Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
17 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Megabeast Investigator Juspion (Blu-ray)
$35.37

The Alienist: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
United Kingdom Top of the Pops (music programme)

Tonight's Top of the Pops: 1983 repeat on BBC Four was first shown on the BBC on Wednesday 8th June, 1983 (instead of being in it's usual Thursday evening timeslot). The longer version is on at 1 am. On this edition the song which was at No.1 was there for a second week, having knocked New Edition off the top spot the week before (who had been at No.1 for one week, having knocked Spandau Ballet off the top spot after being at No.1 for four weeks with True (a classic, in my opinion).

Tomorrow night's repeat on BBC Four is from Thursday 23rd June, 1983, and next week the editions being shown are from 30th June and 7th July, 1983.

Not sure when it'll be, but later on in the Top of the Pops: 1983 repeat run, is the Smiths' debut on the programme.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 03-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (04-12-2017), Steedeel (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Tonight's Top of the Pops: 1983 repeat on BBC Four was first shown on the BBC on Wednesday 8th June, 1983 (instead of being in it's usual Thursday evening timeslot). The longer version is on at 1 am. On this edition there was a new song at No.1, knocking New Edition off the top spot (who were at No.1 for one week, having knocked Spandau Ballet off the top spot after being at No.1 for four weeks with True (a classic, in my opinion).

Tomorrow night's repeat on BBC Four is from Thursday 23rd June, 1983, and next week the editions being shown are from 30th June and 7th July, 1983.

Not sure when it'll be, but later on in the Top of the Pops: 1983 repeat run, is the Smiths' debut on the programme.
Yes! Finally, we get to the real quality. Love me some Morrisey!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Edited the starter post because I realised late last night that the song which knocked New Edition off the top spot, was the new No.1 song on the 2nd June, 1983 edition of Top of the Pops, which BBC Four couldn't show.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 03-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-24-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

I can actually remember the 1983 TOTP as I was 8 at the time. I mostly remember the chart countdown music, do you know what it is called? It's a synth tune that they use when they are counting down the chart numbers.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
I can actually remember the 1983 TOTP as I was 8 at the time. I mostly remember the chart countdown music, do you know what it is called? It's a synth tune that they use when they are counting down the chart numbers.
In July, 1981 the show's theme tune was changed to Yellow Pearl by Phil Lynott (new titles debuted as well). A variation of the new theme tune was used over the chart rundown/countdown.

On the 1,000th edition of Top of the Pops, a shortened version of the titles debuted (there was a variation on the chart rundown/countdown as well). As BBC Four couldn't show that edition (it originally aired on 5th May, 1983), the first edition they could show with the updated titles and chart rundown/countdown was the 12th May, 1983 edition.

In April, 1986 the show's theme tune was changed to The Wizard by Paul Hardcastle and there were new titles.
Thanks given by:
robgmun (04-12-2017), Steedeel (03-28-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Two editions on BBC Four next week, from 14th July and 28th July, 1983.

Once I've got my radio/CD player sorted out (the sound crackles on the speakers), I'll be able to play some CDs again. After seeing them on the show, I've thought about getting an album by The Passions and a greatest hits album by The Mobiles and Shakatak.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (04-12-2017), Steedeel (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Two editions on BBC Four next week, from 14th July and 28th July, 1983.

Once I've got my radio/CD player sorted out (the sound crackles on the speakers), I'll be able to play some CDs again. After seeing them on the show, I've thought about getting an album by The Passions and a greatest hits album by The Mobiles and Shakatak.
The show is certainly a memory jogger. It's amazing how many songs I had forgot.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
All i knew that it was made by Paul Hardcastle who had a hit with "19"
Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
All i knew that it was made by Paul Hardcastle who had a hit with "19"
Great, will get it now.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

The song 19 by Paul Hardcastle is very good, but I have a 'throwing my toys out of the pram' moment when I remind myself that this song prevented Duran Duran's A View to a Kill from getting to No.1 in the UK in 1985 (it peaked at No.2, but reached the top spot in the US).

The repeated editions this week - only one edition from August, 1983 can be shown (the 11th August edition, presented by Richard Skinner and the late Tommy Vance), and then on Friday night the first edition from September, 1983 is being shown (the 1st September edition, presented by the late John Peel, and David Jensen). Two different songs at No.1 this week.

Next week, the 8th and 22nd September, 1983 editions are being shown on BBC Four (two different songs at No.1 next week as well; the latter would stay at No.1 for six weeks).

The highlights for me on last week's repeated editions were songs by The Lotus Eaters, K.C. & the Sunshine Band (the first record I remember buying), David Sylvian & Riuichi Sakamoto (from the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence), Heaven 17, Donna Summer and The Creatures (Siouxsie Sioux would be back on the show later in the year with one of my favourite songs from the 80s, Dear Prudence).
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
The song 19 by Paul Hardcastle is very good, but I have a 'throwing my toys out of the pram' moment when I remind myself that this song prevented Duran Duran's A View to a Kill from getting to No.1 in the UK in 1985 (it peaked at No.2, but reached the top spot in the US).

The repeated editions this week - only one edition from August, 1983 can be shown (the 11th August edition, presented by Richard Skinner and the late Tommy Vance), and then on Friday night the first edition from September, 1983 is being shown (the 1st September edition, presented by the late John Peel, and David Jensen). Two different songs at No.1 this week.

Next week, the 8th and 22nd September, 1983 editions are being shown on BBC Four (two different songs at No.1 next week as well; the latter would stay at No.1 for six weeks).

The highlights for me on last week's repeated editions were songs by The Lotus Eaters, K.C. & the Sunshine Band (the first record I remember buying), David Sylvian & Riuichi Sakamoto (from the film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence), Heaven 17, Donna Summer and The Creatures (Siouxsie Sioux would be back on the show later in the year with one of my favourite songs from the 80s, Dear Prudence).
Yes, I liked that song. I actually enjoyed the film as well, although it is considered one of the lesser Moore efforts.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #12
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Two editions of the show from October, 1983 are on BBC Four next week - the 6th and 13th October editions. Tonight's repeat (the longer version) is on at 12.25 am and tomorrow night's repeat of the longer version is on at midnight (times are subject to change).

Last edited by OceanBlue; 04-20-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (04-25-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Last week the 20th October and 3rd November, 1983 editions were shown on BBC Four. This week, the 10th and 24th November editions are being shown. Next week the 8th and 15th December editions will be shown, so hopefully in early June BBC Four will be showing a documentary (and Big Hits compilation programme) about the show in 1984.

Oh, and The Smiths are on the 24th November, 1983 edition.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Last week the 20th October and 3rd November, 1983 editions were shown on BBC Four. This week, the 10th and 24th November editions are being shown. Next week the 8th and 15th December editions will be shown, so hopefully in early June BBC Four will be showing a documentary (and Big Hits compilation programme) about the show in 1984.

Oh, and The Smiths are on the 24th November, 1983 edition.
Cheers Ocean, will record that.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Finally watched a Morrisey Ocean. I'm not miserable now.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #16
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Finally watched a Morrisey Ocean. I'm not miserable now.
You've got a couple more double bills to go before you reach the documentary and Big Hits compilation programme. This Thursday night the special 20th anniversary edition from 5th January, 1984 will be shown, then on Friday the 12th January edition is being shown. No editions are being shown next week.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You've got a couple more double bills to go before you reach the documentary and Big Hits compilation programme. This Thursday night the special 20th anniversary edition from 5th January, 1984 will be shown, then on Friday the 12th January edition is being shown. No editions are being shown next week.
Cheers Ocean.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Cheers Ocean.
The Smiths are on the Big Hits compilation programme.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
The Smiths are on the Big Hits compilation programme.
Thanks Ocean.

Enjoying working my way through the shows.

Watched Erasure special last night.

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't TOTP, it was Sounds Of The 80's

Last edited by Steedeel; 06-21-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #20
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Thanks Ocean.

Enjoying working my way through the shows.

Watched Erasure special last night.

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't TOTP, it was Sounds Of The 80's
It'll be a couple of years before BBC Four get to the editions of Top of the Pops from 1986, which was when Erasure had their first UK music single chart hit.

The Smiths (minus Morrissey) were on the edition shown last Friday night, from 26th April, 1984, with Sandie Shaw (the song was called Hand in Glove).

I saw something on the BBC News channel recently about a Morrissey biopic coming out in UK cinemas.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows