Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99
19 hrs ago
Avatar: The Way of Water (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 hr ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIV (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
 
So I Married an Axe Murderer 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.55
1 day ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIII (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Death Wish 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy (Blu-ray)
$51.96
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #20181
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
399
1077
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Certainly, a filmmaker with a resume that includes a recent "astronomical failure" is bound to create excitement now that he is tackling the vast vertically framed content market ; I better start shopping for a 6" phone now!

If we could get Nightwatch & Daywatch on 4k disc someday, I would be a happy man!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #20182
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
If we could get Nightwatch & Daywatch on 4k disc someday, I would be a happy man!
It is not too late to return your new 4K TV and swap it for the latest and largest smartphone. You better hurry!

The exchange window on my 85" TV has closed, so I'm sh*t outta luck.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #20183
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post


Now you done done it!

If it has not even been made yet, how exactly is this "movie" a "blockbuster?"

"Filming begins next week...targeting an early 2021 release."

I certainly won't be watching it. I didn't buy a jumbo widescreen TV to instead watch vertically framed content on a 5" phone screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I think Timur is a great visualist filmmaker, but I think he's just pivoting to this because his version of Ben-Hur was an astronomical failure. This experiment is only costing 10 million and I'm sure it's all foreign investment for the most part. It'll generate buzz for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Yeah, I just hope the poor fellow's head doesn't explode when he reads it. But I couldn't not share it. I guess I'm a little evil that way .

But I agree, it is a ridiculous concept. We just have to hope it fails spectacularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
They haven't even started to film it, but it is already magically a huge success simply because they say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Certainly, a filmmaker with a resume that includes a recent "astronomical failure" is bound to create excitement now that he is bringing his successful track record to capitalize on the vast demand for vertically framed movies ; I better start shopping for a 6" phone now!
Not surprised. We have Quibi launching next month so without doubt, vertical video is going to be a much bigger thing. It was only a matter of time until this happened. We have had films shot with iPhones so it’s the next logical step.
I am intrigued how they go about the release though. How can it get a theatrical release? Maybe it’s going straight to Quibi.
I know Quibi productions shoot in vertical AND landscape, maybe this film will do the same. By 2021, the specifics of this dual shooting technique will be established.

I also dint think it’s too outrageous to suggest that TVs will exist that can display both formats. Especially with these micro LED panels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #20184
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Not surprised. We have Quibi launching next month so without doubt, vertical video is going to be a much bigger thing. It was only a matter of time until this happened. We have had films shot with iPhones so it’s the next logical step.
I am intrigued how they go about the release though. How can it get a theatrical release? Maybe it’s going straight to Quibi.
I know Quibi productions shoot in vertical AND landscape, maybe this film will do the same. By 2021, the specifics of this dual shooting technique will be established.

I also dint think it’s too outrageous to suggest that TVs will exist that can display both formats. Especially with these micro LED panels.
Are you shopping for a new phone, too, then? Are you going to be a charter subscriber to Quinoa? You better start planning ahead.

I'm having a hard time finding a phone with a 4K disc drive, but I'm still looking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #20185
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
399
1077
9
Default

That vertical framing reminded me of that Julia Robert's show on Amazon -- the name escapes me but I was a fan it (the show). The exception is that the show was shot in various aspect ratios and had a music score composed of previously published scores.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #20186
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
That vertical framing reminded me of that Julia Robert's show on Amazon -- the name escapes me but I was a fan it (the show). The exception is that the show was shot in various aspect ratios and had a music score composed of previously published scores.
I'm a big fan of shows whose name I can't remember, too. The less I remember, the more I loved them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #20187
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Are you shopping for a new phone, too, then? Are you going to be a charter subscriber to Quinoa? You better start planning ahead.

I'm having a hard time finding a phone with a 4K disc drive, but I'm still looking.
I think we both know that part of me will die if that day comes. Still, I did say it was coming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #20188
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I think we both know that part of me will die if that day comes. Still, I did say it was coming.
Nobody ever denied that "it was coming." What is being debated is how popular this type of content will be and what, if any, impact it will have on anything else.

Still, you better hedge your bets and start looking for that new state of the fart smartphone now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #20189
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default Panasonic - DP-UB420

If one does not need Dolby Vision in a UHD BD player then the Panasonic DP-UB420 may work for you and is on sale at many places for $149.00. It does support HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #20190
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
399
1077
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'm a big fan of shows whose name I can't remember, too. The less I remember, the more I loved them.
Yeah, I'd forgotten because season 1 was like 2 years ago and they teased a second one that has not materialized.


Here are the tech specs for it -- Homecoming was the show:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7008682...ef_=tt_dt_spec
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #20191
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Nobody ever denied that "it was coming." What is being debated is how popular this type of content will be and what, if any, impact it will have on anything else.

Still, you better hedge your bets and start looking for that new state of the fart smartphone now.
I can’t get much more state of the art than the one I have now. IPhone 11 pro. Of course dual screens are coming for that vertical video, browse social media dual experience. Perfect for the attention challenged youngster in your family or mine. Coming soon........
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #20192
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I canít get much more state of the art than the one I have now. IPhone 11 pro. Of course dual screens are coming for that vertical video, browse social media dual experience. Perfect for the attention challenged youngster in your family or mine. Coming soon........
Please send me a reminder often; I have CRS really bad.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #20193
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
If one does not need Dolby Vision in a UHD BD player then the Panasonic DP-UB420 may work for you and is on sale at many places for $149.00. It does support HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG.
Pannys supposedly do not offer very good DVD playback. Other brands of players allegedly do this better. That's about the only bad thing that I have heard about them. I guess if you let your TVs do your DVD upscaling maybe that compensates for it, I dunno?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #20194
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Please send me a reminder often; I have CRS really bad.
What were we talking about?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #20195
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
What were we talking about?
I don't know, but it was one of my favorite shows!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #20196
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, I'd forgotten because season 1 was like 2 years ago and they teased a second one that has not materialized.


Here are the tech specs for it -- Homecoming was the show:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7008682...ef_=tt_dt_spec
Sounds like another one of those "blockbusters" that we keep hearing tell about.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #20197
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I don't know, but it was one of my favorite shows!
TP? I think you forgot you bought it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #20198
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
399
1077
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sounds like another one of those "blockbusters" that we keep hearing tell about.


It was a good show. More of a thriller to be honest. No spoilers, but they found creative ways to utilize previously published scores. They even used John Carpenter's scores to enhance certain scenes.

But that's first series that i ever saw use that vertical aspect ratio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #20199
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
TP? I think you forgot you bought it!
TP? I just bought a big package of two-ply Charmin.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #20200
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
It was a good show. More of a thriller to be honest. No spoilers, but they found creative ways to utilize previously published scores. They even used John Carpenter's scores to enhance certain scenes.

But that's first series that i ever saw use that vertical aspect ratio.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it, but that wonky vertical aspect ratio would annoy me to no end and I doubt that any content could be good enough for me to enjoy watching it in Glaucoma Scope- I should trademark that!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (02-13-2020), Steedeel (02-13-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 AM.