Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Scream 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Coraline 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.99

The Fog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Juice 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.79

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

The Warriors (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Pulp Fiction 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99

They Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Dragonslayer 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
Banned

Nov 2021
EU
Default Do you always buy steelbooks?

Hi guys, strange question probably, but do you buy always the steelbook edition of the movies? I started with them a little while ago (i've always collected the classic amaray)? if not, in base of waht do you buy the classic amaray or the steelbooks? just curious, thanks!
Old 01-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2009
The Macroverse

Nope. I'll buy them now and again, but for the most part, I think Steelbooks have lost that wow factor on account of them being so commonplace now. Plus I always feel like I'm tempting fate when I handle them, worried that they're gonna get covered in scratches.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Haven't bought one for a long time.
Used to, but as Dally said, they are not special anymore
Old 01-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
Banned

Nov 2021
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Haven't bought one for a long time.
Used to, but as Dally said, they are not special anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Nope. I'll buy them now and again, but for the most part, I think Steelbooks have lost that wow factor on account of them being so commonplace now. Plus I always feel like I'm tempting fate when I handle them, worried that they're gonna get covered in scratches.
unfortunately i still have a very limited collection of movies in general, since i started just one year ago when i bought my home, and i have a ton of movies to buy and even if i like the steelbooks it's hard to buy only them. i don't know how you guys have thousands of movies and steelbooks from all over the world. i really envy you (in a good way of course)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #5

Sep 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynerd View Post
Hi guys, strange question probably, but do you buy always the steelbook edition of the movies? I started with them a little while ago (i've always collected the classic amaray)? if not, in base of waht do you buy the classic amaray or the steelbooks? just curious, thanks!
I collect a lot of things so my rule for blu-ray is to buy only steelbook or at least Boxset
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

I always avoid them unless they are cheaper or really nice like the Beauty and the Beast one that I gave to my daughter.

Nothing more fun than a damaged collector's item. I collect movies but not fancy packaging.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

I still buy them now and again mostly Doctor Who.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
Banned

Nov 2021
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglio View Post
I collect a lot of things so my rule for blu-ray is to buy only steelbook or at least Boxset
i collect lot of things too and steelbooks are usually expensive compared to normal amaray. besides that, there are a lot of different steelbooks for one movie so for me it's impossible collect all of them
Thanks given by:
Biglio (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2016
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Stop handling them with your Catwoman gloves on!
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (01-04-2022), Felix_ro (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008
-
-

No, I avoid them like they're on fire.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2009
The Macroverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
Stop handling them with your Catwoman gloves on!
Catwoman is for life, not just for Christmas.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #12
Banned

Nov 2021
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
No, I avoid them like they're on fire.
Why?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #13

Sep 2021

Quote:
i collect lot of things too and steelbooks are usually expensive compared to normal amaray. besides that, there are a lot of different steelbooks for one movie so for me it's impossible collect all of them
Yeah i know
Actually I collect by director or franchise and I don't buy premium but it's anyway very expensive.
But at the end of the day I'm very satisfied to se all on the shelf.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #14
Banned

Nov 2021
EU

Quote:
Yeah i know
Actually I collect by director or franchise and I don't buy premium but it's anyway very expensive.
But at the end of the day I'm very satisfied to se all on the shelf.
satisfied for sure, but i ask myself what are the criteria that people use about what kind of edition buy. i see people with thousands of movies, maybe builded up in years and years, and when i want to buy a movie for my collection i always got confused: blu ray steelbook, 4k steelbook, special steelbook, gift set, collection ecc i want to buy all but it's not possible so i'm still traying to figure it out what criteria i can follow. for instance i bought just 4k if there are any, so i already cut the blu-ray (since i started just one year ago), and i buy the steelbooks edition of the movie i like more or i attached for many reasons, but sometimes i found them, somtimes i don't, and sometimes they cost an insane amount of money on ebay so i have some set incomplete and i feel like i'm wasting monoey in this way.
any suggestion for a beginner collector?
Thanks given by:
Biglio (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

I think the only steelbook in my collection is The Pacific. I don't like them.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Like many, I’m quite selective. I bought The Howling 4K Steelbook which is my favourite, I’m also fond of the ‘Old’ Steelbook and Skyfall. Another good one is ‘The Town That Dreaded Sundown’ (includes original and remake)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #17

Sep 2021

Quote:
satisfied for sure, but i ask myself what are the criteria that people use about what kind of edition buy. i see people with thousands of movies, maybe builded up in years and years, and when i want to buy a movie for my collection i always got confused: blu ray steelbook, 4k steelbook, special steelbook, gift set, collection ecc i want to buy all but it's not possible so i'm still traying to figure it out what criteria i can follow. for instance i bought just 4k if there are any, so i already cut the blu-ray (since i started just one year ago), and i buy the steelbooks edition of the movie i like more or i attached for many reasons, but sometimes i found them, somtimes i don't, and sometimes they cost an insane amount of money on ebay so i have some set incomplete and i feel like i'm wasting monoey in this way.
any suggestion for a beginner collector?
I know what you mean
i'm collecting blu-ray since 2015 and the best advice I can give you is to focus on what tipe of product you want or like a follow that path.
For instance I collect only steelbook of movie that i like and I'v always chose this type of edition because i love steelbook.
I buy only "regular" steelbook because i don't care about booklet or other things.
Maybe you can continue with 4k only and buy the 4k steelbook only if you really like that movie.
I know that a lot of steelbook realesed are very expensive now but it is what it is.
Make sure to preorder all the steelbook you really want to avoid Ebay prices.
I hope I'v been useful to you.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Nope. A steel buy is always a case by case basis.

First, I really have to like the title. The impetus is wanting something a little extra special than the norm.

That being said- if a title I want is getting a steel edition, the main determining factor for me is the cover art. If I like the standard edition art better, a steel is an easy pass.

The only exception for me is the MCU films. I got the blu steels as they came out, started getting the 4k steels, and replaced the older blu ones as they went back and released the 4k steels for the earlier films. There are a couple I do not like the cover art on, but I eventually decided I wanted them all to match and filled in the gaps.
Thanks given by:
Biglio (01-04-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 12:55 AM   #19
Banned

Nov 2021
EU

Quote:
I know what you mean
i'm collecting blu-ray since 2015 and the best advice I can give you is to focus on what tipe of product you want or like a follow that path.
For instance I collect only steelbook of movie that i like and I'v always chose this type of edition because i love steelbook.
I buy only "regular" steelbook because i don't care about booklet or other things.
Maybe you can continue with 4k only and buy the 4k steelbook only if you really like that movie.
I know that a lot of steelbook realesed are very expensive now but it is what it is.
Make sure to preorder all the steelbook you really want to avoid Ebay prices.
I hope I'v been useful to you.
Yes, it's what I'm doing at the moment. I'm following the simple rule that if I can buy at a fair price a full set of steelbook of a franchise (like mission impossible or LOTR), I'll buy them, otherwise I just bought normal 4k. in other cases I'll buy all I can find and afford for movie I really care about like ghostbusters or spiderman. in other case I just buy the collector's box set like the infinity saga (UK edition) box set which is awesome and in that case I'm not looking for the steelbooks too, I just bought the steelbooks of the movies which aren't in the box set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
Nope. A steel buy is always a case by case basis.

First, I really have to like the title. The impetus is wanting something a little extra special than the norm.

That being said- if a title I want is getting a steel edition, the main determining factor for me is the cover art. If I like the standard edition art better, a steel is an easy pass.

The only exception for me is the MCU films. I got the blu steels as they came out, started getting the 4k steels, and replaced the older blu ones as they went back and released the 4k steels for the earlier films. There are a couple I do not like the cover art on, but I eventually decided I wanted them all to match and filled in the gaps.
and what about, in this case, the dozen of different steelbooks of the MCU? do you buy just one steelbook per movie or more?
Thanks given by:
Biglio (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
And what about, in this case, the dozen of different steelbooks of the MCU? do you buy just one steelbook per movie or more?
I am only looking for a viewing copy, so I only need one steel per film. I do not keep anything sealed, nor buy multiples or variants.
Thanks given by:
happynerd (01-05-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries