Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Grand Theft Auto V (PS5)
$19.99

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (PS5)
$44.99
1 day ago
Ghostwire: Tokyo (PS5)
$39.99

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5)
$39.99
23 hrs ago
Elden Ring (PS5)
$49.94

Madden NFL 22 (PS5)
$24.99

Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! (PS5)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
WWE 2K22 (PS5)
$54.99

Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Contracts 2 (PS5)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach (PS5)
$34.29

Monark (PS5)
$38.25

Kena (PS5)
$39.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 05-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #1341

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I'm only getting SDR as evidently the Paramount+ app has been busted on Roku
How come you're not using the apps on the TV?

I use
Paramount+ which uses HDR
Disney+ uses Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos
The CW uses HDR and its free.

Also, download the Dolby app, it has demo's using Dolby Vision & Dolby atmos.

There are a lot more, but those are just a few example.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:23 PM   #1342
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpacman View Post
How come you're not using the apps on the TV?

I use
Paramount+ which uses HDR
Disney+ uses Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos
The CW uses HDR and its free.

Also, download the Dolby app, it has demo's using Dolby Vision & Dolby atmos.

There are a lot more, but those are just a few example.
Because I refuse to use ARC or connect an optical cable to my preamp. Plus I'm not bothered enough about missing out on a DV program to care.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:25 AM   #1343
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

For anyone in the thread who has an OLED and a quality audio setup, I highly recommend investing into 4K/UHD physical media. A good setup deserves the best possible presentation.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:43 AM   #1344
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
For anyone in the thread who has an OLED and a quality audio setup, I highly recommend investing into 4K/UHD physical media. A good setup deserves the best possible presentation.
I've always been more into audio, which is why I still prefer and buy hard media. I remember when blu-ray first hit the scene, I used to say that if DVD movies also had uncompressed multi-channel audio I would buy them over blu-ray.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #1345
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Nah that wasn't what I was saying. I've just been spending all my time on H2, and DV wasn't working correctly cause of the Roku thing I mentioned, which I didn't fix until the other night. I'd otherwise been looking forward all week to watching something in DV, and last night the wife picked The Lost City, which is on Paramount+. I'm thinking perfect, I have a subscription and it's in DV. But no, I'm only getting SDR as evidently the Paramount+ app has been busted on Roku for months.

If I could ever put down Horizon 2, maybe I'll actually watch something in DV. I picked up a UHD player last week that has DV support, and I still haven't installed it. Almost all my free time has been on Horizon 2 and a few shows that are only in HD/SDR.
In that case, (HDR/SDR) I’d be happy. In fact I wouldn’t wanna watch anything in DV without the LG Service Remote handy.

It’s not 99% of the time ASBL kicks in because it is dependent on detecting low light scenes. Others here claim they have seen it on HDR/SDR content. In my personal experience, only Dolby Vision Triggers ASBL & only if the film/show has prolonged dark scenes with minimal panning camera shots.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:27 AM   #1346
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Started this finally.
Only an hour in
Thanks given by:
emailking (05-19-2022), red_5ive (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #1347
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
In that case, (HDR/SDR) I’d be happy. In fact I wouldn’t wanna watch anything in DV without the LG Service Remote handy.

It’s not 99% of the time ASBL kicks in because it is dependent on detecting low light scenes. Others here claim they have seen it on HDR/SDR content. In my personal experience, only Dolby Vision Triggers ASBL & only if the film/show has prolonged dark scenes with minimal panning camera shots.
I'm not that hard up for DV anyway. As I mentioned, I've always been more of an audio guy, and when it comes to video I'm not the kind of person that can pick up the fine details & differences between formats. The C1 looks excellent as it is with everything I feed it, and Horizon 2 is just knock-your-socks off awesome. I watched the 4k UHD disc of Doctor Strange in HDR10 and it looked insanely awesome to me. But I'm sure someone else would be able to tell me that I'm wrong with how I feel about video. More power to them. I'm more invested in audio.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #1348
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

The difference between Dolby Vision and standard HDR10 is less noticeable on a quality display. It was a night and day difference on my old 2016 OLEDB6 but the tone-mapping wasn’t great on those displays. As tone-mapping has improved on newer displays (especially with the development of dynamic tone-mapping) I’ve been more and more content if a release just has HDR10. Dolby Vision is more like icing on the cake, though I find it is most welcome on releases of old catalog titles that were shot on film and are heavy on grain. Dolby Vision has a way of covering up poor compression on a badly encoded release.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:08 PM   #1349
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
Summerlin, NV.
USA

Got the Platinum for this a couple of evenings ago. Overall I really enjoyed this game just like I did the 1st one. The melee in this one can be a wonky with the combo timing but that maybe my only compliant. I enjoyed all of the different areas of the map but Vegas at night was really special. Looking forward to some DLC if it comes & it will be interesting to see how they finish out Aloy's story in the next installment.
Thanks given by:
emailking (05-19-2022), red_5ive (05-17-2022), Zivouhr (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 04:47 AM   #1350
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
Got the Platinum for this a couple of evenings ago. Overall I really enjoyed this game just like I did the 1st one. The melee in this one can be a wonky with the combo timing but that maybe my only compliant. I enjoyed all of the different areas of the map but Vegas at night was really special. Looking forward to some DLC if it comes & it will be interesting to see how they finish out Aloy's story in the next installment.
Vegas was a cool moment, especially in full 4K resolution at night with the
[Show spoiler] finely detailed, thin neon lines of what the buildings once were. And the underwater/then dry interior was cool to explore too, and revisit. Epic landscape, and plenty to see and do on foot, horseback or in the air.
Thanks given by:
emailking (05-19-2022), Omegaice (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 04:51 AM   #1351
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post

I'm going for the Platinum now as well. I stopped trying for Platinums a while ago, but after wrapping up all the side stuff that interested me, I noticed I was at 84% completion. So I figured why not, I need a reason to keep playing since I love this game so much.

I was otherwise feeling like this guy at the thought of wrapping up this game soon.
[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
emailking (05-19-2022), Omegaice (05-17-2022), Zivouhr (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #1352
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
The difference between Dolby Vision and standard HDR10 is less noticeable on a quality display. It was a night and day difference on my old 2016 OLEDB6 but the tone-mapping wasn’t great on those displays. As tone-mapping has improved on newer displays (especially with the development of dynamic tone-mapping) I’ve been more and more content if a release just has HDR10. Dolby Vision is more like icing on the cake, though I find it is most welcome on releases of old catalog titles that were shot on film and are heavy on grain. Dolby Vision has a way of covering up poor compression on a badly encoded release.
I prefer DV for films/shows. Color is more accurate in general. HDR though has more “pop” to speculuar highlights.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:32 PM   #1353
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
The game looks stunning on my OLED. That said, I think I'm putting my copy on ebay. I've spent the past month trying to get into it but it's just not happening for me.
Have you tried only focusing on the main quests and not worrying about all the side stuff? it will go a lot faster that way. There's a ton of side stuff you can get bogged down in, and it did feel like a chore sometimes.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #1354
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Have you tried only focusing on the main quests and not worrying about all the side stuff? it will go a lot faster that way. There's a ton of side stuff you can get bogged down in, and it did feel like a chore sometimes.
Yeah, that was my plan with the game but even the main quest just didn't hook me. I think I'll give it another chance when it comes to PC. I'm not sure if I can play more of these Ubisoft-template style open world games but I do seem to enjoy them more on PC where I can play them on an ultrawide display.
Thanks given by:
emailking (05-20-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:24 PM   #1355
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

Did this today…

Thanks given by:
Diesel (05-21-2022)
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #1356
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Yeah, that was my plan with the game but even the main quest just didn't hook me. I think I'll give it another chance when it comes to PC. I'm not sure if I can play more of these Ubisoft-template style open world games but I do seem to enjoy them more on PC where I can play them on an ultrawide display.
Yep, I have a 49" 32:9 super-ultrawide. Open world games on PC are awesome at that rez, and 144Hz to boot. I re-played Horizon: Zero Dawn on it, and also the DLC. 16:9 didn't compare. Mouse/KB also made it 10 times easier taking on multiple machines, and taking instant precision shots with arrows. I just don't care for aim-assist with a controller.

However, I'm too big of a Horizon fan to not play Forbidden West. It looks beautiful on OLED, but I'll pick it up for sure for a replay if it gets a PC release.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5