Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (1 hour left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Megabeast Investigator Juspion (Blu-ray)
$35.37

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England
United Kingdom Humans (Channel 4)

Did anyone catch this last night?

I thought it was quite good. Nothing particularly original as yet (very similar to I, Robot/A.I.), but certainly better than the dross they usually put on on a Sunday night.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I'm enjoying it, it's not Ex-Machina, but it shows promise.

I'm annoyed we'll only be getting the DVD in August and not a Blu-ray though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

It was OK but it'll have to improve to justify the staggering amount of hype. This episode was very middle class, the working class who used to do these kinds of jobs appear to have vanished completely. It would have been nice if some channel had bought the Swedish original Real Humans which doesn't seem to have an English friendly blu ray.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
It was OK but it'll have to improve to justify the staggering amount of hype. This episode was very middle class, the working class who used to do these kinds of jobs appear to have vanished completely. It would have been nice if some channel had bought the Swedish original Real Humans which doesn't seem to have an English friendly blu ray.
Yeah, it feels a bit overstuffed subplot, so it seems like there will be little amount of room to really diverge from everything else already in the genre and deliver some major twists and turns. Like mention, Ex Machina managed to establish more stakes and suspense in the same amount of time as this has to just set up characters.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
I'm enjoying it, it's not Ex-Machina,
I hope not, i can't be the only one sick of the whole "Machines will deceive us and will screw over humans at the first opportunity" Cliché.

I'd like to see androids develop empathy and real feelings
Old 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
I hope not,
[Show spoiler]i can't be the only one sick of the whole "Machines will deceive us and will screw over humans at the first opportunity" Cliché.

I'd like to see androids develop empathy and real feelings
Maybe put that in a spoiler for those who haven't seen Ex Machina.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Tomorrow night's episode looks quite good. It looks like we'll see Anita get even more attached to the daughter.

Last edited by tigertron; 06-21-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Channel 4’s sci-fi thriller Humans has become the broadcaster’s biggest original drama hit since the Camomile Lawn more than 20 years ago.

The £12 million fantasy series, which stars William Hurt, Gemma Chan, Katherine Parkinson and The Thick Of It’s Rebecca Front, had a consolidated audience of 6.1 million viewers, a 23% share of the audience, for its opening episode.

You have to go back to 1992 – a pre-digital age when most homes had only four channels in the UK – to the last time an originated Channel 4 drama had a bigger audience.

An episode of The Camomile Lawn, a star-studded adaptation of Mary Wesley’s novel starring Felicity Kendal, Claire Bloom and Jennifer Ehle, had 7.2 million viewers (31%).

A co-production with US broadcaster AMC, maker of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, Humans explores the blurring of the lines between humans and machines, so-called domestic “Synths”.

Executive producer Derek Wax said the drama had proved popular because it “deals with universal themes. It never felt like science fiction to me, it felt like a story exploring what it means to be human”.

Wax said: “A lot of science fiction takes place in a hugely futuristic landscape and we wanted it to be in a parallel present with just one twist. Instead of a nightmare vision where robots were taking over, we wanted the jury to be out, for the audience to be torn.”

Torn, that is, between the “attractions of having someone in the house who can do all the menial functions and make our life easier, and the costs and implications that may come with that”.

The series, which combines family drama with action thriller, may also have benefitted by coinciding with a surge in interest in artificial intelligence and technology’s impact on the human race.

Wax said: “The scenario feels very prescient. We live in a world where we are more and more dependent on technology from the phones we check every five minutes to the automated machines we deal with every day.”

Made by Kudos, producer of Broadchurch and Life on Mars, Humans was written by Spooks writers Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley based on a Swedish TV series, Real Humans.

Hollywood star Hurt is no stranger to some of the issues tackled by the series, having previously starred in Steven Spielberg’s 2001 film exploring sentient machines in A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

The drama has not yet been recommissioned for a second series but its ratings performance suggests its return is likely.

The Channel 4 series began with an overnight audience of just over 4 million viewers two weeks ago. The consolidated audience includes people who recorded it and watched it over the subsequent seven days.

The overnight audience for the second episode on Sunday dropped, although not markedly by current standards, by around 20% to 3.2 million viewers.

Humans had more than twice the overnight audience of BBC1’s Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell, which was on at the same time and was watched by just 1.6 million viewers, a third of its launch audience five weeks ago.

It brings an end to BBC1’s successful Sunday night drama run, a slot previously occupied by its big-rating Poldark and JK Rowling adaptation, A Casual Vacancy.

Piers Wenger, head of drama at Channel 4, said: “It asks questions of the contemporary world like all good drama should but Humans never fails to be entertaining as well. It’s a thrilling ride.”

Channel 4 has had several acclaimed dramas in recent months and two which began with overnight audiences of around 3 million or more.

However, neither Indian Summers, which began with 2.9 million, or Paul Abbott’s much acclaimed No Offence, with 2.5 million its biggest midweek drama launch for three years, managed to hold onto their opening night audiences.

Channel 4 said the first episode of Humans also achieved a 31.8% share of 16-34s and 25.6% share of ABC1s.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...P=share_btn_tw
I'm surprised the show has been doing so well, considering it's sci-fi.

I wonder how this show will do over in the US on AMC?

Preview for next Sunday's episode:

Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

I got a little more into it this week now I'm getting the direction of the show, but still little has really happened other than
[Show spoiler]blonde synth escaping the brothel
, last week's cliffhanger overall led to nothing and going from next weeks description and the trailer, this weeks cliffhanger will have the same lack of consequence.

Just one question,
[Show spoiler]is Leo a synth made out of human flesh? When he was stabbed the guy plugged him up to the lights and seemingly charged him up, didn't quite get it.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Just one question,
[Show spoiler]is Leo a synth made out of human flesh? When he was stabbed the guy plugged him up to the lights and seemingly charged him up, didn't quite get it.
[Show spoiler]That thought had crossed my mind, but my best guess was he was trying to perform some sort of defibrillation on Leo. Not sure why he didn't try CPR first...
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
[Show spoiler]That thought had crossed my mind, but my best guess was he was trying to perform some sort of defibrillation on Leo. Not sure why he didn't try CPR first...
That's what I thought originally, but
[Show spoiler]it looked like he pulled that wire from out of his wound, and it would make sense in how he referred to the other synths as his family.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Power Member

Jun 2015
Scotland

Gonna start watching this tonight. Been hearing good things.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

Finding this a bit 'meh' so far. Not enough is happening really. I like Anita's story (
[Show spoiler]the teenage boy trying to touch her up while she was asleep was super-creepy
) and I think Rebecca Front is perfectly cast as the 'nurse-bot', but I'm not yet interested in what Merlin and the blonde are doing. Hoping it picks up the pace a bit in ep 3.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
Power Member

Jun 2015
Scotland

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes a lot. Thought the acting was all superb and the story while only partially explored seems interesting enough. Reading the rating for the show is very surprising considering how badly Utopia did just a year ago. Okay different series' completely but it's in the same boat in my eyes. Glad the composer for Utopia is doing this as well though, the soundtrack has been brilliant so far.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
Special Member

Jun 2012

Got both on sky plus but not got round to watching it yet.
As it's an AMC coproduction I'm guessing a U.S. Blu Ray will be released at some point,hate the DVD only option
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodslaw View Post
Got both on sky plus but not got round to watching it yet.
As it's an AMC coproduction I'm guessing a U.S. Blu Ray will be released at some point,hate the DVD only option
It does suck that the UK isn't getting a Blu-ray. I pre-ordered the DVD, but if we see a US Blu-ray release then I'll double dip, provided it's region free.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

I know I keep harping on every time their's a new episode, but I feel like I'm going the only one who's thinking the show is just really slow going. We're three episodes in and the main story with the family is yet to actually get anywhere. The wife is suspicious of Anita, the Husband's totally cool with it, cycle goes round and round. I also thought it was daft that the
[Show spoiler]son was so infatuated with the robot due to fancying her a bit that he felt to rush off on his bike to stop them. He only tried to slip her the finger, unless I missed something from the previous episode.
It was also the first time this episode I feel like I wanted the family to get killed off, I get they're supposed to be a bit unlikeable, but they all seem oblivious to their behaviour towards others. Possibly a statement that technology is blinding us to potential emotional response, but we're three hours in and we're still rocking the same cradle from the first episode.

Other than that, the subplots themselves have been steadily moving, I mainly liking William Hurt's plotline and the
[Show spoiler]killer sex slave bot's
narrative both seem the most interesting and unique. Weakest subplot is Neil Maskell and his wife, which literally couldn't be played any sillier and less subtle if you tried. Regardless it'll all come down to how the show pulls all it's strands together and start pushing more buttons, which looks like it'll start happening next week. For what it's worth, I am liking the show, I'd just wish it'd be moving along a bit briskier so that we're not ending in a place that most stories like this reach.

On the flipside, does anyone know how this performed in the U.S. last night? I'm hoping well, we could do with more collaborations like this with the states, and Channel 4 are top or the Sci-fi Drama game out of the rest of the UK channels.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

I'm starting to find that family really annoying and am beginning to wish Anita would butcher the lot of them. William Hurt is the only one keeping me interested, though his character doesn't seem short of a bob or two so I don't know why he doesn't just tell the NHS to stuff their robot jailor. Why would any designer install genitals on robots? Or are there only naughty bits on special perv models for brothels while all the others are as Ken and Barbie.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I know I keep harping on every time their's a new episode, but I feel like I'm going the only one who's thinking the show is just really slow going. We're three episodes in and the main story with the family is yet to actually get anywhere. The wife is suspicious of Anita, the Husband's totally cool with it, cycle goes round and round. I also thought it was daft that the
[Show spoiler]son was so infatuated with the robot due to fancying her a bit that he felt to rush off on his bike to stop them. He only tried to slip her the finger, unless I missed something from the previous episode.
It was also the first time this episode I feel like I wanted the family to get killed off, I get they're supposed to be a bit unlikeable, but they all seem oblivious to their behaviour towards others. Possibly a statement that technology is blinding us to potential emotional response, but we're three hours in and we're still rocking the same cradle from the first episode.

Other than that, the subplots themselves have been steadily moving, I mainly liking William Hurt's plotline and the
[Show spoiler]killer sex slave bot's
narrative both seem the most interesting and unique. Weakest subplot is Neil Maskell and his wife, which literally couldn't be played any sillier and less subtle if you tried. Regardless it'll all come down to how the show pulls all it's strands together and start pushing more buttons, which looks like it'll start happening next week. For what it's worth, I am liking the show, I'd just wish it'd be moving along a bit briskier so that we're not ending in a place that most stories like this reach.

On the flipside, does anyone know how this performed in the U.S. last night? I'm hoping well, we could do with more collaborations like this with the states, and Channel 4 are top or the Sci-fi Drama game out of the rest of the UK channels.
I agree, I didn't even watch the third ep because I got thoroughly bored. Figured I might catch up with it on 4OD at some point, but honestly the pace was so slow I might not even bother.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
Power Member

Jun 2015
Scotland

Just watched the third ep. and I must say I am enjoying it. It does have a slow pace but it's not season 3 Hannibal slow. I think it's building to something now and I've read it is to get darker wither that means better who knows. I'll continue to watch though as I said I've liked it so far, there's some small character development in there but it does have a lot of characters to keep track of as well but I'm hoping this turns out to a be a decent watch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Tags
humans