Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$98.99
11 hrs ago
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
11 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Illumination Presents: 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95
20 hrs ago
Supernatural: The Complete Thirteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
10 hrs ago
Reign of the Supermen (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Ocean's 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$16.96
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #261
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
If you're an avid sports fan, who watch a lot of sports events, then you may be interested in an LCD. OLED is best for movies. I primarily watch Blu-ray and 4K movies and other network TV shows on my OLED. Since I hardly watch sports, I don't notice any motion problems, and that's when the motions issues are detected the most is during a sporting event, when fast motion takes place. You might see it a lot better than I can, if there is an issue with the motion on a OLED.. The crush blacks? I wouldn't what a crushed black look like, but the blacks on an OLED are deeper. Every kind of TV is going to have their pros and cons, and it really depends on what a person is looking for on a new TV.
I'm not saying any of it is true. I'm an avid movie watcher and a sports watcher. I'm not that sensitive to motion blur. Love deep blacks that come with OLED, especially for sci-fi movies, which tend to have a lot of dark, deep black scenes. I'm a believer in OLED. Just waiting the prices to come down.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #262
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
I'm not saying any of it is true. I'm an avid movie watcher and a sports watcher. I'm not that sensitive to motion blur. Love deep blacks that come with OLED, especially for sci-fi movies, which tend to have a lot of dark, deep black scenes. I'm a believer in OLED. Just waiting the prices to come down.
Eventually the prices on the OLEDs will be reduced, when the 2019 models are in stock. You may get a good deal on Black Friday, and during the Christmas Holiday.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-17-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #263
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

10 years ago in 2008 a Pioneer Elite Signature series PRO-141FD was $7,000, however back in 2009+ some people were able to get them on clearance for around $3,500.

I prefer a high end 4K projector when it comes time to replace my 10 year old PRO-141FD and PRO-101FD. To get close to a IMAX or Dolby Cinema experience in the home a 3 chip DLP projector is needed (dual projector setup would be ideal).

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-16-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 AM   #264
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Eventually the prices on the OLEDs will be reduced, when the 2019 models are in stock. You may get a good deal on Black Friday, and during the Christmas Holiday.
I must admit though, the below is giving me some cause for pause on OLED. I love inky blacks, but I hate crushed blacks and lack of shadow detail.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:48 AM   #265
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

It's common knowledge that it's highly recommended to brand new TV professionally calibrated to achieve its optimal picture by a certified ISF Technician, regardless of what kind of TV you get. You just don't take it out of the box, plug it in, and start watching it. That's with every TV, not only an OLED! It has to be calibrated from its factory settings. If you don't want to pay the price to have it professionally calibrated, you can buy one of those calibrate discs, and try to do it yourself.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #266
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
It's common knowledge that it's highly recommended to brand new TV professionally calibrated to achieve its optimal picture by a certified ISF Technician, regardless of what kind of TV you get. You just don't take it out of the box, plug it in, and start watching it. That's with every TV, not only an OLED! It has to be calibrated from its factory settings. If you don't want to pay the price to have it professionally calibrated, you can buy one of those calibrate discs, and try to do it yourself.
The guy who made the video claims to be a calibrator himself.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #267
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
The guy who made the video claims to be a calibrator himself.
I doubt very much, that's he's a professional ISF technician. I mean, who going to watch their 4K movies or regular TV programs in Game or Sports modes in the factory's presettings anyway? I don't know why this reviewer is comparing those modes, that nobody is going to use when they're watching 4K content... I was looking at the blacks on my OLED today and to me, the blacks just look darker. OLEDs are known for having deep blacks, and I guess that's what differentiate the OLED from the other types of TVs, and people are probably are being mistaken the deeper blacks as being crushed, unlike 1080p HDTVs. The quality of an OLED is the closest to a plasma. On 4K TVs in general, the colors overall are more vibrant than the 1080p HDTVs. When you're watchin a 4K UHD Blu-ray or any other 4K content on a OLED, it looks absolutely gorgeous, with HDR or Dolby Vision.

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest that you go to a store and look at a 4K demonstration on a OLED display in person to see if the blacks look crushed to you but remember, those 4K TV displays are not calibrated. If you have any questions concerning the alleged crushed blacks, just ask a salesman.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-23-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #268
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
I doubt very much, that's he's a professional ISF technician. I mean, who going to watch their 4K movies or regular TV programs in Game or Sports modes in the factory's presettings anyway? I don't know why this reviewer is comparing those modes, that nobody is going to use when they're watching 4K content... I was looking at the blacks on my OLED today and to me, the blacks just look darker. OLEDs are known for having deep blacks, and I guess that's what differentiate the OLED from the other types of TVs, and people are probably are being mistaken the deeper blacks as being crushed, unlike 1080p HDTVs. The quality of an OLED is the closest to a plasma. On 4K TVs in general, the colors overall are more vibrant than the 1080p HDTVs. When you're watchin a 4K UHD Blu-ray or any other 4K content on a OLED, it looks absolutely gorgeous, with HDR or Dolby Vision.

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest that you go to a store and look at a 4K demonstration on a OLED display in person to see if the blacks look crushed to you but remember, those 4K TV displays are not calibrated. If you have any questions concerning the alleged crushed blacks, just ask a salesman.
I've seen them and agree with you, UHD TV's do look more vibrant that HDTV's. However, sometimes they look more vibrant than real life at some of those stores.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #269
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

Quote:
I've seen them and agree with you, UHD TV's do look more vibrant that HDTV's. However, sometimes they look more vibrant than real life at some of those stores.
I was in Best Buy two days ago and stopped by the Magnolia section for a few minutes. The OLEDs and LEDs were running their test loops in their full glory. While they were all stunning to watch, I couldn't help but think the same thing .......... how they all looked more vibrant than real life. Some things never change. It's 2018 and the manufacturers STILL want to crank things and have their TV scream "look at me"!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #270
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I was in Best Buy two days ago and stopped by the Magnolia section for a few minutes. The OLEDs and LEDs were running their test loops in their full glory. While they were all stunning to watch, I couldn't help but think the same thing .......... how they all looked more vibrant than real life. Some things never change. It's 2018 and the manufacturers STILL want to crank things and have their TV scream "look at me"!
That's because Best Buy have their TV displays on torch mode.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:37 AM   #271
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

Quote:
I think it's more than just that. The display loops they show are designed to look hyper real ..... eye candy. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 AM   #272
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Almost no movie (aside from documentaries) look like "real life". They are all color graded. We don't live in a Technicolor world and we don't live in a teal-pushed or desaturated world either (except perhaps at night).

And how a TV looks in most retailers is completely irrelevant. In stores, all TV's are in "Store blast" mode, because consumers tend to prefer images that are the brightest, have the highest contrast ratio and are the most saturated, especially when comparing to other sets.

You need to go to a quality retailer, like Value Electronics in New York, which calibrate all their display sets.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #273
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Almost no movie (aside from documentaries) look like "real life". They are all color graded. We don't live in a Technicolor world and we don't live in a teal-pushed or desaturated world either (except perhaps at night).

And how a TV looks in most retailers is completely irrelevant. In stores, all TV's are in "Store blast" mode, because consumers tend to prefer images that are the brightest, have the highest contrast ratio and are the most saturated, especially when comparing to other sets.

You need to go to a quality retailer, like Value Electronics in New York, which calibrate all their display sets.
I understand what they do in stores like Bestbuy, setting their TV'S in the torch mode to impress the uninitiated. Unfortunately, where I live I don't have a store like Value Electronics with all of their expertise. Also, I wasn't really referencing movies, I was actually thinking about real life shots, mountains, trees, grass, oceans and rivers, as well as human beings and their clothing.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #274
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:

What is your opinion of QLED? I've been thinking about purchasing a 55" Class Q8FN QLED for my bedroom as a replacement for my almost ten year old Kuro. I watch TV and even sleep with the lights on in my bedroom, what say you?
Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #275
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
What is your opinion of QLED? I've been thinking about purchasing a 55" Class Q8FN QLED for my bedroom as a replacement for my almost ten year old Kuro. I watch TV and even sleep with the lights on in my bedroom, what say you?
Based on various editorial reviews on the Samsung's QLED vs OLED, the OLED's are better overall. The QLED still has a backlight, the same as the LED, which is one of the most disadvantages of an LED concerning the viewing angle and it must be viewed directly in front to get the best image. But if you want a new TV for your bedroom, it doesn't necessarily have to be 4K, unless you just want a 4K TV in your bedroom. You can get an inexpensive 1080p HDTV, and save yourself a lot of money, and continue watching your 4K movies and other 4K content on your UHDTV in your home theater with your surround sound and everything, since that's where you'll be primarily watching most of your TV viewing.

Last edited by slimdude; 11-04-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #276
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Based on various editorial reviews on the Samsung's QLED vs OLED, the OLED's are better overall. The QLED still has a backlight, the same as the LED, which is one of the most disadvantages of an LED concerning the viewing angle and it must be viewed directly in front to get the best image. But if you want a new TV for your bedroom, it doesn't necessarily have to be 4K, unless you just want a 4K TV in your bedroom. You can get an inexpensive 1080p HDTV, and save yourself a lot of money, and continue watching your 4K movies and other 4K content on your UHDTV in your home theater with your surround sound and everything, since that's where you'll be primarily watching most of your TV viewing.
Makes sense.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #277

Mar 2011

Can anyone comment on OLEDís reduced motion resolution? Will it be apparent to a Kuro owner? I donít want to make the jump if itís going to look worse.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #278
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Maybe or not. All depends how you "see" things. Coming from a panny VT60 plasma I also thought the lower motion resolution would bother me but now after a few months it don't.

Other stuff do though, like some banding and for some brands more or less posterization. The panels are good on different things so me personally wouldn't say a top oled is better on "everything" but for me say 90% and that was enough.

The amazing blacks, HDR, colors, SDR punch and weight/design go a long way Take your time to watch a really good 4K UHD movie on disc demo on one of the top tier oleds that are good setup/calibrated and make up your own mind is my recommendation.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #279
Special Member

Jan 2008
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Maybe or not. All depends how you "see" things. Coming from a panny VT60 plasma I also thought the lower motion resolution would bother me but now after a few months it don't.

Other stuff do though, like some banding and for some brands more or less posterization. The panels are good on different things so me personally wouldn't say a top oled is better on "everything" but for me say 90% and that was enough.

The amazing blacks, HDR, colors, SDR punch and weight/design go a long way Take your time to watch a really good 4K UHD movie on disc demo on one of the top tier oleds that are good setup/calibrated and make up your own mind is my recommendation.
Man, I'm still rocking a VT25 and keep looking at the LG B8 or C8 and salivating, but this Panny has been so damn good to me. 8 years in and still going strong. I'm so torn!
Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #280
Expert Member

Sep 2011

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorr.../#46daa57b486f

"But I'm still using my Kuro in 2017, so why? Why haven't I upgraded? Well, for one thing there hasn't been much new tech to upgrade to. Just after the Kuro line got cancelled there was 3D for TVs. I doubt Pioneer would have bothered with it, had the firm carried on in televisions, and rightly so because that fad did die out quickly.

Of course the move to 4K is tempting. Plasmas would never have been able to manage 4K, so the Kuro line would have moved to OLED I suspect, and more than likely had to take panels from LG, as it's pretty much the only large screen game in town right now. But in fact, the distance I sit from my TV means 4K isn't a big deal for me"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs