Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Dragonslayer 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
Cowboy Bebop: 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$63.74
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 day ago
Soundies: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.49
10 hrs ago
Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$46.48
3 hrs ago
Stone Cold (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #3281
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Boston

^ Thanks for the advice; this is really the first time I've uploaded things on YouTube. The thing is, they're getting flagged immediately. As soon as they are uploaded, I'm receiving and email saying they're blocked. I file a dispute, and then receive an email saying the video is all set and ready to go. So it seems there's something they have set up which sets the copyright flag off immediately. I guess I'll slow down on them, maybe keeping them under a minute. Although I can't imagine little old me uploading clips would cause Fox to stop broadcasting altogether. It's just strange because there are copyrighted clips all over YouTube.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #3282

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
Well, your "Jose Chung" clip, for example, constituted more than 10% of the episode and since it is also the last 4 1/2 minutes of it, it could arguably be considered "the heart of the work" and therefore a violation. Also, you are not transforming the work in any way or commenting on it (such as using it for an HD/SD comparison like TrekCore does with their TNG videos) which is usually required for fair use. Perhaps you should consider doing something like that.

Just because someone asks you to post four unbroken minutes of an episode on YouTube in full HD doesn't mean you should. I'm not in any way telling you what to do (and I'm not the one reporting you, either!), but if I were you I would be careful posting a lot of these on YouTube. Because they have ProSiebenMAXX's logo on them, it could cause FOX to pull the show from their channel completely if tons of long clips start flooding YouTube. For instance, your clips might spur someone else to put entire episodes on there!

I know you just want to share it with people here and give them something to watch, but this isn't the best way to do that, in my opinion.
Are you sure you didn't report him? lol

If he wants to post 3 or 4 minute clips, let him. Tons of of other people are doing the same (unaltered or otherwise). And no, ProSiebenMAXX (or the 15 other channels or services around the world) is not going to stop airing the show because people are posting clips, that's just silly.

Last edited by focuspuller; 09-27-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks given by:
Josh of the Decade (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #3283
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post

Taken down...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #3284
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
^ Thanks for the advice; this is really the first time I've uploaded things on YouTube. The thing is, they're getting flagged immediately. As soon as they are uploaded, I'm receiving and email saying they're blocked. I file a dispute, and then receive an email saying the video is all set and ready to go. So it seems there's something they have set up which sets the copyright flag off immediately. I guess I'll slow down on them, maybe keeping them under a minute. Although I can't imagine little old me uploading clips would cause Fox to stop broadcasting altogether. It's just strange because there are copyrighted clips all over YouTube.
Yep, it's called Content ID: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370?hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post
You didn't report him did you? lol
I'm not a snitch. Just offering my unsolicited advice.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #3285

Jul 2008

Quote:
Yep, it's called Content ID: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370?hl=en

I'm not a snitch. Just offering my unsolicited advice.
Not a grass? lol Fair enough.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #3286
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Boston

Quote:
Very strange that there are very similar or exact clips that have been posted and have been up for years and haven't been taken down. I wonder how they decide what to enforce

Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #3287
Expert Member

Oct 2013
USA

A lot of it's automatic, I think, based on video or audio content. There's a whole database somewhere that gets scanned when you upload a video to YouTube, which is why you see a lot of TV clips mirrored in reverse.

Thanks given by:
Josh of the Decade (09-28-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #3288
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by *PREACHER* View Post
Taken down...
Does it work when you click on the link? When I try to click the embedded video it says it's been taken down, but then the link I click brings me to the video and plays fine.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #3289
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Very strange that there are very similar or exact clips that have been posted and have been up for years and haven't been taken down. I wonder how they decide what to enforce
Perhaps ProSiebenMaxx submitted their logo for Content ID and that's what's triggering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post
If he wants to post 3 or 4 minute clips, let him. Tons of of other people are doing the same (unaltered or otherwise). And no, ProSiebenMAXX (or the 15 other channels or services around the world) is not going to stop airing the show because people are posting clips, that's just silly.
Again, I not trying to tell him what to do or stop him from doing it, just pointing out that if he wants to meet some minimum fair use requirements he should probably avoid clips that are more than 10% of the episode's length or he should certainly transform them somehow, like, for instance, placing 4x3 frame markings over the image as a PNG overlay (which would at least be educational and a form of commentary), and then upload the clips. Then, in the description he could say they're for instructional purposes only to demonstrate how much more image the HD picture has.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #3290
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Boston

Yeah I guess I'll cut down on the length of the clips, and maybe mention in the description that I've uploaded HD clips to compare to the SD versions out there?

Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #3291
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

These HD clips are stunning - Thanks for posting. These are almost a potential "sneak peek" to potential X-files Blu-rays - if the series is ever released that way, of course...

And, now that I've been spoiled by these clips, I'm not sure I have any interest in seeing the show again on the regular DVD's...

Old 09-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #3292
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Boston

Well, just received an email from YouTube and received a "Copyright strike." Hopefully, a lot of you guys were able to see them. I'll now go back to not posting on YouTube.

Edit to add a few of them are still up. Deep Throat ending, Mulder yelping in Jose Chung's, and the quick clip from Humbug. Hopefully those won't get taken down, so at least people can get a taste.

Last edited by Benh911f; 09-29-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #3293

Jan 2014
UK

That's a shame, managed to see the Deep Throat one and the one from Jose Chung, the rest seem to have disappeared they look amazing though, this is the biggest thing to happen to the X-Files since I completed my DVD collection

Thanks given by:
Benh911f (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #3294

Jul 2014

Quote:
Well, just received an email from YouTube and received a "Copyright strike." Hopefully, a lot of you guys were able to see them. I'll now go back to not posting on YouTube.
Well thanks for putting those up. It was great to finally see those shots in motion. I feel like I'm a little bit closer to the blus.

Thanks given by:
Benh911f (09-28-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #3295

Dec 2010

Growing up I never really got into the whole X-Files thing, it always bothered me in a creepy way. The only episode I remember vaguely revolved around a Lock Ness type monster that ate a fisherman.. Always been in the back of my mind so I finally gave in and started watching on Netflix. My, how great this show is so far! and as someone who buys loads of movies and shows I got curious about it's blu status.. Bit odd that a show like this hasn't popped up at all, would love a complete bd set! For now it's streaming quality from Netflix..

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #3296

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I just redid these, to match the Teliko ones. I noticed a geometry change to the shot with Mulder and Scully behind the fence, it slightly rotated compared to the DVD (which was probably slightly off).

4x03 - 'Home' DVD to HDTV Screen Comparisons:

I really like how the framing is opened up in 16:9 and looks a lot more cinematic and natural.

Thanks given by:
Daredevil666 (09-29-2014), sheldo (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #3297
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Definitely prefer the X-files 16:9 framing as well, now that I've seen the comparisons - Thanks for the posts. Though it may not add a lot (since the show was originally filmed in the full-screen format), as was said it really opens these scenes up & gives the series a much more cinematic feel/tone/vibe. And, if the show were ever to be released on Blu, watching this on a widescreen HD set will be magnificent...

That being said, I would obviously still get the show on Blu if it were only available in the full-screen format, wouldn't complain, and would be extremely happy to have this on High-Def at all...

This may possibly be my most wanted Blu TV series release of all time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 View Post
Growing up I never really got into the whole X-Files thing, it always bothered me in a creepy way. The only episode I remember vaguely revolved around a Lock Ness type monster that ate a fisherman.. Always been in the back of my mind so I finally gave in and started watching on Netflix. My, how great this show is so far! and as someone who buys loads of movies and shows I got curious about it's blu status.. Bit odd that a show like this hasn't popped up at all, would love a complete bd set! For now it's streaming quality from Netflix..
I was a casual fan of the series back when it was on in the '90's; I was in college then & didn't always have time to see the show; I think I watched it sporadically for the several seasons, and pretty much stopped watching it in 1995/1996. Though, I did watch & enjoy the first movie in 1998.

That being said, two of the reasons I got my first DVD player in 2003 was to watch The X-files & The Sopranos on DVD; I ended up watching the entire X-files series on Disk, which IMHO is the best way to watch this (streaming would be just as good of course, if it were at least DVD quality).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 09-29-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks given by:
Daredevil666 (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #3298
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Though it may not add a lot to these scenes (since the show was originally filmed in the full-screen format), as was said it really opens these scenes up & gives the series a much more cinematic feel/tone/vibe.
There's a very slight difference between the vertically framing but it doesn't really hurt the composition at all. I think if we're happy watching The Big Bang Theory in 16:9 then The X-Files will be no different. Our eye is still drawn to the 4:3 area.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #3299
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

I decided to go back and have another look at the first captures posted, to see what the differences were, they're a bit more cropped than the newer ones. I much prefer the latest examples as they lose the least amount of information from the DVDs but these aren't horrible.

1x01 'Deep Throat' DVD to HDTV Comparisons

Thanks given by:
lucidhysteria (10-07-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #3300
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Interesting - I see what you mean. In these 16:9 vs. full-screen comparisions, the top & bottom of the 16:9 screen is cropped a lot more than the top & bottom of the full-screen shots. Not a huge deal for these specific scenes, but hopefully this will all be taken into account & corrected?! (if that's possible) if & when they decide to go the 16:9 route for these theoretical Blu's...However, if they don't/can't I'm not sure much of a problem that would be, since I definitely feel that the PQ on the 16:9 shots is far superior when compared to the full-screen shots...Plus, you see more of the sides in the 16:9 shots, so it's a trade-off...

Looking at these comparison shots reminds me of the early days of DVD's - when I would rent (and sometimes buy) DVD's that had non-anamorphic widescreen & full-screen on the same disk, I would always pick the full-screen since you could actually see more of the picture...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 09-29-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists