Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99
10 hrs ago
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$54.99
14 hrs ago
Mad Men: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$77.12

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.98

The Silent Partner (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

1984 (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #14781
Special Member

Feb 2008

My perfect solution is movies delivered on physical media that I can easily backup to a local server, with a Movies Anywhere code.

Right now I have ripped all my Blu-rays using MakeMKV, then using Plex as my server. But itís not very user friendly. If they could perfect it for the average consumer, that would be great.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #14782
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post
Right now I have ripped all my Blu-rays using MakeMKV, then using Plex as my server. But itís not very user friendly. If they could perfect it for the average consumer, that would be great.
IMHO, even if most of the process was automated the average consumer would not pay the cost of the hardware. Then you have the problem of no menus unless you do ISO's which will not work on BDA authorized players. To this day trying to find a media player that does lossless immersive audio, menus, HDR, original frame rate, etc. is a real pain.

AFAIK Kaleidescape is the only device that has BD and UHD BD quality and plays via a media server. The hardware and software is very expensive.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #14783
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I never claimed we wouldnít have electricity. Iím talking about the limitations of Solar.

Another issue is that a tax could be introduced for carbon in the home. The bigger your footprint, the bigger the tax. I fully suspect this will be introduced. This would mean many households would have to make the decision to watch far less tv lest they end up with a huge bill. Indeed, it may encourage many to scrap the tv altogether. I have said for years, the governments of the world (especially the Tories in the U.K. in my opinion) would find a way to tax our leisure time. Carbon tax for households is coming and itís coming soon. Be it the U.K. or the US.

One way or another, m going to be right about the tv in the home decreasing.
Furthermore, gaming by proxy would then be affected also.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #14784

Apr 2017

TV usage is a tiny percentage of the electricity and carbon footprint in most people's homes. Do you think everyone is going to stop using microwaves and ovens? Do you think people are going to make sure to turn off their lights whenever they aren't necessary? Do you think people are going to heat (or cool down) their homes way less? All of those things make a much bigger impact than using a big screen TV for a few hours every day.

You just keep coming up with new reasons why everyone is going to be giving up their TVs in the next couple decades but they all continue to be absurd.
Thanks given by:
bessetmath (Today), cheez avenger (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #14785
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

It was a gorgeous day here! Sunny, cloudless sky, reliable light breeze, and with a high temperature of about 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

While some here chose to worry about one highly improbable scenario after another, I spent the day like this:

CalvinHobbs.jpg

A day like this one provided some much needed perspective. It was worlds of fun, too.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 12:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology