Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Blob (Blu-ray)
£9.99
6 hrs ago
Punch-Drunk Love (Blu-ray)
£9.99
5 hrs ago
Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£39.94
4 hrs ago
John Ford at Columbia, 1935-1958 (Blu-ray)
£50.00
19 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
£99.99
9 hrs ago
The Vengeance Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£23.98

Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
£23.99

Good Omens (Blu-ray)
£17.90

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
£9.94

Westworld: Season One - The Maze (Blu-ray)
£12.79
4 hrs ago
Spider-Man: 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Westworld: Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
£26.38
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #81

Feb 2010
Bramley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
Which had the 8m budget, OFITN or HOC? Because often stuff was shot in PAL SD to save money...
Our Friends had an 8 million budget, reportedly half of the channels whole budget for that year. Granted I can't find the information but a review below mentions print damage being a hindrance to the more recent DVD release, could that be a clue?

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/conten...the-north.html
Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #82
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluraySe7en View Post
Our Friends had an 8 million budget, reportedly half of the channels whole budget for that year. Granted I can't find the information but a review below mentions print damage being a hindrance to the more recent DVD release, could that be a clue?

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/conten...the-north.html
Another clue as to why it hasn't been release might simply be that House of Cards is a bigger title, it's had a big US remake with a big name film star attached (I think the US series is billed as an adaptation of both the series and book) and put simply it's a lot more iconic and has greater public awareness.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #83

Feb 2010
Bramley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
Another clue as to why it hasn't been release might simply be that House of Cards is a bigger title, it's had a big US remake with a big name film star attached (I think the US series is billed as an adaptation of both the series and book) and put simply it's a lot more iconic and has greater public awareness.
I meant the mention of print damage being a possibility that it was shot on film, as for HOC having more public awareness, only on the back of the remake before that OFITN would have the edge.

OFITN is regarded as one of the finest drama's this country has ever produced.

HOC is a great program but seems somewhat dated and mild now, save Ian Richardson's performance which is terrific, the rest is a bit pedestrian.

OFITN also has a far more stellar cast, including the future James Bond and also a future Dr Who, it's impact on British television has been far more reaching than the British HOC and I say that as being a fan of the HOC trilogy.

A good number of UK productions have been influenced by it. It's legacy echoes throughout British drama programing, it might not have the same effect overseas due to it's very British feel but here it's jewel in a broadcasting crown, so much more than HOC.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 AM   #84
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Question Ripper Street: S2

Debating on whether to get this now as it is $16.99(the best price?) at Amazon. Will it ever get lower then this?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #85
Banned

Aug 2014

Anyone interested in TV over here: I couldn't possibly recommend the Doctor Who Spearhead From Space Bluray enough.

The picture quality is fantastic. You can even see the actors sweating. The plot is one of the show's strongest. The audio is crisp and clear throughout.

Amazon have it for 6 at the moment and it is a part of their two Blurays for 10 deal. I paid about 12 for it. It was definitely worth it.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #86
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm conflicted about something.

So, Acorn have the BBC series Keeping Faith, which looks really good.

But of course, it seems there won't be a UK Blu-ray, only a DVD from Acorn UK out on 3 September.

Only Acorn US have seen fit to issue a Blu-ray, which rather bizarrely, came out last week.

I'm really conflicted here. On the one hand, I really don't want a Blu-ray that is slowed to 1080p24, but on the other hand, there is no guarantee of a German release, and I'm not sure that the series is entirely English friendly.

I hope Acorn UK can reconsider and put out a Blu-ray in the UK. I thought the series was supposed to be a massive success in the ratings?
Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #87
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Ratings success means nothing over here for TV blu ray releases. Otherwise, we'd have Line of Duty and I wouldn't have to import it from Germany......
Old 07-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

I don’t think Keeping Faith was a ratings smash in the UK. Remember it was produced by S4C the Welsh language channel so it’s a mix of Welsh and some English dialogue. So very much a niche show.

Edit : Wikipedia said the Welsh audience on BBC Wales was 300k per episode their highest local programme in 25 years (so beating Hinterland). They also got 8.5 million iplayer view requests in first 6 months after transmission, however that does not directly equate to viewers and that was across all episodes, so just over 1 million each.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep...ith_(TV_series)

Compare with Line of Duty getting almost 4 million TV viewers per episode for S1 rising to 10 million for S4.

As councilspectre says it would have got a fraction of the audience of Line of Duty and that never made it to UK BD.

I guess the closest match is Hinterland the BBC and S4C crime show also Welsh and English dialogue. Arrow only ever released that on DVD in UK in English and Welsh versions.

That did make it to Netherlands and Germany BD at least for Season 1. I have the Dutch BD and it does have English subtitles but they run throughout whole show so subtitle both the Welsh and English speaking.

To get this to shift in high volumes and be an attractive BD to BD fans, then Eve Myles needed to have got her kit off in the show to appeal to Torchwood fan boys. BTW never watched it so can’t say if this happened or not.

Last edited by malcy30; 07-13-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:31 AM   #89
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Polyband are going to release the BBC series MotherFatherSon (2019) in Germany on 28 February 2020. The series is only on DVD in the UK, US and Australia. The run time should be about 450 minutes and the two-disc Blu-ray set is currently listed as 480 (8x60 min. episodes), so hopefully it will be uncut. The audio should be DTS-HD MA and it also seems that English subtitles will be provided (though based on precedent, they may not be HoH) and that featurettes will be included as extras.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B081WRZ7GS

https://polyband.de/ceemes/?article/...ay_main_public
Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #90

Apr 2010
Aude south of France

What shocks and appalls me is why so many television series are only released on DVD in the UK. They are all now filmed in High Definition and many look glorious, so why no Blu Rays? Beggars belief.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #91
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Well twittering at Acorn got Chernobyl on Blu-ray (even if it's not so good 1080i version)

I think that's the only way of doing it, as there seems to be a disconnect between what people want and what they think we want.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #92

Apr 2010
Aude south of France

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
ITV in the UK are not interested in back catalogue on BD, reportedly after Sharpe the title they tested the market with sold poorly (worse than ITV were looking for), although not surprising as overpriced.

There HD remastering of shows like Holmes, Morse, Poirot is all about sales to HD TV channels and any overseas BD sales are a bonus. They have very little interest in DVD or BD sales in the UK these days. I guess its easier to make their money elsewhere.

They have recently allowed Network who have a licensing deal with ITV in the UK to release many of the early ITV film BDs like Ipcress File as reissues with extras this time, compared to ITV's old plain disks.

With the Brett Holmes go for the Spanish disks as they regularly go very cheaply and look amazing. They have removable Spanish subtitles. Also you need to remembered to switch audio to English from default Spanish dub.
The Spanish release of the Poirots are of exceptional quality. Superb in fact and well worth the price.
Thanks given by:
thebrid (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #93

Apr 2010
Aude south of France

I invested in a Blu Ray recorder a few years ago so record many shows live off of broadcast so I have HD copies of many shows that only get a DVD release. A great investment as it turns out! And I now live in France where many UK shows get shown in original version all in HD. In fact we have 26 HD channels which puts the small number of UK HD channels to shame.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #94

Dec 2011
LOS ANGELES, CA.

you would have thought with the success of Dr. Who worldwide recently they would have released Terry Nation's equally brilliant Blakes 7 on Bluray for its 40th Anniversay
Thanks given by:
101 steel (12-05-2019), Simon Lewis (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #95

Sep 2009

In keeping with the thread and realizing for the first time that ITV 3 HD are showing a remastered Inspector Morse...

Quote:
Dear Paul.

Thank you for your recent email.

Unfortunately, there are no plans to release the above title on Blu-ray at this time.

I do apologise for any disappointment this may cause but once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV Viewer Services.

If you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Ricky.

ITV Viewer Services Officer.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #96

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb2010 View Post
What shocks and appalls me is why so many television series are only released on DVD in the UK. They are all now filmed in High Definition and many look glorious, so why no Blu Rays? Beggars belief.
Money. I think on asking Acorn they said there was no market for this stuff on Blu-Ray in the UK, people just don't want to pay the price over DVD

As per my previous reply, Morse looks to be out, I'd like A Touch Of Frost as well. Midsomer gets US releases so I can cope, however getting correct aspect ratios on the earlier episodes would be nice instead of the crappy 14:9 crop on a 4:3 ratio that's currently on sale, same as Dalziel and Pascoe.
Thanks given by:
hagios (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #97
Banned

Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb2010 View Post
I invested in a Blu Ray recorder a few years ago so record many shows live off of broadcast so I have HD copies of many shows that only get a DVD release. A great investment as it turns out! And I now live in France where many UK shows get shown in original version all in HD. In fact we have 26 HD channels which puts the small number of UK HD channels to shame.
Same here. Thanks to my recorder I have several specials and all of the last series of Jonathan Creek on Bluray, all 5 series of Line of Duty (the German Blurays are spoilt by having only German text at the end of each series when they tell you about some of the sentences), all of the revival of Cold Feet, Derek series 2 + special, all 3 series of Ackley Bridge. Loads more including some movies that are yet to reach Bluray.

Best of all a stack of documentaries from the last 8 years of BBC4 which won't ever get a dvd release let alone a Bluray.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 AM   #98

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

We have a similar problem here in Australia, though it's quite worse.

A lot of TV shows may have their first season released on DVD, only for home video releases to be dropped altogether in their later seasons.

And very few Australian shows are released on Blu-ray (only the extremely popular rubbish tends to be released here, and even they tend to be condemned to DVD-only hell later in their run).

I have also noticed a few U.S. exclusive Blu-rays of Australian TV shows, which beggars belief as I can't imagine that there would even be enough of an audience for it, but apparently so.

But the best Aussie TV show on Blu-ray would probably have to be Danger 5, an extremely niche (and brilliant) comedy that barely rated, but has developed a devoted cult fanbase.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #99

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Network23 View Post
you would have thought with the success of Dr. Who worldwide recently they would have released Terry Nation's equally brilliant Blakes 7 on Bluray for its 40th Anniversay
I would really like to see that in HD.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #100
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I would really like to see that in HD.
And me! I'm really not bothered about Dr Who though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland