Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$11.99
9 hrs ago
Zillion: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.01
9 hrs ago
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$12.99
9 hrs ago
Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
21 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Holmes & Watson (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$17.86
9 hrs ago
FLCL: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.33
9 hrs ago
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2007
DFW, Texas
Default Schrute Farms - New HT build thread! Suggestions and tips wanted!

Hello again everyone! Im going to be buying a new home and moving from Texas to Wisconsin sometime in May or June! I will have a basement theater with an 8 foot ceiling and wall dimensions of 18 x 26 approximately. Two or three of those walls will be concrete which I plan on furring in to create acoustic paneling. The other walls will be insulated and sheet rocked which I will also treat for acoustic sound proofing.

I have a basic idea of what equipment I want and need, but I welcome your input and advice on anything and everything. From construction to electrical to the components that Ive selected. I have experience with a home theater, but not with a home theater in a basement.

Heres what I propose:

1. 120-135 diag screen size (16:9)

2. Two rows of seating (3-4 recliners per row)
A. First row at 13-14
B. Second elevated row at 18?

3. 4K projector under $5k - (Sony or Epson 6040UB?)
A. Perhaps a good e-shift 4K projector if performs better than Sony
B. 3D would be nice

4. Acoustically Transparent screen - woven, brand TBD

5. Onkyo TX-RZ830 receiver

6. Speakers
A. Three Bowers & Wilkins 704 S2 for LCR
B. FXiA6 surrounds, back surrounds
C. Dual subwoofers - Elemental Designs A2-300 x 2

7. Separate amps for front and center speakers
A. Need suggestions here please. Would like at least 150 watts per speaker
B. Leaning towards Emotiva XPA-3?

8. 4K Blu-ray-Ray player - your suggestions?

9. Power conditioner

10. Overall suggestions or advice?

Last edited by Schrute Farms; 02-07-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

I would recommend you look into a Panasonic UB820 or 9000 for your disc player. This is pretty much the best player for any projector setup.
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (01-24-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
Special Member

Dec 2007
DFW, Texas

Question about subs: I have a single Elemental Designs A2-300 DOWNFIRING subwoofer and I’d like to add a second 12” sub which will probably be FRONT firing. Will this cause a problem with uneven bass or will it sound weird because of the two different sub designs? They will both be behind an acoustically transparent woven screen.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Sep 2007
San Leandro, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrute Farms View Post
Question about subs: I have a single Elemental Designs A2-300 DOWNFIRING subwoofer and Id like to add a second 12 sub which will probably be FRONT firing. Will this cause a problem with uneven bass or will it sound weird because of the two different sub designs? They will both be behind an acoustically transparent woven screen.
Should be fine as long as its the same sound level
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (01-30-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

It’s like a blast from the past!
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (02-02-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 04:35 AM   #6
Special Member

Dec 2007
DFW, Texas

I updated decisions for speakers. I really like the B&W 704 S2 speakers for LCR. Should those be enough for a 3000 cubic foot room along with the other speakers?

I also like the Emotiva XPA-3 amp for the LCR speakers.

Until it’s replacement is named, I like the Epson 6040UB projector and its price!

I found a second ED sub and will look into the Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player

Thanks all!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #7

Nov 2016

For a 120" screen 13-14' front row seating position will be great but not very immersive - another thing to think about - your second row elevated 18" will leave you 6.5' of ceiling height with a projector right above your head (depending on how deep your front and rear rows are) - not a lot of clearance and a noisy fan if in high power mode for UHD may be distracting.

I would consider moving that front row up to 10-12' and consider lowering that second platform. A typical reclining theater seat back height is 38-42" high and will probably be reclined. A typical seated position height is ~20".
Lowering the second platform will also help you get a better / level mounting height on your fronts and surrounds - the higher the platform the higher you'll have to mount the surrounds to clear the seat backs - too high and they may sound like height channels in the front row and wont be enough separation if you do an atmos setup.

Considering your front wall space in comparison to mine, looking back I wish I had gone with a 2.35 aspect ratio on my screen to take advantage of the sweet lens memory motor on the epson. Most of my BD collection is scope.

Last edited by drmdvl; 02-09-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2007
DFW, Texas

Thank you very much. I’ve been thinking the same thing about the viewing distance. I was thinking of putting the front of the recliners on the front row at 11 feet, reducing the back row height to 12 inches and locating it at approximately 16 feet from the screen. With any luck I’ll be able to excavate the basement a little lower for the front row resulting in a 9 foot ceiling for the forward half of the theater.

I’m curious about the lens memory for the Epson. Isn’t that just increasing the amount it zooms the picture forward or back? It doesn’t actually project a 2.35:1 image does it? I’ve just always thought that that resulted in the projector displaying the black bars above and below the screen. Am I wrong about that?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Howdy bud, it all sounds great can't wait til progress photos start pouring in! Unless I missed it somehow, it seems your not going ATMOS/DTS:X on the audio. Is it that you don't like it or just prefer conventional 5-7.x audio?

There is no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2007
DFW, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Howdy bud, it all sounds great can't wait til progress photos start pouring in! Unless I missed it somehow, it seems your not going ATMOS/DTS:X on the audio. Is it that you don't like it or just prefer conventional 5-7.x audio?

There is no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious.
Good to hear from you again Thor!

Im setting up an Atmos ready 7.2.2 system. I know the height speakers dont matter much, so I havent worried too much about those speakers. Id like my front height speakers to be as hidden as possible, but they wont be ceiling mounted (probably), as itll be a basement theater. They could end up being front wide/height speaker placement using another pair of dipole/bipole speakers.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

well, from one Thor, to another, I think this amp could drive not only all of your speakers for 7.x.2 but will still give your front 3 plenty of power to drive your theater needs. if I was in the market for a new amp to replace my XPA-5 or say just building a new system, I would probably go with this Emotiva XPA-11 GEN 3. also, based on your setup, you'd have more available power and plenty of future channel availability. I think it would be able to drive your system to "reference levels" if you could stand to listen to it that loud.

give it a look.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion