Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
7 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
7 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$17.91
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors > Projector Screens

Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Dec 2012
Default Best Screens?

I'm not shy about spending some money, but if I am buying a Carada, Stewart, or Screen Innovations screen as opposed to a Silver Ticket/Elite, I want to know I am going to notice a significant difference at 4-5 times the price.

I am looking at a 160 inch 2:35 screen.

Can anyone who chime in? Or am I better served putting the extra money into a projector. My thoughts are a screen is a one time cost but I will be upgrading projectors for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2008
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessCynic View Post
I'm not shy about spending some money, but if I am buying a Carada, Stewart, or Screen Innovations screen as opposed to a Silver Ticket/Elite, I want to know I am going to notice a significant difference at 4-5 times the price.

Can anyone who chime in? Or am I better served putting the extra money into a projector. My thoughts are a screen is a one time cost but I will be upgrading projectors for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I had the same debate not that long ago, ended up getting Silver ticket. I found a couple good reviews and it pretty much came down to the top screen names are better but nowhere near proportional to their increased price.

Maybe when I upgrade to a 4k projector ill get a better screen but for now I am extremely happy with this screen, especially for the price
Old 05-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Dec 2012

Where does everyone buy their screens?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Sep 2010

I bought mine on Amazon because it had the best price and free shipping.

In terms of brand, I am not even going to pretend I have as much knowledge about this as others. However, I originally was going to go with Elite but because if budget went with Silver Ticket based on many comments here. I am really happy with it. The picture is excellent and for a great price.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 AM   #5

Apr 2011

I got my Carada screen from craigslist for $200 and only 1 year old.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

I'm running a 120" 2.35:1 Carada Criterion with a brilliant white 1.4 gain it's amazing! I was & still am very satisfied with my purchase. I think Carada is one of the best screen companies out there for three reasons
1. The customer support I received up to & after the sale was fantastic.

2. I think they are fairly priced while others like Stewart are ridiculously overpriced.

3. Made in the U.S.A. , as someone who works in manufacturing this is important to me.

I started with an elite 100" 16:9 manual pull down there is NO comparison the color & brightness uniformity of the Carada is dead perfect. Well to my eyes anyways, the elite had a spot that was significantly brighter it was about the size of a grapefruit only noticed in all white scenes like a shot across snow etc. but once you know it's there it's like it haunts you & taunts you!

Now another screen you may want to look at is from SeymourAV http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp
A friend of mine had me install his projector & he didn't want any speakers visible. So if acoustically transparent is something you are interested in I'd check them out. I couldn't tell that it was a transparent screen as far as picture quality goes & it was pretty awesome not having speakers "in" the room makes for a more theater like look.
He chose the centerstage XD single layer. They do offer an addition black backing layer to help prevent light spill but I didn't notice any light spill as the frame was flat against the wall. You might need it if the wall isn't totally flat.
They also offer screen material for DIY if your willing to try that. They will also send you a sample of the CS XD material if you email/call them.

Last edited by victorvondoom88; 05-28-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added link to SeymourAv
Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

RuthlessCynic,

What projector are you looking at? I also looked at the screen as a 1 time expense which is a really good way to look at it. Since I bought my Carada I've upgraded my projector once so far. I really can't go any bigger in my current room. The only way I'd upgrade my screen would be if I move or put an addition onto my house & move the HT.

I mentioned that I felt that Stewart screens are overpriced, this is based on me actually seeing a "Firehawk" screen in person. Honestly I wasn't that impressed & the price tag was very high.

Oh I should mention that SeymourAV lists their screens by width first, diagonal is listed in the ().
Example= F110: 2.35 110"w (119.5"d)

Carada is having a 10% off sale right now w/ free shipping!

160" Criterion Series 2.35:1 $1109.73 (+115.69 for the Brilliant White).
Old 05-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Best screen?

Subjective, but Screen Research.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #9

Dec 2012

I purchased a Sony 40ES. I'm looking at mounts and screens right now. When I got proposals from local home theater "professionals" they included $160 for an HDMI cables and incorrect spec info so I am dubious of their qualification to accurately advise me.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Quote:
I purchased a Sony 40ES. I'm looking at mounts and screens right now. When I got proposals from local home theater "professionals" they included $160 for an HDMI cables and incorrect spec info so I am dubious of their qualification to accurately advise me.
What "incorrect spec info"?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

The best screen really depends on your needs and room environment, but Stewart is the best and used by studios in post-production work. They are best screens to minimize artifacts, sparkles, best color accuracy, and just about everything else. They are not cheap, but well worth the price.

I've got the ST100 and have been very happy with it.

Pro calibrator Jeff Meier has independently tested a wide range of screens and Stewart is often best in class.

http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:

I don't know if you have already bought a screen, but spending more money on a screen would be seem like the best bet to me. With 4K/increased colour gamut and increased brightness coming down the pike. I don't know but screens I think can be good for 20 years if not more.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Black Diamond screen innovations

Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

Jan 2008

To comment on the black Diamond screen, I am nowhere near an expert but, I've always been under the impression that those screens are really only useful if you have an abundance of ambient light. I don't have a completely light controlled room here, as my projector is in my living room until I can get around to finishing my basement. I don't have nearly the best projector or best screen either but, I have minimal issues with picture quality even in midafternoon. A simple trip to Jo-Ann fabrics to buy some blackout fabric to cover the windows is a lot cheaper than a black Diamond screen. My biggest issue outside of the capabilities of my projector is wall reflection. Someone please chime in to correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #15

Jun 2017
Default Best Screens?

Elite Screens is a California based one of the well-liked names in Projector screen manufacturer with worldwide. It provides the latest and high-quality products include: Portable projection screens, Home Cinema Projector Screen, Motorized Projector Screen, and Dry Erase Whiteboard Projector Screen at an affordable rate to our valuable customer.

For more details Click Here
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors > Projector Screens