Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Battlestar Galactica 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
1 day ago
Marathon Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

The Usual Suspects 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66

Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 04-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #81

Feb 2009
Austria

Here we go! Memories of Murder (CJ Entertainment) is dead.
Thanks given by:
BigManDeath (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #82
Power Member

Jun 2012
In a movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Yen View Post
Here we go! Memories of Murder (CJ Entertainment) is dead.
Ok, now I'm scared. Have you got the first printing?
Old 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #83
Banned

Jan 2008

Memories of Murder first pressing is definitely problematic - it's one of the most discussed discs on DVDPrime, and even the CJ Entertainment thread here on blu-ray.com has been talking about it for years (though not as 'bronzing,' just as a disc that 'skips'). However, even the second pressing is still in the 2009-2011 timeframe, so I'm not sure how to tell a "good" copy besides one of the replacement discs from UTech in 2016!

For people with dead Korean discs, the mould IFPI number would help us link to what Hong Kong/etc. discs were made at the same replicator, if any.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #84

Feb 2009
Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
Memories of Murder first pressing is definitely problematic - it's one of the most discussed discs on DVDPrime, and even the CJ Entertainment thread here on blu-ray.com has been talking about it for years (though not as 'bronzing,' just as a disc that 'skips'). However, even the second pressing is still in the 2009-2011 timeframe, so I'm not sure how to tell a "good" copy besides one of the replacement discs from UTech in 2016!

For people with dead Korean discs, the mould IFPI number would help us link to what Hong Kong/etc. discs were made at the same replicator, if any.
Yes, I read the CJ Entertainment thread. I have the first pressing. My disc skips and a slightly bronzing is at the edge of the disc.

Mould SID Code: IC0Z
Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #85
Banned

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Yen View Post
Mould SID Code: IC0Z
UTech identified
Old 04-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #86
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguejp View Post
Ok, now I'm scared. Have you got the first printing?
All printings are reportedly problematic.

I can confirm mine (second printing) is dead. Same as Mother and The good the bad and the weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
What Australian companies? Specific info re: bronzing or just speculation because of geographic location?
Geographic location
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #87
Banned

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrente View Post
Geographic location
Certainly worth checking, but as of now there have been no reports of bronzing Australian or Japanese blu-rays. Both countries have their own replicators, so I can't imagine too many Australian or Japanese companies are having Taiwan press their discs, and it is completely unknown whether any of those replicators purchased the same resin.

India, on the other hand - at least some Indian companies have definitely used UTech.

--------------------------------------------------------------

RE: CJ titles

For the CJ second-printing titles, are those also limited? For instance, the 'second-printing' version of Memories Of Murder is still available at various retailers - does that mean CJ has continued to press it, and thus there is likely to be a post-2011 pressing out there? Or does that just mean that the 2010 second printing never sold out, and there are still 2010 discs sitting in warehouses?

Others, like Thirst, are not available at all. Was that less popular and they thus stopped printing it? Or was it more popular and has already sold through the entire limited second printing?

It seems like CJ has never switched from UTech, so I have no idea how to date the pressings of certain titles...

Last edited by neo_reloaded; 04-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
Torrente (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #88

Mar 2009

Just a reminder that if you are going to sort any of the fields, please use the little inverted triangle icon next to each header title in row 1. DO NOT sort by clicking the drop down arrow next to the column letter (A, B, C, etc...).

I moved the Monitored titles to a Monitor List. When a title officially dies from Bronzing or Whatever reason, it will then get moved over to the Dead List.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #89
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

I just scanned through my copy of "Memories of Murder" and it seems to be fine.
My first pressing crapped out a few years ago (froze at the layer change) and I got a replacement from CJ. The inner ring IFPI code is L606.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #90
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

I also checked my copy of "The Legend Of Wisely." The codes match the ones on your spreadsheet, but the disc scanned through fine and doesn't look bronzed.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #91
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
France

Just a reminder: to properly check a disc and be 100% sure about it, you have to watch the entire disc (movie and extras) at regular/normal speed. Or scan it on a BD Drive using programs like VSO Inspector.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #92

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW View Post
I also checked my copy of "The Legend Of Wisely." The codes match the ones on your spreadsheet, but the disc scanned through fine and doesn't look bronzed.
Mine is bronzed. When playing it on my Xbox One X, the opening title vids are corrupted and it takes a while to get to the main menu. When playing the movie, parts of the movie is corrupted.

I tried playing through PC drive but it won't play. I had to try multiple times and different software for it just to read the disc. When I was finally able to read the disc and try to make a back up, it couldn't back up the last ten minutes. And when playing back the digital file, parts of the movie were corrupted like when viewing in bluray player.

Hopefully yours doesn't bronze or die. I'd keep it in your monitor pile.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #93
Power Member

Mar 2009
UK

Quote:
I just scanned through my copy of "Memories of Murder" and it seems to be fine.
My first pressing crapped out a few years ago (froze at the layer change) and I got a replacement from CJ. The inner ring IFPI code is L606.
contact details handy? just in case. will check mine this week. thanks.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #94
Blu-ray Knight

May 2013
Sydney

I just did a chapter to chapter run through Memories of Murder and it played fine. The disc looked fine as well. However, it's possible my disc was from the last patched they pressed because I purchased just before it became out of print.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #95
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by logboy View Post
contact details handy? just in case. will check mine this week. thanks.
Unfortunately, I tried to contact CJ again after my disc of "Mother" crapped out, and the e-mail address I had was no longer valid. If anyone has a working customer service e-mail for CJ Entertainment, please post it.
Thanks given by:
logboy (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #96
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Just a reminder: to properly check a disc and be 100% sure about it, you have to watch the entire disc (movie and extras) at regular/normal speed.
I'm content with being 99% sure, and have no desire to sit through hours of a movie just to make sure my disc is still working.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #97
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
I just did a chapter to chapter run through Memories of Murder and it played fine. The disc looked fine as well. However, it's possible my disc was from the last patched they pressed because I purchased just before it became out of print.
Again, there's no use in this sort of inspection of supposedly dying disc.
When you scan it on your player or jump from chapter to chapter like that, it may help the lens in skipping a corrupted sector.
To be 100% sure, unfortunately, you have to watch the entire disc (movie and extras) at normal speed or scan it on a BD drive using programs like VSO Inspector.

As reported in the korean forum all discs of Memories of murder are impacted, regardless of the different batches, repressings, replacements, every discs.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #98
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
France

Quote:
I'm content with being 99% sure, and have no desire to sit through hours of a movie just to make sure my disc is still working.
Problem is it's not 99% in such case. It's not even 50%
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #99

Jan 2013
Monterey, CA

Quote:
Just a reminder: to properly check a disc and be 100% sure about it, you have to watch the entire disc (movie and extras) at regular/normal speed. Or scan it on a BD Drive using programs like VSO Inspector.
Hi Torrente, what about programs used to backup a disc as a full disc iso? Would that work in addition to using VSO Inspector or would it copy over the corrupted part of the disc?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #100
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Again, there's no use in this sort of inspection of supposedly dying disc.
And, again, I disagree with you.

In the past, when I've attempted to scan through defective discs, they've ALWAYS hung up at the bad point. If I scan through a disc and it scans through smoothly and without problem, I'm satisfied ENOUGH that the disc will play fine. If you want to sit and watch movies all day just to make sure they play - well, fine. Go for it. But... but... what if you just happened to watch them the DAY before they go bad? You must watch them again, and then again the next week... you know, just to make SURE.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia