Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
8 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
Holmes & Watson (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
21 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$17.86
8 hrs ago
Zillion: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.01
8 hrs ago
The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
FLCL: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.33
8 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Might've gone a bit overboard with my home theater

So I bought a house a couple of months ago after having lived in an appartment for the last 18 years. Previously my living room doubled as office, home theater and living room. It was a mess but it worked and I was happy with it. The house on the other hand has enabled me to separate these functions into separate rooms. Finally a dedicated home theater so I went all out.

This is the room I wanted to convert. Dimansions are 3.15m x 4.56m. Height is 2.36m:

A wooden skeleton was erected to house an artificial wall for acoustic materials, hiding the cables etc. Around the edges at the ceiling is a "box" to house spotlights (dimmable) as well as the fiber HDMI cable running to the projector (through the red pipe). The two round white objects in the ceiling are two of the four ceiling mounted speakers:

A very homemade ceiling mount for the projector. To the left is the back-right Atmos speaker:

A hole was cut into the wall for the surround back speaker:

The speaker is mounted. It's an MK LCR950 speaker. Behind the black fabric is insulation material. To help with acoustics, pieces of wood was mounted at an angle:

This was done on all the walls:

The rear surround speaker from before and one of the side surround speakers (the in-wall edition of the MK LCR950). The wood pieces have been roughly painted so they won't be visible through the perforated fabric used later on:

The right wall side. The radiator was painted black. The windowsill as well as the windows are covered with black film in order to minimize incoming light. On the outside, the windows are covered with a reflective film that keeps out the heat of the sun as well as giving a mirror effect so it doesn't look black. The thermostat has been painted black after I took the picture. Note the black plastic frames along the edges of the walls. They are for the sound transparent fabric:

Walls and ceiling is finally covered in sound transparent fabric. The projection box has been painted and the inside covered in sound dampening material:

This was the wall with all the wooden bars and the two speakers. Spotlights have been mounted along the ceiling edges:

Love how the projection mount turned out:

Now, we aren't done with the project yet but check out how far we've come from the first image I posted to how it looks now:

Things still missing:
Mounting the screen. Hopefully this will be done later today.
Hooking everything up; receiver, projector, speakers. Also later today I hope.
Professional calibration of projector and sound setup. My expert is out of town next week but he'll do it when he gets back.

Can't wait to test it out when everything is up and running. Will post more pictures when the screen and all the equipment is installed.
Thanks given by:
filmo70 (02-15-2019), hagios (02-13-2019), lemonski (02-03-2019), LordCrumb (02-03-2019), silentbob (02-03-2019), solarrdadd (02-13-2019), TripleHBK (02-08-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Looks aweasome so far!! Can't wait to see the final product!!!! I have a theater as well...I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine!!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

Amazing transformation. You’re room is coming along great. However, do you have any ventilation or fan in place for your projector box? It might get a bit too warm being mostly enclosed in that space.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
Amazing transformation. You’re room is coming along great. However, do you have any ventilation or fan in place for your projector box? It might get a bit too warm being mostly enclosed in that space.
The Projector has forward facing exhausts so I think it should be ok.
Thanks given by:
RodChester (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #5

May 2009
New Zealand

Looking very nice! Well done!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

Finally, the work is complete.

Just your average living room/dining room with a pair of unobtrusive doors:

But behind them we find... material happiness:

Seating arrangements are only temporary. I just have to find the right 3-seater,

I am so happy with how it turned out:

QUITE happy:

Bonus: The noise dampening in the projection box works splendidly. When watching a movie, even during quiet scenes, I can't hear a thing.

The first movie I watched was Mutiny on The Bounty (the 60's version). Next I will put on The Force Awakens to really test audio and visual quality. This will be the first proper workout my subwoofer has had since I bought it a couple of years ago as living in an apartment had its limits on what you could venture to do with a volume knob.
Thanks given by:
D00mM4r1n3 (02-13-2019), filmo70 (02-15-2019), Gory (02-05-2019), hagios (02-13-2019), LarryT (02-07-2019), lemonski (02-09-2019), solarrdadd (02-13-2019), TripleHBK (02-08-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

Way to go! It looks like you’re watching a movie inside a black hole. Totally immersive.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #8

Feb 2010

Really nice work here. Great planning and execution. Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:04 AM   #9

Feb 2009
Chicago, IL

So awesome! And I know it's just temporary but I got a kick out of just seeing the one chair.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gory View Post
So awesome! And I know it's just temporary but I got a kick out of just seeing the one chair.
The one chair made me laugh too. My wife keeps saying we need to get another row of seats in my theater and I keep telling her all I need is one seat for myself.
Thanks given by:
Gory (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Man you did an awesome job considering your size constraints.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Very nice. This is a housewarming gift to yourself.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

My only complaint is that there is standing room only for guests.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

I've gone through quite a few movies during this week. It's pretty much impossible not to want to watch a movie when I get home from work :-)

Force Awakens was an awesome technical test. Having a completely blacked out room with dark non-reflective walls really makes my projector shine. It looks better than most cinemas. And the sound... my god the sound. It's simply terrific. All the noise dampening really helps make the best of the source. And finally having all contraints lifted on what volume I play at makes the subwoofer sing. In The Force Awakens there is a scene where Han and Finn are in a tunnel and they suddenly hear the surface is being bombed. Wow. It really felt like the room I was in was shaking - the sub made it that realistic. I am also quite happy that my SVS SB2000 is more than capable for my home theater. I have no aspirations to upgrade it for the foreseeable future.

Yesterday I did a test to see how much noise I was making outside the house. I put on the freeway car-action-scene from Deadpool and went for a walk. This scene has lots of hard-hitting bass, gunfire, explosions etc. so it was the perfect test. Through the walls.... not a thing could be heard standing next to them. Through the windows (closed) was the only place sound escaped the room which makes sense - it's not soundproof glass. My nearest neighbor across from the window might be able to hear faint traces of the most aggressive explosions if they open their own windows but with them closed I don't think they will hear a thing. Great!

Something which probably isn't visible on the photos is that the black metal frame around the screen has been covered in light-absorbing felt material. This makes me able to enlarge the image slightly outside the screen area without it being visible that I have done so. I did not do this in my apartment and I must say it makes quite the difference. By only projecting onto the screen it can be a bit difficult to fill out the screen perfectly on all four sides. By making sure the whole screen is covered with image (and no reflections from the frame) in the dark when watching a movie it really gives that "i am watching a ludicrously big windows into another world" effect. It hightens immersion.

I did not have this issue, but if your projector is not mounted completely level this technique will hide the fact that your image isn't perfectly level or straight. You only notice stuff like that by watching the edges of the projected image.

Tonight I think I will test out 3D in my new theater with Pacific Rim. Should also be quite the sound test.

Everyone, thank you for the nice compliments.
Thanks given by:
hagios (02-13-2019), kurtis21 (02-07-2019), TripleHBK (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Again....congrats! And i'm happy that you're enjoying it so much!!! Pacific Rim is AMAZING in 3D!!!!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #16

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

Some say that a home theater projector will never be as good as a regular TV. It won't be as sharp, the colours won't be as natural - you will just get a bigger picture.

Clearly these people have not experienced a really good home theater setup. This is how my 100" image looks:

Paprika:

The Pacific:

The Pacific (yes, that's Mr. Robot's Rami Malek in the background):
Thanks given by:
hagios (02-13-2019), Nitroboy (Yesterday), TripleHBK (02-12-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #17

Oct 2012

Very nice.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Sage View Post
Some say that a home theater projector will never be as good as a regular TV. It won't be as sharp, the colours won't be as natural - you will just get a bigger picture.

Clearly these people have not experienced a really good home theater setup. This is how my 100" image looks:
It looks beautiful. From the picture quality and clarity, you wouldn't think it's a projector screen. You know what you're doing.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #19

Jul 2011
OXnard, California (USA)

Moving in a few months and I never thought of doing a skeleton on top of the walls to hide wires. Might have to try that. Will also need to figure out how to convince the wife about a projector, if not how to hide a big purchase.

Nice setup!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #20

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloiphone View Post
Moving in a few months and I never thought of doing a skeleton on top of the walls to hide wires. Might have to try that. Will also need to figure out how to convince the wife about a projector, if not how to hide a big purchase.

Nice setup!
Thanks!

A tip for you: Show her a nice OLED 77” TV. Talk about how great it would be to have one. When she’s conscious again and starts telling you that she will never forgive you if you but something that expensive then sigh and say “you’re right honey as always.... but would sure be nice.”

For the next week casually leave catalogues with the 77” screen ly open aroumd the house. This will worry her. A lot.

Then one day take her to a place with a home theater projector demo room. Let her see how great it looks. How big the 100-150” image is. And then show her the price. And say “oh, that’s $8,000 less than the TV”.

You better believe you will be walking home with a projector that day.
Thanks given by:
Nitroboy (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction