Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 8 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
20 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Classic Hitchcock (Blu-ray)
$64.99
20 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Street Fighter Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.04

Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #41
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

A funny thing happens when playing the Star Wars Blu Rays on Samsung's BD-J5700.

At random times, the video lags behind everything else for around half a second. At random places in the movie, the image on screen will freeze then jump ahead a second. There is no disturbance in the audio while this happens. It's not repeatable when the disc is restarted or the scene played again, but it then happens again elsewhere. It seems to occur 4 to 6 times per viewing, always at different points in the movie.

Doesn't matter which of the 6 Star Wars movies it is (this strangely only happens with Star Wars movies), it doesn't matter what TV it's being played on (tried on 3 separate TVs - 2 plasmas, one LCD), it doesn't matter which HDMI cables I use, and it doesn't matter what player I use (my house has two of these BD-J5700 players).

I contacted Samsung, and they just gave the predictable "make sure your firmware is up do date, blah blah blah" response. Yes, my players and TVs are up to date.

Anyway, it's a strange glitch with these players (or Star Wars discs) that I discovered and haven't encountered before.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #42

Jul 2015
Canada

is the j5700 a region free capable player?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #43
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

It's only region-free if you buy it region-free. One of mine is, and the other one is not.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #44

Jul 2015
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1 View Post
It's only region-free if you buy it region-free. One of mine is, and the other one is not.
well im talking to someone who has one and he doesnt know if it is or not. how do you check aside from testing it?
nevermind, the box will tell you. this one only has 'a' region on the box. i assume if it was region free, it would list a,b, and c?

Last edited by D2Girls; 11-24-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #45
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Yeah, it is region-locked to A.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #46
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Girls View Post
well im talking to someone who has one and he doesnt know if it is or not. how do you check aside from testing it?
nevermind, the box will tell you. this one only has 'a' region on the box. i assume if it was region free, it would list a,b, and c?
The box would always be region specific unless the mod-company had popped their own label on it (the same goes for the player, no Samsung will say ABC on it unless they've put a new label on the back).
Old 11-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #47
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
A funny thing happens when playing the Star Wars Blu Rays on Samsung's BD-J5700.

At random times, the video lags behind everything else for around half a second. At random places in the movie, the image on screen will freeze then jump ahead a second. There is no disturbance in the audio while this happens. It's not repeatable when the disc is restarted or the scene played again, but it then happens again elsewhere. It seems to occur 4 to 6 times per viewing, always at different points in the movie.

Doesn't matter which of the 6 Star Wars movies it is (this strangely only happens with Star Wars movies), it doesn't matter what TV it's being played on (tried on 3 separate TVs - 2 plasmas, one LCD), it doesn't matter which HDMI cables I use, and it doesn't matter what player I use (my house has two of these BD-J5700 players).

I contacted Samsung, and they just gave the predictable "make sure your firmware is up do date, blah blah blah" response. Yes, my players and TVs are up to date.

Anyway, it's a strange glitch with these players (or Star Wars discs) that I discovered and haven't encountered before.
I've owned a Samsung BD-J5700 for a week now, and I'm watching Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace right now. I've noticed a couple of the exact same split-second glitches that you've mentioned, with the screen lag. I simply rewind each time, though, and the scenes play fine.

I've watched a few other Blu-rays on this J5700 this week, though, and they've all played wonderfully well with no problems at all.

Strange...

With regard to the "backdoor noise reduction" on Samsung Blu-ray players that has been mentioned earlier in this discussion, I have noticed nothing of the sort on my Samsung BD-J5700. The referenced article states that Samsung has been applying backdoor noise reduction to their "non-budget" Blu-ray players, though, and my $70 J5700 is, decidedly, a budget player. Maybe the noise reduction does not apply to my model.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #48
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I've owned a Samsung BD-J5700 for a week now, and I'm watching Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace right now. I've noticed a couple of the exact same split-second glitches that you've mentioned, with the screen lag. I simply rewind each time, though, and the scenes play fine.
Thank goodness it's not just me. Samsung basically told me that their machine was perfect and that I was losing my mind.

There's something very wrong with a new player when it won't properly play a Star Wars movie.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Thank goodness it's not just me. Samsung basically told me that their machine was perfect and that I was losing my mind.

There's something very wrong with a new player when it won't properly play a Star Wars movie.
I mentioned the issue in the Star Wars Complete Saga thread in the North American Blu-rays forum, and someone else replied that their disc of The Phantom Menace has similar problems.

I wonder if it's something specific to those Blu-rays, because I haven't seen the issue anywhere else.

I'm on Revenge of the Sith now, and I'm seeing the same issue from time to time.

These discs are just stopgap Blu-rays for me until the original theatrical versions of IV-VI are hopefully released one day, so I'm not hugely worried about it.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #50
Special Member

Jan 2012

does the sound problem still exist using the tv speakers?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #51
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Quote:
These discs are just stopgap Blu-rays for me until the original theatrical versions of IV-VI are hopefully released one day...
Not me - it looks like the J5700 will be just a stopgap player.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Not me - it looks like the J5700 will be just a stopgap player.
Sadly, it appears so for me as well.

I watched the new 25th Anniversary Blu-ray of Home Alone last night, and I spotted the same random screen lag issues that I saw on the Star Wars discs. Once again, the scenes played fine when I rewound them and watched them again, but there were four or five random screen lags during the movie.

I wonder if it's some issue with the Samsung Blu-ray player and with 20th Century Fox discs.

I'm probably going to take this Samsung J5700 back to Target in a day or two and replace it with a Sony Sony BDP‑S3500. I've always used Samsung Blu-ray players, but it might be time to jump ship.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #53
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Huh. Interesting. What could it be - a firmware issue with not properly playing FOX discs?
Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 AM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Huh. Interesting. What could it be - a firmware issue with not properly playing FOX discs?
I tried something last night...

When I first bought this Samsung J5700 a couple of weeks ago, I set the picture mode to "24fps" instead of "Off" (Those are the only two choices on the Blu-ray player menu settings.) without really thinking about it. My LT 49" 4K UHD television is a 60Hz television.

Last night, I switched the Blu-ray player setting back to "Off" instead of "24fps", and then watched Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I did not notice any screen lags this time around, whereas I had noticed several random screen lags while watching this same movie last week.

The jury is still out on whether or not this is the solution, but I'm going to watch a few more 20th Century Fox Blu-rays to see if the problem continues.

I noticed no difference in picture quality after switching my Blu-ray player setting from "24fps" to "Off", thankfully, so I may as well keep the setting on "Off" if that fixes the problem.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 AM   #55
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Quote:
Last night, I switched the Blu-ray player setting back to "Off" instead of "24fps"
I tried that experiment myself, and still noticed slowdowns. I have tried every setting. I was very methodical with it (2 different TV brands, 2 different players, different HDMI cables), and I am certain it is something inherent in the player.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:45 AM   #56
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
I tried that experiment myself, and still noticed slowdowns. I have tried every setting. I was very methodical with it (2 different TV brands, 2 different players, different HDMI cables), and I am certain it is something inherent in the player.
No dice. I watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and still noticed screen lags.

I've unhooked my Samsung, and it's going back to Target tomorrow. I'll probably replace it with a Sony BDPS3500.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-27-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
I've unhooked my Samsung, and it's going back to Target tomorrow. I'll probably replace it with a Sony BDPS3500.
I replaced it with a Sony BDPS6500. I'm watching The Empire Strikes Back again, and all is well so far!
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-27-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #58
Special Member

Jan 2012

I have not read owners manual for the j series but the samsung bdh6500 has a audio sync adjustment that may fix these issues
you may wanna look and see if the j series has this
Old 12-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Does anyone here know if the Samsung BD-J5100 is a good player? According to Best Buy's circular, it's on sale for only $60 now. I've tried very hard to avoid Samsung players due to the issues I had with their players six years ago, but looking at the reviews, it seems as though they've come a long way over the years. So, I'm willing to give their players another chance if they are indeed good. Can anyone here attest to how good this particular player performs? Any issues whatsoever?

Last edited by MrHT; 12-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #60
Special Member

Feb 2012
NJ

Quote:

I've had the same issue on several discs. I'm going to contact Samsung at some point this week.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders