Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$18.99
4 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #1

Jan 2018
Default Need some advice on best possible picture settings on Samsung 4K tv

I have a Samsung 4K MU6290 (40 inch screen) and a Samsung UBD-M7500 4K UHD player. I didn't get around to actually checking out 4K discs til recently figured I might as well. Just wanted to get some opinions on what is the best picture mode and settings for contrast, sharpness, brightness, etc.

But for the time being let's approach this as best settings for standard blu-rays since that is what I'm watching the most.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

how about starting off telling us how you currently have it set up as far as settings go and what you think of that.

also, I believe most UHD players out of the box auto upsample to 4k unless you tell them not to, just like most 4K tv's upconvert signals to 4k unless you tell them not (if they have such a feature). so i'm wondering, why you seem to not be overly concerned with the best 4K settings over HD Blu-ray settings. is it because of what I mentioned about being able to bypass/defeat the auto-upsampling feature of the tv and player?

nothing wrong with 1080p picture quality either. this way, everybody understands where your coming from with what your asking.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Without a professional ISF calibration, you'll have to play around and adjust the settings till whatever looks best to you.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:51 AM   #4

Jan 2018

Hey no prob guys. My HDR settings are:

TV SETTINGS

Backlight: 20
Brightness: between 0-2
Contrast: 80
Sharpness: 70
Color: 73
Tint (G/R): R50
Color tone: standard

PLAYER SETTINGS:

Brightness: between 5-9
Sharpness: between 0-1
Noise reduction: 0
^^^ Picture mode is user settings

I am pretty happy with these settings but I just wanted to get some other people's preferences just to flip around and see if I can find something unexpectedly better.

Solarrdadd, yep I'm actually overall asking about 4K settings as I posted mine above but I also have not set my preferred blu settings so that's for a whole other time. Also I am new/late to the game so if my tv and/or player auto upscale with an option to turn on or off I have no idea if I've found it or not.

Last edited by chocolat; 12-15-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolat View Post
I have a Samsung 4K MU6290 (40 inch screen) and a Samsung UBD-M7500 4K UHD player. I didn't get around to actually checking out 4K discs til recently figured I might as well. Just wanted to get some opinions on what is the best picture mode and settings for contrast, sharpness, brightness, etc.

But for the time being let's approach this as best settings for standard blu-rays since that is what I'm watching the most.
I'd just flip through the picture settings and pick one that looks good to you. Pannels on a model like that will vary to much from someone to give you calibration settings, and would be money wasted to calibrate it that could be put towards an upgrade in the future.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

I have a 40 inch MU6300 for the Bedroom and these are my setting.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 20
Brightness: -2
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 40
Color: 52
Tint (G/R): R50
Color tone: Warm 1
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus Settings Off
Contrast Enhancer: Off
HDR+ Mode: Off

I bring those extra settings up because realistically, this TV can accept an HDR signal, but it can't truly display HDR. So I think you enhanced certain features to make the HDR content as bright as it looks in SDR. If you have those enhancers off, you will see how dim HDR gets on this set, that is actually the way HDR looks on these TV's.

To be honest, you will have a better experience using this TV as an SDR set and think of 4K as the benefits here. This TV doesn't have a wide color Gamut, the peak brightness is around 300 nits, that is well below what HDR need, that explains why HDR gets so dark.

They haven't used true HDR on TV's under 49 inches as far as I'm aware. Using it, you are not getting to see what HDR truly offer. It's your set and enjoy it as best as you like, but in all honesty, you will have a much better experience using SDR in this set. It truly looks great as 4K being the main feature, the results aren't like that for HDR.

Just typing this as my 40 Inch MU6300 in the bedroom had no way of truly displaying HDR, just using the enhancers and those don't come close to real HDR. Give SDR a chance and you my be surprised on how great that look.

Eitherway, enjoy your TV any way you like.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #7

Sep 2017
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolat View Post

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u6290/settings
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs