Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49
8 hrs ago
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32

Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
5 hrs ago
Beyond the Door (Blu-ray)
$33.03
16 hrs ago
Ultraman X: The Series + The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.72

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04

Dragon Ball Super: Part 10 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 108 68.35%
500-599 37 23.42%
600-699 5 3.16%
700+ 8 5.06%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #3101
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I can only assume the the second console will be called the Series S. Could be Sony's biggest threat if it launches at the rumoured $300-$400 and with the 4tf+ Navi it would be even more powerful than the One X for the same price. Only downside is that it's digital only.

PS5 and Series X are both likely to run in to $500

Godfall was probably the worst way to demonstrate a PS5 game especially when MS demoed Hellblade 2 which looked a million times better, granted it was in engine cutscenes so gameplay could look different but still blew away that PS5 game in the graphics department.
Whilst i agree the Hellblade II reveal looked visually more striking due to the more realistic nature of what we saw. I'd argue the PS5 is holding back the best reveals for later on. Microsoft is blowing their load quite early on. Halo & Hellblade II. Sony on the other hands done a closed door Spiderman demo for speed reference of NVMe SSD vs HDD & basically an haptic feedback demo for Dualshock 5. There's only anecdotal evidence of games after that.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #3102
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Future 8K/120hz support

For me personally, i seriously wonder what the hell "8K/120hz" is written like that for. 8k as a resolution may be possible in some rudimentary form, but 120hz support at that resolution is flat out false. Even if you consider 12 Teraflops in a closed system. A RTX 2080 ti is circa 14.2 Teraflops and that can barely run 120fps @ native 4k with bells and whistles let alone a 12 Teraflops GPU in a console doing 8k @ 120hz output.
From couple of articles I have read, I remember from both cases that it was supporting 8k display and supporting up to 120Hz (4k that is), NOT 120Hz@8k. Whoever wrote the spec made it a bit ambiguous.

You are correct in stating 8k@120Hz is a stretch.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #3103
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post
From couple of articles I have read, I remember from both cases that it was supporting 8k display and supporting up to 120Hz (4k that is), NOT 120Hz@8k. Whoever wrote the spec made it a bit ambiguous.

If they manage to somehow do 4k @ 120hz with proper graphics, then i'll give them credit. Until then, i'm veering towards 4k @ 60fps output to be the most common output with perhaps some devs choosing to do 30fps as an aesthetic choice. 8k is going to be seriously limited, even when PS6 swings around. In fact, by that time you'll be lucky to get a 4k @ 120fps output with bells and whistles. I can imagine on select titles up to 240fps will be the headline for PS6 if they're pulling the 120hz card right now.

Personally if they can even allow PS5 users the option to drop to 1080p and run 120fps or even higher framerates, that would be awesome. Only for select competitive MP titles need it though imo like Call of Duty, Fortnite, Fifa etc.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #3104
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

The real question is are we all prepared to buy new TVs to take advantage of 120fps and VRR? My guess is no, so it's not really going to be an issue for a lot of people if a game supports it or not.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #3105
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
The real question is are we all prepared to buy new TVs to take advantage of 120fps and VRR? My guess is no, so it's not really going to be an issue for a lot of people if a game supports it or not.
Fortunately for me, i'm upgrading in 2020 when those models releasing next year onwards should have HDMI 2.1 and go on sale circa Black Friday etc.

The top TV i'm targeting however is the LG C9 OLED with its extremely low input lag of 13ms @ 60fps and falling to circa 6.5ms at 120hz output.

So everything should hopefully if going according to plan give me a full and proper step into 4K HDR.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #3106
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetieMan View Post
Uhhh... Death Stranding never dips into the low 20s as far as its framerate goes. That's outright BS.

Digital Foundry did their tech analysis on the Pro, and the lowest dips where like 26/27-fps, in very, VERY minor moments.
It does & DF only examines areas of the game where intense action is happening on-screen.

When connected online all you have to do to see low FPS is simply drive to ďDistribution Center South of Lake Knot CityĒ on the freeway. Thatís the most common area of FPS dips.

Heartmanís location is probably the worst Iíve personally seen. Definitely low 20ís after playing 6ish hours on Pro. Almost unplayable until you get out of that area.

The game also dips when encountering multiple vehicles left behind that havenít rendered in your field of view.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #3107
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post

Both consoles will be capable of scaling up to 8K with games. Where they will struggle here is keeping 60fps. Itís similar to PS4 Pro 4K. Itís not native.

I wouldnít care too much about the marketing around it as next gen will be all about higher FPS & decreased loading times with a target of 4K/HDR/RT
Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #3108
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I wouldnít care too much about the marketing around it as next gen will be all about higher FPS & decreased loading times with a target of 4K/HDR/RT
And thatís how it should be

Letís face it, weíll not get a generation leap again. games already look great this gen, any improvement over that is a bonus. FPS is where consoles have a lot of room for improvement, so it should be the priority
Old 12-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #3109
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
And thatís how it should be

Letís face it, weíll not get a generation leap again. games already look great this gen, any improvement over that is a bonus. FPS is where consoles have a lot of room for improvement, so it should be the priority
As much as graphics may start seeing their position take a backseat, the ultimate end goals always been photorealistic graphics if devs want to do that. Then the secondary goals would be to have that all be done at the highest possible FPS, loading times etc. As we're now reaching a small plateau for graphics, tech leaps in storage to NVMe SSDs mean we get devs using completely new development techniques to present us with gaming experiences in another unique way. It might not seem too different but it's important. Huge open worlds seamlessly being moved through and furthermore, as NVMe SSDs get even better, the possibility that we can give devs the ability to make like say houses or hotels etc. in city scapes be fully explorable. Although i do imagine we'll have "Copy & Paste" tech that randomises interiors for those environments from preset objects and parameters to save devs headaches. The thing about gaming is that when we have games like Dreams allowing normal everyday people like me or you and so on to make these fully playable and amazing games, then devs have even more stuff available to keep that innovation going. The PC mod community also a great example of collaborations where people develop assets and so on and share them.

So gaming is imo definitely letting areas that have fallen behind before move forwards finally now that techs helping get there. GPUs however whilst also the key part of a graphical perspective are still also largely the source of framerates. So graphics and FPS will always be tied and until there's really another seismic breakthrough in GPU tech. we're gonna really see the NVMe SSDs this gen powering the biggest change imo. Ray Tracing is an interesting one though. With dedicated hardware taking over certain aspects like light and sound tracing, that leaves GPUs free to use that power for graphics & fps. It was always seen as an extra load but how much that loads relieved is to be seen. As in PCs, as far as i'm aware very few GPUs have dedicated hardware for it and more were supported by software recently. PS5 & XSX will have the former.

To me though, i haven't seen anything impressive just yet from next gen. The graphics on the XSX Hellblade II reveal were apparently real time so guess we'll have to see things in person as 1080p YouTube compressions aren't the best way.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #3110
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It was in engine but in engine cut scenes and in engine gameplay are two very different things I don't doubt it will look great but not quite as great as that cut scene.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #3111
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
It was in engine but in engine cut scenes and in engine gameplay are two very different things I don't doubt it will look great but not quite as great as that cut scene.
Tbh, i think a lot of people actually may be underwhelmed from a graphical PoV next gen if they're expecting something completely different. PS4 Pro and X1X will still look great, but PS5 will just finesse everything that little bit more. I think gameplay design is where we'll now start to see big changes when devs no longer have to duplicate data for next gen only games. That also raises the question of how streaming could ever replicate that same experience now. That push towards streaming could kill innovation a little imo.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #3112
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I think youíll be shocked then.

The first game looked incredible. I did see an increase in detail in that trailer by comparison but nothing that stood out as ďnot possibleĒ with next gen graphical gameplay.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #3113
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

I really hope Sony isn’t doing the same design as Xbox Series X. I want something I can fit under my tv.
Thanks given by:
emailking (12-19-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #3114
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
I really hope Sony isn’t doing the same design as Xbox Series X. I want something I can fit under my tv.
And why won’t it fit under ur tv?
Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #3115
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Sony needs to hurry up and revel the design for the PS5. They are alway last.

Last edited by Batman90; 12-15-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #3116
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
And why wonít it fit under ur tv?
While some people may have a TV stand that has tons of space in between the shelves, I'd be surprised if just many don't. It's basically a PC tower, and unless you always were able to stand your systems up vertically, this isn't going to be any different as it is at least as high as the Xbox One X standing vertically. Even sitting horizontal and having the fan blow out the side rather than being on top, it's at least as thick as 3 Xbox One X's sitting on top of eachother.

While that design will be great for cooling, I still hope that Sony sticks with a more traditional console look for the PS5 rather than going all PC on us. I also agree that Sony should reveal the PS5 soon.
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (12-15-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #3117
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
While some people may have a TV stand that has tons of space in between the shelves, I'd be surprised if just many don't. It's basically a PC tower, and unless you always were able to stand your systems up vertically, this isn't going to be any different as it is at least as high as the Xbox One X standing vertically. Even sitting horizontal and having the fan blow out the side rather than being on top, it's at least as thick as 3 Xbox One X's sitting on top of eachother.

While that design will be great for cooling, I still hope that Sony sticks with a more traditional console look for the PS5 rather than going all PC on us. I also agree that Sony should reveal the PS5 soon.
Well, i mean atm it's still been possible as being allowed to lay horizontal but i understand your concern. I also hope Sony has a better PS5 design.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #3118
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

So for arguments sake. The PS5 V dev kit design or the Series X retail design. Which would you prefer if retail PS5 ended up looking like the dev kit.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #3119
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I have a basic TV stand with 2 levels of glass shelves. Iíd have no issues putting it horizontal under my TV. My previous entertainment rack wouldnít hold it though because itís not wide enough.

The PS5 dev kit is just that. The final unit may share some similar ventilation cosmetics but thatís about it. It could be the biggest PS system because of whatís under the hood.

If I had to guess, the PS5 will look very similar to the launch PS4. That or they might try an oval design like PS3. As long as it has proper cooling & not the ventilation aimed directly at the cables like the current models, Iíll be happy.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #3120
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

I won’t be shocked if the the final design is at least somewhat similar to the dev kit. Just give me proper ventilation so it doesn’t sound like a jet engine like my launch PS4 does.

Also when they finally have their event and reveal I need them to show actual gameplay of games not just a cutscene like Xbox did.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5