Best PC Game Deals

Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Fallout 76 (PC)
$19.99

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
$15.56

Fallout 76 (PC)
$51.01

Civilization VI (PC)
$19.72

Destiny 2 (PC)
$210.57
18 hrs ago
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
$59.99

Starcraft II (PC)
$49.99

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
$24.99

Call of Duty: WWII (PC)
$39.99

Starcraft II Battle Chest (PC)
$29.96

Sid Meierís Civilization V (PC)
$24.73

Diablo III (PC)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming

Old 09-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #401
Special Member

Mar 2011
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

If you missed a Free Dirt Rally last week on humble, you have a new chance

DiRT Rally is free to keep on Steam until Monday, September 16th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/DiRT_Rally/
Thanks given by:
Galactus (09-17-2019), Nick The Slick (09-15-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #402
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Free Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for a limited time:

Last edited by Ocean H; 09-17-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Galactus (09-17-2019), Grim Reaper (09-24-2019), Nick The Slick (09-21-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #403
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Holy free games, Batman!

Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham KNIGHT

PLUS

Batman Lego Trilogy as well

FREE - on Epic Games Store (1 week)

Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (09-24-2019), Nick The Slick (09-27-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #404
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

GOG - Freespace 2 - free for 48 hours
https://www.gog.com/
Old 09-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #405
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Everything and Metro: 2033 Redux are free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
jimidini (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #406
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
I don't see a problem even if this happened all the time when you are given literally free games.
And I actually do not trust any of these digital stores, because you don't own anything at all. I have probably spent 3-5 bucks in total on Steam, "bought" a few Humble Bundles but that's it.
"Thanks" to Steam-DRM "your" games can be taken from you any second. EGS probably does something similar.
At least on GOG you get games without any DRM attached. But it's still downloads, which I do not consider to be worth anything at all.
Almost all of my games collection is physical and actually owned by me (I do not even consider Steam, EGS, etc. to be an actual part of my games collection). Also not a single computer on the internet is really safe.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/e...tion-free-game

Endless Space Collection - free on Humble Bundle
Actually, that's not true. If you had purchased a game from Steam (for example), for argument sake, it was Alan Wake (before it was removed, which ended up being temporarily). If you needed to redownload it again while it was not on Steam, you can redownload it (it would have to be the account it was purchased on. If this is what you meant in the 1st place.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #407
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Actually, that's not true. If you had purchased a game from Steam (for example), for argument sake, it was Alan Wake (before it was removed, which ended up being temporarily). If you needed to redownload it again while it was not on Steam, you can redownload it (it would have to be the account it was purchased on. If this is what you meant in the 1st place.
What I meant was that according to Steam's ToS they can shut down whenever they want to, and you will have nothing.

https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Quote:
Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time in the event that (a) Valve ceases providing such Subscriptions to similarly situated Subscribers generally, or (b) you breach any terms of this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use). In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or improper or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees or of any unused funds in your Steam Wallet, will be granted.
Quote:
You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account.
Quote:
You will be notified by e-mail of any change to the Steam Wallet balance and usage limits within sixty (60) days before the entry into force of the change. Your continued use of your Steam Account more than thirty (30) days after the entry into force of the changes will constitute your acceptance of the changes. If you don’t agree to the changes, your only remedy is to terminate your Steam Account or to cease use of your Steam Wallet. Valve shall not have any obligation to refund any credits remaining on your Steam Wallet in this case.
and so on and so on.
Hell, it's called the "Steam SUBSCRIBER Agreement".

You don't own anything. You literally subscribed to a "service", legally speaking.
And I'm not ripping Steam specifically. All of these digital "stores" are basically the same, except maybe GOG for its avoidance of DRM.

The digital "stores" on all of these current consoles are also the same. They can shut down any time they want. They can change conditions whenever they want and so on and so on. You have no say in anything except maybe stopping using your account.

These digital "stores" should be forced by law to continue their service until the end of time. And if they shut down, it should also be required by law that the government will then take over and continue hosting the service for at the very least re-downloads. And even if this happened, they would still be worse than actually owning a game, because you can resell these. You are not allowed to sell your Steam subscriber account, and let's pretend that they will allow at some time to sell "your" games, then you will surely have to pay a fee to Valve for this "service". Hell, according to ToS Valve is allowed to even terminate your account for cheating, or proxy-ing and so on and so on. Maybe Steam considers proxying when I log in one in a different country, and according to their ToS they can terminate my account because of this.

Oh and losing content that you "purchased" this way also happens all the time. See for example the older GTA games that got "updates" that removed certain songs for all users, because Rockstar can't be bothered to pay license fees. And they remove that content even for people who "bought" it 10 years ago. Maybe there is some option in Steam to "downgrade", but why is all this nonsense even allowed. I bought GTA 3 back then for PS2 on disc and it still plays, with all the content. And I blame Valve for nonsense like this too, because they could make sure that developers are not allowed to do this. But they don't care about its users.

Last edited by jimidini; 09-26-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #408
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Yes, games can be removed from a store, but rarely are they removed from your library of purchased items. But it can happen, as mentioned in the EULA you mentioned, but most likely due to user violations and some such.

Regarding the GTA music removal, we were lucky the game itself wasn't removed from sale, because that is usually what happens when a game runs into rights and licensing issues. Anyway, some guy made a utility for GTA4 that installs the old music back into the PC version. Also, Rockstar restored the music recently to the Xbox version of GTA4. Rights and licensing can expire, but they can also be renewed.

The only thing I worry about in the digital age is a digital store itself going out of business. Microsoft E-book store was shut down a few months ago, and all user libraries that resided on the cloud were gone too. All users were refunded, but it was the kind of doomsday scenario digital users dread.

The shutdown of UltraViolet also caused some nervousness, but Movies Anywhere was there to take its place.

Steam is unlikely to shut down any time soon since it has got so big. If it were to shut down, what would be in a position to take its place? That is always on the back of my mind.

Subscription-based cloud gaming like Google Stadia or Playstation Now may interest you, since they are outright rental services. There is no "losing what you bought."
Old 09-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #409
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Phreak View Post
Yes, games can be removed from a store, but rarely are they removed from your library of purchased items. But it can happen, as mentioned in the EULA you mentioned, but most likely due to user violations and some such.
It shouldn't be legal that a company can literally take away your so called purchases because of you cheating, or using a proxy. Hacking their store would be a different matter, but that would be criminal behavior, punishable by law. Using a proxy or cheating is not criminal behavior and terminating your account and taking away all your "purchases" should not be legal.

Quote:
Regarding the GTA music removal, we were lucky the game itself wasn't removed from sale, because that is usually what happens when a game runs into rights and licensing issues.
You were lucky?
You should have bought a physical copy instead, without Steam Updates behind it.
Also you would think with all the money GTA makes, Rockstar/Take 2 should be able to afford to relicense the tracks or at the very least split it up into one version that the old buyers keep and a new version that you start selling from that point on. Which is actually even possible in Steam.

As I said, I blame Valve for this as well, simply because they allow this.

Quote:
some guy made a utility
I know, still why the hell is something like this needed?
It's absolutely unacceptable that Steam allows content to be removed, especially for existing so called "buyers".

Quote:
The only thing I worry about in the digital age is a digital store itself going out of business. Microsoft E-book store was shut down a few months ago, and all user libraries that resided on the cloud were gone too. All users were refunded, but it was the kind of doomsday scenario digital users dread.
That already happened several times.
For example Sony's PSP Digital comics "store" was shut down, and re-downloads are not possible. No refunds.
Another Playstation Mobile store was also shut down by Sony, again re-downloads not possible, no refunds. And the games behind this are of course also lost.

I'm actually waiting for them to do the same for the PS3 store. It will happen. Sooner or later.

Again, stuff like this is absolutely unacceptable, when you call it a store, where you are supposed to "buy things" from. It would be slightly different when the company shuts down, but when they can't be bothered to keep at the very least re-downloads up, they should get out of business.

Imagine buying a physical book, and then when the book store that sold you the book closes down, your physical book vanishes all of a sudden. That's insane.

Quote:
Steam is unlikely to shut down any time soon since it has got so big. If it were to shut down, what would be in a position to take its place? That is always on the back of my mind.

Subscription-based cloud gaming like Google Stadia or Playstation Now may interest you
Steam itself calls itself subscription based already. And no, I'm not interested in that, streaming is simply an extension to the current model and I think according to Steam ToS they effectively could change to that model all of a sudden, and the only thing you could do would be to stop using your account.

Quote:
since they are outright rental services. There is no "losing what you bought."
Steam is already subscription-based. You don't effectively buy anything.
Yes, legally you also don't "buy" physical games, but a license. Still when you do that, you can sell it, give it to a friend, etc. And I don't know a single digital "store" that allows you to do any of that.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #410
Expert Member

Dec 2008

If you downloaded your games before Playstation Mobile shut down, you could still play the games. The store was shut down because of poor business, so not many people were affected. If Steam were to shut down, it would NOT be due to poor business. Name me a reason Steam could shut down. To keep believing in doomsday scenarios, you gotta have a reason to do so. And if you don't want to buy, then rent. All your comments have been about the danger of buying. Any danger of renting? Or do you just not want to give money to The Man?
Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #411
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Phreak View Post
If you downloaded your games before Playstation Mobile shut down, you could still play the games.
When my old PS2 bites the bucket, I get a new one and simply use the PS2 games that I own with it and they all work fine.
Can you say the same about Playstation Mobile?

Would it be possible to create a system where such transfers would be possible without any company servers? Of course it would. They simply can't be bothered to do so. They also like having full control.

Quote:
The store was shut down because of poor business, so not many people were affected.
I don't care why any of these extremely powerful companies (Valve, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc.) shut anything down. They can easily afford to keep re-download servers up. They simply choose to not do so.
And as I previously stated, my opinion on this matter is that they should be forced to do so, by law.

They already get a way better deal out of it than physical purchases because you can't sell "your" used games anymore, which means way more profit for them. No need to create physical discs/carts. No need to care about software quality anymore, you can always release another patch. No need to ship them. No need to give some actual store a certain percentage for selling it. And so on.

But they are so cheap and customer unfriendly, that they can't be bothered to keep re-download servers up.

And hell, take a look at Valve. They basically got a monopoly on PC games, and can't be bothered to force publishers to not remove content from people, who "purchased" something before. They could easily, really easily do so, but they also chose to not do so. Instead they censor user reviews instead. Priorities.

Quote:
Name me a reason Steam could shut down.
My point is that you don't own anything on any digital store with DRM attached.
And I don't understand why you focus on shut downs. What about ownership of the company/Steam? What about you getting your account blocked? What about you getting the content you previously purchased removed without refunds?
You think Gabe cares about all of the Steam users? If he did, he wouldn't allow that only negative reviews that go against their income are censored. He wouldn't have tried that paid user modified content stuff and so on.

Quote:
To keep believing in doomsday scenarios
For me some digital "store" shutting down is not a "doomsday scenario", sorry.
Maybe it would be for you, for me it isn't.

Quote:
All your comments have been about the danger of buying.
You don't purchase anything in these digital download stores (except maybe GOG). What you are doing is get a license / rent / subscribe to "services". You don't own these digital games, if you did, you would be able to sell them all by yourself, which you can't (without breaing ToS, which would be a reason to terminate the account aka destroy "your" belongings.

Last edited by jimidini; 09-27-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #412
Expert Member

Dec 2008

But it DOES take a sizable doomsday scenario or multiple ones for the public to be outraged enough to effect any changes. It's like global warming. If the temperature suddenly jumped 10 degrees this year, the public would be unanimous overnight. But a tiny increase in temperature every year won't do it. For the changes you are suggesting to occur, you need a digital apocalypse to occur. And yes, the public is more concerned about SHUTDOWN of digital stores than ownership. And yet shutdowns don't occur nearly often enough. Digital goods are popular because of convenient content *delivery*. The delivery method is the most prized thing for consumers, more so than the content itself, more so than the need for ownership. If your main beef is not being able to re-sell, then know that no one buys discs anymore. I used to sell movie discs every week, but now can't sell one in months.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (09-27-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #413
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Minit is free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (10-18-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #414
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Surviving Mars is free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (10-10-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #415
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

>observer_ and Alan Wake's American Nightmare are free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (10-18-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #416
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Q.U.B.E. 2 and Layers of Fear are free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
ColinD (10-25-2019), Galactus (10-27-2019), Grim Reaper (10-25-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #417
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

SOMA and Costume Quest are free on the Epic Games store:

Old 11-08-2019, 02:06 AM   #418
Special Member

Dec 2009
Canada

Nuclear Throne and RUINER are free on the Epic Games store:

Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (11-10-2019)