Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Doom: Slayers Collection (Xbox One)
$18.00

NASCAR Heat 4 (Xbox One)
$19.99

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
$19.99

Journey to the Savage Planet (Xbox One)
$19.99

Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II (Xbox One)
$19.99

Dead by Daylight (Xbox One)
$19.99

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Xbox One)
$19.99

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (Xbox One)
$36.24

Blacksad: Under the Skin (Xbox One)
$19.99

Farming Simulator 19 (Xbox One)
$29.99

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox One)
$39.99

FIFA 20 (Xbox One)
$25.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox

Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #1

Mar 2017
Cool An HD DVD app on Xbox One? Other 12 cm disc formats?

How much of a difference is there between an HD DVD and a Blu Ray. Apparently LG made a "red-and-blue" movie player.

I cam assume the laser diameter and wavelength and disc spin rate, and other factors can be adjusted on software to play Xbox One discs, Xbox 360 discs Xbox Prime discs, CDs, DVD, Blu Rays. 3D Blu Rays, and (on S models and X models) 4K discs. If they are discrete lasers then never mind.

But if it has an adjustable laser player which can change many factors of the laser, then why not have an app called "Red Player" which plays HD DVDs There's no way I'm going through the hassle of setting up the 360, PLUS HD DVD disc drive just to play them, if a $10 app saves me from buying up to 21 movies I have in HD DVD that I don't have in Blu Ray..

There are other possibilities, like VCDs There were 2 things I recorded form 2001-2003 when my Mac can only bun CDs until i got a VCR-style DVD_R recorded. During that time there were 3 shows I actually saved from VCD and didn't want to go back and recapture it later on DVD. The first was the first episode of a TV show I don't see on DVD shelves, Time Tunnel. The second was "Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal", which was a documentary about one of the most notorious "legal cheating" moments in game show history, and, at that time, the biggest payoff on a 'regular episode' (meaning not a tournament of champions or something like that) of a broadcast TV game show. And the third is my friend's victorious run on "Life ot the Power of X." I made sure the first thing I did was transfer Life once i had a DVD recorder. That's too valuable. The only reason I saved it was because I was following my friend, so I gave Zophar321 another copy of disc and he post it on You Tube. I got one of the prize Original Xboxes he won to distribute to friends for taping the show and giving him a disc, editing his tryout video, and being a good friend in both giving and receiving all the way.

So VCD player would be nice.

Also CD+Gs play... sort of. The audio plays fine, but there's no way to get the graphics track unless I hook up my Sega CD, Saturn, MAYBE a PS1 and MAYBE a 3DO. Why does music player not play the graphics on the CDG buyt instead plays the Gracenote ID info? If it's a CD +G. I want the graphics. Information Society and Jimmi Hendrix had the 2 best CD+Gs but a lot of karaoke discs are also CD+G.

Now that Sega enthusiasts made the Dreamcast Network come back alive, maybe Sega can sell Dreamcast games on the Xbox Shop and even have a GD ROM player+ DC emulator, so Xbox can play the Dreamcast games online, whether bought as an online ROM, or as a physical disc, because there are Broadband-to-Dial up converters, like DreamPi. And all these games run on dial up.

Fialy, any semi-universal formats that the Xbox One does not play cxurreently that you want played?

(...that will fit in a small enough footprint, so Laser Disc is out, unless Xbox decides to release Terrordiscs, a 1TB game-disc that fits on a LD-sized disc (30 cm in diameter) but uses modern compression and layering to achieve 1 TB in size)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

You wonít see an app nor 12cm disc appear for any playback regarding HD DVD.

These suggestions you raise would actually be reverting technology, not advancing forward.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #3

Mar 2017

I just thought that if it werre as simple as a software solution, kind of like how one laser is able to read multiple music (CD, MP3CD), movie (DVD, Blu Ray, 3D Blu Ray, 4k disc) and game (Xbox Prime, Xbox 360, and Xbox One), and it's all single pieces of adjustable equipment that's put in a certain mode by software, then the only thing stopping players from being a uni-player is physical incompatibility ( VHS ,Beta, Selectavision, Records, cassettes, and game cartridges) and lawyers. (other proprietary 12cm formats)

I literaslly bought HD DVD in 2009 when there was a 360 player sale at a used game store, and one really good movie we wanted was STILL HD ONLY I never seen the Blu copy until real late. I think it was the last on-home-premier (meaning it's a classic worth preserving) title that went from Red to Blue. and picked up $$1 HD DVD sales of movies worth getting temporarily.

Those discs are still watsing away. If it were as simple as a $10 CXbx One diownload to turn red, as opposed to $10 each to find a blu copy then it's be wort it. Of those 21 movies about 5 titles would be worthing turning blue.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Itís a Licence issue. Could also be a Company issue being Toshiba. Microsoft only handled VC-1 encoding.

There isnít anything hardware wise limiting playback of HD DVD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox