Best TV Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$6.99
23 hrs ago
Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Knights of Sidonia 2 Battle For Planet Nine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
13 hrs ago
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.96

The Original Christmas Specials Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #24061
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post

I think of the Terminus group, and how they had folks knocked out with a baseball bat and throats slit over a trough. Or Zombies tearing flesh off still alive victims, etc...
Ya, when I saw that Terminus scene I was like 'whoa....this is a bit much'. It bothered me. I'm surprised there wasn't the same fuss back then as there was with Glenn's death.
Thanks given by:
edge (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #24062
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Ya, when I saw that Terminus scene I was like 'whoa....this is a bit much'. It bothered me. I'm surprised there wasn't the same fuss back then as there was with Glenn's death.
It was certainly shocking, and that shock value is what kept a lot of folks watching, you were scared for the survivors and what was going to happen next. I realize there are story telling techniques which don't require such methods, but for me it was a case of being riveted, in really wanting to see how they were gonna get out of a bad place.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #24063
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

So I completely missed the
[Show spoiler]zombie talking/whispering
that people are referring to. What scene was that again? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #24064
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Because both Abraham and Glenn were characters that the audience loved. Most people wanted the terminus folks to die so the brutality of it was overlooked. I think that's the point that Lincoln was making about "taste". If you're losing a well liked character, does it pay to show that level of gore for his death or does not showing as much prove to have more of an impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post
So I completely missed the
[Show spoiler]zombie talking/whispering
that people are referring to. What scene was that again? Thanks.
[Show spoiler]No worries, you didn't miss it in the actual episode. It was featured during the promo for the next 3 episodes.
Thanks given by:
Braktastic (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #24065
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanks12 View Post
Because both Abraham and Glenn were characters that the audience loved. Most people wanted the terminus folks to die so the brutality of it was overlooked. I think that's the point that Lincoln was making about "taste". If you're losing a well liked character, does it pay to show that level of gore for his death or does not showing as much prove to have more of an impact?
I realize comics aren't film, but it certainly paid off in the comics.

For folks somewhat educated in the Walking Dead comics, it was known that Glenn's demise was upcoming in the show. The show paid homage to the comic, and in particularly this case, how Glenn looked after the beating.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #24066
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
I realize comics aren't film, but it certainly paid off in the comics.

For folks somewhat educated in the Walking Dead comics, it was known that Glenn's demise was upcoming in the show. The show paid homage to the comic, and in particularly this case, how Glenn looked after the beating.
I understand why it was shown on the tv show. I guess my point is that the tv show audience is very different from the comic book audience. For one thing, the tv audience is much, much larger. So when you do things like what was done in 701, you run the risk of that very large audience shrinking because people can't handle the gore and their favorite character being killed off. It's a slippery slope that the writers are on as the show continues. You don't want to lose your audience and let's be honest, this show would never be as popular if it was as brutal as the comics. I'm not sure if there would be enough people interested in watching it to justify keeping it on the air if the brutality matched the comics.
Thanks given by:
edge (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #24067
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

It all comes down to realism.

Graphic violence depicted in artform such as the Walking Dead comics don't get as much flak/controversy as do live-action television series.

The purpose of having Glenn and Abraham's death be as explicitly graphic and gratuitous in explotivie gore as possible was showing how vulnerable Rick and the group really were when it came to Negan and the Saviors.

It was destroying something so pure and innocent (Glenn) and a testosterone filled strong powerful force (Abraham) with such a barbaric and cruel (Negan and Lucille) means of demise.

And yes, it is entirely obvious and notable at how watered down in violence TWD became afterwards. There have been many scenes in Seasons 7-9 where I thought "Oh, this would've been much more violent in Seasons 3-5."
Thanks given by:
edge (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #24068
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013

I've encountered a handful of people who stopped watching after the season 7 premiere. Two people at work said it was too much and quit watching after that point. I thought the throat slitting in Terminus was more disturbing than Negan's skull bashing scenes, that's just me though.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #24069
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013

Old 11-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #24070
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

The Walking Dead Instagram page posted fan response to Sunday's episode.

Positive reactions of course. Many saying Rick's send off was great. Others saying they're excited about the future. And most commenting how the show even with losing Rick is better than ever before.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #24071
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Rick's absence could turn out to be a positive for a lot of the other characters since so much of this show was written for Rick. Others simply did not get great character development.

Bottom line is this...they have a tough battle to fight moving forward because there are going to be people who will automatically stop watching because Rick is no longer around. Here are what I believe are the keys to TWD's success moving forward...

1. Get back to telling shorter stories. No more dragging storylines out for 2 and a half years. Season 9A has worked so well because they told a story with the bridge and now they're moving on to something after Rick's departure. Seasons 7 and 8 had one basic storyline that dragged the entire show down. There needs to be storyline resolution more frequently so the audience feels that they are watching a show that is going somewhere.

2. Pacing needs to remain like season 9A so far. They can't go back to slowing the story down to a crawl, at least right now. From what I've heard, the rest of season 9 looks like it will be a relentless season when it comes to pacing...and that's a good thing.

3. There needs to be better character development and interactions, both for new characters and more minor characters who have been on the show for years and haven't received much development lately. If the writers follow the schematic they used for the first 5 episodes, this should not be a problem moving forward.

4. They need to adapt the comic wisely. Just because something happens in the comic, you can't just throw it into the show if it doesn't make complete sense. There are things that work for a comic that don't work for the show. The writers need to be able to distinguish between the two and come up with original material to fill in the gaps.

If these 4 things are done...then the reviews for the rest of season 9 should be as positive as the first 5 episodes and people will start getting excited about TWD again. Excitement means that over time, people who have stopped watching might decide to give the show another look during one of the hiatuses.
Thanks given by:
jayman3 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #24072
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanks12 View Post
Rick's absence could turn out to be a positive for a lot of the other characters since so much of this show was written for Rick. Others simply did not get great character development.

Bottom line is this...they have a tough battle to fight moving forward because there are going to be people who will automatically stop watching because Rick is no longer around. Here are what I believe are the keys to TWD's success moving forward...

1. Get back to telling shorter stories. No more dragging storylines out for 2 and a half years. Season 9A has worked so well because they told a story with the bridge and now they're moving on to something after Rick's departure. Seasons 7 and 8 had one basic storyline that dragged the entire show down. There needs to be storyline resolution more frequently so the audience feels that they are watching a show that is going somewhere.

2. Pacing needs to remain like season 9A so far. They can't go back to slowing the story down to a crawl, at least right now. From what I've heard, the rest of season 9 looks like it will be a relentless season when it comes to pacing...and that's a good thing.

3. There needs to be better character development and interactions, both for new characters and more minor characters who have been on the show for years and haven't received much development lately. If the writers follow the schematic they used for the first 5 episodes, this should not be a problem moving forward.

4. They need to adapt the comic wisely. Just because something happens in the comic, you can't just throw it into the show if it doesn't make complete sense. There are things that work for a comic that don't work for the show. The writers need to be able to distinguish between the two and come up with original material to fill in the gaps.

If these 4 things are done...then the reviews for the rest of season 9 should be as positive as the first 5 episodes and people will start getting excited about TWD again. Excitement means that over time, people who have stopped watching might decide to give the show another look during one of the hiatuses.
Your Number 4 point is what screwed up Season 7 and 8 as Gimple literally adapted the comics panel per panel and it just didn't translate as well.

I love when the TV series adapts important storylines but remix the plots. Makes it much more surprising.
Thanks given by:
myanks12 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #24073
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
Your Number 4 point is what screwed up Season 7 and 8 as Gimple literally adapted the comics panel per panel and it just didn't translate as well.

I love when the TV series adapts important storylines but remix the plots. Makes it much more surprising.
Yeah...and that makes me think that they cut corners with seasons 7 and 8 because they were spending a lot of time working out a plan to expand TWD universe.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #24074
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Winnipeg, Canada

I'll admit I never got far into watching Game of Thrones, but I do know that characters - especially well-liked ones - die all the time on that show. Is GoT less gory in those situations compared to TWD? Or does TWD attract a "different sort" of audience than GoT?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #24075
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Curry View Post
I'll admit I never got far into watching Game of Thrones, but I do know that characters - especially well-liked ones - die all the time on that show. Is GoT less gory in those situations compared to TWD? Or does TWD attract a "different sort" of audience than GoT?
Game of Thrones has plenty of gore. However it's more purposeful to the story whereas sometimes TWD mainly focuses on gross out gags/zombie kill of the week type violence.

But Glenn's death was definitely much more grotesque than anything I've seen in GoT. That's for sure.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #24076
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Game of Thrones was far more graphic in the earlier seasons. The last couple have had less graphic violence and nudity.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 AM   #24077
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Angela Kang says the cause for the six year time jump was so that Judith could be the same age as Carl was in the beginning of the series and a way to bookend Rick's journey.

As I'm shocked that no one brought up the fact how the song "Space Junk"played at the end of 101 and 905. Thought that was a nice 'full circle' for Rick.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:53 AM   #24078
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
Angela Kang says the cause for the six year time jump was so that Judith could be the same age as Carl was in the beginning of the series and a way to bookend Rick's journey.

As I'm shocked that no one brought up the fact how the song "Space Junk"played at the end of 101 and 905. Thought that was a nice 'full circle' for Rick.

the walking dead season 1 episode 1 ending(space junk) - YouTube

(SPOILERS) 'Anne's Call For Help' Talked About Scene Ep. 905 | The Walking Dead - YouTube
I loved the ending of 905, it was so fitting.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 AM   #24079
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I loved the ending of 905, it was so fitting.
Oh and the voices that asked Rick "What's your wound?" were 1). Morgan, 2). Lori, 3). Beth, and 4). Abraham. Each voice has a connection to the person Rick is having a fever dream with. First being Morgan and Rick, second being Lori and Shane, third being Beth and Hershel, and fourth is Abraham and Sasha.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #24080
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Just saw a couple of scenes released from the next episode. Really liking what I'm seeing. Definitely on par with the scenes we saw in the first 5 episodes. The show seems to have some heart to it again.
Thanks given by:
jayman3 (11-09-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows