Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.96

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Halloween (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Night of the Demons (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Sin City (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.96

Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Predator Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$31.10

Platoon (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Finding Dory (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Paul (Blu-ray)
$12.10

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 05-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #241
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
Never had issues with scratches on amaray cases whatsoever. Still got discs from the launch of the format in impeccable conditions. I think the constant sliding of the discs and making contact with the cardboard is a super easy way to get more and more scratches on the disc everytime.
I'd be surprised. Unless there is dried glue in there, these discs aren't getting scratched from sliding them in and out of the sleeves. (I've tried it before multiple times to see how safe it was to keep discs in the packaging) With the exception of those times when dried glue seemed to be an obvious factor, I haven't ever thought it's the packaging itself that is the problem - it's more likely how these discs get into the packaging. I don't know what the difference in the process is between when they go into an amaray case and when they go into one of these books with sleeves, but these things are not that easy to scratch. That coated cardboard surface should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Mine shipped too!

I got my hands on a few of these in store and ALL of the steelbooks are scuffed up front and back. At least half the discs have smudges. Few scratches but definitely lots of fingerprint smudges. Still better than the discs in the sleeve packaging.
It sure doesn't sound like it. Did you go through the sleeve packaging? While I gave up trying to get a totally perfect set (I got close enough), the three sets I did go through weren't as awful as the discs in the Mummy set and don't sound as bad as what you're describing. I didn't see any discs with smudges - most had some minor small scratches. The majority may have had 1-2 small scratches/marks with a couple having more. The UHD discs fared the best.

I wonder how many people do inspect every disc - I sure don't. I'd go nuts (more nuts). I only inspect the ones in these sleeves because they've been known to have more reported issues around here, but if there were tiny scratches here and there in discs in amaray cases, I'd have no idea. I remember looking once at my normal sets of "Justified" when I was having trouble getting a "perfect" set of the complete series packaging and I'd find discs that had never been used in the amaray cases that weren't exactly flawless. There were tiny marks every now and then. Most were perfect, but when going through a bunch of multi-disc sets, it seems like there's going to be something if you look hard enough. Certainly no "deep" looking scratches. What manner of severity will actually result in an issue, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there would be a problem with most of the discs I've come across in these JP sets.
Thanks given by:
hockeyshark91 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 AM   #242
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Maine

That spine slash crushed my eyes. Shame!
Help me complete my collection! Check out my WTB thread.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #243
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I'd be surprised. Unless there is dried glue in there, these discs aren't getting scratched from sliding them in and out of the sleeves. (I've tried it before multiple times to see how safe it was to keep discs in the packaging) With the exception of those times when dried glue seemed to be an obvious factor, I haven't ever thought it's the packaging itself that is the problem - it's more likely how these discs get into the packaging. I don't know what the difference in the process is between when they go into an amaray case and when they go into one of these books with sleeves, but these things are not that easy to scratch. That coated cardboard surface should not be a problem.

It sure doesn't sound like it. Did you go through the sleeve packaging? While I gave up trying to get a totally perfect set (I got close enough), the three sets I did go through weren't as awful as the discs in the Mummy set and don't sound as bad as what you're describing. I didn't see any discs with smudges - most had some minor small scratches. The majority may have had 1-2 small scratches/marks with a couple having more. The UHD discs fared the best.

I wonder how many people do inspect every disc - I sure don't. I'd go nuts (more nuts). I only inspect the ones in these sleeves because they've been known to have more reported issues around here, but if there were tiny scratches here and there in discs in amaray cases, I'd have no idea. I remember looking once at my normal sets of "Justified" when I was having trouble getting a "perfect" set of the complete series packaging and I'd find discs that had never been used in the amaray cases that weren't exactly flawless. There were tiny marks every now and then. Most were perfect, but when going through a bunch of multi-disc sets, it seems like there's going to be something if you look hard enough. Certainly no "deep" looking scratches. What manner of severity will actually result in an issue, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there would be a problem with most of the discs I've come across in these JP sets.
I look at every disc I buy. I used to open them and look at them in store but ran into some issues with that. I look right away so I can deal with it immediately when the store still has replacements.

Now for limited releases like this, I will buy a 'spare' in case I have issues. I looked at 24 discs and I'd say at least 12 had smudges and a few had a couple scratches.

If you're doing the math, 24 discs is 3 sets. All 3 sets had scuffed up steelbooks, unfortunately. I prefer no compromises, but I'd rather have a scuffed up steelbook than scuffed up discs from the sleeve packaging (every single sleeve packaging has scratched discs, I guarantee it).

Every single time I buy a set with sleeve packaging (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Twin Peaks, etc) they ALWAYS have scratches and it takes at least 3 sets to mix-and-match to get a complete unscrached set of discs. The same hold true for stacked discs.
Every Blu-ray should have a Play-All option for special features and every player should have 1.5x playback.
Every Blu-ray should come in a Viva Elite case with thick stock artwork and a slipcover. Each disc should have its own hub.
Dark HDR titles exist: Compare Star Trek Beyond 4K to the BD or any other Trek UHD. 10-15% are dark.

==>> Dreamliner330’s Blu-ray and 2D, 3D, 4K UHD slipcover sale extravaganza! Accepting offers!!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #244

Sep 2014

Quote:
I look at every disc I buy. I used to open them and look at them in store but ran into some issues with that. I look right away so I can deal with it immediately when the store still has replacements.

Now for limited releases like this, I will buy a 'spare' in case I have issues. I looked at 24 discs and I'd say at least 12 had smudges and a few had a couple scratches.

If you're doing the math, 24 discs is 3 sets. All 3 sets had scuffed up steelbooks, unfortunately. I prefer no compromises, but I'd rather have a scuffed up steelbook than scuffed up discs from the sleeve packaging (every single sleeve packaging has scratched discs, I guarantee it).

Every single time I buy a set with sleeve packaging (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Twin Peaks, etc) they ALWAYS have scratches and it takes at least 3 sets to mix-and-match to get a complete unscrached set of discs. The same hold true for stacked discs.
I bought The Target Exclusive 25th Blu Ray Collection and The Discs are in Cardboard Sleeves. I pulled them out as Gently as Possible but Every Single Disc still had some Minor Scratches like Any Cardboard Sleeve Packaging I've Ever got have had some.Any That I have I have Taken The Discs out and put Them in Something Else to make sure The Scratches don't get worse..
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #245

Apr 2008
Pacific NW

Anyone else NOT get the digital codes in their 4K BB Steelbook? I submitted request on Tuesday and again today to the UPHE help site but no response. Have you heard anything?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #246

Apr 2014

My Fandango code for the free movie ticket isn't working.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #247

May 2018
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilli1 View Post
My Fandango code for the free movie ticket isn't working.
It won't let me activate the code via website either. There seems to be a slightly different redemption process from the Deadpool 2 movie$.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #248

Apr 2016

Quote:

After you buy them, right? If you're opening them before purchase, most stores consider that the same as shoplifting and you can get arrested.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:18 AM   #249
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm_1980 View Post
I bought The Target Exclusive 25th Blu Ray Collection and The Discs are in Cardboard Sleeves. I pulled them out as Gently as Possible but Every Single Disc still had some Minor Scratches like Any Cardboard Sleeve Packaging I've Ever got have had some.Any That I have I have Taken The Discs out and put Them in Something Else to make sure The Scratches don't get worse..
Yeah. Sleeves always scratch. I have spare cases for the discs too. I would never put a disc back into the sleeve of death. I try and find custom artwork for the multi-disc cases and everything. I’d much rather have a simple 8-disc case inside a nice slipbox. Much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Souvenir View Post
After you buy them, right? If you're opening them before purchase, most stores consider that the same as shoplifting and you can get arrested.
Yes after. Opening before isn’t shoplifting but I’m certain they would ask you not to do and kick you out if you kept it up. How lame would it be to get arrested for checking for scratches? What are you in for? “I like movies”. Lol. I definitely wouldn’t open before buying.

I stopped because they employees would get confused. I occasionally do it at some places where they know me but not often. I don’t have issues often except for Warner double stacks, Paramount triples and sleeve packaging.
Every Blu-ray should have a Play-All option for special features and every player should have 1.5x playback.
Every Blu-ray should come in a Viva Elite case with thick stock artwork and a slipcover. Each disc should have its own hub.
Dark HDR titles exist: Compare Star Trek Beyond 4K to the BD or any other Trek UHD. 10-15% are dark.

==>> Dreamliner330’s Blu-ray and 2D, 3D, 4K UHD slipcover sale extravaganza! Accepting offers!!
Thanks given by:
Storm_1980 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #250

Sep 2012

This steelbook pairs well with the Back to the Future Trilogy steelbook.20180526_130330.jpg
Thanks given by:
Cherokee Jack (05-29-2018), henry00x (05-31-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:10 AM   #251
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2015
Columbia, SC

Finally picked this up in store today. A lot of faint scratches across the front and back plates on these, not through the paint but noticeable in the light. Doubt there will be any to exchange so I'll live with it. Nice set overall.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:49 AM   #252
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilson_11 View Post
Finally picked this up in store today. A lot of faint scratches across the front and back plates on these, not through the paint but noticeable in the light. Doubt there will be any to exchange so I'll live with it. Nice set overall.
They are all scratched. Still beats having scratched discs in the sleeve packaging. I'm sure one of these days they will learn to make a product without damaging it. Not!

Thanks given by:
ConDers (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #253
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2015
Columbia, SC

Quote:
They are all scratched. Still beats having scratched discs in the sleeve packaging. I'm sure one of these days they will learn to make a product without damaging it. Not!
I see that now, missed it in all of the scratched disc talk. After wiping them down a good bit they seem a little less noticeable but still there
Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #254

Dec 2014

So... same old BDs or no?
Adding compartments for a six pack and a gun to purses won't make men want to buy them and then the women won't want them any more either. Enough with soy-based entertainment.

Stop pledging loyalty to brand names and start rejecting anything that fails to treat your heroes and your intelligence with respect. Stop allowing corporations to re-write your memories, otherwise the past is prologue and what we'll get is more of the same.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:17 AM   #255

Jun 2016
Brownsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMatthew View Post
So... same old BDs or no?
Yes
Manners
-
Maketh
-
Man
Thanks given by:
RyanMatthew (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #256

Sep 2006
Pennsylvania

Get a copy AND on the damn spine of the set the embossing is out of sync with the print, it looks blurry if you look at it, at a certain angle....I cannot win with any kind of limited edition.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #257
Special Member

Nov 2009

Does anybody able to redeem that Fandango code yet?
Home Theater:
Projector : Epson 5040UB & 120" 16:9 ST CineGrey screen
Players : Panasonic DMP-UB820 ATV 4K Roku P+
Audio : Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar
Old 06-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #258

May 2018
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
I have redeem two successfully. I didn't need to activate via the website like it instructs. I guess they are already activated. I just input the code in "promo code" area at check-out. Worked like a charm

Last edited by Lightspeed; 06-01-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
idlebrain (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 AM   #259
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
I redeemed it today no problem.
"Give Them Nothing... But take from Them Everything!"
Thanks given by:
idlebrain (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #260
Power Member

Jul 2008

Finally received mine yesterday. Steelbooks themselves were pretty much clean except for a tiny little scuff on the bottom corner of the 4K steel.

The glue on the J-Card was horribly stuck to the package, though. I thought for sure I was going to take some of the box off with it. Thankfully, Goo-Gone got it off without anything more than a slight indentation where it once was. I can deal with that.

Tested a few scenes from JP and JW and thought they both looked great. Excited to watch the series in 4K before the new film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks