Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
43 min ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
14 hrs ago
Toy Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$14.41
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 385 55.72%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 306 44.28%
Voters: 691. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #4361
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
I think it's more of just getting a rot-free copy vs being anal over the text.
Yeah but like I said, if they wanted a rot-free copy, then just get the JP release.

I mean, we're not talking about the mid-90s when it actually would've been difficult to learn stuff like this, right?
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (01-21-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 AM   #4362
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I got this in the mail the other day and spun it up tonight. Yeah yeah...it's cheesy but it's still decent cheese

I'm a huge Baywatch fan and knew I had to get this eventually. Ahh the 90s!

Thanks given by:
Pondosinatra (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 AM   #4363

Dec 2020

got predator 2 on laserdisc. now I have 4 laserdisc but so far no laserdsic player. Hopefully I can get one before the weekend ends.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #4364
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

It still amazes me how much some of the DTS LDs go for these days. I've been after the Titanic one for a while as it's quite rare. This one is difficult to spot as the only way to really spot if it's the DTS version is by the little red DTS logo on the back bottom right cover.
[Show spoiler]
It does not have the large banner across the top as we're used to seeing.

Another way would be if it's still in the shrink with the original DTS sticker on the front. Pictured here.
[Show spoiler]

This one just sold for almost $200 out of the shrink.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (01-29-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #4365

Apr 2019
near St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
It still amazes me how much some of the DTS LDs go for these days.
I'm probably losing street cred, but despite having hundreds of LDs I've never bitten the bullet on a DTS one! It seems like in most cases, you can get the Blu-ray equivalent (with lossless DTS) for much less - I just bought The Shadow on Blu (Shout) for this reason.

But I will get around to getting a few. . .to say I have them (?)
Thanks given by:
meremortal (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #4366
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudeus View Post
I'm probably losing street cred, but despite having hundreds of LDs I've never bitten the bullet on a DTS one! It seems like in most cases, you can get the Blu-ray equivalent (with lossless DTS) for much less - I just bought The Shadow on Blu (Shout) for this reason.

Pretty much agree. But are there any examples where there's been any sort of consensus, subjective or not, of the LD DTS track being preferred over the blu? I've kept a few of them such as Casper since they were so coveted for their sound mixes, but I haven't listened to them in years and the blu could be on the same level or even better.

Last edited by meremortal; 01-26-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #4367
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Pretty much agree. But are there any examples where there's been any sort of consensus, subjective or not, of the LD DTS track being preferred over the blu? I've kept a few of them such as Casper since they were so coveted for their sound mixes, but I haven't listened to them in years and the blu could be on the same level or even better.
That's always been my understanding as well. While not entirely superior, some DTS tracks (particularly with the earlier pressings) had some impressive sound mixes with better dynamic range. I know Casper is one of the few pressings that will rock your home theater and shake your house. Jurassic Park is another along with Tomorrow Never Dies...I believe.

Where is captainsolo? He knows all about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudeus View Post

Oh for sure...I've always assumed that as well. Why fork out $100+ on a DTS LD when you can get the Blu for a fraction of the price. I think it may come down to bragging rights. I don't even know how the Titanic LD sounds on DTS. All I know is that it's a super rare release that is going for big bucks. I would love to get it and compare it with my blu-ray.

Last edited by sfmarine; 01-26-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (01-29-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #4368
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Well you gotta remember that one of the reasons people still go for the dolby digital and DTS LD releases now is that back then they would just dump the theatrical mix right onto those discs so they have a much greater dynamic range compared to their modern home video counterparts. Or at least that's what I'm told.

DTS discs are just more expensive because back then it was somewhat esoteric, even for laserdisc - people just didn't want to invest in buying yet another home theater amp to decode DTS, so fewer copies were sold, but now every home theater amp has a DTS decoder while the old style RF AC-3 has gone the way of the dodo so the situation is reversed. Also DTS on LD is slightly less lossy than DD.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (01-29-2021), sfmarine (01-27-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:46 AM   #4369
Power Member

Jan 2011

DTS discs from that era were still reputedly utilizing theatrical masters and combining them with the massive 1536kbps 5.1 size versus the 384kbps DD ac3. There are some cases like Jurassic Park and early titles that had surrounds to high and this had to be corrected on JP. Generally all the ones I have experienced are bombastic phenomenal experiences but there's no way to 100% confirm they are the theatrical audio without directly comparing.

Certain titles are rare and go for crazy money. I pick DTS titles up where I can but they still carry a premium. However full bitrate DTS carried onto early DVDs and there's a short list of DVDs that carry full DTS tracks before the codec was cut in half and limited to 755kbps. These are titles like Twister, Lethal Weapon DC 1-3.

Of my discs the LDs I have so far done direct and extensive comparisons on:
The Shadow-My first DTS LD and one of my favorite discs on the format. Improved newer transfer over the old LBX LD. Audio is stellar and to my ears just feels better overall than any other version and I have both BD editions. However since it's only the second DTS LD ever it may (and to my ears seems to) suffer the elevated surround issue. The DTS obliterated the old 2.0 matrix version.
Goldeneye-Same transfer and extras as the awesome standard release. The DTS doesn't have the crazy low bass emphasis of the ac3/2.0 and sounds more refined. Overall this sounds better and to my ears even slightly outdoes the BD's hdma audio which comes very close.
Tomorrow Never Dies-again shares same transfer as ac3 version which to me is the finest LD transfer I've ever seen. While all releases are the same source mix the DTS LD has the edge. The BD hdma is close and honestly all versions sound great even VHS hifi. Still nothing replicates the DTS going off. When I run GE and TND neighbors run for the hills...that said just to be unbiased the BDs are very close and also sound great just as the DAD mix has always been great on DVD and BD.

The Long Kiss Goodnight-top 10 LD for PQ and AQ. The standard ac3 release is common and outstanding but the DTS audio unleashes the mix in ways the ac3 version just can't do. The DVD has the LD ac3 mix. I never got the Blu which is apparently OOP.

I have a few more DTS LDs that I will compare but on those I don't have as many different versions to check against. I have a number of early DTS DVDs and actively look for them in dollar bins.

Essentially the thing DTS became known for as being the premium more immersive and powerful soundtrack option given only to select titles was earned by their Laserdisc releases and on DVD just became more of a marketing tool to sell discs as once the bitrate was halved they generally were just louder and bigger competing versions of the same audio track found on the ac3 Dolby track. Just like early DTS DVDs early AC3 on DVD was the same 384kbps LD bitrate and usually were the same audio thus making it possible to enjoy LD audio without having to find an ac3 rf demodulator.

When you compare ac3 and DTS LDs and the content is the same generally the DTS will be the superior experience-but the ac3 can hold its own. On the other hand there were far fewer DTS releases and the best of the ac3 only titles can absolutely blow the roof off despite being form a tiny size. Most focus on DTS titles with a sort of elitism and particularly covet the later rarer ones like Titanic for nor reason other than it's DTS. Again if the mix is the same then the ac3 version will get you 70-90% of the way there but it is again a much smaller size.

The DTS LD titles are worth it for films that were only 2.0 before or if you find one at a bargain price. On most the BD audio seems rather close if no equal with some titles being exceptions.
I will say the expensive Die Hard DTS LDs ironically are ones I'm not as interested in finding for their exorbitant prices-because the 5.1 mixes done for these showed up as ac3 on the common discs I have, ac3 on DVD and lossless hdma on the Blu-rays without any major tweaking making those one of the few examples of good audio making it all the way to BD. Still I'd love to have them to compare but $80+ each? Nope.

My most desired is the DTS for RONIN because I'm obsessed with the film, love the mix and have every other edition....I broke down and even bought the VHS release for 50 cents at a local shop...I have problems.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (02-22-2021), spudeus (01-29-2021), starman15317 (02-16-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #4370
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

The one downside to DTS that I quickly re-discovered was when a few months ago I hooked my LD player up to the soundbar in my garage and was excited to spin up a DTS release that I hadn't seen yet (can't remember the title).

Took me awhile to figure out (remember) the issue when all I could here was a static-ey hiss.

You could argue I'd have the same issue with AC-3, but my Yammy demodulator is much more convenient to move around than having to lug a spare receiver (which I don't have anyways) from the basement.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (01-30-2021), sfmarine (02-22-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #4371
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

I received a copy of The Mask of Zorro today and the discs are cracked and unplayable. Ugh! I also watched Hunt for Red October a few nights ago, and side 1 is plagued with laser rot while sides 2 and 3 are perfectly clean.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #4372
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsIsAwesome123 View Post
I received a copy of The Mask of Zorro today and the discs are cracked and unplayable. Ugh! I also watched Hunt for Red October a few nights ago, and side 1 is plagued with laser rot while sides 2 and 3 are perfectly clean.
You certainly get around
Old 02-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #4373
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

I rolled the dice and picked up Air Force One since it was pretty cheap (low expectations). I also got an allegedly rot-free Eraser for fairly cheap.

And yes, I got a refund on Zorro and a replacement copy.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #4374
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsIsAwesome123 View Post
Hunt for Red October is a pretty common disc and not a known rotter from what I remember, so you should be able to find another one that's clean pretty easily.
Thanks given by:
StarWarsIsAwesome123 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #4375
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman15317 View Post
Hunt for Red October is a pretty common disc and not a known rotter from what I remember, so you should be able to find another one that's clean pretty easily.
Yeah I will get another at some point considering that it's pretty cheap. I guess I just got unlucky with mine.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #4376
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Hentai's not really my thing...but saw this for sale and liked the cover and especially the insert so I snapped it up.

(Hopefully I don't get in shit for posting the picture...not sure how zealously they moderate such things)

Old 02-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #4377
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Commonwealth of Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Hentai's not really my thing...but saw this for sale and liked the cover and especially the insert so I snapped it up.

(Hopefully I don't get in shit for posting the picture...not sure how zealously they moderate such things)

nice. it looks interesting but it doesn't show up in the thread so I did a quote and saw the link. I think even with modifications there's the issue of it being adult so it affects it. I had some issue a long time ago with uploading stuff and it wouldn't take it even though I did what you did.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #4378
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtempo View Post
nice. it looks interesting but it doesn't show up in the thread so I did a quote and saw the link. I think even with modifications there's the issue of it being adult so it affects it. I had some issue a long time ago with uploading stuff and it wouldn't take it even though I did what you did.
Well I think it's ok. They show worse on the pr0n videos they advertise in the 'Top News' section. I did a bit more editing just in case though.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:04 AM   #4379
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Yes, it's talking about VHS, but a lot of the points are equally applicable to Laserdisc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/s...=pocket-newtab
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #4380
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

I did not win the rot lottery with Eraser or Air Force One, but at least they're playable all the way through. I just got a copy of Shawshank Redemption that's pressed by DADC Austria so it's pretty much perfect.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion