Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$29.39
3 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Army of Shadows (Blu-ray)
$29.39
8 hrs ago
Destry Rides Again (Blu-ray)
$29.39
10 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
10 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.99
18 hrs ago
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Beach Bum (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Crawl (Blu-ray)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland
Default Bass Management on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Sorry for the OT, but since you mentioned mastering and apparently were involved in the encoding, can you tell me what the usual approach is for the LFE track? We use the DTS encoder available as a plugin for Nuendo for our Cinema tracks, and it applies bass management (not just for the surrounds).
Is there ever any bass management applied to the lossless tracks? What about DD and DTS?

Thanks for any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I wasn't clear.. I made the home theater masters, didn't do the mastering... I chose my words poorly.. it was late/early I don't remember

Sony has a very specific setup for mixing HT masters.. we do setup a 563 Dolby encode/decode chain with bass redirection at 80Hz for all channels... we will make accommodations to the PCM master so that the full range and bass managed playbacks will match..

I think the DTS cinema encoders are unique in this way.. it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I found out that they can do the bass management to all channgels, and not just for the LFE/Surr matrix.

I haven't fully explored the consumer products to see if they offer the same type of options.
Thanks a lot for your answer.

So do I understand that correctly? There is no bass management for the PCM tracks and they are matched to the DD tracks? Isn't there a volume difference when switching from DD to PCM?

As far as I know there is never any bass management for the Cinema mixes, even though they're encoded as DD, DTS or SDDS (an audio engineer on another forum told me that).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion