Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sergio Leone Westerns (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Parasite (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Spookies (Blu-ray)
$23.49

Ip Man 4: The Finale 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$29.39

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Cannibal Apocalypse (Blu-ray)
$19.89

It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Verotika (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$19.96
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #921
Expert Member

Aug 2013

I have checked all those time codes. No difference between the BD and the DVD. The only thing I noticed is a strange kind of a sound effects on BD at 15:27. Everything's fine except that scene.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #922
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Interesting... It almost sounds like zombi3 just has a defective disc, except then why would it happen consistently on cuts?

Quote:
the BU BD says it is 99 minutes long, where as the AB DVD says its 103 minutes long.
Just loaded up my DVD and while the box does indeed say 103 on it, the length of the movie on the disc itself is 1:40:38, so more like 100.5.

Quote:
The only thing I noticed is a strange kind of a sound effects on BD at 15:27.
Is that when they cut from the SWAT guys to the TV? There is a little sound on the DVD there, too. I think that might be intentionally part of the film.

Anyway, I've just watched the whole SWAT siege with the DotD music, and it plays smoothly throughout. Again, I'm talking about the DVD not the blu, though.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #923
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
Interesting... It almost sounds like zombi3 just has a defective disc, except then why would it happen consistently on cuts?

Just loaded up my DVD and while the box does indeed say 103 on it, the length of the movie on the disc itself is 1:40:38, so more like 100.5.

Is that when they cut from the SWAT guys to the TV? There is a little sound on the DVD there, too. I think that might be intentionally part of the film.

Anyway, I've just watched the whole SWAT siege with the DotD music, and it plays smoothly throughout. Again, I'm talking about the DVD not the blu, though.
It's the scene where they cut from the SWAT commander to the terrorist walking on the stairs. Yeah, I am beginning to think that zombi3 has a defective disc.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #924
Expert Member

Aug 2013

OK, I've uploaded the first 16 minutes of HOTLD DVD and BD. Check them out:

BD:

DVD:

Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #925

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadeva View Post
OK, I've uploaded the first 16 minutes of HOTLD DVD and BD. Check them out:
Thanks for taking the time to upload. Took a look and yes, the Blu absolutely has the issue with the jumps while it is absent on the DVD. If you listen closely at the time markers I posted earlier you should hear it. Some parts are more noticeble than others but something definitely isn't right.

I watched it straight through last night too and this occurs throughout the entire film.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #926
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to upload. Took a look and yes, the Blu absolutely has the issue with the jumps while it is absent on the DVD. If you listen closely at the time markers I posted earlier you should hear it. Some parts are more noticeble than others but something definitely isn't right.

I watched it straight through last night too and this occurs throughout the entire film.
Call me deaf but I really don't hear those issues. Guess I'll contact blue underground asking about it.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #927

Feb 2013

Also, if you play both videos simultaneously the DVD gradually starts to fall behind the blu-ray which means either the blu-ray has a faster frame rate or it has some bits missing. Look at the shot at the 16 minute mark on both uploaded videos and the DVD is about 15 seconds behind the blu-ray.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #928
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
Also, if you play both videos simultaneously the DVD gradually starts to fall behind the blu-ray which means either the blu-ray has a faster frame rate or it has some bits missing. Look at the shot at the 16 minute mark on both uploaded videos and the DVD is about 15 seconds behind the blu-ray.
That's perfectly normal because the DVD is NTSC 29 fps and and the BD is 23.976 fps.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #929

Aug 2014

Been browsing the site for years but this is my first post on here, so go easy fellas! Watched this yesterday on my projector and also noticed the soundtrack sounded, how shall I put this, odd, especially during the SWAT team invasion scene. It's sounds like the same few notes from Goblin are repeated whenever there's an edit but not all of the time. Just doesn't sound smooth and continuous like the DVD. Mahadeva, you can clearly hear this on your Blu upload compared with the DVD one. Minor quibble I suppose, but I did notice this yesterday.

Browsing this site today and seeing this thread made me join up and reply to this post. I'm with zombi3 on this one. Somethings not quite right with the soundtrack. And on another topic, where the hell was the grain for this utterly brilliant film?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #930
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Wow: thanks for taking the trouble to do the uploads. Unfortunately, that settles it. The new blu is jumping awfully. I don't think the run time discrepancy is a frame rate thing. This looks like the same thing that happened to Shriek Show's Burial Ground, with frames being removed at the cuts.

If you're not catching it, don't listen for gaps in the music, listen for whole notes and bars being dropped; the rhythm is all off. It really spoils that Goblin DotD theme. This is damn disappointing.

Maha, please let us know if BU gets back to you about this.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #931
Expert Member

Aug 2013

You guys are absolutely right. I was checking the disc with my PC BD drive and I think I wasn't able to hear the issues because of my crappy speakers. Just checked played HOTLD using my home theater system and everything was clear. I have contacted Blue Underground. I believe I'll get "we used the transfer which had been given to us" answer.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #932

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadeva View Post
I believe I'll get "we used the transfer which had been given to us" answer.
If that's the case then I would question BU's claim that it was transferred from the original negative.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #933
Expert Member

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake
-
-
-

I received mine on release day but haven't got around to opening it yet. Was planning on watching it tonight....do you guys suggest holding off until more information is released or watching it as is?

BTW mine arrived with the disc loose within the case as well. Maybe the discs weren't firmly seated during production.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 AM   #934
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorhees View Post
I received mine on release day but haven't got around to opening it yet. Was planning on watching it tonight....do you guys suggest holding off until more information is released or watching it as is?
Well, I'm guessing BU's response will be "take it or leave it," not "oh my gosh, please bear with us while we fix this." And to be fair, from what I've been reading about similar issues with other titles, the problem(s) come from the Italian company creating and issuing these scans, not our DVD companies. I mean, it would be great if they took the trouble to deal with them and correct this, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #935

Apr 2014
Tulsa, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
Well, I'm guessing BU's response will be "take it or leave it," not "oh my gosh, please bear with us while we fix this." And to be fair, from what I've been reading about similar issues with other titles, the problem(s) come from the Italian company creating and issuing these scans, not our DVD companies. I mean, it would be great if they took the trouble to deal with them and correct this, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
regardless of which, this is by far the best i have ever seen this film, and despite the couple few audio loop jump edits, i am still completely satisfied with this purchase!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #936
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Checked my blu and I did hear that the alarm sound from scene to scene sounded off, not really a big deal IMO. I didn't hear anything like this with the music.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #937
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

In case you guy's don't now.

Amazon has Blue Underground titles on sale starting from $9.49
Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #938
Special Member

Jan 2012
Montana

Bah, was hoping any of this year's releases were on sale too
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #939
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthefrank View Post
Bah, was hoping any of this year's releases were on sale too
LOL

You'll have to wait for next year for those.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #940
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barlow View Post
Watched this yesterday on my projector and also noticed the soundtrack sounded, how shall I put this, odd, especially during the SWAT team invasion scene. It's sounds like the same few notes from Goblin are repeated whenever there's an edit but not all of the time.
I noticed this at least two or three times and figured it was just poor editing on the original film. There are definitely sections where whole notes are not played out and there's a skipping effect. Bummer if a technical mishap has shown its face.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors