Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
ZOMBIES (DVD)
$10.00

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (DVD)
$23.96

MacGyver: Season 2 (DVD)
$14.99

The Predator (DVD)
$17.99
11 hrs ago
9-1-1: Season One (DVD)
$17.96

Uncle Drew (DVD)
$14.96

The Americans: The Complete Final Season (DVD)
$19.99

Garfield's Halloween Adventure (DVD)
$4.79
15 hrs ago
A Bramble House Christmas (DVD)
$9.99

The Orville: The Complete First Season (DVD)
$22.08

The Stand (DVD)
$6.12

Young Sheldon: The Complete First Season (DVD)
$20.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

The below is a good read for those that haven't checked it out per the original versions of these films which are in non-anamorphic widescreen. It's truly sad they were never released in anamorphic widescreen.

The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-22-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Expert Member

Aug 2013
Washington

Glad you were able to add these to your collection. The picture isn't the greatest compared to a lot of what we see anymore, but considering a lot of us grew up with them on TV and VHS, they're pretty good. (And the only way we'll ever see them anymore unless Disney/Lucasfilm decide to go back and try to re-splice the negatives...) Heck, at this point it'd probably be easier to re-convert them digitally, though there'd definitely be some irony there, lol.)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #23

Oct 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty excited... this is super nostalgic for me as it's been what, 18 years since I've seen the originals? I'll need to put a day aside to watch them all together.

And for those that simply cannot understand and keep thinking "There are beautiful Blu-ray releases available, you guys are being silly, get over it..." it really is a big deal.

To us, it's as bad as watching a movie we love, but every so often a clown jumps on screen, talks directly to the camera, and laughs hysterically throwing pies in everyone's face. It's very distracting and takes you out of the movie.

Thanks for everyone's help and fingers crossed that someone at Disney's legal department works some magic over the coming years.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #24

Sep 2013
Burnaby, BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orange View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty excited... this is super nostalgic for me as it's been what, 18 years since I've seen the originals? I'll need to put a day aside to watch them all together.

And for those that simply cannot understand and keep thinking "There are beautiful Blu-ray releases available, you guys are being silly, get over it..." it really is a big deal.
@blu-ray_girl_fan
My apologies, you were correct about the side black bars...i double checked my BD player and it was set to 16:9 FULL which meant it would automatically zoom my pictures to fill the screen horizontally.

@Black Orange glad to see they arrived already! Here is something else that might make you watch the untouched original vs. the special edition! (as if you needed convincing )
Below is the 4:3 Letterbox Original

Below is the Widescreen Special Edition

Now notice how the "special edition" has cut off a bit of the image on the left and the right sides. (one of the tiny circles on the left of the gate is completely gone!) Now i don't know if this is a result of letterbox vs say widescreen...but the original one is giving you MORE Star Wars, so it's definitely another plus...AND Han STILL SHOOTS FIRST, DAMNIT!
Can somebody try this experiment and snap a pic of the same shot on the Blu Ray release? I'm pretty curious about this now...
Thanks!

My UV & iTunes digital copies available for trade

Entertainment Set-up:
Display - Panasonic 46" TH-C46FD18
BD Player - Panasonic DMP-BD75
Audio - Sony Home Theatre STR-KS2300
Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
Now notice how the "special edition" has cut off a bit of the image on the left and the right sides. (one of the tiny circles on the left of the gate is completely gone!)
Here's a capture from my special edition DVD. Have you got yours set for 1:1 pixel? It looks like you've got over-scan turned on.

vlcsnap-2013-10-25-03h01m14.jpg
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #26

Sep 2013
Burnaby, BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Here's a capture from my special edition DVD. Have you got yours set for 1:1 pixel? It looks like you've got over-scan turned on.

Attachment 73649
Hi Chip, thanks for posting up the nice capture!
(props for finding that exact frame i used, haha)
Where might i find this over-scan option? Is it in the zoom/format options in the TV or in the settings of my BD player?

Entertainment Set-up:
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #27
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
Hi Chip, thanks for posting up the nice capture!
(props for finding that exact frame i used, haha)
Where might i find this over-scan option? Is it in the zoom/format options in the TV or in the settings of my BD player?
Depending on your television it will be under the picture options or set-up menu. On my Samsung I can go through 16:9, 4:3, Zoom, Wide Zoom and Screen Fit choices. Some TVs have it down as Full Pixel or 1:1. If your TV supports the feature it accessible through the remote direct or through the menu.

Looking at your TV's manual it's under the FORMAT button. Panasonic's are always confusing to me so my best advice is to find a BD with 1.85:1 aspect ratio and cycle through the options until you can see the slight letter-boxing on the top and bottom. Like Jurassic Park below.

I'm not sure if the mode is FULL or JUST.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE

Last edited by chip75; 10-26-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #28

Oct 2013

Yeah, it sucks we have to jump through so many hoops just to watch the movies we love the way we love and remember them.

All things considered, now that we've narrowed down the versions you need and the goofy aspect ratio settings that need adjusting, hopefully we've made the task much easier for the next film lover!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
Expert Member

Aug 2013
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Depending on your television it will be under the picture options or set-up menu. On my Samsung I can go through 16:9, 4:3, Zoom, Wide Zoom and Screen Fit choices. Some TVs have it down as Full Pixel or 1:1. If your TV supports the feature it accessible through the remote direct or through the menu.

Looking at your TV's manual it's under the FORMAT button. Panasonic's are always confusing to me so my best advice is to find a BD with 1.85:1 aspect ratio and cycle through the options until you can see the slight letter-boxing on the top and bottom. Like Jurassic Park below.

I'm not sure if the mode is FULL or JUST.
Okay, because I'm in the market for a TV, I have to ask, what model is your Samsung, and would you recommend it?
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Okay, because I'm in the market for a TV, I have to ask, what model is your Samsung, and would you recommend it?
The Samsung 42'' plasma I have downstairs is getting on a bit and my TV upstairs is a Samsung LED Sync Master T24B300 which is only a 24''. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest as it only has one HDMI input and it gets a bit fiddly with it's power-saving options. It has a habit of turning itself off when you want to switch between PC and HDMI sources (it goes into stand-by when you shut your PC off). I do recommend Samsung (they're very popular in the UK) products but most name brands make decent products these days.

If you're concerned about not having 1:1 pixel mode it's quite rare to find a HDTV that doesn't support it but it's also worth checking on a display model or the on-line manual.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #31

Dec 2007
Canada

So if I wanted to buy the 2 trilogies on Blu-Ray and prefer the original versions but can probably accept the special versions...which set should I buy?
PS3 Games Owned -- Dead Space - Bioshock - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - BlackSite: Area 51 - Lair - Burnout Paradise - Battlefield: Bad Company - Madden NFL 09 My Top 40 Survival Horror Games

Favorite Blu-Rays: Sunshine, Dead Space: Downfall, The Universe Seasons 1-3, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles 1-2, Alexander, Doom, Pitch Black/Riddick, Event Horizon, The Thing
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #32
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywolf32 View Post
So if I wanted to buy the 2 trilogies on Blu-Ray and prefer the original versions but can probably accept the special versions...which set should I buy?

If you want the extras.

If you just want the films.

If you want DVD copies with your BDs. Other regions might be cheaper!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #33

Sep 2013
Burnaby, BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywolf32 View Post
Yep, i agree with Chip's breakdown there. And if you're a fan, you probably will want the special features disc cause it does have some jewels from the old trilogy. I just hope you know what you're getting when u buy the Blu's hahaha. George threw in a few more "special modifications" into the old trilogy

Entertainment Set-up:
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

buy them all - Fox/Lucas/Disney need more money!

I bought the big set mostly because I like watching the behind the scenes stuff so if you are into that, buy that.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2013
South Carolina

You may want to see what editions they release for part 7.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #36

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
Star Wars is a good movie.
ROFL God that was funny!!!

I agree with the original post one hundred percent, what I would really want is a blu-ray of the THX mastered '95 VHS release of the trilogy. Perhaps now that Lucas Films has been sold this will eventually happen. In the meantime the despecialized edition is a great option, hopefully I can find a good download for it.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

I settled with the LaserDisc THX set with the faces on the covers. I found a mint set on eBay for about 35 dollars.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

IMO, this is the best set to get. Original unaltered, and best quality on Laserdisc (as long as you don't mind Japanese subtitles).

Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 12-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Hate to break this to you, but that's the 2000 re-release which definitely contains the Special Edition versions. Lucas pulled the same crap with the US and UK VHS box sets that were released that same year, in that the fact that they were the Special Edition versions was deliberately not disclosed on the packaging. Of course that wasn't Lucas' first act of blatant revisionism, and sadly it wasn't the last.

Personally, my favorite one is the 1995 Japanese "Collector's Set" because not only does it has the original versions of the films (with the same transfer as the 1993 US THX "Faces" singles), but also the long-suppressed "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary. Remember Lucas' infamous quote from 1983 where he said "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."? That's where that quote came from, and that's also why of all the 4 official contemporary documentaries only FSWTJ was deliberately not included in the 2011 "Complete Saga" BD box set.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Last edited by svenge; 12-16-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Thanks given by:
Pondosinatra (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
Hate to break this to you, but that's the 2000 re-release which definitely contains the Special Edition versions. Lucas pulled the same crap with the US and UK VHS box sets that were released that same year, in that the fact that they were the Special Edition versions was deliberately not disclosed on the packaging. Of course that wasn't Lucas' first act of blatant revisionism, and sadly it wasn't the last.

Personally, my favorite one is the 1995 Japanese "Collector's Set" because not only does it has the original versions of the films (with the same transfer as the 1993 US THX "Faces" singles), but also the long-suppressed "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary. Remember Lucas' infamous quote from 1983 where he said "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."? That's where that quote came from, and that's also why of all the 4 official contemporary documentaries only FSWTJ was deliberately not included in the 2011 "Complete Saga" BD box set.
Ah, maybe I got it confused with the Japanese 'white' edition...
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies