Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
2 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
17 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50
3 hrs ago
Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Strangers: Prey at Night (Blu-ray)
$12.99
16 hrs ago
The Grifters (Blu-ray)
$5.96

Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #41

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
We don't know that the Philips and Magnavox use the same chipset. There are several differences between the two machines. But as Ron pointed out earlier, the Philips machine could be a philips design, but manufactured by Funai. We'll find out eventually I hope.
It had been reported by multiple sources, such as THIS ONE, that Funai is using the Panasonic UniPhier chipset (the same as REPORTED HERE to be used in the Philips BDP7200 and as first introduced by Panasonic in their BD30). Most of these reports go back to reports published by Nikkei Business Publications (a Japanese trade journal). Here is an excerpt from one of their ON-LINE ARTICLES:

"Funai's Blu-ray player features Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd's 45nm-process UniPhier LSI and Sony Corp's optical head for Blu-ray. It shows a glimpse of the Blu-ray group's ulterior motive for competing with Toshiba's price reduction strategy by lowering pricing for Blu-ray Disc players from products of Funai, which is well-known for the development of low-price products. "

Ron Jones

Last edited by ronjones; 05-16-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #42

Apr 2008
Near Boise Idaho

Thanks Ron, good to read that. It's nice to see it in print.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Seal Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister184 View Post
yes b/c HDMI will be the only way to get HD audio, no b/c this player doesnt have any true-hd or DTS:MA decoding. It will bitstream both forms of audio for the receiver to decode.
I seriously doubt anyone buying this substandard machine is worried about
uncompressed audio, since receivers that internally decode it cost more
than one that will except the signal already decoded....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #44

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

It has has now been confirmed by a member on the AVS forum that his new Magnavox NB500 BD Player when connected via HDMI to his Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR does bit stream both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA. --- Good News

Last edited by ronjones; 05-16-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #45

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith View Post
I seriously doubt anyone buying this substandard machine is worried about
uncompressed audio, since receivers that internally decode it cost more
than one that will except the signal already decoded....
There is really no reason to believe these Funai BD players are substandard as compared to the $400 models from the likes of Samsung or even Sony and Sharp. They are stripped down somewhat feature-wise compared to some other manufacturers models but as far as their build quality and performance they may very well be on a par with these other brands.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #46

Apr 2008
Near Boise Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjones View Post
There is really no reason to believe these Funai BD players are substandard as compared to the $400 models from the likes of Samsung or even Sony and Sharp. They are stripped down somewhat feature-wise compared to some other manufacturers models but as far as their build quality and performance they may very well be on a par with these other brands.
Ron is dead on. These players contain panasonic and sony components for heaven sakes.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #47

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Default Insignia Players

Best Buy stores are now starting to receive their initial supply of the Funai OEM'ed Insignia BD players. It's not yet listed on their web site. It looks similar to the Magnavox and Sylvania NB500 players.

Last edited by ronjones; 05-16-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #48

Apr 2008
Near Boise Idaho

Quote:
Best Buy stores are now starting to receive their initial supply of the Funai OEM'ed Insignia BD players. It's not yet listed on their web site. It looks similar to the Magnavox and Sylvania NB500 players.
Hey Ron, I read an impression of the Insignia player from a BB employee who tested one out. He said that the audio bitstreams hi res audio with the default settings and that the upconversion looked a bit better than the other BD players he has tried out. For whatever it's worth, initially sounds like a good player.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

I checked my Walmart for this but nothing yet in NS, Canada.

Anyone see it in Canada yet?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #50

Dec 2006

Quote:
My local walmart (Spring Hill, Florida) has 3 of the Magnavox (Funai) players in a cabinet with the $398.00 Sony players. The Sonys have a price tag on display, the Magnavox players don't.

Hmmm...wonder why that is. When I asked the sales person how much the Magnavox players cost, (I already know they go for $298.00) he was clueless.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #51

Apr 2008

HI,

Well, I guess I'm the test person here..My boss got me a Magnavox for my birthday a few weeks early..said she was afriad they'd be gone by then..

I love it..I'm still learning all the features but so far so good...LOL

One thing it has that I love is it has resume play..no more chapter searching ...no, it's not as fancy as the others but for me it serves the purpose..and the picture quality & audio are great..at least for me. ( she who is challenged..)

bree
Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
HI,

Well, I guess I'm the test person here..My boss got me a Magnavox for my birthday a few weeks early..said she was afriad they'd be gone by then..

I love it..I'm still learning all the features but so far so good...LOL

One thing it has that I love is it has resume play..no more chapter searching ...no, it's not as fancy as the others but for me it serves the purpose..and the picture quality & audio are great..at least for me. ( she who is challenged..)

bree
It's probably a decent player. I would get one as a second player I think... but holding out for JVC to get one out. I think theirs will be cheaper and reliable.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #53

Nov 2007
Olive Branch, MS.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Definately not very pleasing to the eye...
The box or the player?

Last edited by rragland; 05-19-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #54

Apr 2008

Like I warned you all when I first joined here...I don't know very much and I'm still learning...A lot I don't understand and will be the first to admit it...I'd love to get a better one but right now I'm happy with what I've got...
Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Anyone see these at Walmart in Canada yet?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #56

May 2007
Chicago suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
...One thing it has that I love is it has resume play..no more chapter searching ...
Once you try a BD-J encoded BD (like Pirates of the Carribean) you will find that it doesn't have resume play on all BD's. BD-J discs are authored in such a way that you are not able to resume where you left off. It is a hassle but the film marketing gurus seem to believe that forcing you to re-watch the trailers at the start of the disc will actually cause more sales. I believe some recent BD-J discs are providing a bookmark option that allows you to mark your place and resume there after restarting. Hope this practice becomes standard on BD-J's.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #57

Apr 2008

OK..so if I made a mistake..sorry..but then when it's a gift I don't ask questions.

I merely say thank you.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc666 View Post
I checked my Walmart for this but nothing yet in NS, Canada.

Anyone see it in Canada yet?
So good news on this front. I was just in the local Walmart (here in Ontario) and they were re-doing the shelving in the electronics dept. There is a shelf plan in the new DVD player section showing what it will look like when they are done. It shows the Magnavox 1080p Blu-ray player on the top shelf and says it is coming in June. It didn't have a price and I didn't see a spot for the Samsung 1500 but I forgot to look for it.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
So good news on this front. I was just in the local Walmart (here in Ontario) and they were re-doing the shelving in the electronics dept. There is a shelf plan in the new DVD player section showing what it will look like when they are done. It shows the Magnavox 1080p Blu-ray player on the top shelf and says it is coming in June. It didn't have a price and I didn't see a spot for the Samsung 1500 but I forgot to look for it.
Right on. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #60

Apr 2008
Default SD Memory Cards

OK...very DUMB question..Warned you i didn't know much..but what is a SD Memory Card ? My player has a place for one but I have no idea what it means...

thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders