Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Midway (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Doctor Sleep (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dragon Ball Super: Part 10 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.69

Abominable (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Good Liar (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Downton Abbey (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Books/eBooks

Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
Banned

Oct 2012

Last edited by Jett Rink; 10-23-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Do you purge books and what are your criteria? I purged about 100 more books and it feels so good to get rid of stuff that was an impulse buy, and that will probably never be read.
I have in the past; I sometimes go through my books & CD's, and if it's something I haven't read/heard in a while (and have no interest in revisiting), I'll donate it to my local library.

These days, I rarely buy new books anyway - I get most of them from the library (if they're available there).
Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

My criteria: read them!

I never really viewed books as a thing to keep--not on the same level as movies and CDs, which I revisit constantly. I rarely reread books, so most novels I own are ones I bought (usually cheap ones from libraries, used book stores, etc) that are just waiting to be read. I usually donate or sell them off when I'm done.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't approach it that way. Makes books seem disposable.

I do keep favorite, good, or classic books that I know I'll want to draw inspiration from. And I do keep non-fiction, humor, art, and travel books I might crack open sporadically and find useful. And I might be more interested in keeping short story compilations than full-length novels.

I thought about purging the unread books that don't particularly thrill me, but then I told myself nah, I should just suck it up and read the whole lot of them before tossing them. There might be some awesome gems waiting to be discovered there.

What I do plan to do is purge my movie and CD collections. Maybe some CD-ROM games too. But that's a story for another time.

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 09-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2011
The windy burbs

My criterion for books is the same one I apply for movies/cds/games: is it something I'd enjoy revisiting? If yes, I usually buy intending to keep. That said, my time is limited these days, so I try to buy only titles that I'm really interested in.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Paperbacks are definitely disposable - they get dog-eared/bent, and they're probably not worth much as a result. I typically donate my unwanted PB's to the local library (if they want them). You're not going to get much - if any - $ for them if you try to sell them, that's for sure.

That being said, I do keep some Hardcovers - they're good collectibles (in some cases), and the paper they're printed on is always superior to the paper in PB's.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

Aug 2012
NJ

Like most, I "purge" all my media once in a while. (I like "prune" a little better, lol)

I'm an ebayer (buyer as well as seller) so I'm always seeing what is fetching $$$. If it is something I can easily get again in the future (like an eventual blu-ray or cd re-release) I'll sell if it is fetching a premium.

For my books, I pretty much only have 1st editions or really early editions, which it comes to my fiction. But even there, I had at one point bought so many that I never read them and it was just ridiculous. Over the last few years I've sold off a good bit, taking time in work during lunch to read. What makes me a little sad is that many books I thought I'd love (say, since I loved their films, like a Ninth Gate, etc) I ended up not liking the novels and sold them off...even though they were really nice collectible editions.

But I came to the realization a while ago that I only have finite space, so my collections must always fit in my home nicely. Selling off is a must.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2017
City of Angels

Donate to the library or Goodwill. Books, DVDs, blus, whatever media. 95% of them are after I read or watch. They're obviously the stuff that I don't want; gotta save space.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

At work there's an area in the rec room where we trade or drop off books. I drop off two at the end of almost every rotation in. It's somewhat gratifying to see that the ones I've left the previous month, aren't there anymore.
Thanks given by:
TheBluRayBandito (08-14-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2012
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
Like most, I "purge" all my media once in a while. (I like "prune" a little better, lol)

I'm an ebayer (buyer as well as seller) so I'm always seeing what is fetching $$$. If it is something I can easily get again in the future (like an eventual blu-ray or cd re-release) I'll sell if it is fetching a premium.

For my books, I pretty much only have 1st editions or really early editions, which it comes to my fiction. But even there, I had at one point bought so many that I never read them and it was just ridiculous. Over the last few years I've sold off a good bit, taking time in work during lunch to read. What makes me a little sad is that many books I thought I'd love (say, since I loved their films, like a Ninth Gate, etc) I ended up not liking the novels and sold them off...even though they were really nice collectible editions.

But I came to the realization a while ago that I only have finite space, so my collections must always fit in my home nicely. Selling off is a must.
I'm the same way. Anytime something I own rises in value I look at what net profit I can make and then ask myself if I would at that moment in time pay that value for the item. The answer is almost always no. Then it gets sold.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #10

Nov 2019
Ireland

You could burn them in a huge bonfire Nazi style. Just keep it to yourself. It's a bit out there. Funny looks from the neighbours and all that jazz.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Books/eBooks