Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
10 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
 
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42
32 min ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96
 
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #21
Alexander J Alexander J is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2008
2
3
Default

I am really glad you post here this question.

I was reading you opinion about this matter on AVS and will be glad to answer this.

Thirst of all you can not fight the progress of sound technology and prevent people from experiencing music utilizing capabilities of the new 7.1 systems that now becomes a standard home theater set-up for Blu-ray media.

So your assumption wrong from the beginning.

Secondary you are wrong about my production process of producing these titles. I am already post my creative approach but I see the need to post it again:

There is no synthetic delivery from 5.1 to 7.1 in our releases.
Our "Acoustic Reality Experience" Classical titles reproducing stage in front channels and natural ambience in all surround channels delivering better perception of Acoustic environment compare to 5.1 mixes that is especially making big difference in medium and large Home Theater rooms.


But specifically for Material originally recorded for Naxos according your ideology we don’t need SACD and DVD-format ether it was also released on regular CD's and you can upmix it with any 5.1 receiver.

Original content creators and music community will support it, the conductor of Mussorgsky release one of the most recorded conductors in the world Jose Serebrier who was assisting Stokowski with Mussorgsky transcriptions call me personally to share his excitement about his recording will be released in 7.1 lossless audio format and currently helping me in approaching major classical labels to release award winning content.

Regarding stand along DTS-HD codec used, we have DTS 5.1 music discs format, everybody enjoying it and industry has no problem with that so technically speaking this is just next generation of it, but now with 7.1 lossless audio.

People are looking for 7.1 lossless music titles and Surround Records will deliver it now without waiting for somebody to pick up the tab.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
It should be made clear at the outset in discussions like this and in marketing info such as the product description on Amazon that these classical titles were originally recorded, produced and released by Naxos, a budget classical label, as SACD and DVD-A in 2003-2004. The BDs are upmixed (5.0 or 5.1 to 7.1) and up-sampled (48KHz to 96KHz, at least for the Grieg and I presume the rest also) tracks, whichever way you want to spin it. It's not a big deal and I don't see doing it this way is the way forward. The folks at sa-cd.net don't think much of it either. You could play the Naxos SACD in the 60 GB PS3 and it gives you 24-bit 176KHz PCM and the receiver upmixes it to 7.1.

There is no need for three parallel uncompressed (PCM) and losslessly encoded (Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA) tracks, except as a novelty and demo disk. Routine inclusion of more than one merely perpetuates the myth that they are fundamentally different. We don't need to have movie BDs with parallel encodes in mpeg-2, VC-1 and AVC do we?

For music-only BDs, PCM and dts-HD MA or dts should cover most people's needs at present and the foreseeable future. Having dts-HD MA only isn't such a good idea at present and there is space and bandwidth to fit about two hours of 7.1 96/24 PCM and dts-HD MA on a BD-25. At the end of the day it's about the actual musical content that matters most, not the codec, spec or gimmicks.

I'm all for classical music on BD but we need the major premium labels to come onboard to make any real impact, because they have the very best artists and a large catalogue together.

Last edited by Alexander J; 09-29-2008 at 04:58 AM.
 
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #22
JimShaw JimShaw is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
957
126
Thumbs up Alexander J, thanks

Alexander J

Welcome aboard.

I am also new to this forum and new to Blu-ray.

Thanks for the link to Blu Music. Because, once again, I am new and did not realize I could get Blu Music.

I will order a few and give them a test run through my sound system.

I am excited, thanks.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #23
Clark Kent Clark Kent is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Metropolis
2
162
Default

Some of your releases look very interesting as I wasn't aware of them before you posted here. I think I might pick up the Mussorgsky title as I just love that piece of music.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #24
Fatboymart Fatboymart is offline
Member
 
Aug 2008
South Wales, UK.
Default

Hi Alexander

My father has not had an interest in his music collection for some time, mostly as his equipment is very old. After a brief demo of DTS core (I have to upgrade too) and a print off of your music titles, my father has a new fire burning inside for hi end music.

I am going to order the titles above and wrap them for Christmas – should make an old man happy.

Regards

Martin

BTW. That Pink Floyd project would be very fitting, with the passing away of Richard Wright. I would like to see "Dark side of the moon".
Sony BDP-S550
Yamaha DSP-AX1
Panasonic LCD projector
Sony Bravia LCD 32’ TV
Miller & Kreisell THX S-150 7.1
Miller & Kreisell V-125 Subwoofer
Pioneer DV-717 DVD
Hopefully a Panasonic 58" V10 soon :)

Last edited by Fatboymart; 09-16-2008 at 06:44 AM.
 
Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
Blu Titan Blu Titan is online now
Super Moderator
 
Blu Titan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
42
2631
2
92
Default

Welcome aboard Alexander J We all appreciate your time and effort to provide us with revelant information concerning BD Music.
My most anticipated release of 2018:

Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally Blu-ray
 
Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
milou6 milou6 is offline
Active Member
 
milou6's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Ohio
Default

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!
"without critical thought we're just monkeys"
---
H/K AVR435 7.1, Sony 52" XBR4, Samsung BD-P2550, PS3, Kef Q35/Q9C fronts (BA surrounds) Martin/Logan Sub, Sonos Whole-House Audio (flac)
 
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #27
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander J View Post
Glad to join the forum.

I am the artist and producer of the new line of Blu-ray audio titles:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=51

This is a new product and many of you may have questions.

This is the thread where I will be glad to answer these questions and share my thoughts and visions for Surround Sound Music on Blu-ray media and showcase some samples.

Alexander Jero
Surround Music Artist / Producer
Surround Records/ Surround Magic Studio
Welcome!

I hope that Iceman informed you that one of the prerequisites to Insider status on Blu-ray.com is to send the other Insiders a freebie Blu-ray.

I, myself will take VIVALDI.

Again, welcome to the forum and it’s about time that music lovers got their share of the action.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973

Last edited by Penton-Man; 09-18-2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: spelling
 
Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #28
phloyd phloyd is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
phloyd's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
California
5
Default

Welcome to the forum!

So, will all of the Surround Records releases be 24/96 DTS-HD Master Audio and 7.1 audio channels?

Or are you planning to try PCM or TrueHD also moving forward.

Thanks again for participating.

Cheers!
---
Content is the key. See the stats

Last edited by phloyd; 09-18-2008 at 12:36 AM.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #29
PeterTHX PeterTHX is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
7
Default

Welcome!

I would also like to see a TrueHD option on your titles, because some of us have little ones running around and I appreciate the night mode option. Far more BD players support it natively as well.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #30
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
621
13
Default

Very pleased to see the Rachmaninov and Vivaldi releases, I will be ordering those for sure.

I have no problems with dts-ma, TrueHD or PCM - as long as you're presenting lossless mixes you have my vote.

One note - 24/192 7.1 is not possible with Blu-ray Disc, so 24/192 sources would need to be presented in a 5.1 mix; not that I think anyone would have a problem with that!

Thank you for taking the time to post here.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #31
PeterTHX PeterTHX is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
7
Default

Quote:
One note - 24/192 7.1 is not possible with Blu-ray Disc, so 24/192 sources would need to be presented in a 5.1 mix; not that I think anyone would have a problem with that!
Not possible or out of spec?

DD @640kbps was out of spec for DVD but still possible on a couple discs.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #32
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Hi and welcome to the forum, classical music is not my cup of tea but I think I might get one for my dad, though the PF title you mentioned in your post interests me.

Are these BD-A titles or regulars BD (i.e. when BD-A players come out will these work on them?)
 
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #33
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
621
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Not possible or out of spec?

DD @640kbps was out of spec for DVD but still possible on a couple discs.
Not spec'd currently within dts-ma specs or Dolby's specs and in PCM would be 36.884 Mbps...so hardly reasonable.

Although Dolby says they can do up to 13 channels with Dolby TrueHD, would the current DolbyTrueHD decoders be upgradeable via firmware on all units? If they can't it would be a mistake to implement it specifically for BD-Audio players because you would immediately kill any chance high resolution music has of making it in the mainstream.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
 
Old 09-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #34
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Not possible or out of spec?

DD @640kbps was out of spec for DVD but still possible on a couple discs.
BDA format specifications, p.18 limit the audio to 6 channels of 192kHz/24bit.

Max.bitrate
LPCM: 27.648Mbps
Dolby Digital: 640kbps
Dolby Digital Plus: 4.736Mbps
Dolby Lossless: 18.64Mbps
DTS digital surround: 1.524Mbps
DTS-HD: 24.5Mbps

192,000(samples per second) x 24(bits per sample) x 6(channels) = 27.7Mbps
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #35
PeterTHX PeterTHX is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
7
Default

^^^

I know the spec.

I'm just saying it might be possible to do something out of spec as a secondary track.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #36
Alexander J Alexander J is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2008
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Very pleased to see the Rachmaninov and Vivaldi releases, I will be ordering those for sure.

I have no problems with dts-ma, TrueHD or PCM - as long as you're presenting lossless mixes you have my vote.

One note - 24/192 7.1 is not possible with Blu-ray Disc, so 24/192 sources would need to be presented in a 5.1 mix; not that I think anyone would have a problem with that!

Thank you for taking the time to post here.

Like I mention in one of my previous posts the idea was to create a user experience similar to CD or SACD, for that purpose I decide to choose only one stream that was chosen only in terms of my better exposure to DTS technology, encoding and production process.

However my internal production for the organ performance title will be at 24bit 192K, DTS ProAudio just confirm me that however I can create a 7.1 24/192k stream file using DTS-HD Encoder players can not play it back in terms of BD spec limitation.

All Fox with Insider Status please e-mail me your addresses so you can receive your disc

More later,

Need to get back to work,


Best,

Alexander
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #37
scott1256ca scott1256ca is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2006
Default

I also think it is not necessary to include PCM TrueHD and DTS HDMA of the same spec. One should be enough.

However, my real reason for posting is to ask what your thoughts are concerning 7.1 (or 5.1 for that matter) vs. 2 channel sound? A number of audiophiles think 2 channel still provides a better, or more realistic experience with a proper setup than you can get with surround speakers. What do you think?

I for one would like to see a mix optimised for stereo, in addition to a surround sound mix, for comparison if nothing else, but you may want to consider it to appeal to a broader audience.

Also, given a previous question, I presume when you mix these you have access to the original multiple tracks? Can you tell us if the tracks as originally recorded were 96k 24 bit?
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #38
Alexander J Alexander J is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2008
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1256ca View Post
I also think it is not necessary to include PCM TrueHD and DTS HDMA of the same spec. One should be enough.

However, my real reason for posting is to ask what your thoughts are concerning 7.1 (or 5.1 for that matter) vs. 2 channel sound? A number of audiophiles think 2 channel still provides a better, or more realistic experience with a proper setup than you can get with surround speakers. What do you think?

I for one would like to see a mix optimised for stereo, in addition to a surround sound mix, for comparison if nothing else, but you may want to consider it to appeal to a broader audience.

Also, given a previous question, I presume when you mix these you have access to the original multiple tracks? Can you tell us if the tracks as originally recorded were 96k 24 bit?

All my work is dedicated to presenting music in surround sound. So for me multichannel surround sound reproduction is a current stage of the natural development of the technology of sound reproduction that started with Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877 until the 1950s. Second stage of Stereo was based on inventions from the 1930s, reached the public in the mid-'50s, and has provided great listening Pleasure for four decades.Stereo improved the reproduction of timbre and added two dimensions of space: the left- right spread of performers across a Stage, and a set of acoustic cues that allow listeners to perceive a front-to-back dimension.
Third Age represented by Multichannel surround sound technology, natural involving presence in A way that is robust, reliable and consistent there each individual sound can has its Unique location in 3-dimensional space.

Talking about source material for Surround Music Recordings I cant not to mention great project by John Newton of Sound mirror, Inc. of remastering and producing RCA “Living Stereo” SACD series that was done from old analogue three-channel recordings that made legacy for Surround Music on SACD. I am strongly believe that the talent of Engineers and Producers is that making the difference in your multichannel music experience, and now with the new 7.1 sound reproduction capabilities artistically speaking giving content producers new variety of colors that we never had before to deliver to you the Reality of Acoustic Experience.

Getting back to our titles Vivaldi and Mussorgsky releases as well as all my electronic music titles was originally digitally recorded at 24bit 96K resolution. And I can ensure you, that all our future releases will be produced at least from 24bit 96K resolution source material respectfully because I see that majority of people would like to see that.

Last edited by Alexander J; 09-19-2008 at 01:33 AM.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #39
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

This is pretty exciting stuff, Alexander J. Welcome to Blu-ray.com!

Can you comment on the relative publishing costs at this time regarding Blu-ray music discs versus SACD and DVD-A? Just a "it's more expensive but worth it" or "it's about the same but a bigger potential audience" sort of response will suffice.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
 
Old 09-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #40
Alexander J Alexander J is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2008
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
This is pretty exciting stuff, Alexander J. Welcome to Blu-ray.com!

Can you comment on the relative publishing costs at this time regarding Blu-ray music discs versus SACD and DVD-A? Just a "it's more expensive but worth it" or "it's about the same but a bigger potential audience" sort of response will suffice.

As far as right now it is match more expensive to produce and publish Blu-ray Disc then SACD or DVD-A in term of originally this technology was developed to present movie and video titles, but looking forward in to a future I see a great potential of Blu-ray for music media and believe that software developers and Authoring Houses will came out with new solutions to present music on Blu-ray disc that also should stimulate the development of profile 3.0 for Audio.

As a producer who dedicated last decade to the Art of Surround Music and High Definition Audio formats I see the great new opportunity in Blu-ray.

In terms of large commercial success of these releases - the future will tell.
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Ask questions to Blu-ray BD-J insider "Talkstr8t" Insider Discussion iceman 166 08-18-2018 05:06 PM
Ask questions to BD authoring and compression insider "2themax" Insider Discussion iceman 291 07-27-2013 12:36 PM
"Club Penton" - Ask questions to Hollywood insider "Penton-Man" Insider Discussion iceman 19563 04-15-2012 03:19 PM
Ask questions to Sony Pictures Entertainment insider "paidgeek" Insider Discussion iceman 958 04-06-2008 05:48 PM
Ask questions to Sony Computer Entertainment insider "SCE Insider" Insider Discussion Ben 13 01-21-2008 09:45 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.