Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$57.99
16 hrs ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$48.49
16 hrs ago
Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy (Blu-ray)
$51.96

Vermeil in Gold: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Patlabor: The Mobile Police - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.89
1 day ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.63
1 day ago
One Piece Film: Red (Blu-ray)
$22.99

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Omega: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Love After World Domination: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Bust to Bust (Blu-ray)
$26.17
8 hrs ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$18.54
3 hrs ago
Restaurant to Another World: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #721
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briwas101 View Post
It's unfortunate that the codes are leaving. I also noticed it with Attack on Titan final season part 2. This was kind of expected though, as crynchyroll releases didn't come with codes, so with everything going under the crynchyroll name going forward it was assumed that digital copies would no longer be included.
They want their bluray releases to *supplement* their streaming service, not compete with it or diminish its value. People who buy enough of their blurays (like me) could build a large enough digital collection that a monthly subscription isn't necessary. People could also sell off the codes or go halfsies (one person gets discs, one person gets code) which reduces demand for their streaming subscription.
My assumption: legacy bluray/dvd combos will be retired to bluray only, and bluray/digital combos will be retired to bluray-only. It looks like initial releases are still getting the bluray/dvd treatment, but they will probably later release bluray/only versions as they move away from DVD.
I agree with your assumptions.

The true irony here is that Funimation had the correct business plan. Providing digital copy codes gets people to use their app. The app will show you anime shows you don't currently own, and the monthly membership isn't so costly that it's prohibitive.

I subscribed to Funimation for a while and made good use of the membership. I only stopped because their internal payment system messed up and randomly started rejecting my PayPal account, and I wasn't about to provide them with other payment details.

Contrast that with Crunchyroll, where I hate ads and don't otherwise have a reason to use their app. I doubt I'll ever subscribe, precisely because they're so worried about competing with their own product that they don't understand that sometimes the word "synergy" isn't just a dumb marketing buzzword.

Sentai doesn't provide digital copies, but they make up for it with (usually) lower prices.

In any case, we'll see where the digital anime industry goes from here, but I think the Funimation buyout is just flat-out bad for the anime space as a whole. I've bought more anime from Funimation than any other distributor, precisely because they understood cost-to-value very well.
Thanks given by:
armand77 (01-18-2023), briwas101 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 02:59 PM   #722
Power Member

Feb 2020
Somewhere in Canada

https://twitter.com/CliffordChapin/s...98791526105090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Chapin
"I never realized we own so many antiques," I think as I look at all the things in my home that wear the FUNimation logo.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:01 AM   #723

Feb 2013

For those who care about dubs, Crunchyroll got back the leads from the Sentai cast of Vinland Saga for season 2 (which will end up on the future Blu-ray release)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...w-release-date

Quote:
Mike Haimoto as Thorfinn and Josh Grelle as Canute
Thanks given by:
armand77 (01-25-2023), Kid Boruto (01-25-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #724
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTK
Something that wasn't posted here from November 1, 2022:

Q2 FY2022 Consolidated Financial Results

The integration of the Crunchyroll and Funimation services is progressing smoothly, and the number of paying members has increased to nearly 10 million so far, an expansion of the business that exceeds our initial expectations.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...e52#post834438

The full relevant Crunchyroll slide is on page 17.
Quote:
Now, I will give you an update on Crunchyroll, our anime distribution business.

• The integration of the Crunchyroll and Funimation services is progressing smoothly, and the number of paying members has increased to nearly 10 million so far, an expansion of the business that exceeds our initial expectations.

• The company is also actively involved in overseas theatrical distribution of Japanese anime. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero was released in August in the U.S. and secured the number one box office revenue in the first week of its release.

• Also, on August 4, we completed the acquisition of The Right Stuf, Inc., a U.S. e-commerce company that sells anime DVDs, character goods, comics and more.

• Through this acquisition, Crunchyroll will aim to strengthen its merchandising business and establish a more multifaceted and deeper engagement with the anime fan community
Old 01-30-2023, 07:03 AM   #725
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_H View Post
For those who care about dubs, Crunchyroll got back the leads from the Sentai cast of Vinland Saga for season 2 (which will end up on the future Blu-ray release)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...w-release-date
You know I care about dubs and I am fine with the season 1 dub of vinland saga but this is one of the few shows where I would not have cared if they had changed the voice actors. Almost the whole cast is gone by season 2 and the remaining characters change drastically physically and mentally in season 2 for the most part. Thorkells probably the only character without a massive evolution.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:01 AM   #726
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Anywhere but here

Crunchyroll have quietly dropped the third Hi-Evolution film on to their service along with the rest of the trilogy. I suspect this doesnít bode well for a physical release.

https://twitter.com/jrpictures/statu...i7CmtRMkgp9Rbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPictures
Crunchyroll has added all 3 films in the #EurekaSevenHiEvolution trilogy, available in both sub and dub. #EurekaSeven

crunchyroll.com/series/GQWH0MPÖ
Old 02-03-2023, 03:09 AM   #727

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
Crunchyroll have quietly dropped the third Hi-Evolution film on to their service along with the rest of the trilogy. I suspect this doesn’t bode well for a physical release.
I still have beef with them for keeping the Saga of Tanya the Evil and Trinity Seven movies exclusive to streaming only.
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (02-06-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 03:14 AM   #728
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Oh hey, now I can finally legally stream another trainwreck. Seriously, stop trying to turn this into a franchise.

Anyway, if they don't release the final movie on Blu-ray, that's going to be quite annoying for the few people that actually like everything they've done post the original TV series.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:46 AM   #729
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misioon_Odisea View Post
I still have beef with them for keeping the Saga of Tanya the Evil and Trinity Seven movies exclusive to streaming only.
Which is a damn shame because the Saga of Tanya the Evil movie is really good! Itís going to be really awkward when Season 2 finally comes out and thereís a big chunk of the story missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
Oh hey, now I can finally legally stream another trainwreck. Seriously, stop trying to turn this into a franchise.

Anyway, if they don't release the final movie on Blu-ray, that's going to be quite annoying for the few people that actually like everything they've done post the original TV series.
I actually really enjoyed the second film and was cautiously optimistic to see if they could follow up on itís bonkers ending (spoiler alert: they didnít). Alas, I agree that Eureka Seven should probably nip it in the bud now that Hi-Evolution has come and gone.
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (02-06-2023), Misioon_Odisea (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 03:51 AM   #730
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers was okay, then Asstral Ocean ended up being the worst anime of all-time that is so bad it breaks the scale and couldn't even get a 0/10, and I never heard good things about the first Hi-Evolution movie.

It just astounds me how they tried to turn it into a franchise when it wasn't going to work.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:33 PM   #731
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Anywhere but here

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-02-03/194511

Quote:
Crunchyroll Delays English Dubs for Revenger, Buddy Daddies, Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, Blue Lock, My Hero Academia, More Anime

Crunchyroll announced on Friday that it is postponing English-dubbed episodes for several winter 2023 season anime due to inclement weather delays in the Dallas area where the series are dubbed.

The next dub episodes for the following anime will be delayed to the dates listed below:

February 9
  • Revenger Episode 3
  • The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World Episode 3

February 10
  • Buddy Daddies Episode 3
  • Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 3
  • The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made Season 2 Episode 3

February 11
  • Blue Lock Episode 15
  • Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for My Retirement Episode 3
  • My Hero Academia Episode 129
  • The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist In Another World Episode 3
  • Trigun Stampede Episode 3

February 12
  • By the Grace of the Gods Season 2 Episode 3
  • Handyman Saitō in Another World Episode 3

February 13
  • Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 3

February 14
  • Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World Episode 3
  • The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague Episode 3

February 15
  • BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. Season 2 Episode 3

February 17
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Northern War - Northern War Episode 3

February 19
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Episode 2

Crunchyroll will give more updates on upcoming English-dubbed episodes in the future.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:19 PM   #732
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

I'm keeping up with the Berserk Memorial Edition dub, I'm glad that wasn't delayed. I've really been enjoying hearing the original voice actors back in their roles again.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #733
Blu-ray Baron

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Being a sub-only anime fan sure makes life easier - so much less drama to worry about, lol.
Thanks given by:
armand77 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:14 PM   #734
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

But there is still drama, you just often don't hear about it unless it's reported in English and you're looking for it. Also we've seen a bunch more anime get delayed due to COVID yet again.
Thanks given by:
armand77 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #735
Blu-ray Baron

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
But there is still drama, you just often don't hear about it unless it's reported in English and you're looking for it. Also we've seen a bunch more anime get delayed due to COVID yet again.
No, I meant drama in the forum - there are pages and pages of posts with people whining about dubs concerning the voice actors, or an anime getting or not getting a dub, or something not right with this or that in the dub... so tired of having to skip over them all.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #736
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
No, I meant drama in the forum - there are pages and pages of posts with people whining about dubs concerning the voice actors, or an anime getting or not getting a dub, or something not right with this or that in the dub... so tired of having to skip over them all.
The pages and pages of people discussing dubs is comparable to the pages and pages of sub only viewers who can't refrain from whining every time dubs are mentioned. I guess that makes everything even.
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (02-05-2023), El3mental (02-07-2023), El_Fez (03-14-2023), GeoffOliver (02-05-2023), Nothing371 (02-06-2023), shadowdrive (02-15-2023), Tylerfan (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #737
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

The dub vs. sub wars are far more insufferable than console wars with fanboys to be perfectly honest, and this is coming from someone who watches most anime subbed and generally prefers it.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (02-07-2023), GeoffOliver (02-05-2023), InuYashaCrusade (02-05-2023), SteamfloggerBoss (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #738
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

The dub vs. sub debate has been pointless ever since bilingual DVDs and later streaming allowed everyone to easily choose which version they wanted to watch (or both if they wanted).
Old 02-05-2023, 08:14 PM   #739

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
The dub vs. sub debate has been pointless ever since bilingual DVDs and later streaming allowed everyone to easily choose which version they wanted to watch (or both if they wanted).
I don't really care what other people do, and I don't know why some people seem to care so much about other people's choices. I do think that people who refuse to watch sub only titles are missing out on some really good stuff, but that's their loss.
Thanks given by:
SteamfloggerBoss (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:20 PM   #740

Apr 2019
Sacramento, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
Thankfully I always wait until a series is fully dubbed first, before I start watching.

That said, I do hope everyone in Texas is safe/alive and makes it thru all of this without much loss.

Bad weather is a serious deal, especially when it comes to the likes of winter storms etc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime