Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Baldur's Gate (Switch)
$41.88

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster (Switch)
$29.99

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Switch)
$33.88

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)
$49.94
7 hrs ago
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (Switch)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
Rocket League (Switch)
$25.60

Rocket League (Switch)
$24.89
15 hrs ago
Trine Ultimate Collection (Switch)
$41.88

Sniper Elite V2 Remastered (Switch)
$29.99

Disgaea 1 Complete (Switch)
$30.05

Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission (Switch)
$29.81
3 hrs ago
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 03-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
A niche title on a system with a small userbase. Just because a game is good doesn't mean everyone will buy it.
that was his point. Being a good 3rd party title doesnt necessarily mean anything for the Wii U and its userbase
Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

True, but if it was a Wii U exclusive of a very well known, popular 3rd party franchise, it likely would have at probably done considerably better.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #43
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Fast forward to today with the Wii-U and Nintendo is STILL refusing to offer up DVD/Blu-ray drive support.
The Wii U does play Blu-rays but they're of Nintendo's own proprietary 25 GB per disc, you can even see that they use the same kind of disc + coating as a standard Blu-ray disc does. As the Wii also used DVDs and it later became possible to play DVDs the same could happen to the Wii U once it's hacked (i.e, play normal Blu-rays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedude 2K15 View Post
I'd love to play a great Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat or whatever on their machine.
A few weeks ago I played Black Ops 2 on Wii U online but there was no voice chat, everything was so quiet that it didn't even feel as good as playing on Xbox/PS. Voice chat is a big factor to keep gamers pumped up but Nintendo fans are different they think voice chat is "overrated", "not needed" and "pointless".

When the time comes to play Splatoon online they'll be wishing it had voice chat.

Quote:
So what was Bayonetta 2's excuse? This is a gorgeous looking and great playing 3rd party title, exclusive to the Wii-U, that was extremely well reviewed that no one bought.
Platinum Games' regardless of platform their games sell like crap and yes Bayonetta 2 was anxiously awaited by many but in terms of sales, it didn't do that great. It certainly did much better than Wonderful 101 (even Iwata wasn't pleased with how low the sales were).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedude 2K15 View Post
Nintendo fans don't support third party because there are almost NO games made from them because NINTENDO doesn't support the devs well by making relevant hardware that people want to own. It's because of this that they don't make games on the platform. Nintendo could be extremely relevant again if they made a console that could have the multiplatform games developed on it by the likes of Ubisoft, EA etc along side the PS4 and XB1. It's a crazy cycle that Nintendo has created themselves.
Nintendo did give the heads up for 3rd parties to release their games on the Wii U but then the next step is for people to actually buy those said games and what happened? Barely or no one bought them, hence why 3rd party companies don't want anything to do with Wii U customers (3rd party on 3DS is great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
True, but if it was a Wii U exclusive of a very well known, popular 3rd party franchise, it likely would have at probably done considerably better.
Platinum Games' do make great games but what about the copies sold? Yeah. That's right. Low (or really bad in Wonderful 101's case).

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/10/iwata-o...pos=0&at_tot=1

That's it really.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Exactly this. Anything that has come out 3rd party for the WiiU was either not exclusive and inferior, or exclusive and very niche.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #45
Special Member

Dec 2008
Greenville, SC USA

I'm not sold on Nintendo making a dramatic comeback and working it's way between Sony and Microsoft.

Not going to happen....

Nintendo has been mismanaged for years. Everything from the cartridge (N64), mini-disc (Gamecube), Wii (Lack of HD or true surround sound) and finally the Wii U.

In roughly 4-7 years, I see Nintendo bowing out of the console market and going strictly to software development much like Sega did. They just cannot complete for the REAL gamers money. (No 3rd party development, etc, etc)

Mario will only get them so far.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #46
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Neo View Post
In roughly 4-7 years, I see Nintendo bowing out of the console market and going strictly to software development much like Sega did. They just cannot complete for the REAL gamers money. (No 3rd party development, etc, etc)

Even though the Wii U is a colossal failure Nintendo won't be turning into a software company because thanks to the Wii, DS and 3DS reinvented models and whatnot they're swimming in money so they won't go bankrupt. But they'll need to rethink seriously about not making another crappy home console like the Wii U was (or still is).

Crappy because of 200 games or so that the system has only 15-17 (this is not acceptable) are actually worth playing so they need to step it up.

Quote:
Nintendo has burnt Mario's franchise to the ground and whatever they release with him is just unoriginal, uncreative and more rehashes till the cow becomes dry.

New franchises are what they need and sticking to Mario, Zelda and Smash/Kart will eventually stop selling like Call of Duty has been in decline. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U has pretty much perfected the formula so the next HD Smash won't be bringing anything new any more.

By the way, Mario Party 10's a below average game with paywalls but I think everyone here already knew it.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Whatever their next system is I just want them to have a Virtual Console that is heavily supported, games are bought once and work on the home and handheld units and games come out at a good pace. None of this trickle shit they're doing now. Treat the rest of the world like they treat Japan. I have the ability to play any rom out there for any system on my PC and yet I will throw money their way when it's more convenient to fire up a console and have them all there.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Exactly this. Anything that has come out 3rd party for the WiiU was either not exclusive and inferior, or exclusive and very niche.
That's kind of up for debate IMO (the inferior part).

Let's take a couple of examples from WB games.... Batman Arkham Origins and Injustice Gods Among Us.

In both instances, the visuals and so forth of those games were actually highly rated on the Wii U. I believe even considered better than the PS3 and 360 versions, from what I recall.

Having compared Injustice, myself on Wii U, PS3 and the Ultimate Editon release on PS4, overall the Wii u version is probably the best in terms of the graphics and cinematic scenes looking the best.

But also in the case of Injustice, one of the problems of course is online multiplayer. You are simply going to find more people to play against on 360 and PS3, if that is your thing. So in that sense, the Wii U version was inferior. But this really wasn't much of an issue for Batman Arkham Origins, which is mainly a single player game.

The other problem was dlc support. Because of the poor sales of these games, they never finished releasing all of the dlc on Wii U that came out for the other systems because it was just not worth their while to continue programming it for the system.

The point that I'm making here is that there is a catch-22 to the whole situation. Even when the Wii U gets a good version of a 3rd party game, people aren't buying them on the Wii U. And while there are exceptions, I would imagine that a lot of people that own a Wii U likely also own a PS3 or 360 (maybe even a PS4 or Xbone).

They just don't see the Wii U as being a system for which they buy 3rd party games. And that's fine to an extent. Everyone has the right to choose what system they want to buy their games on. But when some of those same people are the ones *****ing about the lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo, they are partially to blame by assisting in maintaining that status quo. It's all part of the cycle of the self-fullfilling prophecy.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
I'm not sold on Nintendo making a dramatic comeback and working it's way between Sony and Microsoft.

Not going to happen....

Nintendo has been mismanaged for years. Everything from the cartridge (N64), mini-disc (Gamecube), Wii (Lack of HD or true surround sound) and finally the Wii U.

I wouldn't call the Wii a mismanagement. You might not have liked it but it made a killing for Nintendo.

Nintendo is the only company that can survive on 1st party games alone when selling systems. I don't see them leaving the console race at all.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
I wouldn't call the Wii a mismanagement. You might not have liked it but it made a killing for Nintendo.

Nintendo is the only company that can survive on 1st party games alone when selling systems. I don't see them leaving the console race at all.
I've gained a newfound appreciation for Nintendo. Regardless of what you think about them, at least their shit works! It may take a little longer for them to get their games out but when they do, they freaking work like they're supposed to! They don't ship broken games. Also, the build quality of their products is top notch. You can tell the Wii-U is just a solidly built system with high quality components that works the way it's supposed to!

Also, out of the 3 current consoles I have played my Wii-U FAR more than the other 2. Between Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, the virtual console classics, etc. I have a logged far more hours on my Wii U than either my PS4 or my X1.

I say all that to say, I hope Nintendo never gets out of the hardware business. They just make quality stuff that works and lasts!
Thanks given by:
detective392 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #51
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
I've gained a newfound appreciation for Nintendo. Regardless of what you think about them, at least their shit works! It may take a little longer for them to get their games out but when they do, they freaking work like they're supposed to! They don't ship broken games. Also, the build quality of their products is top notch. You can tell the Wii-U is just a solidly built system with high quality components that works the way it's supposed to!

Also, out of the 3 current consoles I have played my Wii-U FAR more than the other 2. Between Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, the virtual console classics, etc. I have a logged far more hours on my Wii U than either my PS4 or my X1.

I say all that to say, I hope Nintendo never gets out of the hardware business. They just make quality stuff that works and lasts!
Exactly, I still have my original DS that was released 11 years ago and the thing still plays top notch.

I never have to worry about my Nintendo consoles or games. Even today Nintendo makes nothing but quality games.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

My Wii U makes me smile every time I turn it on. That says a lot.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #53
Banned

Jan 2015

Quote:
A niche title on a system with a small userbase. Just because a game is good doesn't mean everyone will buy it.
EXACTLY! A niche title on what has become a niche system. Trying to sell a game that would have a smaller audience on any system. Not saying it isn't fabulous because I know the reviews are fantastic for the game but if that game hit PS4 it would obviously sell better than on Wii U but it would never reach a larger userbase like COD, GTA or Far Cry etc would either.

I just want Nintendo to mean something to me again. I'd like them to make a more traditional console again but if they don't then I'm afraid I'd likely have to pass on another system from them.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

I think many of us have a soft spot for Nintendo. Super mario goes a long way to cement that. I have been loyal to PS for decades but I may go for the next console for when I want a light hearted bit of gaming fun.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #55
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Exactly, I still have my original DS that was released 11 years ago and the thing still plays top notch.

I never have to worry about my Nintendo consoles or games. Even today Nintendo makes nothing but quality games.
It isn't fair to compare the reliability of the hardware when Nintendo is using much simpler technology. If I buy a new Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 now those will likely last as well. A Wii U is barely more advanced than either of them so it's no surprise that Nintendo was able to make a reliable Wii U at launch.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
It isn't fair to compare the reliability of the hardware when Nintendo is using much simpler technology. If I buy a new Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 now those will likely last as well. A Wii U is barely more advanced than either of them so it's no surprise that Nintendo was able to make a reliable Wii U at launch.
Yes it is fair bc thats all a design choice by the companies. I really dont see what the power of the tech has to do with reliability. The failures in the systems tend to come from the parts used, and they tend to use cheaper parts to make money. I remember the YLOD on the PS3 was primarily bc of the cheap thermal paste of low quality that Sony used. That had nothing to do with the system not having "simple" tech. Its a tradeoff that they are willing to make which tend to result in more faulty hardware early in a life cycle The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, yet it tended to have less issues
Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
How new the tech is has nothing to do with build quality. It has to do with the quality of the components that are used to make it. In that case Nintendo simply doesn't cut corners. Besides that, even if we do consider your argument, you have to remember that the Wii U launched 2 years prior to the PS4 and X1. So for that time period the Wii U WAS pretty current in terms of performance. Your argument would only be valid if the Wii U launched simultaneously with the PS4 and X1.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, yet it tended to have less issues
You could go back further than that. The N64 was more powerful than both PS1 and Saturn and that thing was built like a tank! The SNES was the same way. All Nintendo made products are thick, heavy, and sturdy as hell. In fact, in all my years of gaming I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with any of my Nintendo hardware. That's going all the way back to 1990 with my original NFS system. That's a hell of a track record! I can think of no other electronics maker with that kind of reliability. Apple is probably the closest.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #59
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
You could go back further than that. The N64 was more powerful than both PS1 and Saturn and that thing was built like a tank!
No moving parts though. Plus it was the first main generation with optical drives. I get what you're saying overall but in this case it's really not a fair argument.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #60
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Katy, TX

Quote:
You could go back further than that. The N64 was more powerful than both PS1 and Saturn and that thing was built like a tank! The SNES was the same way. All Nintendo made products are thick, heavy, and sturdy as hell. In fact, in all my years of gaming I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with any of my Nintendo hardware. That's going all the way back to 1990 with my original NFS system. That's a hell of a track record! I can think of no other electronics maker with that kind of reliability. Apple is probably the closest.
You never had to blow on your nes cartridges in an attempt to make them work? (though the blowing isn't likely what fixed the problem)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Tags
nintendo, switch™