Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (Blu-ray)
$27.99
18 hrs ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
1 day ago
Dawn of the Dead / Land of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
1 day ago
The Exorcist (Blu-ray)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
$89.45
6 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Girl from Rio 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
15 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
11 hrs ago
Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
1 day ago
Summer School (Blu-ray)
$15.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #17461
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
This brings us to the bigger picture, the quality of Picture and Sound for Streaming Digital. The people that like Streaming enjoy watching their Movies and TV Shows. I have always said my Streaming is Fantastic, I don't see any Degradation or problems. We need some Streaming Specs and Guidelines, if they want to win over the Disc people.
I think it is safe to say that we ALL enjoy watching movies and TV shows.

You think streaming is fantastic and that's all fine and dandy for you, but you also have no reference frame for comparison. You do not own a 4K disc player and you have not seen any 4K discs in action, so you are in no position to comment upon the quality difference between 4K discs and 4k streaming.

We already have streaming specs; many of our members have already shown them to you several times with multiple supporting links. You just ignore them because you don't like what they objectively show to be true.

The streaming providers each publish their "guidelines" for viewing their content; they have always done so.

Streaming needs to improve their video and audio quality and offer real ownership if they want to even attempt "to win over the Disc people." That means using less compression and offering lossless audio for starters. They need to offer 1:1 disc quality downloads without DRM for their digital purchases. They need to improve their selection also as many of their so-called original series are just awful.

This "disc person" uses streaming already, so I do not exactly need to be "won over." I use it to sample and rent content, but I will never purchase digital content in its current form as it conveys no actual ownership and no control over the content. No amount of improvements in A/V quality alone addresses that ownership issue, so digital remains a "no sale" with me.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-07-2019 at 07:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Anthony P (09-07-2019), dublinbluray108 (09-07-2019), flyry (09-08-2019), rui no onna (09-07-2019), Wendell R. Breland (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #17462
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
If we are talking about the initial starting of a movie instead of changing discs in the middle of a viewing session, then locating and loading a disc is still just as fast and just as easy. All of my movies are alphabetized by title within each format and I know exactly where to find any specific one of them. I can locate and load a disc as quickly, maybe even quicker, than I can navigate a streaming provider's menu system. Neither loading a disc nor navigating a streaming provider's menu requires any substantive effort. Take it from a lazy retired man; both are easy to do.
agree, I always get the feeling that it is people that have never collected films that think it will be hared to find a film in a personal collection. My collection is by category (e.g. "zombie type movies") and each category is limited by shelf size (so 75-80) and in alphabetical order.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #17463
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
In a few years' time I can totally see kids reacting with disdain to us old fuddy-duddies using remote controls while they control everything via their voice.
have you been to a record shop lately? you will find more people that are younger then CD then people that are older. Personally I don't want anyone talking while I am watching a film so voice control will never be part of my HT
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #17464
rui no onna rui no onna is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Streaming needs to improve their video and audio quality and offer real ownership if they want to even attempt "to win over the Disc people." That means using less compression and offering lossless audio for starters. They need to offer 1:1 disc quality downloads without DRM for their digital purchases. They need to improve their selection also as many of their so-called original series are just awful.

This "disc person" uses streaming already, so I do not exactly need to be "won over." I use it to sample and rent content, but I will never purchase digital content in its current form as it conveys no actual ownership and no control over the content. No amount of improvements in A/V quality alone addresses that ownership issue, so digital remains a "no sale" with me.
Especially not when they're charging the same $20+ price for digital as they are for physical.

I appreciate that Walmart has their InstaWatch/Vudu Disc+Digital program.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #17465
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
have you been to a record shop lately? you will find more people that are younger then CD then people that are older. Personally I don't want anyone talking while I am watching a film so voice control will never be part of my HT
Indeed. I keep a roll of duct tape on my coffee table and if anyone gets chatty during the movie well, you, know what happens next.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #17466
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong or there is a typo, but I only wish I could store 250 films per foot of shelf space!

I measured and I only get 24 movies shelved per foot of shelf space if they are in standard blu-ray cases and just 21 per foot with standard DVD cases.
reading it wrong

Quote:
A 6 inch deep shelving system with 10 shelves (more or less floor to ceiling) can store ~250 films per foot.
It was about wall space not shelf space.

so
24*10=240, 25*10=250 the number will never be precise some cases can be thicker, there can be a multi film case which will mean more films per foot....
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #17467
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Indeed. I keep a roll of duct tape on my coffee table and if anyone gets chatty during the movie well, you, know what happens next.
I don't go that far, but I do have a box with the label "cell/tablets" in front of my HT and I did tell this one person that could not get the hint that if he made one more sound I would kick him out of my HT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #17468
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
Guess our apartment is smaller than normal. Walls with 5' stretches are already occupied by either bed or sofa or TV/entertainment center. A couple of dressers for clothing. Two bookshelves 3' wide (one in LR and one in BR) that stores books, music and movies. I already stopped buying books like 10 years ago and switched completely to ebooks. Culled my physical books to just favorites.
like I said, there can be situations where there is really a lack of space. I was also not giving decorating advice with my post, just pointing out the obvious (how little space is needed). Now if it makes more sense to have two shelving units on either side of the TV, shelves above a dresser.... people should go with what works for them. Also my math was based on films in cases, if not the space needed becomes much smaller. The point was someone that wants a large physical collection will most likely be able to do so, someone that wants to make excuses will do so as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #17469
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragnitoM View Post
If iTunes did DTS/Lossless audio, I think Iíd go exclusively digital.
Have you ever checked the data rates of lossless audio? If you ever do then you should understand lossless audio via streaming is not likely for a very long time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
fatboy1111 (09-07-2019), GenPion (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #17470
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I think it is safe to say that we ALL enjoy watching movies and TV shows.

You think streaming is fantastic and that's all fine and dandy for you, but you also have no reference frame for comparison. You do not own a 4K disc player and you have not seen any 4K discs in action, so you are in no position to comment upon the quality difference between 4K discs and 4k streaming.

We already have streaming specs; many of our members have already shown them to you several times with multiple supporting links. You just ignore them because you don't like what they objectively show to be true.

The streaming providers each publish their "guidelines" for viewing their content; they have always done so.

Streaming needs to improve their video and audio quality and offer real ownership if they want to even attempt "to win over the Disc people." That means using less compression and offering lossless audio for starters. They need to offer 1:1 disc quality downloads without DRM for their digital purchases. They need to improve their selection also as many of their so-called original series are just awful.

This "disc person" uses streaming already, so I do not exactly need to be "won over." I use it to sample and rent content, but I will never purchase digital content in its current form as it conveys no actual ownership and no control over the content. No amount of improvements in A/V quality alone addresses that ownership issue, so digital remains a "no sale" with me.
I would say film is my life and has been since I was a little boy. Just as some couldnít live without dance, music, books or theatre, I couldnít cope without films. Itís that simple.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #17471
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
145
502
143
118
500
64
7
64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
have you been to a record shop lately? you will find more people that are younger then CD then people that are older. Personally I don't want anyone talking while I am watching a film so voice control will never be part of my HT
https://uproxx.com/music/vinyl-recor...beat-cd-sales/
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
GenPion (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #17472
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Remember kiddies that the best way to clean and protect your vinyl is with....



Your stylus will glide effortlessly across your albums! Less friction= longer life!

Last edited by Vilya; 09-08-2019 at 04:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:01 AM   #17473
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I would say film is my life and has been since I was a little boy. Just as some couldn’t live without dance, music, books or theatre, I couldn’t cope without films. It’s that simple.
Another great reason to buy movies on physical media; doing so prolongs Steedeel's life! Do your part everyone, buy a blu-ray or a 4K disc NOW!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #17474
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Another great reason to buy movies on physical media; doing so prolongs Steedeel's life! Do your part everyone, buy a blu-ray or a 4K disc NOW!
Donít tell them that, even the hardcore collectors will switch to digital now!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #17475
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
We need some Streaming Specs and Guidelines, if they want to win over the Disc people.
You really think Netflix cares how Disney✛ will do their streaming or Amazon cares how VUDU does theirs, if you do do then I have this big bridge I will sell you on the cheap!!

Streaming is a CF when it comes to what hardware is needed for HDR and immersive audio. You have to go to each providers site to see a list of hardware that provider is compatible with. Prime example, the new FireTV has most of the new features unless you want Disney✛ because that is not on any FireTV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #17476
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
You really think Netflix cares how Disney✛ will do their streaming or Amazon cares how VUDU does theirs, if you do do then I have this big bridge I will sell you on the cheap!!

Streaming is a CF when it comes to what hardware is needed for HDR and immersive audio. You have to go to each providers site to see a list of hardware that provider is compatible with. Prime example, the new FireTV has most of the new features unless you want Disney✛ because that is not on any FireTV.
Amazon and Disney have been in a long running feud, so I am not surprised that the new Disney streaming app is not available on their Fire TV products.

Amazon seems to think that they can dictate terms to the entire world; they have a similar spat with Warner Brothers, too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #17477
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Amazon seems to think that they can dictate terms to the entire world; they have a similar spat with Warner Brothers, too.
Disney is a problem child as well, never joined UV, never would do a contract with Redbox, sued Rebox (sorta a win), with Universal sued Sony (lost).

Just for grins I would like to know what is really going on between Disney and Redbox. The latest Disney releases make no mention of a digital code refund.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #17478
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Disney is a problem child as well, never joined UV, never would do a contract with Redbox, sued Rebox (sorta a win), with Universal sued Sony (lost).

Just for grins I would like to know what is really going on between Disney and Redbox. The latest Disney releases make no mention of a digital code refund.
If Disney is required to make such a refund upon request, that's mandatory and they have to comply. Disney advertising the availability of such a refund is likely not required and thus they do not do so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #17479
oak table oak table is offline
Active Member
 
oak table's Avatar
 
May 2017
Denver Metro
26
270
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Amazon seems to think that they can dictate terms to the entire world; they have a similar spat with Warner Brothers, too.
Is that why my Warner Archive purchases bought from Amazon always arrive late? It must be payback from Warner Brothers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #17480
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak table View Post
Is that why my Warner Archive purchases bought from Amazon always arrive late? It must be payback from Warner Brothers.
My August 12th order of The Witches on Warner Archives blu-ray still has not shipped from Amazon despite its Aug. 20th release date; my estimated arrival is not until Sept. 17th.

Getting Warner Bros. or Disney releases on release day from Amazon is all but impossible.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.