Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99
23 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #161
Banned

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Not everyone has an audiophile's critical listening skills. Personally, 320kps MP3s sound good to me and my listening equipment is not "crap", but I admit that my age and my former career on the railroad has not helped my hearing.

It seems that the last time I downloaded a one-hit wonder of a song from Amazon that it was offered as a 256kps (approximately) MP3. I imagine Amazon sells quite a few such downloads, therefore the quality must be satisfactory to most of their customers.
I've trained myself so that I can tell the difference between mp3shit and lossless formats. Mp3 shit was good for when storage space went for a premium price but in the last couple of years storage is dirt cheap so it no longer applies.
Flac is pretty much the de facto standard these days, there's just no excuse for using an outdated codec anymore.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #162

Mar 2017

Yes, I'm real sure all the a/v corporations and movie studios of the world will just all collectively decide "Hey, I think we've all made enough money, let's stop developing new technologies and just sit on what we've got."
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-06-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #163

Aug 2011
California
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
...those saying 4k UHD will be the last home video format, no it won't, it would be either 8k or 10k UHD Blu-ray. As with everything in life technology evolves and I don't know what can be better than 10k resolution, that would be the limit...
Fine, but apparently 6k got skipped over somewhere along the line, so instead of dwelling on 8k maybe they'll likewise skip it and go straight to 10k. But Japan is already into 8k? So what? Japan is crazy, anyway.

Meanwhile, that guy making the earlier posts in this thread is right - the extent of human eyeball power washes out around 40% tops and would only barely appreciate the 4k to 8k difference when seated ridiculously close to a ridiculously large home screen. Consumerism's goals do not cancel out human physics.

Sure, let future versions go to 10k... why not 40k or 400k? But mankind's vision will still be locked back where it is now, just barely noting a tiny diff between 4k and 8k. The rest, as they used to say, is all making bucks from the ballyhoo.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #164

Mar 2015

8 is the next logical step up from 4. It's another factor of 400% increase.

But I think at this point you run into diminishing returns from the source material available. (Not to mention streaming, ick)

HFR needs to be the next logical step, and improved display technology rather than marketing gimmicks.

Unless you have a huge set, the current leap is from HDR and improved compression. Not resolution IMO.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #165

Mar 2018

If 4k is already here, you can rest assured 8k (or beyond) will arrive in the future.

It does sound hard to believe (it's hard to believe something you've never seen), but it's true.

Companies aren't going to suddenly stop raising resolutions forever and end with 4k. That would be absurd.

The TV of the future will probably be beyond 8k, and be 3D as well. I doubt the screen will even be physical, most likely it'll be a hologram or something similar.

With all the brands competing in the TV, phone, computer, etc, arena, you can rest assured they will keep releasing better technologies to keep customers coming back to them.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #166

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

How would 8K even be beneficial as a home media format? I barely see much of a difference in 4K compared to regular Blu-ray other than the HDR. It makes sense to master in 4K or above, but I think 4K is more than enough for a home video format. I thought even post filming, most Hollywood movies are not even mastered in resolutions above 2K or 4K most of the time anyway.
Thanks given by:
MrVorhees (07-28-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #167

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I've trained myself so that I can tell the difference between mp3shit and lossless formats. Mp3 shit was good for when storage space went for a premium price but in the last couple of years storage is dirt cheap so it no longer applies.
Flac is pretty much the de facto standard these days, there's just no excuse for using an outdated codec anymore.
I call BS. Unless the bitrate is low (like under 192kbps), the difference between a track in WAV/AIFF/FLAC/ALAC and MP3 encoded with a decent encoder like LAME is very difficult to tell without top notch equipment and golden ears. It gets even harder when you use a newer, more efficient codec like iTunes AAC or Opus.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #168
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

The TVís have arrived here:

https://www.richersounds.com/sams-qe...ent=2018-10-24
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #169

Jun 2012

If there is money to made and there is an audience, someone will try.

The thing is (and I know some people will debate this), we are pretty much getting master copies of films on 4K UHD. Unless we are talking about a 70mm print, you're just not going to get anymore detail out of a movie. After countless formats, we've finally peaked and are getting pretty much an identical experience at home that we would in theaters.

Rather than 8k, I think you're going to see more of a focus on increased frame rates, brighter screens, high color depth, etc.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #170

Dec 2016

Awesome! Wish it wasn't so expensive.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #171

Jul 2018

8K at home is so silly. Keep in mind that 4K DCP, which is only slightly larger than consumer 4K, is considered good enough for 40 foot wide movie theater screens. But yeah, I’m sure our 65” screens are going to benefit from 4x that resolution.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (11-13-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology