Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
22 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Justice Society: World War II 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #14481
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
I’ve also been hearing the death of CD for more than a decade now.
Best Buy killed off their CD racks fairly recently, so it really is not doing all that well.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #14482
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Vinyl is outselling CD for the first time in like decades. But both combined still amount to a fraction of what streaming earns though.
Thanks given by:
avs commenter (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #14483
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Vinyl is outselling CD for the first time in like decades. But both combined still amount to a fraction of what streaming earns though.
That's true, but I kind of understand why that happens with music though. It's more comfortable to have it when jogging, or when you're on the road (instead of taking hundreds of CDs or records). That's not the same case with movies though...
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #14484
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
That's true, but I kind of understand why that happens with music though. It's more comfortable to have it when jogging, or when you're on the road (instead of taking hundreds of CDs or records). That's not the same case with movies though...
I guess there must be some other reason then why video streaming is projekted to be worth $125 billion by 2025 while physical media's double-digit billions continues to dwindle...
Old 02-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #14485
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2018

Quote:
I guess there must be some other reason then why video streaming is projekted to be worth $125 billion by 2025 while physical media's double-digit billions continues to dwindle...
I honestly don't know what's the reason, I don't know what people find in streaming, it's not like they are going to watch a movie while driving or doing other activities or chores. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't buy movies
Old 02-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #14486
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2018

Quote:
huh? You don't think it's convenient to have all your movies at your fingertips on one device? You can easily pull up during a plane ride or cast to your TV with a press of a button? Yes, it's nearly the same as the convenience of digital music.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #14487
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
huh? You don't think it's convenient to have all your movies at your fingertips on one device? You can easily pull up during a plane ride or cast to your TV with a press of a button? Yes, it's nearly the same as the convenience of digital music.
Yes, it's convenient, but not "nearly the same as the convenience of digital music". It's really only a matter of pressing a button vs putting a disc on and pressing a button. If people like watching films during a plane ride or whatever on a 5-6 inch display then good for them, that's not what discs are for I guess.
But let's see where you can listen to music but nor really watch films:
Jogging
Driving
Traveling
Working out
Working while at the office
At the beach
Etc...

With movies:
Watching while someone else is driving? Doesn't really feel comfortable IDK
At a plane? Sure why not?
At the hotel? Why would anyone waste their time on something they can do at home while on vacation?

Music is really something that doesn't consume much time and you can do it while doing other activities so no it is not "nearly the same as the convenience of digital music".
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (02-23-2021), Steedeel (03-06-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #14488
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

You've seen how people literally walk the streets with their eyes fixed onto their phones, yes? Then there's people who commute to work and watch stuff on their phones. Christ, when I had jury duty years ago I resorted to watching Top Gun on my phone when we got sent out for the umpteenth time as they debated a point of law. And while I get carsickness (as a passenger) if I can't focus on anything but the road, I know *so* many other people who could be sat upside down and back to front while watching their phone and not feel a thing.

You're fixated on this idea of movies not being as 'portable' as music but people do actually do other things than working out or driving, and yes: people love to 'cast' or stream movies to other devices when they're away from home. Check the main Star Wars UHD thread and you'll find these regular updates from a cinematographer on a long shoot who's been watching the SW films on his laptop during his downtime.

And an entire generation of people is growing up watching everything on their phones, somehow they find the time to watch all them YouTube eejits and they're also consuming movies and TV shows in the same way. If it can be crammed onto a device you keep in your pocket then people will find a way to consume it, streaming video hasn't become as big as it has just because people are crowded around their TVs at home.

Last edited by Geoff D; 02-22-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
avs commenter (02-22-2021), lgans316 (02-22-2021), MechaGodzilla (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #14489
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Yes, it's convenient, but not "nearly the same as the convenience of digital music". It's really only a matter of pressing a button vs putting a disc on and pressing a button. If people like watching films during a plane ride or whatever on a 5-6 inch display then good for them, that's not what discs are for I guess.
Jogging
Driving
Traveling
Working out
At the beach
Etc...

With movies:
At the hotel? Why would anyone waste their time on something they can do at home while on vacation?

Music is really something that doesn't consume much time and you can do it while doing other activities so no it is not "nearly the same as the convenience of digital music".
My digital library (iTunes/MoviesAnywhere) now has about 1,200 films (US/UK/CA) which is almost same as my disc collection (BD/UHD).

I don't like to watch anything except YouTube clips and WhatsApp shares on tiny displays.

When you have a huge library and want to randomly scroll through your collection, this is where having them on digital platforms comes handy as you can simply scroll or search and hit the play button (similar to having rips on NAS drive except that the infra is owned by someone else).

Convenience and less cluttering plays a major part here. Digital has helped soothe the grumpy wife who despises the very site of discs.

As of now, I am super selective with physical. Only buying the ones that are not available on digital. My wallet and shelf has taken less pounding. All of these for a small sacrifice in 4K AV quality.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #14490
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2018

Quote:
Jogging
Driving
Traveling
Working out
At the beach
Etc...

With movies:

Sorry but your list is kinda terrible. Does working out include treadmill or stationary bike? Does traveling include the bus or train? If you can read a book at the beach you can sure as hell watch a movie/show.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #14491
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
You've seen how people literally walk the streets with their eyes fixed onto their phones, yes? Then there's people who commute to work and watch stuff on their phones. Christ, when I had jury duty years ago I resorted to watching Top Gun on my phone when we got sent out for the umpteenth time as they debated a point of law. And while I get carsickness (as a passenger) if I can't focus on anything but the road, I know *so* many other people who could be sat upside down and back to front while watching their phone and not feel a thing.

You're fixated on this idea of movies not being as 'portable' as music but people do actually do other things than working out or driving, and yes: people love to 'cast' or stream movies to other devices when they're away from home. Check the main Star Wars UHD thread and you'll find these regular updates from a cinematographer on a long shoot who's been watching the SW films on his laptop during his downtime.

And an entire generation of people is growing up watching everything on their phones, somehow they find the time to watch all them YouTube eejits and they're also consuming movies and TV shows in the same way. If it can be crammed onto a device you keep in your pocket then people will find a way to consume it, streaming video hasn't become as big as it has just because people are crowded around their TVs at home.
Yeah, it's really common. I've observed my sister watching movies/shows on her phone with her kids. She's 46, and the eldest of my siblings. It's not a concept that appeals to me at all at 32, but then I'm so not a typical representation of neither my generation nor human beings in general, really. I don't even enjoy music as a portable experience; I like to focus all my senses on my surroundings when I'm outside.

This is the future, and we can all have our opinions on that and how it may affect how people experience and process the media they consume, but it is what it is. One fear that I think is unfounded though is the suggestion that the small screens will take over completely. TVs are still selling, and the trend has been bigger, not smaller. I think it's comparable to when music went portable many decades before movies; it's just become one more way people experience the medium, but they still go to concerts and listen at home via computers and stereo systems and so on as well.

Ultimately it doesn't bother me how other people choose to consume media as long as I'm able to do it the way I prefer, and I think that will always remain the case. Well, aside from physical media existing forever, of course.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #14492
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'm not a 'music on the go' person either for the exact same reasons, I hate being cocooned from what's going on around me.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #14493
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
I'm not a 'music on the go' person either for the exact same reasons, I hate being cocooned from what's going on around me.
Can be downright dangerous in certain situations. Once I was out taking one of my nightly walks, at one point I was walking along the side of the road and a bus came speeding past me, passing within arm's reach. Had I worn headphones with music blaring in my ears, I likely wouldn't even have heard it approach from behind, and who knows if I'd taken a step to the side not thinking about anyone potentially driving very close to where I was.

One could name many other potential examples, but that's one personal, relatively recent experience. And people do get in accidents all the time because of such distractions. Cocoon time is for home!
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #14494
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Jogging
Driving
Traveling
Working out
At the beach
Etc...

With movies:

If you can watch a movie while you are working out...you are not really working out. For those that would equate a work out video to a movie, it's apples and oranges. I'm not even a fan of a work out video...there's no feedback to one's form etc. that a in-person trainer can provide in a group/individual setting.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #14495
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Arrow HDR on Netflix

... Click me ^

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 02-23-2021 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 AM   #14496
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
I’ve also been hearing the death of CD for more than a decade now.
more perspective on an even older format from the Times – IMMORTALITY? -
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/s...TEk-wcoM_MypjY
Old 02-23-2021, 12:33 AM   #14497

Apr 2007

Quote:
never changes, does it?
, as there may be more intervention
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 AM   #14498

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Can be downright dangerous in certain situations.
Worst for me is music-listening walkers or joggers suddenly veering over in front of you when you’re coming up from behind them on a bike on a relatively narrow bike trail despite you giving them a courteous shout-out because they can’t hear you. Some are embarrassed when realizing they almost caused a collision, but a fair share show no remorse but rather a sense of entitlement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
I've observed my sister watching movies/shows on her phone with her kids. She's 46, and the eldest of my siblings.
b.t.w. as I note your location, follow-up to a post I made last Friday night -
We found (viewing on a fairly large sized TV, the first Swedish Netflix Original feature to be INTENSE -

Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (02-24-2021), mrtickleuk (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:47 AM   #14499

Apr 2007

Where’s ray0414? Your “1st choice”, and I’d suspect many here , has been quite active - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1869101/
and remains a beauty.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:58 AM   #14500
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
b.t.w. as I note your location, follow-up to a post I made last Friday night -
We found (viewing on a fairly large sized TV, the first Swedish Netflix Original feature to be INTENSE -
We enjoyed the film. Didn't see the reveal behind the Red Dot.

Recommend: "I Care A Lot" with Rosamund Pike. Very Funny dark comedy. The ending reminded me of
[Show spoiler]"Layer Cake" white suit and all.

If you have Hulu: "Nomadland" maybe my favorite movie of the year. It has the authenticity of a documentary. why? Most of the "actors" are actually non-actors playing themselves.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology