Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Borderlands 3 (Xbox One)
$41.93

Doom: Slayers Collection (Xbox One)
$18.00

NASCAR Heat 4 (Xbox One)
$19.99

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
$19.99

Journey to the Savage Planet (Xbox One)
$19.99

Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II (Xbox One)
$19.99

Dead by Daylight (Xbox One)
$19.99

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Xbox One)
$19.99

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (Xbox One)
$36.24

Blacksad: Under the Skin (Xbox One)
$19.99

Farming Simulator 19 (Xbox One)
$29.99

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox One)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox

Old 08-01-2019, 04:04 AM   #1

Mar 2017
Cool Dolby Atmos Headphone app: a universal headpohone solution?

I was waiting for Turtle beach to release either a headphone or a processor that can use HDMI input and converts Dolby Atmos , DTS:X and LPCM 7.1 inputs into Headphone outputs. Instead I get software-based Headphone sound, which Im not sure if it works as well as my Turtle Beach X42 and X41.

Now Turtle Beach just sells Stereo Headphones. In Wal Mart today, I don't see the word "surround" anywhere on their headphones. Now they are all 3.5 mm headphones that require an headphone surround signal post-encoded in order to get surround sound headphones.

As for Dolby Atmops Headphone, which I purchased on sale for $12, (normally 15)

First the good: Blu Ryas encoded in Dolby Atmos sound extermely good in Dolby Atmos Headphone mode.

Now the bad: first too many movies, especially since 3D copies usually use DTS 7.1 instead of Dolby anything, let alone Atmos. Great, you now have to choose between 3D vision and 2D sound, or vice versa

The other bad thing is that a lot of non-Atmos stuff does not sound convincing using the Dolby Atmos Headphone app. DTS doesn't sound right. Lower Dolbys like 5.1 and 7.1 don't either. They sound directionally unconvincing. I'm not even sre if Apocalypto, a disc recorded in LPCm 5.1 will sound right in Atmos. They won't work on my Turtle Beach because the sound comes from the Toslink, and Toslink can only do at most 2.0 LPCM.

Anyone else find the direcitonalism of Dolby Atmos Headphone non-convincing when a non-Atmos movie is made?

I like te Turtle Beach x41 and x42 efect. Unfortunately that only accepts Dobly via Toslink. I'd like to see an HDMI as well as Toslink input one that dan convert all 3 formats Dolby (Pro Logic to Atmos) DTS (5.1 to X) and LPCM (5.12 to 7.1) into a headphone format. i don't care whether the output is Dolby Headphones, or DTS Headphones, or even Nintendo's proprietary headphone standard> Just don't use Sony's converter to headphone surround. They are the least convincing surround headphone sound.

And Turtle beach mixes it so it emphasizes direction and distance, so you can track a sniper behind you, turn and shoot based on gunfire.sounds. I don't want a mix with trebles and basses emphasized. The reason why you buy surround and not a mono speaker is 3D direction.

The last reason I want a DTS input with Toslink is that if I ever find a DTS laser disc, it will actually be fully used. I've unlocked Dolby AC3 discs. DTS doesn't need a special un-locker.

Anyone agree that Xbox's and Playstaiotns DTS-> dolby converters are better than Dolby's DTS-> Atmos software-based Headphone converter? And it's really a pain in the neck to turn Dolby headphone on and off. In games and Dolby Atmos Movies I want Atmos app, and in all others the native Xbox all-to-Dolby converter. Unfortunately, we must option toggle.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

1. Turn off all headphone enhancements on the Turtle Beach.

2. Turn on the use HDMI/Optical on the headphone section of Audio Output.

Dolby Atmos for Headphones will work better and this is designed for all headphones. Not just enhanced ones.
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (08-01-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Mar 2017

Yes I am aware there are 2 toslink modes and 2 nanlaog pro logic modes.

The X42 has a Pro Logic setting and a Headphone setting, so I am aware.

I know what these mean in analog mode: Pro logic activates the DPL decoders and dobly headphones leaves the sound alone, ad is used for already headphone-encoded sound, like Nintendo Switch and Wii U, and uncoded LPCM 2.0

If I turn on a different system, iike my PS3, it shows: Dolby digital and headphone mode and pro logic is unselectable, Dolby Digital converts 5.1 to headphone mode, and headphone settying is the same as analog, either uncoded straight stereo or already headphone encoded.

If headphones is being piped i via TOlsink and/or HDM it's a 2-track headphone encoded recording, So puttting it in Dobl y SDIgitla will doiiuble encode it.

But seriously, how well does the Folby Atmos headphnes work for DTS, LPCM 5.1+, and lower Dolbys?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I like that my 4 year old Sennheiser’s HDR 185’s can take full advantage of Dolby Atmos provided the source is decoded first.
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (08-15-2019)
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic on Xbox One have always sounded like tinny garbage through my Elite 800xs. I never use it. I do wish that I could use the bitstream DTS option though. Dolby Digital causes extremely annoying audio delay that for some reason I never really noticed until recently. Stereo Uncompressed and DTS don't have this problem. Do you have this issue with your Turtle Beaches?

Also, I've never been able to get the Elite 800xs to work properly with the PS3. It seems impossible to get the DTS surround sound working with them. I only got stereo, no matter what I did. So I just gave up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox