Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
6 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

The Blood Island Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Default Self-promotion banning and idea

I would like to apologize for all the self promotion if it was not allowed but I would also like to interject an idea.

As a member for this site for about 10 years now, having contributed to a lot of discussions, seems that there should be a place created for YouTubers.

Maybe an area that we can discuss popular YouTube movie related channels or if you have a movie related YouTube channel, you are allowed to promote only in that part of the board.

Looking at my YT analytics, this message board has been a huge part of getting views and growth to my channel. This means that people on this board are actually interested in seeing my content. It helps that people of this message board community help another member of this community grow by viewing and subscribing to a YT channel that they might not have know exists without this board to begin with.

I understand not wanting to litter this entire board with self-promotion links but definitely making a subsection of the board dedicated to YT channels and user created YT channels would be great and helpful to everyone here. Maybe limit the users so they are not allowed to self-promote unless they hit a certain quota of posts or time spend on these boards.

This could help members here find out something new they may not have known about on YT. For example, I'm a fan of Screenjunkies (Movie Fights/Honest Trailers), CinemaSins, Collider/Movie Trivia Schmoedown, and ScreenRant's Pitch Meetings.

Seems like it would be a way to "grow" this board in the right direction.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Hey Meeklo! I remember you from the Movie Screenshot Thread game

Your 1-Week suspension was no doubt brought on because your last two dozen or so posts were just links to your channel. So rather than bringing discussion to the forum, they were only there to move traffic to your channel.

There's nothing wrong with discussing established YT channels like your examples, because they are not actively trying to draw traffic away from here, but I can't see a special "area" being set up YT members.

It's also a conflict of interest thing too, some people love to criticize certain companies, technologies etc without any interest in learning or willing to accept reasoning.. for this, distributors who provide discs for reviews on this site, could decide to just cut this place out after seeing videos providing incorrect information, and then no more reviews here.

I've seen some shockers on YT "Review" channels.. some could be corrected if the person just had the correct gear and the correct set up to review the disc correctly.. but sometimes, they just can't admit they have no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited by LordCrumb; 11-10-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Hey Meeklo! I remember you from the Movie Screenshot Thread game

Your 1-Week suspension was no doubt brought on because your last two dozen or so posts were just links to your channel. So rather than bringing discussion to the forum, they were only there to move traffic to your channel.

There's nothing wrong with discussing established YT channels like your examples, because they are not actively trying to draw traffic away from here, but I can't see a special "area" being set up YT members.

It's also a conflict of interest thing too, some people love to criticize certain companies, technologies etc without any interest in learning or willing to accept reasoning.. for this, distributors who provide discs for reviews on this site, could decide to just cut this place out after seeing videos providing incorrect information, and then no more reviews here.

I've seen some shockers on YT "Review" channels.. some could be corrected if the person just had the correct gear and the correct set up to review the disc correctly.. but sometimes, they just can't admit they have no idea what they are talking about.
This makes complete 100% sense.

That being said, is there a way for me to "promote" my content on here? I'm okay with not posting the embedded video like I was but how about "The Cinefanatics review of Creed 2 is up!"

I remember you too...didn't know they made you a moderator...I miss that screenshot game.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
That being said, is there a way for me to "promote" my content on here?

Why not put a link to your channel in your site signature, instead of what it currently states?
Old 11-11-2018, 02:23 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumdogg View Post
Why not put a link to your channel in your site signature, instead of what it currently states?
I think that's not allowed either.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:25 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
I think that's not allowed either.

Ah, OK. I didn't know.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Your last post before today was July 2017, and you only made 4 other posts that year As you clearly are not an, active member, I can't imagine this site having been much help in bringing traffic to your channel over the last year or more.

And similarly, because of your huge lapse in posts, and then this one, it kind of feels like you're only coming back to use this site as a way to promote your channel, rather than to be a truly active member of the community.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 11-11-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
strumdogg (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Your last post before today was July 2017.

Yikes! Good catch. Maybe he only ever posted in the "Screenshot Game" thread, whatever that was...

Now I know not to trust what anyone says around here.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Your last post before today was July 2017, and you only made 4 other posts that year As you clearly are not an, active member, I can't imagine this site having been much help in bringing traffic to your channel over the last year or more.

And similarly, because of your huge lapse in posts, and then this one, it kind of feels like you're only coming back to use this site as a way to promote your channel, rather than to be a truly active member of the community.
LordCrumb mentioned two dozen youtube links. Seems all those posts were deleted. But you're right about no discussion outside of that.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
LordCrumb mentioned two dozen youtube links. Seems all those posts were deleted. But you're right about no discussion outside of that.
Correct.

As of late, I have only posted links to my YT channel. They were all deleted. So if you look at my history, it only shows my additions to the Linkin Park Megathread that I created. Unfortunately I have not had time lately to sociallize on messageboards and I hoped my member status might curry favor with users here.

That being said, someone mentioned that they can’t see this site being helpful to my channel. According to the analytics for my channel, this site is extremely helpful as far as views go. It shows me how many people are viewing my video from this site. People on this site do want to see my channel and it’s content and I’d like to keep them notified if it.

I’m not monotizing my channel, I only have 57 subscribers as of this post. I’m just trying to get my name out there so people know I exist. I’m just wondering if there is a better way of doing it than posting the actual videos.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 AM   #11

May 2009
New Zealand

I honestly don't know how people go about promoting their channels anywhere, especially when they are not doing it to actually make money but to just share their thoughts and reviews.

I think it's probably all about Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.. it filters down through your friends and their friends.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
I honestly don't know how people go about promoting their channels anywhere, especially when they are not doing it to actually make money but to just share their thoughts and reviews.

I think it's probably all about Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.. it filters down through your friends and their friends.
There are a few messageboards that allow it.

I look at Peter McKinnon as an example. He is a vlogger who gained 1 million subscribers in one year solely by submitting his videos to news websites and message boards. He went from nothing to a major youtuber in that time frame.

I donít feel I have any extra skills (short of answering any and all questions about appliances) other than my encyclopedia-like knowledge of movies and I would like to let people know I exist. My only option is primarily messageboards. Especially one where I have been a member for ten years.

Iíve already got all my friends and family subscribed.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
...other than my encyclopedia-like knowledge of movies...

By searching this forum?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

There are ways to grow your channel without relying on a site like this to just plug it. Hosting giveaways is one way that many YT channels gain subs. Another is putting out quality content, and in a timely manner.

You also have to be realistic though. There are literally tens of thousands of channels probably trying to do the same as you, so the odds of you being a big channel is probably low. Do it because you enjoy it, not for any other reason.
Thanks given by:
ronboster (11-12-2018), strumdogg (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2012

Quote:
Do it because you enjoy it, not for any other reason.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum