Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Soon: Spider-Man Limited Edition Col… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32
18 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
 
Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
barsalou barsalou is offline
Senior Member
 
barsalou's Avatar
 
Dec 2017
Mausoleum
1
Default Quiet blu-ray players

Anyone know of a quiet blu-ray player? I recently replaced my old HP with a Sony BDP-S3700 and it makes this loud fan/buzzing sound while playing discs. I tend to watch movies at low volume so it makes things even worse. Admittedly, I'm very fussy when it comes to this, but it's something I just can't endure. I know this was a relatively inexpensive machine and don't mind paying a bit more as long as it's silent. I searched for info, but came up with nothing, hopefully I'm not alone on this and you guys have some recommendations.

Don't need 4k upscaling, but it has to play region A discs.

Cheers

Last edited by barsalou; 03-04-2018 at 04:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
buchacho (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
buchacho buchacho is offline
Member
 
buchacho's Avatar
 
May 2009
58
Default

I was looking at that model you have. I use a PS3, but it is way too loud, so I am also looking for a quiet player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
CV19 CV19 is offline
Special Member
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
644
126
Default

I can recommend the Sony UBP-X800. I've always found it to be nice and quiet, and it's a well built machine too.

Although I'm in the UK, which is of course Region B, I'm sure this player is available in the USA too - it's currently listed on the Sony.com website.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ayers/ubp-x800
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
12
622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchacho View Post
I was looking at that model you have. I use a PS3, but it is way too loud, so I am also looking for a quiet player.
I use a PS3,mine is as quiet as a mouse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
barsalou barsalou is offline
Senior Member
 
barsalou's Avatar
 
Dec 2017
Mausoleum
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchacho View Post
I was looking at that model you have. I use a PS3, but it is way too loud, so I am also looking for a quiet player.
I have a couple friends who own PS3s and the BDP-S3700 is definitely more quiet, might just do the trick for you. I am hyper sensitive in this area, I think most people would't be bothered by it, but it seriously messes with my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
I can recommend the Sony UBP-X800. I've always found it to be nice and quiet, and it's a well built machine too.

Although I'm in the UK, which is of course Region B, I'm sure this player is available in the USA too - it's currently listed on the Sony.com website.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ayers/ubp-x800
Thanks for the recommendation, I really appreciate it. Seems like this player might be my only option. I don't even have a 4k TV and wasn't planning on spending $400 (in Canada)... definitely considering this one right one since I absolutely need something really quiet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
gambit64 gambit64 is online now
Active Member
 
gambit64's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Minnesota
Default

We have had the x800 since BF. It's still quiet as a mouse and no issues yet. It played the few 4k movies I have and could convert them nicely to my 1080p tv so I could enjoy the better audio. We recently bought a 4k tv so now can also enjoy the better PQ with 4k disks. (on a side note, discs need to be perfectly fingerprint-free as the player seems to be sensitive, but that's no issue as they can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth before playing if necessary) Back on subject, I am amazed at how quiet it is so far.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
CV19 CV19 is offline
Special Member
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
644
126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsalou View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, I really appreciate it. Seems like this player might be my only option. I don't even have a 4k TV and wasn't planning on spending $400 (in Canada)... definitely considering this one right one since I absolutely need something really quiet.
You're very welcome. My other machine is the Sony BDP S6700 which I now use for a smaller TV in another room. The X800 is much dearer admittedly, but is a heavier and more solid machine than my other model......and quieter too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
barsalou barsalou is offline
Senior Member
 
barsalou's Avatar
 
Dec 2017
Mausoleum
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
You're very welcome. My other machine is the Sony BDP S6700 which I now use for a smaller TV in another room. The X800 is much dearer admittedly, but is a heavier and more solid machine than my other model......and quieter too.
I got the x800 today and have to agree with everything being said, this machine is absolutely incredible. Heavy, sturdy, just a great quality product all around... and most importantly, it's silent as can be, can't hear it at all.

Definitely the best player I've ever owned, thanks again everyone for the input!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
tiger_qc tiger_qc is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tiger_qc's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada
69
1267
219
86
73
84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I use a PS3,mine is as quiet as a mouse.
A PS3 quiet as a mouse! LOL!!!
I used both the fat PS3 and the slim one before I had a dedicated player and they're very noisy but I now own a BDP-S1500 region free and it's even worse so I can't recommend any. I actually don't mind as I tend to watch movies very loud, what's the point of having a HT if you don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
Shingster Shingster is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I use a PS3,mine is as quiet as a mouse.
I suggest you go and have your hearing checked out. You might need hearing aids.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
12
622
Default

Mines quiet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 AM   #12
Shingster Shingster is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2009
Default

And my PS3 ejects 2-carat diamonds every time I complete a game!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:12 AM   #13
ben6543 ben6543 is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics
106
159
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsalou View Post
Anyone know of a quiet blu-ray player? I recently replaced my old HP with a Sony BDP-S3700 and it makes this loud fan/buzzing sound while playing discs. I tend to watch movies at low volume so it makes things even worse. Admittedly, I'm very fussy when it comes to this, but it's something I just can't endure. I know this was a relatively inexpensive machine and don't mind paying a bit more as long as it's silent. I searched for info, but came up with nothing, hopefully I'm not alone on this and you guys have some recommendations.

Don't need 4k upscaling, but it has to play region A discs.

Cheers
my sony was making a loud buzzing noise recently it used to never do that. I just put a book underneath my player and its quiet again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
buchacho buchacho is offline
Member
 
buchacho's Avatar
 
May 2009
58
Default

I'm surprised by the "quiet as a mouse" characterization of the PS3. There's an HDD, fan, and disk spinning in there. I am also somewhat sensitive to sounds, and would rather get rid of the noise than try to overpower it. It's especially annoying when trying to listen to an interview at night while trying to keep the volume low. I'll try the Sony BDP-S3700.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
12
622
Default

I just love how others know how my machine sounds.
If mine is quiet,then it’s quiet.....I’m not trying to sell the machine.

Last edited by Bullitt; 03-06-2018 at 09:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
tiger_qc tiger_qc is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tiger_qc's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada
69
1267
219
86
73
84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I just love how others know how my machine sounds.
If mine is quiet,then it’s quiet.....I’m not trying to sell the machine.
It's probably because yours no diffreent that all those up there. In addition of the disc spinning there's a rotating HDD to add even more noise and since a PS3 is basically a 7 core powerful computer, it can't be quiet. It's funny because you don't have a standalone BD player to compare, my Blu-ray player disc spinning noise is worst than a PS3 but at least the fans aren't and there's no HDD in it. But when a movie is playing I can't hear any of this stuff because unlike the OP I watch movies loud so even when there's no dialogs or action sequences I don't hear it because my receiver is working hard and make more noise with the fans trying to cool it down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
12
622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post
It's probably because yours no diffreent that all those up there. In addition of the disc spinning there's a rotating HDD to add even more noise and since a PS3 is basically a 7 core powerful computer, it can't be quiet. It's funny because you don't have a standalone BD player to compare, my Blu-ray player disc spinning noise is worst than a PS3 but at least the fans aren't and there's no HDD in it. But when a movie is playing I can't hear any of this stuff because unlike the OP I watch movies loud so even when there's no dialogs or action sequences I don't hear it because my receiver is working hard and make more noise with the fans trying to cool it down.
You know whatís really funny?
I do have a stand alone player to compare it to,again,more assuming from others that know best.

Youís have bored me enough already with your expertise assumptions.yawn!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
tiger_qc tiger_qc is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tiger_qc's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada
69
1267
219
86
73
84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You know whatís really funny?

I do have a stand alone player to compare it to,again,more assuming from others that know best.



Youís have bored me enough already with your expertise assumptions.yawn!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I use a PS3,mine is as quiet as a mouse.
Okay so why do you use a PS3 if you do have a standalone player? Gaming console are meant for gaming and they maybe used to watch movies if you donít have a standalone device to do so. You donít need a 7 core super computer to read a blu-ray! BTW a PS3 is a PS3 I had both models and yours exactly the same as mine or any other posters who laughed at your post assuming itís quiet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
12
622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post
Okay so why do you use a PS3 if you do have a standalone player? Gaming console are meant for gaming and they maybe used to watch movies if you don’t have a standalone device to do so. You don’t need a 7 core super computer to read a blu-ray! BTW a PS3 is a PS3 I had both models and yours exactly the same as mine or any other posters who laughed at your post assuming it’s quiet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t play games,I don’t even own a controller.
My PS3 is my main BD player and I have another Sony in the bedroom.

The PS3 is an excellent Blu-ray player,that’s why I chose it as my main player.

Not sure why I continue to have this conversation,I am more than happy with my quiet PlayStation now move on.

I don’t care that yours is noisy,that’s a shame,mines not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #20
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3736
3664
3
2
Default

I have an older fat 80gb PS3 and it runs quietly enough for me, but then I am using a home theater, sit several feet away from it, and I play everything at least a conversational volume level or higher. I don't hear it unless I am actively listening for it when paused or when I am close enough to insert a disc. It was my first blu-ray player and it does not get used much now.

My Oppo 93 and my brand new Oppo 203 are both very quiet; I do not hear them running even when I pause the disc or even during the most silent of scenes. These are both excellent machines and I could not be happier with them unless they had been gifted to me.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.