Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$94.99
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$61.12
5 hrs ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
21 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Batman/Superman Anthology (Blu-ray)
$37.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #21

Apr 2015

I set up my system the other night, and watched the BD-J5700 for the first time. Very nice, no complaints...other than as some have stated the player doesn't even have a power light on the front, so I can't always tell when it's on. Oh well, discs looked good on screen. I just got the new Samsung J6300 55"...quite a step up from my 15 year old CRT!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedavis View Post
I just had an idea that since the player has no internal memory (you have to put in a USB drive to use BD-Live) there's no place for it to store your last location. I am going to try again with a USB drive and update this post when I have the results.
It's possible, but none of my Samsung players have USB sticks inserted and they don't have issues. They have limited space for such things (I think it's about 1GB. I tried Big Hero 6 just now, the audio option pops up, then the usual stuff, but once you get to the main menu, you have a resume option (it remembered I was 6 seconds in!), I'm not sure, but I thought other Disnay discs gave the option sooner, but I might be getting confused.

The resume feature does seem hit and miss with the Samsungs, I might try a USB stick myself!

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out what you did about BD Wise. I felt as if I were missing out on something when it was not available.
You're welcome, I haven't been collecting BDs long, but I've never seen the 'on' option available with BD Wise.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Are the players silent in operation? Or buzzing, vibration, etc?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #24
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Did anyone read the review, these players are adding noise reduction by default, thus robbing some detail from the picture.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
Netherlands

https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...r-review.11473
Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #26

Apr 2015

Now that I have my new stuff set up, it just took muddling through all the menus and settings to find BD Wise on both my J5700 player and J6300 screen. They're both set to "on," and I confirmed the setting with discs inserted. Is BD Wise great? I dunno....looked pretty good to me, but I will often tweak settings on and off to find what works best for me.

But the point is, the BD Wise settings on the equipment was easy to find....
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
Banned

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I picked up one of these ugly pieces of crap for next to nothing when I bought some new speakers last weekend, and I have to say that I like it.

Love the fast loading - playing a Blu Ray disc is as quick as popping in a CD. Netflix is fast. The menu interface is so easy, Mrs Dump got it to work on her first try.

The only downsides are that the console looks like a piece of trash, so I had to hide it in a nice conspicuous place in the cabinet, and there is no way to tell if the stupid thing is turned on or off. Seriously, would it have killed them to put a tiny indicator light on it somewhere?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #28
Expert Member

Apr 2009

There is also the Samsung BD-J6300. I may pick one up later this year.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/BD-J6300/ZC
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

Amazon now has the 7500 in stock.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zaleska View Post
Now that I have my new stuff set up, it just took muddling through all the menus and settings to find BD Wise on both my J5700 player and J6300 screen. They're both set to "on," and I confirmed the setting with discs inserted. Is BD Wise great? I dunno....looked pretty good to me, but I will often tweak settings on and off to find what works best for me.

But the point is, the BD Wise settings on the equipment was easy to find....
Interesting to find that you can activate the BD Wise feature, from what I've read the function had been discontinued, or was only supported on limited devices. I've got three Samsung televisions (of various ages) and none of the support the feature.

Looking at what it actual does it takes the raw data from the BDs and converts outputs it with the TV's technology and not the Blu-ray player's. Although it does question why a player should be designed to produce less of an image than the display? you would have thought they would have put the technology in the players themselves? it's what they're designed to do!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #31

Apr 2015

I read a little more on the feature, and if I understand it correctly, it's actually designed to upscale standard DVDs.

I've had no issue, and left it on while watching Blu-rays (yes, the BD Wise does engage on my J5700 and J6300 big screen).

Last night, however, I found that with BD Wise on with the David Lynch set "Twin Peaks - The Entire Mystery" (and during the feature film "Fire Walk With Me" and some of the associated deleted scenes) the infamous audio sync issue was present. Not huge as some have reported, but I did notice it. It was afterwards when I disabled the BD Wise and checked some of the same scenes again that the sync worked just fine.

I find that it does take tweaking various settings on a per-disc or per-show basis. My Jeremy Brett "Sherlock Holmes" stuff has looked stunning with very little additional tweaking....
Old 04-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

BD Wise has to be present in the Samsung TV and Samsung BD player.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #33
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zaleska View Post
I read a little more on the feature, and if I understand it correctly, it's actually designed to upscale standard DVDs.
It is, but when we went to Blu-rays they updated the feature so it takes all the heavy lifting away from the player and puts it on the TVs more advanced technology. I still don't understand why that technology isn't present in the players themselves (I know they're a lot cheaper to make)? They should be providing the best output possible, in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #34
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

I am a little baffled as to why anyone would purchase these players knowing they adding NR, when there are many other similar models from other manufacturers that don't?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
I am a little baffled as to why anyone would purchase these players knowing they adding NR, when there are many other similar models from other manufacturers that don't?
Cause avg Joe is buying cheap crap...that needs image smearing to make the crap useful.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #36
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Cause avg Joe is buying cheap crap...that needs image smearing to make the crap useful.
There are players much cheaper than this one that give an unhindered picture.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #37

Apr 2015

Well, if I ultimately find the picture offensive, I can change players in the future. So far I've liked what I have been seeing. I change settings based on the disc, but hey, it's nicer looking than my 27" CRT.
Thanks given by:
Mr Kite (04-30-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #38

Sep 2011
San Diego
Default Bdj-5100

I previously posted a review of the Samsung BDJ-5100. My biggest gripe was the lack of playback resumption on Blu-Ray discs. Not a single disc remembers where I stopped, when those very same discs would properly resume on my older LG player.
This morning I was pleasantly surprised when playing a DVD (Lilies, Wolfe Video, 1996) and when I turned the player on, playback resumed where I left off.
Too bad this does not work for Blu-Rays though. I have resorted to writing down the episode and chapter number where I left off while watching Arrow Season 2.
OK, I take that back. Going through the Batman TV series Blu-Rays, the player does remember where I stopped and resume when I restart. Strange. Arrow and Batman are both from Warner Bros.

Last edited by kedavis; 08-20-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #39
Special Member

Jan 2012

do the lower end samsung 2015 models read blurays as fast as their more expensive model?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #40

Sep 2011
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloween5309 View Post
do the lower end samsung 2015 models read blurays as fast as their more expensive model?
I just timed my Samsung BD-J5100.
It takes 16 seconds from power on with the remote till you can play a Blu-Ray disc, and 8 more seconds when you select the loaded disc for it to play.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders