Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
10 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97
 
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Tremors 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
8 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
 
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

The Sony UBP-X800M2 offers Dolby Vision HDR with SACD and DVD-Audio playback. This is a main stream low cost Blu-ray player with a list price of $300. In theory this player should be offered by Walmart and Target in the future. The only other Sony Blu-ray player for 2019 that is better is the Sony UBP-X1100ES that has more output jacks.


Picture and sound quality between the UBP-X800M2 and UBP-X1100ES is exactly the same.


https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ers/ubp-x800m2

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-17-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: UPDATED LIST PRICE
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
MisterXDTV MisterXDTV is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
The Sony UBP-X800M2 offers Dolby Vision HDR with SACD and DVD-Audio playback. This is a main stream low cost Blu-ray player with a list price of $400. In theory this player should be offered by Walmart and Target in the future. The only other Sony Blu-ray player for 2019 that is better is the Sony UBP-X1100ES that has more output jacks.


Picture and sound quality between the UBP-X800M2 and UBP-X1100ES is exactly the same.


https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ers/ubp-x800m2
Prices in Europe right now (Amazon.it)

X800M2 = €348 (coming in May)
X800 = €219
X700 = €184
X500 = €144
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
DVD Josh DVD Josh is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
DVD Josh's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
222
933
229
16
373
81
Default

Looking forward to comparisons between this and the x700. I'm definitely interested.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Looking forward to comparisons between this and the x700. I'm definitely interested.

The new model offers DVD-AUDIO playback and has better build quality when compared to the x700.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
veyron veyron is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2014
Default

Count me in, have the X700, but wonder if the 800m2 will be 'cured' of the known 4K freezing problems in UHD 4K playback of discs?
Will have the 800 as main, and let the 700 retire my Oppo BDP-83, as my reg.A blu-ray player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron View Post
Count me in, have the X700, but wonder if the 800m2 will be 'cured' of the known 4K freezing problems in UHD 4K playback of discs?
Will have the 800 as main, and let the 700 retire my Oppo BDP-83, as my reg.A blu-ray player.

A couple of family members that I know own two 2017 Sony UBP-X800's, and they have never had any problems playing optical discs including 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.


The UBP-X800M2 well have a faster processor for Dolby Vision HDR and that is one of the reasons for the $100 increase in price over the old model. The other reason for the price increase is because of inflation as we have seen all Blu-ray players go up in price between 2018 to 2019.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bill C (04-07-2019), EManT2200 (04-05-2019), veyron (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default



Hopefully the new 2019 UBP-X1100ES and UBP-X800M2 well offer the following features with a firmware update


Sony hopefully in the future well issue a HDR10+ firmware update to play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs that are encoded with HDR10+. That is a feature that Panasonic offers on their latest 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players.

In addition, the new Sony Blu-ray players well hopefully offer Dolby Vision HDR streaming for both Netflix and VUDU. The Roku Ultra only offers HDR10 and people that want Dolby Vision HDR streaming have to own select flat panels with that built in feature. At launch or with a firmware update hopefully Dolby Vision HDR streaming well be supported over HDMI 2.0b.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #8
gkolb gkolb is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
gkolb's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA
440
1041
142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post

Hopefully the new 2019 UBP-X1100ES and UBP-X800M2 well offer the following features with a firmware update


Sony hopefully in the future well issue a HDR10+ firmware update to play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs that are encoded with HDR10+. That is a feature that Panasonic offers on their latest 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players.

In addition, the new Sony Blu-ray players well hopefully offer Dolby Vision HDR streaming for both Netflix and VUDU. The Roku Ultra only offers HDR10 and people that want Dolby Vision HDR streaming have to own select flat panels with that built in feature. At launch or with a firmware update hopefully Dolby Vision HDR streaming well be supported over HDMI 2.0b.
Hmmm, not sure if you were calling out HDMI 2.0b in your post?

You know the player will already have that activated due to the DV on disc capability, right? If there is an HDR10+ update to this player down the road, I think that 2.0b then gets tweaked a little (or maybe 2.0b handles 10+ just the way it is already.)

Anyway, HDR10+ here in the states will only be available to some recent Samsung displays and recent Philips displays. A couple of Panasonic TV's can also handle 10+, depending on the countries where they are sold (like Canada, eh!).

If the player does get DV streaming enabled, all the hardware connectivity to the displays is already in place AFAIK.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
DVD Josh DVD Josh is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
DVD Josh's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
222
933
229
16
373
81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
The new model offers DVD-AUDIO playback and has better build quality when compared to the x700.
That's nice and all but I care much much much more about video performance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
MooneyRara MooneyRara is offline
Moderator
 
MooneyRara's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
610
1907
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Hmmm, not sure if you were calling out HDMI 2.0b in your post?

You know the player will already have that activated due to the DV on disc capability, right? If there is an HDR10+ update to this player down the road, I think that 2.0b then gets tweaked a little (or maybe 2.0b handles 10+ just the way it is already.)

Anyway, HDR10+ here in the states will only be available to some recent Samsung displays and recent Philips displays. A couple of Panasonic TV's can also handle 10+, depending on the countries where they are sold (like Canada, eh!).

If the player does get DV streaming enabled, all the hardware connectivity to the displays is already in place AFAIK.
HDMI 2.0b is a largely insignificant upgrade. Just added support for HLG.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #11
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Hmmm, not sure if you were calling out HDMI 2.0b in your post?

You know the player will already have that activated due to the DV on disc capability, right? If there is an HDR10+ update to this player down the road, I think that 2.0b then gets tweaked a little (or maybe 2.0b handles 10+ just the way it is already.)

Anyway, HDR10+ here in the states will only be available to some recent Samsung displays and recent Philips displays. A couple of Panasonic TV's can also handle 10+, depending on the countries where they are sold (like Canada, eh!).

If the player does get DV streaming enabled, all the hardware connectivity to the displays is already in place AFAIK.

Currently all Dolby Vision HDR Blu-ray players on the market use HDMI 2.0b. It is my understanding that Panasonic on their Blu-ray players also uses HDMI 2.0b for HDR10+. Some studios have released their 4K Blu-ray titles with HDR10+ so hopefully Sony well offers a HDR10+ firmware upgrade for people that own displays with HDR10+ capability.


In the future there might be some Blu-ray players that use HDMI 2.1, but all that is needed is HDMI 2.0b to do HDR10+ and Dolby Vision HDR. There was a rumor going around that HDR10+ required HDMI 2.1, however Panasonic and Samsung are currently doing HDR10+ over HDMI 2.0b.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #12
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default

actually .....

Dolby Vision 'only requires' HDMI 1.4

HDR10+ - - - 'for myself' that's 'unclear', whether HDMI 2.1 is required for '100% performance' (definitely arguable - which i entirely understand - so, let's not argue - ok?)



Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
In the future there might be some Blu-ray players that use HDMI 2.1, but all that is needed is HDMI 2.0b to do HDR10+ and Dolby Vision HDR. There was a rumor going around that HDR10+ required HDMI 2.1, however Panasonic and Samsung are currently doing HDR10+ over HDMI 2.0b.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #13
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2011
Default

It's a pity that according to sources this player won't auto play Dolby Vision. That is a serious pain. My tv (LG G6) and Apple TV 4k both auto play Dolby Vision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
gkolb gkolb is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
gkolb's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA
440
1041
142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
It's a pity that according to sources this player won't auto play Dolby Vision. That is a serious pain. My tv (LG G6) and Apple TV 4k both auto play Dolby Vision.
This player is supposed to debut in May.
Who’s your source?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
This player is supposed to debut in May.
Who’s your source?
Someone on the AVF forum. Screen shot of the instruction manual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

When playing native 4K Ultra HD optical discs that require HDCP 2.2 for 4K resolution (downscale to 1080P uses standard HDCP), then Dolby Vision HDR requires a minimum of HDMI 2.0b 100% of the time. The Sony's main HDMI output is HDMI 2.0b.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #17
Cortiz Cortiz is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Sunshine State
402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Someone on the AVF forum. Screen shot of the instruction manual.
I think is premature to start lashing out at Sony for a player that hasn't even come out yet. The Panny DV option is setup as on/off. Not Auto option. Who's to tell that option on the Sony won't act the same way?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
I think is premature to start lashing out at Sony for a player that hasn't even come out yet. The Panny DV option is setup as on/off. Not Auto option. Who's to tell that option on the Sony won't act the same way?
How does that work? If you turn it on it plays everything in Dolby Vision until you turn it off?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #19
WutDaFunk WutDaFunk is offline
Member
 
Mar 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
How does that work? If you turn it on it plays everything in Dolby Vision until you turn it off?
It still automatically switches if you have it set to "on", but it's just on/off in the settings itself. Think of it as enable/disable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #20
CBCstillmatic CBCstillmatic is offline
Active Member
 
CBCstillmatic's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
5
228
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
How does that work? If you turn it on it plays everything in Dolby Vision until you turn it off?
If like the X700 then yes when you turn it “on” it will force Dolby vision for all discs. I don’t use mine to stream anything so cannot comment there. However with DV enabled it will flag the TV into DV mode on all 4K and standard blu-rays. If you want to watch HDR10 you have to manually turn DV off in the settings menu.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.