Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
15 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
19 hrs ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
14 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
19 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Silent Running (Blu-ray)
$20.10
19 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #31381

May 2021
USA

Is it possible for hi-fi audio to be released in a physical form or is it limited by technology to streaming or download only?
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM   #31382
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
Is it possible for hi-fi audio to be released in a physical form or is it limited by technology to streaming or download only?
You had many music based blu-rays all are using DTS-HD-MA, Dolby True HD, and a few examples of even Dolby Atmos. I consider those really the ultimate listening experience with video.

High-Resolution Audio files have a sampling frequency of 96 kHz/24 bit, which is significantly higher than the 44.1 KHz/16 bit sampling frequency of CDs. But when you call this hi-fi audio that is usually just CD quality.

Quote:
CDs remain a convenient way to hear their favourite music in hi-fi sound quality
DVD-Audio is 24-bit, with a sampling rate of 96 kHz
SACD is 1 bit with a sampling rate of 2.8224 MHz
Thanks given by:
bhampton (Yesterday), unberechenbar (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #31383
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
Yep.

I only have 1 SACD but I have many Blu Rays with high res and surround sound audio.

I believe online shops like HD Tracks offer high res without DRM which can be downloaded and for example put onto optical media or other storage. This is similar to physical because you can make a physical copy like a USB drive.

Streaming services that offer high res have a lot of stuff I am interested in but I haven't purchased yet.

I currently subscribe to Apple Music and my kids get a lot more use from it than I do but if Apple Music provided high res and or surround sound I would have access to a TON of stuff I can't want to hear. Many albums I love are available in high res audio.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #31384
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Lossless and Atmos Audio streaming from Apple Music

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...ossless-audio/

Apple Music will also make its catalog of more than 75 million songs available in Lossless Audio. Apple uses ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve every single bit of the original audio file. This means Apple Music subscribers will be able to hear the exact same thing that the artists created in the studio.
To start listening to Lossless Audio, subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music can turn it on in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. Here, they can choose different resolutions for different connections such as cellular, Wi-Fi, or for download. Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.1

Producer Piper Payne said: “The soul and life of the mix is sitting in the extra bits of data that are stored in the lossless file. As a mastering engineer, having the ability to convey the music to the listener at its highest quality is the end goal of what I work for every day.”

WOW SO NICE. Way to go Apple. I subscribe to Apple Music but haven't used it much so far and now I'm loving this !

Last edited by bhampton; Yesterday at 02:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (Yesterday), Wendell R. Breland (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #31385
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Sorry, that's not the same thing. When you "buy" a title, you're not leasing it. It's supposed to be a virtual equivalent of a physical media object and therefore, you should have it forever. If Apple (or any company) can't guarantee that, then they should get out of that aspect of the business and simply go to streaming subscriptions.

If I'm streaming, then I would expect titles to come and go.
Before I respond I will wait till you show me one TOS/EULA that backs up that statement.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday), Vilya (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #31386
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Apple Music will also make its catalog of more than 75 million songs available in Lossless Audio.
Brian, we use Pandora (paid) and with it we select Smooth Jazz, New Age, Classic Rock, etc. then it will play music from that genre for 8 hours. Can you do the same or similar with Apple Music?
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #31387
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Brian, we use Pandora (paid) and with it we select Smooth Jazz, New Age, Classic Rock, etc. then it will play music from that genre for 8 hours. Can you do the same or similar with Apple Music?
Yeah. I think so and you can share playlists.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #31388
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Lossless and Atmos Audio streaming from Apple Music

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...ossless-audio/

Apple Music will also make its catalog of more than 75 million songs available in Lossless Audio. Apple uses ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve every single bit of the original audio file. This means Apple Music subscribers will be able to hear the exact same thing that the artists created in the studio.
To start listening to Lossless Audio, subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music can turn it on in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. Here, they can choose different resolutions for different connections such as cellular, Wi-Fi, or for download. Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.1

Producer Piper Payne said: “The soul and life of the mix is sitting in the extra bits of data that are stored in the lossless file. As a mastering engineer, having the ability to convey the music to the listener at its highest quality is the end goal of what I work for every day.”

WOW SO NICE. Way to go Apple. I subscribe to Apple Music but haven't used it much so far and now I'm loving this !
Given the time when a lot of the music was recorded, there can’t be flipping a switch everything is master quality. Why because a lot of the content was never released as remastered. Then you have Apple offering it using Spatial Audio, which you know is to try to offer someone wearing AirPod Pro or AirPod Max some sense of audio directivity that changes the audio waveforms you are listening to. It’s not the same as Binaural Sound Effects.

Quote:
Apple today announced Apple Music is bringing industry-leading sound quality to subscribers with the addition of Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos. Spatial Audio gives artists the opportunity to create immersive audio experiences for their fans with true multidimensional sound and clarity.
3D Audio on Headphones: How Does It Work? - wave.com 2/4/21

Quote:
The perception of sound over headphones is a completely different experience. As a result, mixes done on headphones might translate poorly to speakers in a room.
I like some expert comparisons rather then taking Apple’s word that content is really lossless, especially given their history of audio products.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #31389
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Per the verge

Quote:
Apple has confirmed to The Verge that lossless audio is exclusive to Apple Music and thus subscription-only. The company won’t offer music purchases in lossless quality, nor will there be any way to upgrade owned tracks to lossless with the paid iTunes Match service.
Add this also
AirPods, AirPods Max and AirPods Pro Don't Support Apple Music Lossless Audio - Mac Rumors

Quote:
*AirPods*, *AirPods Pro*, and *AirPods Max* are limited to the Bluetooth AAC codec when paired with an iPhone, and won't be able to stream *Apple Music* lossless files, Apple confirmed to T3.
Should really make AirPods Max owners day.

Apple’s $549 AirPods Max can’t play lossless Apple Music — even when plugged in - TheVerge

Quote:
Streaming music might be entering a new era of hi-fi audio, but Apple’s AirPods Max aren’t technically ready to go along for the ride. The company has confirmed to The Verge that its premium noise-canceling headphones do not natively support playback of lossless music files.

“Lossless audio is not supported on AirPods, any model,” an Apple spokesperson said by email. “AirPods Max wired listening mode accepts analog output sources only. AirPods Max currently does not support digital audio formats in wired mode.”

It makes complete sense that the AirPods and AirPods Pro have no way of playing lossless audio. They’re totally wireless, and Apple supports the AAC codec over Bluetooth. AAC sounds plenty good, but it’s nowhere near the bit rate of CD-quality or high-resolution tracks. To do any better, Apple would need to come up with some new wireless codec — its own version of Sony’s LDAC, sort of — or make these things play music over Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth. None of that is happening today or by June when Apple Music will start offering lossless.

Last edited by JohnAV; Yesterday at 11:19 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology