Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$23.30
1 day ago
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$15.72

Train to Busan (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray)
$13.99
5 hrs ago
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Rawhead Rex (Blu-ray)
$24.35

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.51
1 day ago
Coming to America 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.49
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 03-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas
Default Dumb/clumsy ways you have damaged your steelbooks

So, I've been pretty exhausted today. I was searching for an old blu-ray player we were going to use as backup. I found it in our closet close to where I keep my movies. I happened to have a few movies on the bed. Sure enough, I set the blu-ray player on top of the Thor R. steelbook

It only made a tiny scratch, and I'm too tired to even stress about it.

Just made me want to hear other stories...if you guys had damaged your own steelbooks in dumb, clumsy way
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

I dropped three steelbooks on top of my Target exclusive Django Unchained steelbook. Three nasty dents on the front of it are a constant reminder of that night.

I also damaged a spine of a steelbook that will remain anonymous cuz I think I’d get hate mail because of it. One of my most expensive steelbooks was the guinea pig for removing a spine using the boiling water / water vapor method. I was drunk and way too cocky, and now it’s all bent to hell because it wasn’t hot enough to soften the glue. That spine sticks out like a sore thumb because it’s mangled to hell and back and doesn’t even attach flush to the plastic. A hair dryer is the best way to remove a spine.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2012
Sydney Australia

I have never damaged a steelbook, even though I have had my wall of steelbooks collapse a couple of times due to being stacked on top of one another.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2014

Silly things happen to me. I tend to toss them like a frisbee or use them when I run out of baseballs at the batting cages.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2010
Seattle

My old ikea movie shelving before i built a custom walnut setup for my collection., when you combined multiple units together it used a lag screw essentially to do so, and said screw scratched up my lone survivor, and hobbit steelbook before i noticed it was doing it. Ended up coating it with a black timted rubber cement which solved issue.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Expert Member

May 2016

Opened up my X-Men: Apocalypse SteelBook to inspect it, and it was mint. I then set it on the floor. Sitting in my computer chair, I then proceeded to open my X-Men: First Class SteelBook...which promptly slipped out on my hand and landed on top on Apocalypse. The corner hit, causing a pretty nice sized divot.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Oct 2014
Finland

Dropped my Salem's Lot from the coffee table!!! Weird how easily the cover is scratched. Luckily only a small line, but in such a classic cover!!!! I can still sleep at night though. I have preserved most of my steels in those plastic protectors, but was thinking that maybe even that is too hard for those sissy steels...
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
New York / Steelbook™ - 481

Never happened. I've treated every single one like they're extremely easy to dent tin.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Aug 2014
Unhappy

I really didn't want to relive the dumbest moment of my collecting life, but about a year and a half ago I had a complete disaster happen...

I had just built a few new standing shelves for my collection and I had all my movies piled up on the floor nearby. Obviously I didn't want my precious steelbok collection on the floor piled up with the rest of them, so I neatly layed them down in rows on a card table I had set up in front of the shelves.

I was feeling really excited and proud of my new shelving and had just moved them into position against the wall in front of this card table. I thought I could just quickly throw some TV shows up on the first standing shelf to play around with how I wanted to sort them. I ended up getting called up stairs and after about a minute I heard a really loud crash...

I completely forgot to bolt the shelves to the wall The standing shelf fell right over from the weight of the TV shows. The top shelf slammed right into a long row of steelbooks and basically crushed them all in half. The TV shows dented a few more that were lined up above the first row.

I probably ruined 6 or 7 steelbooks completely. I only was able to replace one or two of them and just decided to live with the condition of the rest.

R.I.P. Saving Private Ryan, Star Trek (only metalpaks but still), First Blood, Highlander, Resident Evil 4 (or 5?), Wolf of Wall Street and some more that don't come to mind. I was nervous about my steelbooks before but now I treat each one like a newborn baby.

And every shelf is double bolted to the wall...
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (04-17-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Dropped my Salem's Lot from the coffee table!!! Weird how easily the cover is scratched. Luckily only a small line, but in such a classic cover!!!! I can still sleep at night though. I have preserved most of my steels in those plastic protectors, but was thinking that maybe even that is too hard for those sissy steels...
I just ordered the steelbook. I think I'd cry.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #11

Jan 2010
Burlington, NC

I love the look of steelbooks but I actively avoid them because for some reason I can own ancient laserdiscs that still look brand new, but within 5 minutes of getting a steelbook home it gets dropped/scratched/something. It's a curse!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

Sep 2011
Stoneham, Canada

Felt from the sub (vibrations) while playing the movie
Old 04-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

I've dropped they live onto wreck it Ralph.

Thankfully only a slight nick on the front of WiR. Well I think it was that. It might have came with the nick. No dents thankfully
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries