Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$15.72

Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl (Blu-ray)
$16.06
2 hrs ago
Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 2 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Naruto Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.64

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #3101

May 2009
New Zealand

Just keep them all mate. There's always something one disc doesn't have that another does have. I have multiple copies of things due to that very reason.
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (10-25-2020), IdeaOfEvil (10-24-2020), Marshall2000_uk (01-22-2021)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #3102

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by two.one.six View Post
ok i only watch the English dub (Mary McGlynn) period which Blu-ray release is uncut uncensored. also if it is only the Japan and Korea editions which are way over priced then are the itunes episodes uncut uncensored?
As far as I know, none of the releases are edited, however, the U.S. Blu-ray has a lot of issues (dubtitles only, English dub switches to Japanese at random points, video is at the wrong frame rate), so if you can swing it, grab the Japanese or Korean releases. If not, iTunes doesn't have the dub audio problems.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #3103
Power Member

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEArgumedo View Post
As far as I know, none of the releases are edited, however, the U.S. Blu-ray has a lot of issues (dubtitles only, English dub switches to Japanese at random points, video is at the wrong frame rate), so if you can swing it, grab the Japanese or Korean releases.
I'm in the same boat. I started my anime collecting hobby WAAAAY too late in the game to get the Korean BD sets that were released way back in 2014. They never pop up on eBay anyway, just about everyone that bought those Korean sets are hanging on to them... (Yeah I'm looking at you, Girls With Guns )

As for the JP sets, those can still be had - but for about $325. ($650 for both seasons) I want Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. but not quite that badly.

I'll probably get the U.K. release some time next year. It's the next best thing.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #3104
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
I'm in the same boat. I started my anime collecting hobby WAAAAY too late in the game to get the Korean BD sets that were released way back in 2014. They never pop up on eBay anyway, just about everyone that bought those Korean sets are hanging on to them... (Yeah I'm looking at you, Girls With Guns )

As for the JP sets, those can still be had - but for about $325. ($650 for both seasons) I want Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. but not quite that badly.
Who, MEEE???!?

Thanks given by:
The Collector FX (10-28-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #3105

Nov 2020
Default Anyone tried to make their own?

Hey, I just ordered the UK BD for SAC and 2nd GIG, and I have the Japanese release as well.

Has anyone tried to take the Japanese release and the UK release and running them through DVDFab to make a great version with the best video, audio, and subs?

Also think I will use professorwho's list of versions to hunt down what I am missing.

-JCL
Old 11-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #3106

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl123 View Post
Hey, I just ordered the UK BD for SAC and 2nd GIG, and I have the Japanese release as well.

Has anyone tried to take the Japanese release and the UK release and running them through DVDFab to make a great version with the best video, audio, and subs?

Also think I will use professorwho's list of versions to hunt down what I am missing.

-JCL
The problem there is that the episodes of the Japanese/Korean discs are all in one big ts file, whereas the UK/FR encodes are all separate. Some of the episodes on the UK/FR discs also have the mastering cards at the start of each episode which creates a further void in timing, so it'd take a fair amount of time and effort to sync everything up. I assume it's part of the reason why nobody has created a version of SAC utilising the dub audio from the UK BD.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #3107
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Those problems are minor. Video can be split in mkvtoolnix and if the only difference is the mastering cards, then all that is need is a delay.
Thanks given by:
El3mental (11-14-2020), Mobe1969 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #3108
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Have there been any comparisons to the UK set? I'm curious what has happened with the chroma ghosting/interlacing issue in 1080p. Was there a progressive master for the show that didn't have it (just remembered the PAL DVDs were 25p), did they manage to somehow fix it in the IVTC, or is the ghosting baked in?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 PM   #3109

Nov 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaranga View Post
The problem there is that the episodes of the Japanese/Korean discs are all in one big ts file, whereas the UK/FR encodes are all separate. Some of the episodes on the UK/FR discs also have the mastering cards at the start of each episode which creates a further void in timing, so it'd take a fair amount of time and effort to sync everything up. I assume it's part of the reason why nobody has created a version of SAC utilising the dub audio from the UK BD.
So, I agree with you, or rather I don't want to disagree because I thought the same thing. But, just for S&G I install the trial version of DVDFab and it sees all the audio, video, and subtitle tracks. It almost looks as easy as just cut and paste, although I would be surprised if the timing didn't need to be adjusted.

My UK disks will be here for a few days, so just thought I would try it.

-JCL
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #3110

Nov 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
Have there been any comparisons to the UK set? I'm curious what has happened with the chroma ghosting/interlacing issue in 1080p. Was there a progressive master for the show that didn't have it (just remembered the PAL DVDs were 25p), did they manage to somehow fix it in the IVTC, or is the ghosting baked in?
From what I have read they are just not as bad as the US release, but not as good as the Japanese or Korean releases.

I just got a new Panasonic DP-UB9000 BD player, loaded the region free firmware, so I will give the UK discs a try first to see how they look compared to the Japanese one's.

-JCL
Thanks given by:
Pyoko (11-14-2020)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #3111

Mar 2016

How are these editions when it comes to PQ? Anything to dislike about them?
Im glad they come with the Jap2.0 audio.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #3112
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

2nd Gig is only $4.99 on Amazon for some reason. I know the US releases from Anchor Bay suck, but does anyone know if Lionsgate at least fixed the English audio error on recent pressings (not expecting that to be the case, but you never know).
Old 01-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #3113

Jul 2014

Sorry for asking but can’t seem to find the answer and there are a lot of pages to go through but what’s wrong with the UK Blu-ray Disc/s? I was thinking of getting the to replace my DVD Sets.

Is it just that there not actually HD, I did hear they still look better than the DVDs just not a proper HD transfer (Or something like that)
Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #3114
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall2000_uk View Post
Sorry for asking but can’t seem to find the answer and there are a lot of pages to go through but what’s wrong with the UK Blu-ray Disc/s? I was thinking of getting the to replace my DVD Sets.

Is it just that there not actually HD, I did hear they still look better than the DVDs just not a proper HD transfer (Or something like that)
Encoded at the incorrect frame rate. It's a constant 1080p 23.976 fps instead of the 1080i encode it should be, as SAC is VFR (variable frame rate), with some sections being 30i, thus by forcing a progressive encode via a hard 1080p rather than a 60i with progressive frames, you have dropped frames in sections, appearing jerky and less fluid than intended.

That's the big issue.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #3115

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Encoded at the incorrect frame rate. It's a constant 1080p 23.976 fps instead of the 1080i encode it should be, as SAC is VFR (variable frame rate), with some sections being 30i, thus by forcing a progressive encode via a hard 1080p rather than a 60i with progressive frames, you have dropped frames in sections, appearing jerky and less fluid than intended.

That's the big issue.
Thank you. I think Iíll leave it then. Manga Ent have really messed up GitS releases. The movie has some sound missing iirc.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #3116
Power Member

Aug 2019
Utah

I don't have either version. I have the Manga blu's on the way in the mail, I simply can't afford to drop $500 for the two JP season releases. It's a step up from the North American release at the very least. I'd love to own the Korean BD's but those never appear on eBay...
Old 01-23-2021, 02:36 AM   #3117
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post

That's the big issue.
I might be wrong, but as far as I remember the only thing in SAC that requires interlacing is the 30fps CG opening, which I think you could live with being chopped down or interpolated to 24fps if the rest was properly progressive. Of course it could be worse in other aspects as well.
Thanks given by:
Marshall2000_uk (01-23-2021), professorwho (01-23-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #3118

Dec 2019

I bought the GBR pack of Stand Alone Complex time ago, but now checking this thread I wonder about if JPN would offer a better watching experience. I also noticed that KOR ones come with Eng. subs so feels tempting. But does JPN and KOR use the same video and audio source?
Thx!

Last edited by Ondow; 03-15-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #3119
Power Member

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondow View Post
I bought the GBR pack of Stand Alone Complex time ago, but now checking this thread I wonder about if JPN would offer a better watching experience. I also noticed that KOR ones come with Eng. subs so feels tempting. But does JPN and KOR use the same video and audio source?
Thx!
It'll be JPN sets or bust because the Korean sets never pop up on eBay.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #3120

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
It'll be JPN sets or bust because the Korean sets never pop up on eBay.
Then I guess then that they're the same with the only difference being the Eng. subtitles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
I might be wrong, but as far as I remember the only thing in SAC that requires interlacing is the 30fps CG opening, which I think you could live with being chopped down or interpolated to 24fps if the rest was properly progressive. Of course it could be worse in other aspects as well.
Also if someone could confirm this I think that my GBR one would be the one to stick with.

Thanks again for sharing you knowledge.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime