Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
22 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
13 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 353 57.21%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 264 42.79%
Voters: 617. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #3661
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
Hope they work out for you - it's a nifty way of using stuff essentially relegated to the dustbin!

I do feel a bit guilty that I paid £1 ($1.10) each for mine, and the list-price for your ones is $32...
Well there's always the 'tax me I'm Canadian' tax....there are other cheaper options, but I like the fact you can just flip this one open to swap in a different jacket.
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #3662
Expert Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Well there's always the 'tax me I'm Canadian' tax....there are other cheaper options, but I like the fact you can just flip this one open to swap in a different jacket.
The frames costing a quid is a rare example of a bargain in the UK. As a matter of fact, I'll see your "tax me, I'm Canadian" and raise you a "rip-off Britain". This is the popular phrase used over here to grumble about everything being overpriced.

Even back in 1981, An American Werewolf in London encapsulated it all with the following exchange:

"This stuff's (groceries) expensive..."

"It's outrageous".

"How do you live?"

"Very carefully..."

Last edited by CompleteCount; 10-04-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #3663
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Hellraiser (LVD9536)

Hmmm, according to LDDB I'm missing some stuff? Photos and promo material? Mine just has the book which is the script plus some sketches by Clive Barker.

Update: Nope. I just watched an unboxing video of a new shrink wrapped copy - that's the entire contents.

Last edited by Pondosinatra; 10-06-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (10-11-2018), Heapashifter (11-12-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #3664
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Jaws (42583)

Ha! Pretty cool. In addition to the usual disc guide it also comes with the novel (which I'm now going to read) and the music soundtrack on CD.
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (11-12-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #3665
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

My laserdisc frames showed up today. So I put them up.

All in all pretty easy. Material is a hardened plastic with acrylic cover. They quickly pop open and you can easily swap in a different jacket.

Of course as it's October I put in some horror releases.

Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (10-22-2018), Heapashifter (11-12-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #3666

Nov 2010
Sweden

I own some Laserdiscs, all of them personal favorites with covers I like, so at the moment their only function are as fun collector items/shelf objects. But now I reached the point of wanting to give them a spin. I'm aware of the general video quality of Laserdisc, so I'm not expecting miracles. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying my first Laserdisc player, and I'm looking at this one http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...r_cld-d590.htm

It's the 590 I'm interested in. I've found an offer for circa 200$. Is it a good player?

Sound-wise the player seems capable but in the video department I've come to understand you can't really trust a spec when it comes to Laserdisc players, i.e. there's a lot of variation from player to player. What I'm looking for is a player capable of delivering a non-filtered (more or less) image, with lesser over saturation of colours, basically as close as possible to the transfer inherent on the actual Laserdisc movie itself.
I've read about the Pioneer 704, and the Elite's 79 and 99 being among the best all around players, but their a bit too pricey for me. I've understood that the 704 is the best player to get if you don't have the funds to spend a minor fortune as with the Japanese X0 and X9.

I'm watching on a Panasonic plasma ST60, and I've found a setting for 3 D comb filter when using RCA, which I hope will improve the overall picture quality when watching Laserdiscs.

So to sum it up. Does the 590 deliver good filmic video(in comparison to other Laserdisc players of course, and for a mid-range player)? If not which player should I look for? How good is the 3 D comb filter in Panny's plasmas? Finally, anything else to think about to improve picture quality?

Any help would be great

Last edited by dannalexcon; 10-29-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #3667

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannalexcon View Post
I own some Laserdiscs, all of them personal favorites with covers I like, so at the moment their only function is as fun collector items/shelf objects. But now I reached the point of wanting to give them a spin. I'm aware of the general video quality of Laserdisc, so I'm not expecting miracles. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying my first Laserdisc player, and I'm looking at this one http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...r_cld-d590.htm

It's the 590 I'm interested in. I've found an offer for circa 200$. Is it a good player?

Sound-wise the player seems capable but in the video department I've come to understand you can't really trust a spec when it comes to Laserdisc players, i.e. there's a lot of variation from player to player. What I'm looking for is a player capable of delivering a non-filtered (more or less) image, with lesser over saturation of colours, basically as close as possible to the transfer inherent on the actual Laserdisc movie itself.
I've read about the Pioneer 704, and the Elite's 79 and 99, but their a bit too pricey for me. I've understood that the 704 is the best player to get if you don't have the funds to spend a minor fortune as with the Japanese X0 and X9.

I'm watching on a Panasonic plasma ST60, and I've found a setting for 3 D comb filter when using RCA, which I hope will improve the overall picture quality when watching Laserdiscs.

So to sum it up. Does the 590 deliver good filmic video(in comparison to other Laserdisc players of course, and for a mid-range player)? If not which player should I look for? How good is the 3 D comb filter in Panny's plasmas? Finally, anything else to think about to improve picture quality?

Any help would be great
The 590 is pretty good. It is a ' high end' mid-range player. AC-3, both side play, and it looks nice. :P

For $200, make sure it comes with the remote, and possibly bundled with some movies. If it does not come with some movies, try to get it for $180 or lower. If it does not come with the remote.... Try to track one down before you buy the player. Is this a local purchase, or over the internet? If you are ordering online, be extremely careful with regards to shipping. LaserDisc players are very heavy, and its very common for them to break in transport. If you are from Sweden like your profile says, obviously you will have to deal with voltage differences if you are buying a Japanese or North American player.

You are correct that the CLD-D704 is probably the best "cheaper" player out there. Provides amazing video and audio. Hard to track down, since they are in high demand still.
Other recommended AC-3 compatible players would be the CLD-D505, and the CLD-D605. If you want to spend more money, you could look for the CLD-97, or CLD-99. You will obviously need a AC-3 demodulator and compatible receiver to pass through the signal: http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=266

If you are not interested in utilizing AC-3, go for the CLD-D703 or the CLD-D503. Again, always try to get the original remote with it.

With any player, use Composite for video output. Your television will have a immensely superior comb filter than what the player has. This is a great web page with relevant info: http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

Please let me know if you have any questions! Happy to answer them
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (10-29-2018), LaserD (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #3668
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Jaws (42583)

Ha! Pretty cool. In addition to the usual disc guide it also comes with the novel (which I'm now going to read) and the music soundtrack on CD.
It is cool. I have the same set. Back then it was thrilling to get something like that in the mail. The book is a fun read and wait till you get to the very big change they made in the movie from the book (if you donít already know it). It's a big twist.
Thanks given by:
Pondosinatra (10-29-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:37 AM   #3669
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

...and everyone's favourite boxset.

Star Wars Trilogy: Definitive Collection (PILF-1757)

Comes with a cool book highlighting George Lucas' career to that point.

Pew! Pew! Pew!
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (11-12-2018), LaserD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 05:20 AM   #3670
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

The Japanese CAV release from 1994? Impressive!

I bought the later Japanese CLV release from 1995 w/ "From Star Wars to Jedi" (PILF-2070) for $22 shipped a few years ago, but was never able to find the JP CAV box at an affordable price.

Last edited by svenge; 11-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #3671

Nov 2010
Sweden

Quote:
The 590 is pretty good. It is a ' high end' mid-range player. AC-3, both side play, and it looks nice. :P

For $200, make sure it comes with the remote, and possibly bundled with some movies. If it does not come with some movies, try to get it for $180 or lower. If it does not come with the remote.... Try to track one down before you buy the player. Is this a local purchase, or over the internet? If you are ordering online, be extremely careful with regards to shipping. LaserDisc players are very heavy, and its very common for them to break in transport. If you are from Sweden like your profile says, obviously you will have to deal with voltage differences if you are buying a Japanese or North American player.

You are correct that the CLD-D704 is probably the best "cheaper" player out there. Provides amazing video and audio. Hard to track down, since they are in high demand still.
Other recommended AC-3 compatible players would be the CLD-D505, and the CLD-D605. If you want to spend more money, you could look for the CLD-97, or CLD-99. You will obviously need a AC-3 demodulator and compatible receiver to pass through the signal: http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=266

If you are not interested in utilizing AC-3, go for the CLD-D703 or the CLD-D503. Again, always try to get the original remote with it.

With any player, use Composite for video output. Your television will have a immensely superior comb filter than what the player has. This is a great web page with relevant info: http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

Please let me know if you have any questions! Happy to answer them
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a couple of questions. First of all, is there any general rule of thumb when it comes to adjusting settings for brightness and contrast on a HDTV(plasma in my case). I'm picking up the CLD-D590 tomorrow, and the plan is to hook it up to good ole plasma with composite video, set all "picture enhancements" such as noise reduction, sharpening, etc. to zero, as I always do, and work my way from there. Do you have any tips when it comes amateur "calibration" on a HDTV when hooking up a laserdisc player? Maybe I'll track down Laserdisc video essentials somewhere down the road(does it work for HDTV?), but right now I'm planning on doing my own messing around.
Thanks given by:
Vanguard (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #3672
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a couple of questions. First of all, is there any general rule of thumb when it comes to adjusting settings for brightness and contrast on a HDTV(plasma in my case). I'm picking up the CLD-D590 tomorrow, and the plan is to hook it up to good ole plasma with composite video, set all "picture enhancements" such as noise reduction, sharpening, etc. to zero, as I always do, and work my way from there. Do you have any tips when it comes amateur "calibration" on a HDTV when hooking up a laserdisc player? Maybe I'll track down Laserdisc video essentials somewhere down the road(does it work for HDTV?), but right now I'm planning on doing my own messing around.
Those are valid questions. I never really could find a great solution for hdtv but LDs looked pretty decent on my old 480p dlp projector. There is a Video Essentials calibration disc released on LD though I'm unsure if it would help for the modern display. Really, there's probably no right or wrong answer in regards to self-adjusting the video - if it looks 'better' to you after some tinkering then that's all that matters. You have to really lower your expectations going this far backwards in technology after being spoiled with uhd and blu ray. In general, a really well mastered LD might look about as nice as some dvds from the late 1990s but don't expect miracles.

Last edited by meremortal; 11-08-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (11-12-2018), Vanguard (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #3673
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
...and everyone's favourite boxset.

Star Wars Trilogy: Definitive Collection (PILF-1757)

Comes with a cool book highlighting George Lucas' career to that point.

Pew! Pew! Pew!
I prefer the second release that omits the book and replaces it with additional discs containing the vintage making of documentaries.
Thanks given by:
svenge (11-12-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #3674

Apr 2013

Quote:
A good starting point is to duplicate your HDMI input settings on the composite settings. Turning up the sharpening a little bit will help. Too much, and it will "enhance" the video noise. There are calibration discs out there, but many movies have test patterns at the end of the film to aid in calibrating. https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Li...terns/id/15114 The Video Essentials discs is probably the best: https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/27876/
LDDB is the #1 source for all your LaserDisc needs as well.

I am an amateur as well when it comes to calibrating. For HD stuff, I used the free calibration tools on Sony Blu-rays, because I am lazy . For non HD stuff, I use a THX DVD on a DVD player over composite. The 2004 Star Wars DVDs and The Night Of The Living Dead Millennium Edition definitely have the THX Optimizer. But any DVD with the THX logo on it should have the tool. To note, I have an LED TV. VHS and LaserDisc, to me, look wonderful on it.

However, LaserDiscs can wildly vary in quality. Roughly 1987 and older discs can sometimes look downright nasty, whereas late 90s discs can look near DVD quality.

If you are able to get a hold of the Video Essentials LaserDisc, or any title with test patterns, use that to calibrate. If you are unable to, use the THX Optimizer and calibrate to that. That should be perfectly fine for LaserDiscs. Alternatively, find raw screen captures online of titles that you have, and compare your image to the screen capture. All in all, the same rules apply when calibrating non HD Stuff. Adjust until black looks black, white looks white, and colors do not bleed too much!

Also, just in case, check the discs to make sure none have cracks. If they even have a small crack, the discs spin at such a high RPM, that they can explode and shred the player internally.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-08-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Crack disc warning
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (11-11-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #3675
Special Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

For my 2 plasma tv's I used the Disney WOW blu-ray to calibrate them. I don't know how real a/v aficionados feel about that disc but it definitely provided me with a better picture.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #3676

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
For my 2 plasma tv's I used the Disney WOW blu-ray to calibrate them. I don't know how real a/v aficionados feel about that disc but it definitely provided me with a better picture.
Unfortunately, for laserdiscs that will not be good as they are encoded to a different IRE level.

If you want to calibrate for laserdiscs, I would recommend the "video essentials" laserdisc calibration.
Thanks given by:
RickWJ324 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #3677

Jan 2011

Absolutely. In many respects one should check calibration for every format in case tweaks are needed. But LD is a completely different beast due to its format and most TVs today lacking in comb filters etc.

Video essentials is the best to use, but the older and cheaper video standard will get you pretty close. I first found the old initial dvd version of VE and it’s very close to the LD version if you can’t find a copy at a good price.
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (11-12-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #3678

Nov 2010
Sweden

Thanks again for the tips, particularly from Vanguard. I just posted the below stuff on the "laserdisc database" forum, and sometimes I'm lazy so I've just copy pasted it here(hence the repetitiveness). Thought maybe you guys here have some insight to share?

Will a DVD recorder improve picture quality, if what you're looking for is a filmic unfiltered sharper and clearer image?

I recently purchased the Pioneer CLD-D590. I've hooked it up to a Panasonic plasma 50" ST60 using composite. I've activated the 3D Comb filter in the TV and have all picture "enchancements" off (when used they imo only hampers the image). I've played around with settings such as basic contrast, brightness and color settings, and while the end result is decent, it's far from satisfactory. I wasn't expecting miracles since this is LD and so many of us have been spoiled by Blu-Ray and HDTV for years, so my expectations was set realistically from the onset. The quality varies from disc to disc. T2 TXH widescreeen special collector's CAV edition and Top Gun THX widescreen looking good (as in filmic texture and colors), while Bram Stoker's Dracula (japanese widescreeen) and Beverly Hills Cop looking murky, lacking texture with a nosiy and borderline VHS look.

I own about 10 discs, and like I said the PQ varies but they all share one nagging trait, they all look out of focus. I'm squinting constantly(nothing wrong with my eyesight) . Sure, it may have to do with the distance to the TV, although I doubt it, I'm sitting about 9 feet away. SO what to do?

I've read a lot here and in other places and I've com to the conclusion that line-doublers, externals scalers are out. They are either way too expensive or probably inferior to scaling capabilities in my plasma. What remains is using a DVD recorder. I've checked this out https://www.mediacollege.com/equipme...mr/dmre65.html

The plan is to use to 3d Comb filter in the DVR and to connect the LD through composite to it and component out to the plasma. Will this improve PQ, and in what way? Will it do what I hope, namely sharpen things up and provide an improved depth of field without giving the picture a digitized look and/or other DVD-like artifacts (such as compression issues, banding, aliasing, EE, etc.

Does anyone own it or know if it's up to snuff? Any other tips would also be welcome. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #3679

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

There are a lot of discussions on this on LDDB forums so you may want to read through those. You can certainly try running it through a DVD player to see if the player's comb filter is better than the one built into your TV.

Also, please note that laserdiscs are mastered to a different IRE level than DVD/Blu-ray so you should have separate calibration settings in place on your TV when watching laserdisc.

I also highly recommend a laserdisc calibration disk like "Video Essentials". It's really going to help with the picture.

Unlike DVD/Blu-ray where the players don't have a huge difference in output quality, laserdisc players really vary in their picture quality. So keep that in mind as you are not using one of the "top players". Not saying you should run out and get a CLD-97 or muse player. Just that you should keep that in mind.

A good scaler can do wonders for laserdisc. But it should be a good one, not some $50 ebay generic one with some no-name scaler chip.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #3680

Apr 2013

Quote:
Thanks again for the tips, particularly from Vanguard. I just posted the below stuff on the "laserdisc database" forum, and sometimes I'm lazy so I've just copy pasted it here(hence the repetitiveness). Thought maybe you guys here have some insight to share?

Will a DVD recorder improve picture quality, if what you're looking for is a filmic unfiltered sharper and clearer image?
Personally, I have never used external scalers or other devices to pass through VHS or LaserDisc, but I do have a Toshiba DVD recorder that has composite, S-Video, and RF inputs, and can output component and HDMI. I use this for old video game consoles. Passing the consoles through, whether they be RF, composite, or S-Video, and outputting it via component on a CRT tube TV at 480i, makes the games look amazing. Very sharp and detailed. Far better than when they were directly connected to the TV, as the DVD recorder seems to cleanup the image. I did try this on my LED TV as well, outputting it via HDMI at 1080P. The games looked fine, certainly very sharp, and unfiltered, but the lack of scanlines make those old games look awful to me.

I am very curious to test this on a LaserDisc player. Unfortunately, my player just broke. A gear that is used to open the disc tray broke some teeth, so now it will not open I can test this with my VHS player if you are interested. Or try to force my player to open the tray. VHS should produce very similar results.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion