Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
1 day ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

Half Brothers (DVD)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 04-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Aug 2014
Sydney, Australia
Default The Colbys: The Complete Series!

It was announced that The Colbys: The Complete Series is going to be released next month for the first time on DVD by Shout! Factory.

Quote:
The Glamour. The Romance. The Intrigue. The Colbys.

Experience the drama, splendor, and machinations of the rich and powerful in the prime-time soap opera The Colbys, served to you in a complete series collection from Shout! Factory.

A spin-off from the television phenomenon, Dynasty, The Colbys explores the lives and loves of a fabulously wealthy California family as they confront challenges from both outsiders and within their own lineage. To maintain power and control over their empire, The Colbys will stop at nothing… and you will love them for every juicy scheme and shocking betrayal they enact.

Featuring an all-star cast (including Charlton Heston, Stephanie Beacham, John James, Katharine Ross, Emma Samms, Maxwell Caulfield, Tracy Scoggins, Ricardo Montalban, and Barbara Stanwyck) that shines as brightly as the opulent lifestyles on display, The Colbys is a glittering saga of the power and passion that drove the dreams of the '80s.

Shout! Factory has devoted itself to the higher pursuit of pop culture for the past 10 years. During that time, we've released some of TV's most beloved gems, such as Freaks And Geeks, My So-Called Life, Sports Night, MadTV and Mystery Science Theater. We've also reintroduced some of television's most adored personalities with collections featuring Dick Cavett, Tom Snyder, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Mel Brooks, Groucho Marx and Elvira, Mistress of the Night.
Thanks given by:
UnionJackMix (02-22-2021)
Old 11-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Found out recently that both seasons of The Colbys were released on DVD in Germany back in July and August respectively. The Amazon Germany listing pages for both sets state there is English audio, but are the show's titles in English, and how does the transfer compare to the Shout! Factory DVD release?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Germany

Decided to get the German DVD release of the first season of The Colbys. Glad there is a slipcover like with the UK DVD releases of Dynasty.
Thanks given by:
UnionJackMix (02-22-2021)
Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Germany

It could happen on German DVD and Blu-ray releases of older and recent TV shows, where as well as English audio being available, the English titles are available as well. Before this, I thought the English titles wouldn't be available, after watching an episode in a German Blu-ray set of Inspector Barnaby (the titles were different because I'm assuming in Germany the TV series Midsomer Murders is known as Inspector Barnaby). There was an English audio option, but the titles were in German.

The promo trailer for the German DVD release of The Colbys (on the Amazon Germany listing page for The Colbys: Season 1 DVD set) starts with the CBS Home Entertainment logo, followed by the KSM logo, then the part of the title sequence where the show's logo appears over the aerial shot of the Colbys' mansion. The show's logo was in English.

Have tested out the start of the first episode on the first disc, and the show's title is in English.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Germany

Noticed recently on Amazon.de a listing for a DVD release of The Colbys: The Complete Series:

https://www.amazon.de/Die-Colbys-Imperium-Gesamtedition-Staffel/dp/B01K1SWY6I/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1480029237&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Colbys

Below is 3D front cover artwork for this DVD release (source: Amazon.de):

[Show spoiler]

It was released earlier this month on November 7th. What is puzzling me is the bit on the front cover artwork which says "+ Bonus DVD". I was going to ask in this thread what is on the bonus DVD disc, but I've checked the Amazon.de listing page for this German DVD boxset, and even though my German isn't very good, the one review mentions something which sounds like there are interviews with three Colbys castmembers (I suspect these are the same interviews which were apparently on the Region 1 DVD release by Shout! Factory).
Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #6

Dec 2016

Wow! Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Since I last posted in this thread, The Colbys has had a complete series DVD release in the UK by Medium Rare (nearly three years ago). Haven't yet started watching my copy, but it does include the John James, Maxwell Caulfield and Stephanie Beacham interviews.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Apparently, Linda Evans and Dame Joan Collins refused to have anything to do with The Colbys (the obvious example being, when
[Show spoiler]Fallon and Jeff got married (again). Blake, Steven and Dominque made crossover appearances in the episode, but it was explained that Krystle and Alexis couldn't attend the wedding because of bad weather.

About the crossover appearances by Dynasty main castmembers, John Forsythe, Gordon Thompson and Diahann Carroll made the most crossover appearances (Jack Coleman appeared once, in the episode about
[Show spoiler]Fallon and Jeff's wedding).
Would have loved to have seen Christopher Cazenove make a crossover appearance on The Colbys (his character Ben Carrington was mentioned later on in the first season). Sadly, the Dynasty crossover appearances were virtually dropped after the episode about
[Show spoiler]Fallon and Jeff's wedding
(Diahann Carroll last appeared in the first two episodes of the second (and final) season.

Colbys actor Ricardo Montalban would make two crossover appearances on the original Dynasty (one episode each in the sixth and seventh seasons).

The foundations of The Colbys were on Dynasty in the opening episodes of the sixth season. Interesting thing, was Maxwell Caulfield and Ken Howard were both main castmembers on Dynasty as well on The Colbys, but when they both appeared in the same episode, or with some of the other Colbys castmembers (Charlton Heston, Stephanie Beacham, Tracy Scoggins, Claire Yarlett and Barbara Stanwyck, they would be classed as making special guest appearances (appearing at the end of Dynasty's title sequence after Dame Joan Collins).
Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2010

Am I the only one who wants Dallas, The Colbys, Dynasty, and others on Blu-Ray? I don't need lossless audio, just HD picture. It's perfect entertainment for quarantine nights.
Thanks given by:
Canuck21 (02-17-2021), iaf6 (02-17-2021), UnionJackMix (02-22-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #10

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Am I the only one who wants Dallas, The Colbys, Dynasty, and others on Blu-Ray? I don't need lossless audio, just HD picture. It's perfect entertainment for quarantine nights.
Of course I wouldn't say no to that.
Thanks given by:
iaf6 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #11

Dec 2013
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Dynasty has been transferred to HD, maybe someday it will get a release. The Colbys is still in SD only, and I don't have any idea about Dallas.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2010

I don't think they have done anything with Dallas's materials, as there's no sign of "good video" anywhere that it's available for streaming or download and the later seasons definitely show "video tape" visuals, while the earlier ones look like rough telecine transfers from the negatives, likely carried out for the DVD releases.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

It could have been down to the picture quality on CBS Drama, but was the first season of The Colbys not shot alongside the sixth season of Dynasty? Why I ask is because when I first watched the UK DVD release of Dynasty's sixth season, alongside the repeat run of The Colbys' first season (as originally aired in the States), the actors looked a bit older on Dynasty than on The Colbys.

I've been thinking that filming started on The Colbys before the introduction episodes on Dynasty. I had read that they destroyed some of the furniture or sets on The Colbys because they looked too similar to Dynasty's.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #14
Power Member

Jan 2014

Sorry which sets came with slipcases? UK and German complete series of bundled seasons? I think I only have the US version which I snatched up in record time but I may have overlooked the European ones.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:52 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackMix View Post
Sorry which sets came with slipcases? UK and German complete series of bundled seasons? I think I only have the US version which I snatched up in record time but I may have overlooked the European ones.
I'm enough to confuse myself sometimes. lol

If I remember correctly, when both seasons of The Colbys were released separately in Germany, the discs were in thick plastic cases inside slipcovers. When they were released together in Germany, they were as before (still with slipcovers) but in a slipcase with a thin case in the middle (this has the interviews with John James, Maxwell Caulfield and Stephanie Beacham on a bonus disc).

Meanwhile, the UK release by Mediumrare was a complete series release with the interviews included. I know that has a slipcase, but I'd need to check if the two seasons were in separate cases, or in one thick case.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I'm enough to confuse myself sometimes. lol

If I remember correctly, when both seasons of The Colbys were released separately in Germany, the discs were in thick plastic cases inside slipcovers. When they were released together in Germany, they were as before (still with slipcovers) but in a slipcase with a thin case in the middle (this has the interviews with John James, Maxwell Caulfield and Stephanie Beacham on a bonus disc).

Meanwhile, the UK release by Mediumrare was a complete series release with the interviews included. I know that has a slipcase, but I'd need to check if the two seasons were in separate cases, or in one thick case.
No need to check the UK one for me, I see only the complete series is available now so as I'd be double dipping only to have a PAL version with superior image to the NTSC one I'll either be going for the UK or German versions, I'll check to see if languages are the same and which artwork is better.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackMix View Post
No need to check the UK one for me, I see only the complete series is available now so as I'd be double dipping only to have a PAL version with superior image to the NTSC one I'll either be going for the UK or German versions, I'll check to see if languages are the same and which artwork is better.
Hope I've been of some help with your query. I think with the German releases there was an episode guide booklet (in German), and of the first few episodes I saw of the first season (when the show was titled Dynasty II: The Colbys), the end credits ended with a Warner Bros. Television or Warner Bros. logo.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies