Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 10 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
15 hrs ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hunter Killer 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Audition (Blu-ray)
$29.33
14 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Oliver! (Blu-ray)
$15.05
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #41

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Thanks for the info. But there's no way now that I would own an X800. The lack of Dolby Vision and so many reports of it freezing up on discs is bad enough, but hearing that the X800 has similar forced DNR as their other players convinces me. I have never owned a Sony player, and until they fix these issues, I never will. Looks like I'll be waiting on a UHD player as Oppo and Panasonic seems to be the only companies that currently make a decent player, and I can't afford either brand.

As far as a region free player, I'm tempted to go with an older model LG from 220-electronics, but their players are lackluster at best, and I'm not thrilled with any of the choices in my affordable range (under $200).

What is Sony thinking? They are going to lose sales over this. I play DVDs through my Panasonic blu-ray player currently and there is A) no checkerboarding or pixellation (other than the obvious DVD compression artifacts) and B) there is no forced DNR.

I thought the 6500 would be the ideal region-free player but this DNR mess has me totally rethinking everything.
The problem you will likely face is that like all electronics companies these days they produce something for a short time they rarely fix any issues properly, they then release a new model with a lof new problems. If you had no problem with sony x800 I would have suggested that as long as you don't need zone C buy one A + a B which is what I did. It works out cheaper than a multizone and you have two players that will last you longer. BTW: I don't know if I am misunderstanding your post but are you sure you can get a multizone player for $200?

I have to insist in the caveat I wrote in my post regarding settings and interactions between components not to mention different results with different discs.
I am a regular guy I couldn't spend the whole day testing with lots of discs changing all the possible combinations like if this is going to be printed in a comparison guide, especially since I am happy with it I have only tested two discs.

As I mentioned the DVD I used is terrible but not only the movie was still quite watchable with the checkerboard I mentioned. I was right next to the tv and I only got that because of this testing.

Under my normal settings (upscaling) and under the factory setting (upscaling but different settings) That checkerboard of artifacts not only doesn't appear but the picture is pretty good (remember is one of my bad not good DVDs).

To top it all up then the settings on my tv which I didn't touch will play a part too. I could have changed the sharpness and get rid of the compression artifacts.

It is not as simple to make a proper comparison, your panasonic should be tested with my tv and with the same disc next to an 800 to reach a more accurate decision on which one produces a better picture.

This is not a problem at allfor me, it is a matter of your own choice of settings.

If the minimal smoothing produced when the sony does the upscaling bothers you just choose keep original resolution and let the TV do the upscaling, that is as long as the tv is capable to do a good job.

Last edited by cochon; 11-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #42
Power Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

These X800 issues don't sound like the same thing described by the OP. In that case, with player's upscaling set to off and all processing options disabled, the player still seemed to be applying some kind of DNR/etc to the video. So turning off the playler's upscaling isn't a solution in that case.

I don't have any of these players, but if I did my concern would mostly be that at least some of these Sony models are apparently subjecting the video to some level of signal processing, even when all those features are supposedly turned off in the menu. That means you can't really trust anything the player is doing internally, software-wise.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 11-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #43
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
I don't know if I am misunderstanding your post but are you sure you can get a multizone player for $200?
There are quite a few region-free players for under or right around $200.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

I'm still finding it hard to believe that this player (and others by Sony) are having this issue. How has nobody else come across this issue? It's not like this player is brand new. How was it not caught during any of the professional reviews? How come Sony has not responded to this?

Are we certain that it isn't just a configuration issue either with the TV or A/V receiver?

I can find mention of this only on this one thread. No mention of it in AVS. Something is really fishy here. It's very frustrating because this is the only thing holding me back form buying the 6700 region-free player. There seems to be very few people who are supporting this claim. And the only proof we have is a couple images of a TV taken with a phone.

Is this just a bunch of hysteria or is this a legitimate issue? I thought Sony's image processing was supposed to be the best? Since when did this change?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #45

Oct 2008
-

It's simple, if you are so worried about a player you don't yet own, just don't buy it. There are plenty of other brands around, why take the risk when there are other alternatives?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
It's simple, if you are so worried about a player you don't yet own, just don't buy it. There are plenty of other brands around, why take the risk when there are other alternatives?
Because there aren't a lot of choices, that's the point. There are very few 3D region-free players. Most on 220-electronics are much older models from 2011-2014. I've looked at importing a region B player form Amazon UK, but again, lack of options. The 3D LG model won't ship to the US due to it only being sold from 3rd party sellers. I want a solid 3D player, and the Sony 6500 would have been ideal if it wasn't for this nonsense with the forced DNR. Right now one my only other options is importing a newer 2016-model Panasonic from the UK, which is a nice player for sure, but then I'd need to buy a separate power converter to my A/V rack, and there's not a ton of available space on my rack for external power converters. I could also buy a 2014 model Panasonic from 220-electronics but I'm on the fence about spending $200 on a 4-year-old player with no firmware updates on the horizon due to it's age. I'll never buy another Samsung player due to my experiences with them in the past. From what I've read the LG models don't do nearly as well at upscaling DVDs as Sony and Panasonic, and I have a lot of older PAL DVD TV shows which I will be playing also, so a good DVD upscaler is also something I want in a player. Again, Sony is supposed to be the best, which is why it's disappointing to hear about this issue.

So getting to the bottom of this 6500 forced DNR issue would be in my best interest, which is why I'm asking if this has been confirmed other than through a couple TV screenshots in this thread.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #47
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Because there aren't a lot of choices, that's the point. There are very few 3D region-free players. Most on 220-electronics are much older models from 2011-2014. I've looked at importing a region B player form Amazon UK, but again, lack of options. The 3D LG model won't ship to the US due to it only being sold from 3rd party sellers. I want a solid 3D player, and the Sony 6500 would have been ideal if it wasn't for this nonsense with the forced DNR. Right now one my only other options is importing a newer 2016-model Panasonic from the UK, which is a nice player for sure, but then I'd need to buy a separate power converter to my A/V rack, and there's not a ton of available space on my rack for external power converters. I could also buy a 2014 model Panasonic from 220-electronics but I'm on the fence about spending $200 on a 4-year-old player with no firmware updates on the horizon due to it's age. I'll never buy another Samsung player due to my experiences with them in the past. From what I've read the LG models don't do nearly as well at upscaling DVDs as Sony and Panasonic, and I have a lot of older PAL DVD TV shows which I will be playing also, so a good DVD upscaler is also something I want in a player. Again, Sony is supposed to be the best, which is why it's disappointing to hear about this issue.

So getting to the bottom of this 6500 forced DNR issue would be in my best interest, which is why I'm asking if this has been confirmed other than through a couple TV screenshots in this thread.
I have the oppo 93, modified to be region free and 3-d, i cant speak about dnr
Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Well there's no way I can afford an Oppo, which is why I'm concerned about this issue with the recent Sony players.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

This is the biggest bunch of unfounded bolones I've ever read. Sony BD6500 is a mini tank of a player and I highly recommend it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Is this just a bunch of hysteria or is this a legitimate issue? I thought Sony's image processing was supposed to be the best? Since when did this change?
I think it's probably an issue with the OP's setup. I have this player (modded for region free) and haven't noticed anything like this.

Last edited by noirjunkie; 12-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
I think it's probably an issue with the OP's setup. I have this player (modded for region free) and haven't noticed anything like this.
Also picture options must be switched to 'Direct' as all other options will apply smoothing to the picture.
I had a standard BD6500 and even after going though UHD upgrade with a Samsung 8500 first, then a LG UP970 later, I still kept it because I was so satisfied with it.
Now I replaced my 6500 with a new modded 6500 courtesy of Multy-Systems and it's been the best money I've ever spent on home theater equipment

Old 12-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #52

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Also picture options must be switched to 'Direct' as all other options will apply smoothing to the picture.
I had a standard BD6500 and even after going though UHD upgrade with a Samsung 8500 first, then a LG UP970 later, I still kept it because I was so satisfied with it.
Now I replaced my 6500 with a new modded 6500 courtesy of Multy-Systems and it's been the best money I've ever spent on home theater equipment

I'm curious about this Direct option. Where is it set? I dont remember seeing that in the main settings, or in the secondary menu while a disc is playing.

Mine is region modded by Multi-Systems as well. Bought it in July, but have not upgraded the firmware, due to the possibility of it disabling the region free mod.

Blu-ray playback I can live with, but DVD playback on the 6500 is just awful. It seems to affect extremely grainy/ noisy DVDs like the 2006 unaltered Star Wars DVDs. I'd love to get screen caps, but dont have any equipment to do so.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
I'm curious about this Direct option. Where is it set? I dont remember seeing that in the main settings, or in the secondary menu while a disc is playing.

Mine is region modded by Multi-Systems as well. Bought it in July, but have not upgraded the firmware, due to the possibility of it disabling the region free mod.

Blu-ray playback I can live with, but DVD playback on the 6500 is just awful. It seems to affect extremely grainy/ noisy DVDs like the 2006 unaltered Star Wars DVDs. I'd love to get screen caps, but dont have any equipment to do so.
Click 'Options' on the remote. Scroll up to 'Video Settings'. Select 'DIRECT'.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 AM   #54

Apr 2013

Quote:
Click 'Options' on the remote. Scroll up to 'Video Settings'. Select 'DIRECT'.

Oh wow, right in front of me. However, it did not make any difference. I originally had it on Custom1, with every setting turned off/set to 0. But I will keep it on Direct though.

I took some more comparison pictures off the TV. Again. I wish I could get direct screen captures, but I do not have the equipment.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/126658

I apologize for the color difference, not sure why that shows. To my eyes while looking at the TV, they look identical in color saturation. But anyway....

At first glance it looks like the Sony is better, but when watching it in motion, the Samsung looks better. The Sony smooths out the extremely heavy grain/ noise and wipes away detail. Looks particularly bad during fast motion. While the Samsung retains the heavy grain/ noise. But at the least, the difference in playback is definitely noticeable in the pictures. Its only really noticeable does in grain heavy films like Tron and the original King Kong. Modern films are not affected by it too much. DVDs only, Blu-rays dont do this, or at least I cant perceive it.

I also have a PS3, Xbox 360, HD-DVD player, and a 1080P upscaling DVD player, and their playback of this exact DVD all look identical to the Samsung. Only the Sony S6500 is the outlier.

Either the player is supposed to do this, and I just need to live with it, or there is something buggy with it. I'd love to hear your opinion on it.

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #55

Oct 2008
-

Have you checked on the TV the settings for that HDMI input (noise reduction, sharpness and motion) are they the same as for the other players (on the TV) HDMI input? They keep independent settings.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Did you also turn everything off im the Sony, including Deep Color and all other picture processing?

Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #57

Apr 2013

Quote:
Did you also turn everything off im the Sony, including Deep Color and all other picture processing?

Yes, all settings are off in the main menu. Deep Color, SBM, and IP Content NR Pro are all set to off.

Output video resolution is set to Auto. Though I experimented with setting it to 1080P as well, but that made no difference.

BD-Rom and DVD are set to 24P output.

YCbCr/RGB is set to Auto

4K Output is set to off. Though I experimented by setting it to Auto1 and 2, but that made no difference.

In response to Cochon, I am using the same HDMI port and cable for all players. All TV filter settings are set to off.

Last edited by Vanguard; 12-19-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fix misspelled word
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Yes, all settings are off in the main menu. Deep Color, SBM, and IP Content NR Pro are all set to off.

Output video resolution is set to Auto. Though I experimented with setting it to 1080P as well, but that made no difference.

BD-Rom and DVD are set to 24P output.

YCbCr/RGB is set to Auto

4K Output is set to off. Though I experimented by setting it to Auto1 and 2, but that made no difference.

In response to Cochon, I am using the same HDMI port and cable for all players. All TV filter settings are set to off.
That's very odd. I also used a Samsung 8500 and recently a LG UP970 and I don't notice any difference as compared to Sony BD6500

Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #59

Apr 2013

Quote:
That's very odd. I also used a Samsung 8500 and recently a LG UP970 and I don't notice any difference as compared to Sony BD6500

I might try different HDMI cables and different televisions. Something may be goofy on how the player talks to the TV. If nothing else, I only have a few non Region 1 DVDs that would be affected by this, so I can live with it.

Thanks for the help though!
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Well there are two people in here that have posted comparison shots and see the same issue. And I know that many people can't see picture issues even when they are looking at them. Just because some people say "I don't have that issue" doesn't meant hey don't have it - it just means they don't notice it. I see lots of picture issues my girlfriend doesn't notice. So I consider this an issue that is worth exploring deeper until it is proven one way or the other if it is the player.
Thanks given by:
David M (02-01-2018), robertzombie (01-04-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders