Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
58 min ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
15 hrs ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Toy Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$14.41
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #30361
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Is there a reason that you are pointing out the IMDB ratings?
Just to show that many people thought those titles were good, for us they were 0 stars, Steedeel on the other hand liked District 9. That is the reason I refrain from posting about a movie itself and recommend folks judge each title for its worth.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #30362
slimjean slimjean is online now
Expert Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
You don't need to attempt to educate me about disc plastics and how they are sealed etc, I know more than you, however most of the time I choose not to talk about such things on forums, cause I really do have better things to do with my time.
Again, you are assuming.

Now I haven't assumed anything about you. If what I said make sense then you would see how anyone would be scratching their heads at your conclusions. If you are in a science field, that is good. If you aren't, then you are talking out the ....

Quote:
You don't know how many are in you collection that may stop working, or start to deteriorate due to this, or already have. How many Blu-ray's do you own, and how frequently do you play them?
Did I not just explain this to you, and you are telling me about comprehending? Please go back and re-read my post because I explained what I do and have proven my conclusions.

..or don't read, it makes no difference at this point.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #30363
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
Again, you are assuming.

Now I haven't assumed anything about you. If what I said make sense then you would see how anyone would be scratching their heads at your conclusions. If you are in a science field, that is good. If you aren't, then you are talking out the ...
I'm not assuming anything... Are you an in a science field, that's relevant to discs? Which I doubt very much, based on reading plenty of your posts on here. If not, you're just talking out of your ass too. You're likely an arm chair expert just like most on here, including myself. As arm chair experts, I was saying that you don't need to explain anything to me (you are wasting your time), I'm pretty confident that I am educated on the topic, and that I would know more than you about it... You certainly didn't and haven't said anything that I'm not already aware of. So that leaves evidence to back up our claims, there is plenty on here to support exactly what I was meaning and saying... I don't know how you can provide any evidence to dispute this, especially since I haven't said that I disagree with your pointless rant (which is irrelevant to my point) about discs lasting a long time if they are manufactured correctly.


Quote:
Did I not just explain this to you, and you are telling me about comprehending? Please go back and re-read my post because I explained what I do and have proven my conclusions.

..or don't read, it makes no difference at this point.
I must've missed it if you mentioned the size of your collection, how frequently you watch them, and consistently test them... I'm actually out and about and busy, I just sat down to have a coffee (a real latte, unlike American rubbish coffee, worst in the world ):

IMG20210223110748.jpg

So please post it again if you did.

Also, if you only have several hundred Blu-ray's then I am less interested in your point of view and findings.

Last edited by Cevolution; 02-23-2021 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:21 AM   #30364
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
32 years of experience with optical media makes for a very valid argument. 32 years of overwhelmingly reliable results with optical media informs my decision to keep buying it. If I had lots of problems with any format, I would not keeping buying that format; it is just that simple.

When people have a problem with a disc, or with anything, they post about their problem. It is not as if people come online and make a point of posting every time that a disc, or anything else, works properly. Imagine the tedium if we all posted every time that one of our discs played fine!

That's fair enough, I can see how it has boosted your confidence, however, evaluating the life expectancy of a different newer format, based on an older format, is certainly not proof or a way of measuring Blu-ray from an objective perspective.

Secondly, I mean no disrespect here, but you are much older than me (I'm only 39), I need my collection to last a lot longer than yours... There may not be another physical media format to ever jump to, like you have been able to do in your life. If I was your age, I wouldn't really be overly concerned either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Cases of disc failure reported here are anecdotal and so is my experience of exceptional disc reliability and longevity, but, like most people, my purchase decisions are based mostly upon my experience with a product and I have had 32 years of resounding success with optical media.
This is a typical response for some physical media extremists in this thread - "don't listen to them, they are lairs and not reliable...". So their personal experiences don't count towards determining facts, which can be used for research? It's well documented on this site, by plenty of members who have experienced it (some have even provided proof above their word, and it has been acknowledged by some distributors), that are far more reliable and can be believed, with stronger forum credibility, than most that regularly post in this thread who tell others that Blu-ray is great, even in instances when it's not

Last edited by Cevolution; 02-23-2021 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Noticed a spelling error.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 AM   #30365
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
146
819
9
Default

Alright it's done, just bought the two subwoofers I said I was going to buy. They should be here in a a day or two!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-23-2021), Cevolution (02-23-2021), Ender14 (02-23-2021), gotmule (02-23-2021), slimjean (02-23-2021), Vilya (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:15 AM   #30366
slimjean slimjean is online now
Expert Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Are you an in a science field, that's relevant to discs?
I formulated polymers as well as epoxy resins. Been my bread and butter for a number of years before I moved to inorganic work.

So yes I have an understanding of the material at an atomic level. Can you say the same?

Quote:
I must've missed it if you mentioned the size of your collection, how frequently you watch them, and consistently test them...
Except of course I said my collection is 3000 and I laid out how I test them on a regular basis.

At this point you are acting completely trollish with no purpose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:42 AM   #30367
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
I formulated polymers as well as epoxy resins. Been my bread and butter for a number of years before I moved to inorganic work.

So yes I have an understanding of the material at an atomic level. Can you say the same?
Interesting... For what company, and how many years did you do this for? Was this also during Blu-ray's lifetime?

How does you doing this, disprove or discredit the experiences of myself and everyone else on this site who has been the victim of poorly manufactured or replicated Blu-ray discs, on a scale that shouldn't be overlooking or ignored?


Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
Except of course I said my collection is 3000 and I laid out how I test them on a regular basis.

At this point you are acting completely trollish with no purpose.
"You're just trolling"... You sound like Steedeel, mate, surely you don't want to sound like he does? It's a public forum, if you're going to respond, then expect a reply back, it's really that simple. No I didn't see it, I'll have to go back and check... You could've reposted it, if you wanted this conversation to actually move forward, rather than making a comment about trolling... Therefore who's really trolling

Last edited by Cevolution; 02-23-2021 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Noticed a spelling error.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #30368
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
First of all, you have no clue what our watching habits are so you assumption is a guess at best.

Second, it is also about deductive reasoning. If you play every title you have, and then come back to them periodically and they still don't fail after you constantly watch movies, you can extrapolate failure statistics.

There are always outliers, and it is smart that if you hear of an issue you go and test what is on your shelves.

But this bologna idea that it is some huge number is not looking at the basic facts.

Re-watching discs (which I do ALL THE TIME) not producing a failure is a win.

Also I keep some discs on constant fast forward. I watch one movie, while playing another. I have several players going at one time (5 to be exact). To fast forward a movie on the slowest speed can be done in 5 minutes in most cases. A collection of 3000 movies takes about 50 hours this way. I usually go through my collection pretty quickly while enjoying other movies.

Also I put them through a read error tests with MakeMKV and have several people that I pay to do all these tasks.

When I say it was a small percentage, it was about 5 discs. I do this yearly since I first heard of failures. Going on the 6th year now.
Ok, found it. Alright, it's official, you really do need to get a life ... I see why you have a fascination with needing to watch porn on Blu-ray now

Last edited by Cevolution; 02-23-2021 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:12 AM   #30369
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
72
464
143
339
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
I think sometimes people try to gauge long term predictions based on trends.

While there is the hipster mentality that just because Tiktok and other social media forms are popular, this is how it is always going to be?

Movies have been enjoyed for well over a century, theater in long form of some kind, IDK, do we just say Shakespeare. lol.

Same goes for owning thing. Do we scream the sky is falling because we have a pandemic, or do we understand the outlier it actually is?

Of course streaming is going to be popular because people are forced to stay at home, and we have an unusual amount of ADULTS not working even before then.

There is a generation that obscenely watches TV shows more than any other. Draining season after season after season of any and all they can veg out on. Does this mean it will always be this way?

If you look at the numbers realistically, every generation had a way of not owning. Be it movie tickets, television broadcast, or VHS rentals, and most were not tracked very well.

I would argue it still isn't with independent companies clearly not being tracked in the same way as monopoly like stores that have profited and take advantage while others that could and would compete are forced to close.

Now on the flip side, I kinda love the hipster Nostradamus that say how much physical has died, DVD is so much more popular, and 4K is just a fad. The more they yap, the more dark horse keeps gaining that you thought was dead long ago.

Bluray is dead!!, and yet here it sits on its 15th year while certain individuals claimed it would be gone in 5. If you look at the facts and the plethora of release, it is feeling like the VHS boom all over again. People weren't buying anything like they are now, but I remember those Netflix Streamer like sheep just fighting to get that last piece of plastic hanging of the mile long VHS tape rental new release that will be discounted the very next week (kinda like those cancelled TV shows that many whine and cry about?). Is it surprising that many of those same people in their retirement are the first to dump physical collecting (that they in a hipster like way jumped on when they had no other choice when the prices were so cheap it only made sense to buy while music CD's dwindled?) and proclaim streaming as supreme victor?

For me, I usually walked right past those lots, and enjoyed the weird movies, and figured out very early you just order your stuff through magazines and get the cool stuff instead! Often I would just wait until the sheep crowd died down and rent later IF I cared. Once I started buying, I never looked back. There are still laserdisc that have not been topped and yet I am told by these stream huggers that I should just throw it away. lol
So how many years have you been eligible for a senior discount?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cevolution (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #30370
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
[Show spoiler]That's fair enough, I can see how it has boosted your confidence, however, evaluating the life expectancy of a different newer format, based on an older format, is certainly not proof or a way of measuring Blu-ray from an objective perspective.

Secondly, I mean no disrespect here, but you are much older than me (I'm only 39), I need my collection to last a longer than you... There may not be another physical media format to ever jump to, like you have been able to in your life. If I was your age, I wouldn't really be overly concerned either.


This is a typical response for some physical media extremists in this thread - "don't listen to them, they are lairs and not reliable...". So their personal experiences don't count towards determining facts, which can be used for research? It's well documented on this site, by plenty of members who have experienced it (some have even provided proof above their word, and it has been acknowledged by some distributors), that are far more reliable and can be believed, with stronger forum credibility, than most that regularly post in this thread who tell others that Blu-ray is great, even in instances when it's not
Had you highlighted more than just the first half of that sentence you might have noticed that I said my experience was anecdotal, also. I would not offer anecdotes of my own if thought that anecdotes had no value, but that value is limited to the experience of the person commenting and no one's anecdote can be construed as proof of any widespread phenomena. Their anecdotes are true for them and mine are true for me, but I can not extrapolate from anyone's anecdote that their experiences represent anything but their own experience.

As I said earlier today, I read the comments of those that say they have had problems with a specific disc title and if I also own that title I then check my copy to see whether or not I also have that problem. I would not bother doing so if I was simply dismissing what they said.

I was not trying to prove anything to begin with; I was simply stating what my experience with optical disc media has been and that is why I have so much confidence in it. No one would keep buying something that frequently went bad on them.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-23-2021 at 05:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cevolution (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #30371
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

I'm not even eligible for a senior discount...yet.

Some people here have suggested that I have less reason to be concerned with how long things will last because they seem to think that I don't have all that long to last myself. I do not worry about the former and I do my best not to worry about the latter.

The distance from cradle to grave is only one lifetime and no one can foresee that length.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #30372
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
No one would keep buying something that frequently went bad on them.
LOL - that would be my son Alex. he has purchased the same movie 3X - a horror movie that was available at Dollar Tree for a buck. The first two would not play. He hasn't tested the third yet. I assume it was a bad batch pressing and all copies will not work. The name of the movie is Severance on DVD, a Magnolia pressing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #30373
slimjean slimjean is online now
Expert Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I see why you have a fascination with needing to watch porn on Blu-ray now
"Porn" is different from Aduit films. I appreciate sex, but I like it with a great story to make it have a better impact. And yes when that film is done right I want it in the best quality.

Your judgmental crap and your obvious just spouting, shows that you aren't interested in facts. Most of us have been collecting optical media for almost half a century. Failures are next to nothing.

You argue for exceptions and attack people personally that disagree with you.

Go play with yourself. You have been dragged out and brought to the light to show exactly what you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Interesting... For what company, and how many years did you do this for? Was this also during Blu-ray's lifetime?
Why so you can stalk me as well? I never said that my experience discredits you, but your lack of knowledge is apparent and it discredits itself. Companies have manufacturing errors and if you stay on top of it like I do it is not an issue.

As for me, yes my formulation was before and during. May actually be again soon. Though it diesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the durability of the disc. Transferring the data to an M-disc while not necessary will give you even more durability. Even with freezing temperatures and boiling for a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
So how many years have you been eligible for a senior discount?
I consider the source and the one that thanks you.

Last edited by slimjean; 02-23-2021 at 09:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #30374
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
I formulated polymers as well as epoxy resins. Been my bread and butter for a number of years before I moved to inorganic work.

So yes I have an understanding of the material at an atomic level. Can you say the same?



Except of course I said my collection is 3000 and I laid out how I test them on a regular basis.

At this point you are acting completely trollish with no purpose.
Just try ignore him mate, I do. He is trying to Gaud people into a response and he is obsessed with me as you can probably tell by his bringing my name up and making snide remarks about disc obsessives. There is nothing to gain by replying to him at this point. I don’t want a ban.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #30375
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
"Porn" is different from Aduit films. I appreciate sex, but I like it with a great story to make it have a better impact. And yes when that film is done right I want it in the best quality.

Your judgmental crap and your obvious just spouting, shows that you aren't interested in facts. Most of us have been collecting optical media for almost half a century. Failures are next to nothing.

You argue for exceptions and attack people personally that disagree with you.

Go play with yourself. You have been dragged out and brought to the light to show exactly what you are.
"Facts"

I'll leave that all to you, it's not something I need to do often, I've actually got women in my life that do that for me... Like I hinted in my previous post, it's certainly no surprise that you don't . The fact that you even responded with that, just makes what I said even more funny. Now, I hope you are done interrupting me, so that I don't need to stop my workout at the gym again, to respond between sets... Enjoy your day, and don't self pleasure yourself too hard, you need some energy to spend 50 hours watching your 3000 Blu-ray title on 5 different players at once, to check for defects after all

Last edited by Cevolution; 02-23-2021 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Spelling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #30376
slimjean slimjean is online now
Expert Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Just try ignore him mate, I do. He is trying to Gaud people into a response and he is obsessed with me as you can probably tell by his bringing my name up and making snide remarks about disc obsessives. There is nothing to gain by replying to him at this point. I donít want a ban.
Yeah as proof see behavior right above this. Thx for advice
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #30377
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
Yeah as proof see behavior right above this. Thx for advice
My advice, just ignore all the digs. He has just moved on to you now, thatís all that is happening here. You like what you like, no one here has the right to make personal judgements and scoff for liking a certain genre. He never knows when to stop.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-23-2021), slimjean (02-23-2021), Wendell R. Breland (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #30378
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
551
2924
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
My advice, just ignore all the digs. He has just moved on to you now, that’s all that is happening here. You like what you like, no one here has the right to make personal judgements and scoff for liking a certain genre. He never knows when to stop.
I haven't moved on to anyone... It takes two, Slimjim has been engaging me, he has a choice not to respond... As I stated to him not many posts ago, it's a public forum, and if he is going to respond, then expect a reply back.

Secondly, in his previous post to me, he said that I insult people, but then in the same post, he threw out an insult, and told me to go play with myself... My response to this was befitting of what he said, and he walked right into it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #30379
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Ok, found it. Alright, it's official, you really do need to get a life ... I see why you have a fascination with needing to watch porn on Blu-ray now
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #30380
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
390
1871
17
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
LOL - that would be my son Alex. he has purchased the same movie 3X - a horror movie that was available at Dollar Tree for a buck. The first two would not play. He hasn't tested the third yet. I assume it was a bad batch pressing and all copies will not work. The name of the movie is Severance on DVD, a Magnolia pressing.
Some discs are just made bad. My copy of 2 Headed Shark Attack has a few spots where the video goes garbled or jumps a few seconds ahead. This is a bad encode. It is mentioned in the review of the disc on this site.

I'm not sure it will be recalled.

I keep thinking I'll check the version of Tubi to see if a better encode exists of this true gem of modern cinema.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.