Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99
7 hrs ago
Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.97
9 hrs ago
Everest 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.18

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.35

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Martian 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.30
3 hrs ago
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.97

Pandas: The Journey Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Shrek Forever After 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.36

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Default Samsung BD-C6900 3D Player Thread

The Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray 3D player is now appearing at Best Buy and other retailers. The User Manual is available for download HERE.

I have reviewed the User's Manual and the following is a summary of the 3D related capabilities and available user settings for this player (and my conclusions on the 3D related capabilities of this player at the bottom of this post):

The player has a 3D mode user setting to select one of three possible operating modes:
  • Auto : "You can choose whether to watch 3D Blu-ray disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing
    the 3D Blu-ray. It is automatically played in 2D mode if your TV cannot support 3D contents." {i.e., requires HDMI 1.4 equipped 3D HDTV (and 1.4 equipped AVR if used) in order to output 3D content in 3D mode}
  • 3D : "The 3D Blu-ray Disc is played in 3D mode at all times. If a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray
    discs, the playing screen can be black. "{i.e., basically Forced 3D output when playing 3D discs regardless of what the TV supports - may work with 3D HDTVs and/or AVRs that only support HDMI 1.3, but the 3D HDTV must support the 3D HDMI signal format provided by the player in order to actually display the 3D video}
  • 2D : "The 3D Blu-ray Disc is played in 2D mode at all times. Choose this to view a picture
    without 3D effect or when a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs." {i.e., operates as a stardard 2D Blu-ray Disc player even if connected to a 3D HDTV}
Note: "As the video resolution in 3D play mode is fixed according to the resolution of the original 3D video, you can not change the resolution to your preference. "
Specification: Supports 1080p and 720p 3D video output modes {i.e., only resolutions supported in 3D mode and only via HDMI}

3D Feature Description:
"This player can play 3D contents through an HDMI cable."

"To implement the 3D effect, connect a 3D device (3D-compliant AV receiver, 3D-compliant TV) to the player using an HDMI cable, and play the 3D content while wearing 3D vision glasses."
Screen Size setting:
"Lets you enter the actual screen size of your TV so that the player can adjust the image according to the screen size and display an optimal 3D image. (The maximum allowed screen size is 116 inches for this player.)"
Conclusion: The manual provides no indication that this player supports other than a single 3D output format for a given 3D disc. Thus it appears that only the "Frame Packing" 1080p/24 and 720p/60 3D formats (i.e., for each the right and left image stream), as defined by the HDMI 1.4a specification and required by the Blu-ray 3D spec., are supported. Any 3D display that does not support the Frame Packing HDMI signal formats will not be compatible with this player. Such incompatible displays include the 720p 3D DLP projectors and 3D computer displays that only support 3D sources that provide a sequential alternating right/left image stream at 120Hz total. Also the Samsung and Mitsubishi "3D ready" DLP rear projection TVs will not be directly compatible with this player without the use of an external 3D adapter box (already announced to be coming from Mits by early summer).

Last edited by ronjones; 04-05-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #2

Jan 2009

Nice informative post!!........just came from Best Buy and loved watching Monsters vs Aliens in 3D!! I LOVED IT!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

I appears that Samsung released a firmware update for the BD-C6900 at the end of March. Here is the Link for the download (click on the Firmware tab to get to the download page). There doesn't seem to be an info on what this firmware update does.

Last edited by ronjones; 04-05-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #4

Nov 2007
Default Samsung 3D capable blu-ray players thread

This thread is a summation of 3D capable players available from Samsung.

For more information, kindly refer to our blu-ray player section, using the search feature and highlighting the 3D option (found in the General section). A culmination of most players via our colleagues. we invite you to assist us in keeping it updated and appreciate your efforts!

Dont forget to include the model in particular if you have any questions!

As of 07/14/10 the list includes,

Samsung BD-C5900

Samsung BD-C6800

Samsung BD-C6900

Samsung BD-C7900
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

Nov 2007

reserved for future postings
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #6

Nov 2007

reserved
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #7

Nov 2007

lemme guess. reserved?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #8

Jul 2010

Hello all. After lots of Google searches to try and find an answer to my problem, I have found this site. I bought the 55" Samsung 3D TV package that came with the Samsung BDC6900 Blu Ray 3D player and glasses. I set the TV up, hooked up all connections including the 1.4 HDMI cable thats required...turned on the TV, went through the set up with no issues. Then clicked the source button to go to the Blu Ray player, it turns on the unit after being selected. The player first came up on a menu for set up, then after completion...I put in a disc to check it out, and it says "checking connection" then immediately says "no connection found, check your connections, power, and source selections." First question...what the heck does that mean? If any of those 3 were wrong it seems to me that the unit wouldn't have turned on as soon as the source was selected...I have checked the connection on the players end, and on the TV's end many times and its always a nice and snug connection. I like to think that I'm fairly technologically inclined.....but this has me perplexed.

and why cant a new member post his own thread?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7857 View Post
Hello all. After lots of Google searches to try and find an answer to my problem, I have found this site. I bought the 55" Samsung 3D TV package that came with the Samsung BDC6900 Blu Ray 3D player and glasses. I set the TV up, hooked up all connections including the 1.4 HDMI cable thats required...turned on the TV, went through the set up with no issues. Then clicked the source button to go to the Blu Ray player, it turns on the unit after being selected. The player first came up on a menu for set up, then after completion...I put in a disc to check it out, and it says "checking connection" then immediately says "no connection found, check your connections, power, and source selections." First question...what the heck does that mean? If any of those 3 were wrong it seems to me that the unit wouldn't have turned on as soon as the source was selected...I have checked the connection on the players end, and on the TV's end many times and its always a nice and snug connection. I like to think that I'm fairly technologically inclined.....but this has me perplexe

and why cant a new member post his own thread?
Do you have HDMI going to your receiver?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #10

Jul 2010

Yeah I have the 1.4 hdmi from the receiver to the tv. I cant figure out what Im doing wrong here.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #11

Nov 2007

Welcome to the foray!

im assuming it is referring to the internet connection, since you can see the display on your telly.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #12

Jul 2010
Wellington Point, Qld Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7857 View Post
Yeah I have the 1.4 hdmi from the receiver to the tv. I cant figure out what Im doing wrong here.
Is your receiver new? Can it do HDMI 1.4 pass through? If not, connect your Samsung BDC6900 directly to your TV via HDMI and your audio by another method to your receiver.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #13

Nov 2009
-

I'm having a similar problem (and despite being a member since Nov 2009 I also can't make my own post)...I posted this in another thread but maybe it will be answered here...

"I have a BD-C6900, LN46C750, Onkyo 1.4 receiver and certified 1.4 HDMI cables connecting all. I bought Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on Blu-ray 3d and popped it in, picture is amazing however my BD-C6900 won't output the DTS-HD track to my Onkyo while 3D playback is occurring (in the "Audiophile" setting on the Blu-ray Player). The only way I can get sound is to change the audio setting on the Blu-ray player to convert the DTS-HD to PCM and output that to the Onkyo receiver. Is anyone else having a similar problem or know a fix? "

Basically why won't the BD-C6900 output DTS-HD while playing a 3D Disc (I also tried Ice Age 3 3D tonight and same problem)

Last edited by beaverboy56; 07-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #14

Jul 2010
Wellington Point, Qld Australia

It appears this bitstreaming issue with Samsung and Onkyo has been around for a while.
Lots of talk on other forums. No current solution.
Hopefully a future firmware upgrade from Samsung may fix.
Until then use PCM from Sammy for HD audio decode.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #15

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by redted View Post
Is your receiver new? Can it do HDMI 1.4 pass through? If not, connect your Samsung BDC6900 directly to your TV via HDMI and your audio by another method to your receiver.
It is new right out of the box. The guys at Best Buy strongly advised me to use the 1.4 cable as it was needed with 3D technology. Is this not accurate?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #16

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
Welcome to the foray!

im assuming it is referring to the internet connection, since you can see the display on your telly.
Does the receiver have to be connected to the internet before it will play a disc? If so....how do I get it connected if it wont come up on any menu or anything. It only says that error message.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #17

Nov 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by redted View Post
It appears this bitstreaming issue with Samsung and Onkyo has been around for a while.
Lots of talk on other forums. No current solution.
Hopefully a future firmware upgrade from Samsung may fix.
Until then use PCM from Sammy for HD audio decode.

The weird thing is that with normal 2D blu-rays I can get DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA
Default Samsung 3D blu ray player help

Long story short. I bought a 3DTV a few weeks ago but returned it after finding out u couldnt turn auto motion off on that model. When I did have it everything was hooked up great.

Everything worked except the blu ray player. It would play regular blu rays but when it came to the 3D version of Monsters vs Aliens it wouldnt play. It would just flicker between a black screen, purple screen and a put your 3d glasses on screen.

Is there anything that your suppose to do for 3d movies to work(settings within the blu-ray player). BTW I had a option that said 3D auto(anytime a
3d movie was put in it would automatically show it in 3d)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #19

Nov 2009
-

Not really, I would turn on 24 frames and adjust the screen size (option in the player for 3D to adjust screen size). The biggest problem I have had is incompatible cables...make sure your HDMI cables are 1.4 certified as 3D needs the extra bandwidth these cables have.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #20

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverboy56 View Post
Not really, I would turn on 24 frames and adjust the screen size (option in the player for 3D to adjust screen size). The biggest problem I have had is incompatible cables...make sure your HDMI cables are 1.4 certified as 3D needs the extra bandwidth these cables have.
There are no HDMI 1.4 cables just high speed HDMI cables (10.2 gbps or more).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Tags
samsung 3d player