Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
23 hrs ago
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$15.99
23 hrs ago
Ultraman X: The Series + The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95

Beyond the Door (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 12-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #19701
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
He doesn't understand that the download system used by Kaleidescape, the only service that offers downloaded files the same size as those found on a disc, is a proprietary system that uses DRM to control both your content and to lock you into their eco system. With out Kaleidescape's hardware AND software, you can not play their downloads. That and their system is insanely expensive
And that's even scarier than usual with an unpopular system like Kaleidescape. People could easily spend tens of thousands of dollars on movies and they'd lose them all if Kaleidescape ever goes out of business. And some of those movies would likely disappear from other digital storefronts in the meantime and could be irreplaceable.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-13-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #19702
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Iím taking it day by day Vilya. I literally work, eat, sleep and when Iím off Iím looking at furniture that will fit in my place. Not to mention, listing a bunch of my collectibles on eBay to help both me and my ex on bills. Anyway, appreciate the support. Iíve been mainly watching old DVDs for the moment. Iíve been too tired to unpack the BDs I took with me. I might sign back up for Netflix BD service when I can.
I am sorry that you need to sell your collectibles; that's rough.

I hope things settle down into a comfortable routine soon.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (12-14-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #19703
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
And that's even scarier than usual with an unpopular system like Kaleidescape. People could easily spend tens of thousands of dollars on movies and they'd lose them all if Kaleidescape ever goes out of business. And some of those movies would likely disappear from other digital storefronts in the meantime and could be irreplaceable.
Additionally, downloading files up to 100 GB in size each is not something that many people are going to enjoy doing with any frequency, especially if they lack very fast internet service.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #19704
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Zappiti is Android based so it has Android Apps to access your favorite Streaming Providers for that full Media Center Experience.
Not true, no Dolby Vision and no HLG.

There is Android TV and then there is authorized Android TV, click here for a list of products in the US.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #19705
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

For the next gen of Xbox (here):

Quote:
ďThis generation, weíve really focused on 4K visuals and how we bring both movies through 4K Blu-ray and video streaming,Ē Spencer added. ďAnd with Xbox One X allowing games to run at 4K visuals will make really strong visual enhancements next generation.Ē
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #19706
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
My next hardware upgrade will either be to buy a new AVR or to buy new front speakers. I am having a hard time deciding upon a brand for either one and there are no decent stores within a 100 mile radius of me to audition anything. Audio products really need to be auditioned before purchasing. I have a budget in mind for both, but that's all. I like the peace and quiet of a rural area, but you won't find good home theater stores anywhere near here. Nor good restaurants.
I would start with a Magnolia Design Center to get an idea of the speakers available. There is a MDC located below. Finding a MDC can be a pain, search for Magnolia Design Center, city and state (IL). SVS speakers are favorites of some and MDC is a authorized outlet. Most of the manufactures list authorized outlets, unfortunately, most are integrator/installer with no showrooms but you may get lucky and find a dealer with demo models.

It appears BD.COM does not like MDC links, so cut and paste.
"https://stores.bestbuy.com/il/chicago/2100-n-elston-ave-814/magnolia.html"

Last edited by Wendell R. Breland; 12-13-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #19707
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
I would start with a Magnolia Design Center to get an idea of the speakers available. There is a MDC located below. Finding a MDC can be a pain, search for Magnolia Design Center, city and state (IL). SVS speakers are favorites of some and MDC is a authorized outlet. Most of the manufactures list authorized outlets, unfortunately, most are integrator/installer with no showrooms but you may get lucky and find a dealer with demo models.

It appears BD.COM does not like MDC links, so cut and paste.
"https://stores.bestbuy.com/il/chicago/2100-n-elston-ave-814/magnolia.html"
Thank you for all of this information. The nearest major city to me is St. Louis, Mo.

The SVS speakers are all way under my budget, but it never hurts to give them a listen. I am willing to go as high as $4K for a pair of floor standing speakers. What do you think of the GoldenEar Tritons?

https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

My now ancient floor standing speakers handle bass well, so much so that I never saw a need to get a sub. I notice that some of today's floor standing speakers have subs built-in. Is that desirable or should a sub be a separate unit? Do (some) floor standing speakers without a built-in sub still deliver bass response equivalent to what a separate sub could?

I bought my existing AVR from a Magnolia within a Best Buy, but that was in southern California where there were no shortages of stores to audition gear at least way back in 2006. That's how old my AVR is; I have the Denon AVR 4806. I am budgeting about $2500 to replace it.

It still works great, but is it ever out of date. My only complaint with new AVRs is that they do not support legacy devices as well as the one that I own now. You won't find S-video connectors on many AVRs today.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-13-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #19708

Feb 2010

Quote:
Thank you for all of this information. The nearest major city to me is St. Louis, Mo.

The SVS speakers are all way under my budget, but it never hurts to give them a listen. I am willing to go as high as $4K for a pair of floor standing speakers. What do you think of the GoldenEar Tritons?

https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

My now ancient floor standing speakers handle bass well, so much so that I never saw a need to get a sub. I notice that some of today's floor standing speakers have subs built-in. Is that desirable or should a sub be a separate unit? Do (some) floor standing speakers without a built-in sub still deliver bass response equivalent to what a separate sub could?

I bought my existing AVR from a Magnolia within a Best Buy, but that was in southern California where there were no shortages of stores to audition gear at least way back in 2006. That's how old my AVR is; I have the Denon AVR 4806. I am budgeting about $2500 to replace it.

It still works great, but is it ever out of date. My only complaint with new AVRs is that they do not support legacy devices as well as the one that I own now. You won't find S-video connectors on many AVRs today.
GoldenEar is Sandy Grossí company he started up after he parted ways with Definitive Technology. I have listened to them at the Sound Room here in town and they are solid performers. If you want to check them out in person, that would be the place I would suggest if you want to plan a trip to St Louis. Hell, if schedules line up, I could meet you there and maybe grab a bite to eat.

Speakers with subs built in are somewhat of a polarizing category with some people loving them and some not in favor of. The challenge in my mind is that where you place your main speakers in your room may not be the optimum placement for subs. In other words, you have your two mains placed to the left and right of your big new tv because they image the best there, or that is where fit, but those spots are not kind to bass in your room. Even with calibration being a lot better in todayís receivers, you still canít overcome the placement. Anytime someone picks up speakers with subs in them, I still nudge them towards a separate sub. Ultimately if you went that direction, you could start with the Tritons and see what you think, and add a sub if you feel that you need a bit more bottom end.
Thanks given by:
mackiedog (12-14-2019), Vilya (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #19709
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
GoldenEar is Sandy Gross’ company he started up after he parted ways with Definitive Technology. I have listened to them at the Sound Room here in town and they are solid performers. If you want to check them out in person, that would be the place I would suggest if you want to plan a trip to St Louis. Hell, if schedules line up, I could meet you there and maybe grab a bite to eat.

Speakers with subs built in are somewhat of a polarizing category with some people loving them and some not in favor of. The challenge in my mind is that where you place your main speakers in your room may not be the optimum placement for subs. In other words, you have your two mains placed to the left and right of your big new tv because they image the best there, or that is where fit, but those spots are not kind to bass in your room. Even with calibration being a lot better in today’s receivers, you still can’t overcome the placement. Anytime someone picks up speakers with subs in them, I still nudge them towards a separate sub. Ultimately if you went that direction, you could start with the Tritons and see what you think, and add a sub if you feel that you need a bit more bottom end.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Sound Room and for the invite; that would be a lot of fun.

I won't be buying anything major before spring and I am undecided whether to buy a new AVR first or to buy new front speakers first. I have to do these purchases one at a time.

You make a good point about built-in subs; I will have to mull that over. Still, I do want to audition the GoldenEar Tritons. Curiously, Definitive Technology speakers include both built-in subs and upward firing height speakers, but I "heard" that their drivers are made of treated paper instead of polypropylene. Upward firing speakers are not generally well regarded, either.

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9080x

Last edited by Vilya; 12-14-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #19710

Feb 2010

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation of the Sound Room and for the invite; that would be a lot of fun.

I won't be buying anything major before spring and I am undecided whether to buy a new AVR first or to buy new front speakers first. I have to do these purchases one at a time.

You make a good point about built-in subs; I will have to mull that over. Still, I do want to audition the GoldenEar Tritons. Curiously, Definitive Technology speakers include both built-in subs and upward firing height speakers, but I "heard" that their drivers are made of treated paper instead of polypropylene. Upward firing speakers are not generally well regarded, either.

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9080x
Atmos add on speakers or built in upward firing are convenient, but not always the best way to get an immersive setup. Sometimes the room will not allow for mounting speakers above your head, so that route is often the only way to go. PM me when you get closer to heading out this way to see if we can make something happen. I love helping people spend their money!
Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #19711
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
It appears St. Louis does have a Magnolia but no Design Center. As to speaker style, what gotmule said. It takes a large box and lots of power to get down in the 16 to 30 Hz range, produce ample output with fairly low distortion. Did you download the warble tones here. I use the free site so it makes you wait at every step. Your Oppo 203 can play the FLAC files. I assume you have a decent SPL meter, you really need one for channel balance and other testing. I recommend the Galaxy CM-140 Sound Level Meter (Verified+) here.

My three front DIY speakers are D'appolito style but uses two tweeters, the physical on-axis plane is ear level for all three. This requires a acoustical transparent screen. It is a personal thing, I like to hear dialogue coming from the center of the screen. During the many years of a 78" hard screen I had no choice except to use 2 front speakers and use a phantom center channel.

The GoldenEar speakers have received very good reviews over the years. They use passive radiators to extend the bass response on many of their speakers, it is a method that I do not care for. Again, just personal preferences, I like speakers with fairly low Q with optimum damping to maybe a little over damped. A lot of aftermarket automotive bass units use a double tuned box with a high Q, lots of output with not very many watts. I call them one note blasters and they all sound the same.

I would caution against more money = better sound, I have auditioned $30,000 a pair speakers that sounded fine with chamber music at fairly low levels but fell apart with pop music at moderate levels. Highly recommend this article and the test in 5. Array Test Results. This style of speaker is not for me but the info on cost vs performance is worth the read.

For your next AVR or AVP I would make sure it has a very good parametric EQ with bands that covers sub-bass regions.

The best advice, if at all possible take gotmule up on his offer, he seems quite knowledgeable on loudspeakers and could convey more info in a few hours than many post here. It has been several years now since doing loudspeakers and I hope my terms and info is correct.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (12-15-2019), Vilya (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #19712
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Quote:
I am sorry that you need to sell your collectibles; that's rough.

I hope things settle down into a comfortable routine soon.
More like streamlining than the entire collection, but thank you.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #19713
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Just when you thought that you could not read anything more imbecilic, I give you this post in another thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=2804

"Anything that's not being used for that long, it's going to have problems because, the internal mechanisms need to operable and in use for them for self lubrications and mobile to keep them functioning."

^The author of this gem is trying to explain why a blu-ray disc could go bad.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #19714
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Eh, I can’t tell if they were being serious or facetious
Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #19715

Feb 2019
Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:
Just when you thought that you could not read anything more imbecilic, I give you this post in another thread:

"Anything that's not being used for that long, it's going to have problems because, the internal mechanisms need to operable and in use for them for self lubrications and mobile to keep them functioning."

Sounds like that person may be referring to the player? discs donít have internal mechanisms or lubrication. Someone correct me if Iím wrong. I have had this happen to me. I had a player I wasnít using for a while and I plugged it back in because the newer one was having a hard time with older dvds. The older playerís disc slot opened and closed very slowly and sounded a bit rough. I am not sure why I even keep it at this point. It sounds like it is chewing on the discs instead of spinning them.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #19716

Feb 2019
Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:

Alternatively, you could have simply asked what the author meant instead of slamming him or her in a different thread.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #19717
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalMediaNut View Post
Alternatively, you could have simply asked what the author meant instead of slamming him or her in a different thread.
This person has a history of posting ridiculous and idiotic things. Describing his post as imbecilic is accurate and I do not apologize if any snowflakes were offended by this apt descriptor of his post. I also commented in the thread where he posted; had you bothered to read further you would have noticed. I even thanked most of the replies to his post.

Quote:
Sounds like that person may be referring to the player?
It is also obvious that he is talking about discs, and not the disc players, plural, as it would be absurd to think that the person he was replying to had not used their multiple disc players in 12 years or that all of his players had simultaneously failed.

The post to which he is replying said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
Tried to play my 2007 Ratatouille release on mulitple players tonight and all rejected the disc.

Not pleased. Anyone have experience with contacting Disney about defective products.

Disc was only watched once in 12 years.
In his response, he says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
12 years? Why did you even buy it, you should've just rented it. People don't buy movies just to store in a rack for umpteen years, and expect them to still play afterwards. Anything that's not being used for that long, it's going to have problems because, the internal mechanisms need to operable and in use for them for self lubrications and mobile to keep them functioning.
What's "not being used" here? The disc or the multiple players? The disc is what has not been used for 12 years; the disc is what is defective, and the disc is what is being discussed.

It is abundantly clear that disc failure is the topic of discussion, not simultaneous multiple player malfunction. The replies that he received in response to his post also confirm that defective discs were the topic, not players.

See the subsequent conversation here:

Quote:
People don't buy movies just to store in a rack for umpteen years, and expect them to still play afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
Well actually they do.
Quote:
Then its stupid.
He thinks that people who buy and store discs for long periods, and that still expect them to play later, are "stupid." What a nice guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
It's also stupid that you spelled IT'S without the necessary apostrophe.
Quote:
I spell it the way I want to spell it! Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.
^Does he still come across as the sweetheart that you thought he was?

More replies to his dumb post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
well I guess all those collector's with big collections are screwed then... thanks for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
This is absolute nonsense. It's a disc not a car. There are no moving parts so nothing to maintain. The only reason optical discs ever go bad are because of either manufacturing problems or mishandling by the user.

A lot of these discs are breaking down because the plastic layer/s covering the data are letting in air and slowing oxidising the data layer. It's either poor material which is breaking down overtime or its the glue used.
^ This person describes his post as "absolute nonsense"; is that really that much nicer than my calling it imbecilic? Will you go and chastise him, too? Don't forget to reprimand Professor Echo, quoted above, for his little jibe. Looks like ol' Slimdude needs your tender attention as well. If you wanna be the self-appointed forum nanny, hop to it; you're gonna be very busy indeed.

Reading comprehension makes all the difference; try it sometime.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #19718
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Eh, I canít tell if they were being serious or facetious
If you knew their history, you would be able to tell which without hesitation.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #19719
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
The OP (slimdude) in question is a mess. The poster should have separated players from disc. Oilite bearings in optical disc players, car alternators, drills, etc. can dry out from lack of use.

A stamped optical disc metal layer(s) can oxidize over time and become unplayable. A properly stored optical disc should play regardless of the interval of play. At work we had CD's play 24/365 for one of the FM sub-channels. I have CD's from the mid 80's that play fine after being on the shelf for years.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #19720
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
The OP (slimdude) in question is a mess. The poster should have separated players from disc. Oilite bearings in optical disc players, car alternators, drills, etc. can dry out from lack of use.

A stamped optical disc metal layer(s) can oxidize over time and become unplayable. A properly stored optical disc should play regardless of the interval of play. At work we had CD's play 24/365 for one of the FM sub-channels. I have CD's from the mid 80's that play fine after being on the shelf for years.
Exactly. The forum member with the bad disc, 78deluxe, did not experience simultaneous catastrophic failure across all of his disc players. He tried to play a disc that had been stored for 12 years on each of his players and he could not do so. Knucklehead then comes along and criticizes him for expecting the disc to play and for even buying it in the first place.

I wonder how often he thinks that we need to play a disc in order to maintain its playability AND to justify purchasing it at all?

Last edited by Vilya; 12-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology