Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
20 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.19
5 hrs ago
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$199.99

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.29
4 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$12.79
21 hrs ago
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82
17 hrs ago
Strays (Blu-ray)
$16.79
6 hrs ago
Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England
United Kingdom The Fall

Had a look and couldn't find a thread for this (feel free to point me in the right direction if there is one).

Anyone watching?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Default The Fall - Series 1 - Series 3 - Excellent!

Recently watched The Fall Series 1 & 2 on Blu, and Series 3 via streaming. Incredible BBC thriller. Surprised it hasn't gotten more discussion here. It didn't take that long to watch, and at the same time the storyline didn't seem at all compressed/rushed. Extremely well-done series.

Being a huge X-files fan, it was nice to see Gillian Anderson in a somewhat similar role - in this case, she's an LE investigator in the UK, and affects an authentic British accent.
[Show spoiler]Also interesting to see her character as very sexual; the scene when she propositioned that one young officer she had just met - and later slept with in her hotel room that night - was somewhat of a surprise. Agent Scully would never have acted like that - LOL.

The show itself is extremely disturbing, and involves a serial killer. The forensic elements appear to be extremely well-done & authentic.

Series 1:

I liked the fact that at the end of S1, the serial killer hadn't been caught yet. His covering up his crime & leaving the area was a surprise. Also surprising that the killer as a family man who loves his wife & kids, and has a job as a counselor - and that he's able to keep the two "lives" separate. Most of the serial killers in real life & in previous TV shows/movies are pathetic losers, though some have been married.

Going along with this, it was interesting that the identity of the serial killer was made obvious at the very beginning of the series, instead of leaving it a mystery. This didn't take away from the effectiveness of the show at all, and instead made it more disturbing - i.e., seeing this guy be a regular "family man" and working as a bereavement counselor, while doing horrific things "after hours".

Series 2:

Extremely disturbing storyline re: the cat & mouse game that the serial killer was playing with the LE; though, you could tell they would eventually catch him, you just didn't know how it was going to happen ahead of time.

One of the favorite sequences was towards the end of S2,
[Show spoiler]when the killer thought he was going to escape after he was attacked by the irate husband & the subsequent shoot out - and then was taken into custody after he left the cordoned-off area.

Going along with this, the sub-plot re:
[Show spoiler]having the husband of one of the killer's "customers" at the bereavement center be enraged at him was a brilliant plotline; this culminated in the husband shooting him & the LE officer when they were looking for Rose Stagg in the woods. Excellent finale here, and the killer's serious injuries led to the tense hospital sequences in the beginning of S3.

Series 3:

This final series just illustrates several issues I have with the criminal justice system in general:

1) There was a lot of money & time spent
[Show spoiler]on saving the serial killer's life (at the hospital) after he had been shot by the irate husband. This is despite the fact that he had committed many horrific crimes; the GA character wanted him alive so he could stand trial for his crimes - however, he was getting better medical treatment than a lot of poor people do - despite the fact that many of these poor people have never committed crimes.

Who was paying for this killer's medial treatment?! Neither the killer nor the killer's family was - so, it was obviously the taxpayers, of course.

2) Some criminals who commit horrific crimes are treated as "mentally ill" and coddled as a result, when they instead should be treated as violent criminals.
[Show spoiler]I.e., in this show the serial killer should have been in a maximum security prison from the beginning, not in a minimum security mental hospital.

Even after he attacked the GA character and the young LE officer at the interview near the end, he still ended up back at the hospital - where he killed another inmate & viciously attacked a doctor - before killing himself.
However, none of this would have happened if he had been in a maximum security prison from the beginning.

3) Defense attorneys who are only in it for the money/fame. Obviously everyone out there - no matter their crime - deserves to be represented. However, as illustrated in S3 here, there are some out there who are only interested in representing someone for the fame/notoriety a case will bring them - even if they are 100% sure the defendant is guilty.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 11-04-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

^ Although American by birth she grew up (early years) and currently lives in London, so she does a good American accent when needed
Old 11-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
^ Although American by birth she grew up (early years) and currently lives in London, so she does a good American accent when needed
Interesting. Yeah, she did a great American accent in X-files

I've noticed that UK actors/actresses seem to easily transition into speaking American-accented English for movie/TV roles - however, it seems to be more difficult for American actors/actresses to convincingly affect a UK accent.

When I was in London on vacation about three years ago, I noted a lot of people who seemed to live there speaking English with American/Canadian accents - I guess they were transplants...or they were faking the accent
Old 11-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Some criminals who commit horrific crimes are treated as "mentally ill" and coddled as a result, when they instead should be treated as violent criminals.
[Show spoiler]I.e., in this show the serial killer should have been in a maximum security prison from the beginning, not in a minimum security mental hospital.

Even after he attacked the GA character and the young LE officer at the interview near the end, he still ended up back at the hospital - where he killed another inmate & viciously attacked a doctor - before killing himself.
See, knowing quite a bit about secure hospitals, this never could have happened. The amount of times they showed staff walking in front of a patient with their back to them...that NEVER happens. No member of staff ever turns their back on a patient, even if they are the sweetest patient in the world.

He also wouldn't be allowed to be alone in the therapy room with the doctor without another member of staff present.

Obviously all this is creative license, but it did bug me a little bit.

[Show spoiler]There would be literally nothing he would have been able to hang that belt from. It's impossible.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewerepuppygrr View Post
See, knowing quite a bit about secure hospitals, this never could have happened. The amount of times they showed staff walking in front of a patient with their back to them...that NEVER happens. No member of staff ever turns their back on a patient, even if they are the sweetest patient in the world.

He also wouldn't be allowed to be alone in the therapy room with the doctor without another member of staff present.

Obviously all this is creative license, but it did bug me a little bit.

[Show spoiler]There would be literally nothing he would have been able to hang that belt from. It's impossible.
Good to know - I know nothing about hospitals like this, but this did seem very lax - especially when he was alone in the therapy room with the doctor. This was a violent criminal, and they were treating him like a non-violent offender.

Ditto for that young guy who had done that horrible thing to his sister
[Show spoiler](the one who the killer used to create a disruption in the break room & then took out at the end). He was also being treated very mildly as well.

I was also surprised that the killer was being interviewed with Stella (G. Anderson) and the young policemen (with the wounded arm) without any security present in the room & without at least handcuffing the killer.
[Show spoiler]Did they really expect Stella & the wounded policeman to defend themselves if the killer chose to attack him - as he did?! Granted, security came in right afterwards, but not before he beat the crap out of both of them, including breaking the young LE officer's arm.

And then, after this incident,
[Show spoiler]they still didn't increase security around him at the hospital?! Yeah, right...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Tags
crime, fall, gillian anderson, jamie dornan