Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
14 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
1 day ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
11 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Whatever the intention was it certainly seems like it was a mistake.

It still doesn't seem fully defined and I'm not sure any display can take full advantage of it.

These days displays have processors to try to deal with it because basically it's non sense. Tone mapping is supposedly the "fix" but why it needs to be "fixed" is another matter. It's like they ran out of ideas for selling TVs in the endless attempt to one up each other.

I don't like it. Maybe because my projector isn't good at it or maybe that's just a coincidence.
Nah, the bump in resolution is more useless than HDR, and marketing the new format as 4K was the mistake imo.

I agree they should have standardized how to tone map, but these days you can easily do online research to see if a display has good tone mapping. Also, especially for projectors, you can get something like a Panasonic player which has very good tone mapping so the image comes Ďpreí-tonemapped before it reaches the projector/display.

So far, it seems only the highest of high-end displays (like micro-led displays) can fully take advantage of the new format in some cases (mainly discs mastered up to 4,000 nits or lower). However, I think even more regular consumer displays provide a jump in quality with HDR content since the advantages of HDR still put it higher than SDR even on displays that cannot take full advantage of HDR. You just have to make sure your display is decent with HDR before buying (I.e going through reviews and such), and thankfully, these days even value brands give you good HDR that easily surpasses SDR.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology