Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
12 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97
13 hrs ago
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$87.39

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
The Big Lebowski 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
Default Anyone get ear pain from speaker sound?

About six weeks ago I bought a Vizio soundbar with surround sound speakers for a very nominal price.

After watching movies with it for a couple of weeks I started to notice that my ears hurt after an hour or so of watching with the sound bar on. Not severe pain, but enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

Anyone else ever deal with this?

Anything to be done about it?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013

The sound bar I bought is 300 watts.

If I bought a 60 watt one, do you think that might be easier on my poor, old ears?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
The sound bar I bought is 300 watts.

If I bought a 60 watt one, do you think that might be easier on my poor, old ears?
It's because you bought one that is fatiguing to your ears. It's not about the watts of the sound bar. More then likely if your soundbar has a sub the 300 watts is the subs amp, that's not the amount of power your actual soundbar uses.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 03-12-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
It's because you bought one that is fatiguing to your ears. It's not about the watts of the sound bar. More then likely if your soundbar has a sub the 300 watts is the subs amp, that's not the amount of power your actual soundbar uses.
How do I find a sound bar that won't be fatiguing to my ears?

...what am I looking for?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:

Maybe give the sound bar a run with some of your favorite music for a good amount of time, it' s worth spending some time listening and if it sound at any point bright to you it may be a sign that it will be ear fatiguing, what people like to refer as bleeding ears. Make sure the sound bar sound smooth flowy and soft to the ears and not ear piercing when you listen to music.

I hope it is truly the cause of your ear pain or else it may just be a coincidence and you truly are starting to have problems bet I hope it's not the case.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:

You would have to audition them. There aren't any specs that will tell you what speaker is laid back or bright.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

That(all said above) and you are probably listening to nothing but amplified distortion.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Old 03-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:

You're looking for one that produces quality sound. Clean, crisp sound with no distortion. While mid-range is necessary to reproduce dialogue, too much midrange can make the sound metallic. Most soundbars are produced by Chinese companies with crap components and then sold to name-brand companies who have their brand stuck on it.

Go to a physical store and listen to soundbars until you find one you like: one that has good dialogue intelligibility but one that also has a good balance between low and high frequencies. It should sound crisp, clean, smooth and refined. Many soundbars also have Bluetooth and you can easily bring your MP3 player and play music that you know. That's a good way to tell how a soundbar performs.

You should also have your hearing checked. Hearing loss, whether age-related or because of damage from listening to loud sounds can also counter-intuitively cause someone to have excessive sensitivity to loud sounds. While there's no real cure for tinnitus and other hearing related damage, I was told by a hearing doctor that drugs that contain "LNAC" do provide some relief. I haven't tried it yet myself though.

As others have posted, the high wattage has nothing to do with it. Higher wattage should result in lower distortion, which should be easier on the ears. It has almost nothing to do with level, which you can adjust anyway.

Besides, almost all wattage ratings are phony these days. In the days of "hi-fi" the IHS used to have standards for measuring power, but they're long gone. Even putting aside the fact that the 300 watts probably applies to the subwoofer amp as others have posted, that rating could be 300 watts peak to peak at 10% distortion and it may be rated with only one channel driven.

That's 150 watts peak.

That's 106 watts RMS.

At 1% distortion it might be 80 watts.

With all channels driven, it might be 35 watts per channel.

At a specified frequently response of 20-20,000 Hz +/- 1db, it might be only 28 watts.

Good luck with your search. If you find a soundbar you like, let us know what it is.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
You're looking for one that produces quality sound. Clean, crisp sound with no distortion. While mid-range is necessary to reproduce dialogue, too much midrange can make the sound metallic. Most soundbars are produced by Chinese companies with crap components and then sold to name-brand companies who have their brand stuck on it.

Go to a physical store and listen to soundbars until you find one you like: one that has good dialogue intelligibility but one that also has a good balance between low and high frequencies. It should sound crisp, clean, smooth and refined. Many soundbars also have Bluetooth and you can easily bring your MP3 player and play music that you know. That's a good way to tell how a soundbar performs.

You should also have your hearing checked. Hearing loss, whether age-related or because of damage from listening to loud sounds can also counter-intuitively cause someone to have excessive sensitivity to loud sounds. While there's no real cure for tinnitus and other hearing related damage, I was told by a hearing doctor that drugs that contain "LNAC" do provide some relief. I haven't tried it yet myself though.

As others have posted, the high wattage has nothing to do with it. Higher wattage should result in lower distortion, which should be easier on the ears. It has almost nothing to do with level, which you can adjust anyway.

Besides, almost all wattage ratings are phony these days. In the days of "hi-fi" the IHS used to have standards for measuring power, but they're long gone. Even putting aside the fact that the 300 watts probably applies to the subwoofer amp as others have posted, that rating could be 300 watts peak to peak at 10% distortion and it may be rated with only one channel driven.

That's 150 watts peak.

That's 106 watts RMS.

At 1% distortion it might be 80 watts.

With all channels driven, it might be 35 watts per channel.

At a specified frequently response of 20-20,000 Hz +/- 1db, it might be only 28 watts.

Good luck with your search. If you find a soundbar you like, let us know what it is.
This is a great response and I really appreciate the info.

I have a Vizio sound bar with surround speakers that cost $200. It sounds fine to me, so even if it was heavy on distortion, the fact is I probably don't have the sonic palette necessary to distinguish between good sound and bad sound.

And I'm not willing to spend $500-$1000 on a more high-end system.

Guess the only option is to go to an ear doctor and see if my ears are ****ed and decide whether or not to just return the sound bar and go back to the god-awful TV speaker sound I was using before.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Boston Acoustics TVee25 or 26(essentially the same)

I have two of them in spare bedrooms.

One would be a monumental improvement.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Old 03-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

May 2009

Quote:
About six weeks ago I bought a Vizio soundbar with surround sound speakers for a very nominal price.

After watching movies with it for a couple of weeks I started to notice that my ears hurt after an hour or so of watching with the sound bar on. Not severe pain, but enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

Anyone else ever deal with this?

Anything to be done about it?

Sup Ray!, If you are noticing ear pain and the cause is the speakers....get rid of your current setup. Keep it simple...go with a 2 channel setup....forget about those HTiB systems and Sound bars.

Don't hurt your ears....it ain't worth the price.

talk to ya later Ray!
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

It's usually a certain frequency or frequencies that you're hearing too much of. Highs or mids. See if you can EQ the settings a bit. Generally, a brighter sounding sytem will be harsh in a hard more hollow room. Place that brighter system into a 'dead' room (lots of softer surfaces) and that system will balance out a bit better.
Yeah, I Cosplay, Choo gots a problems wit dat?... it freakin' rocks!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
Sup Ray!, If you are noticing ear pain and the cause is the speakers....get rid of your current setup. Keep it simple...go with a 2 channel setup....forget about those HTiB systems and Sound bars.

Don't hurt your ears....it ain't worth the price.

talk to ya later Ray!
Appreciate the advice.

Can I find a 2 channel setup (new, not used) for less than $300?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
It's usually a certain frequency or frequencies that you're hearing too much of. Highs or mids. See if you can EQ the settings a bit. Generally, a brighter sounding sytem will be harsh in a hard more hollow room. Place that brighter system into a 'dead' room (lots of softer surfaces) and that system will balance out a bit better.
Thanks man...but not sure I understand what you mean by a 'dead' room with softer surfaces?

I have it set up in my bedroom and due the group nature of my living situation, that's the only option at this point.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #15

May 2009

Quote:
Appreciate the advice.

Can I find a 2 channel setup (new, not used) for less than $300?

You should be able to find a pair of bookshelf speakers for around $200
( I'd advise to go used...you can maybe save 50%. )

As for a receiver....new will cost at least $300, used you can save big...since your setup is a basic 2 channel. let's say you save 50%

We are looking at minimum, $500 total...going all New.

Go used, and we're at $300
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
This is a great response and I really appreciate the info.

I have a Vizio sound bar with surround speakers that cost $200. It sounds fine to me, so even if it was heavy on distortion, the fact is I probably don't have the sonic palette necessary to distinguish between good sound and bad sound.
On the contrary ............... You'll know good sound when you hear it

What all speakers attempt to do is recreate real life sonic experiences in your environment. And obviously some do it better than others

In my experience it's good to listen to great (very expensive systems) to get a feel for what is possible, then try and find a similar sound (albeit scaled down) in something more your price range.

Quote:
And I'm not willing to spend $500-$1000 on a more high-end system.
It is possible to find a good sounding system in your price range ........

Quote:
Guess the only option is to go to an ear doctor and see if my ears are ****ed and decide whether or not to just return the sound bar and go back to the god-awful TV speaker sound I was using before.
I hope this is not the case and I doubt it is ...........

You'll just need to find a better solution for your home listening pleasure ....... Have you thought about headphones ?
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers