Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
19 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.19
4 hrs ago
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$199.99

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.29
3 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$12.79
20 hrs ago
Strays (Blu-ray)
$16.79
5 hrs ago
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82
16 hrs ago
FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Old 12-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #21
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
The worst is Strangers on the Shore. Yep, what's funnier than a terrified guy who doesn't speak English who thinks he has been kidnapped? It makes for an uncomfortable, bi-polar experience when having the ashes of Albert being scattered in the same episode. The show was tired by this point, and really shouldn't have come back after the 1996 finale.

It's a damn good job that they followed it up with Sleepless in Peckham, saving the show from going out on a turd and providing a story with a superb reveal/payoff, along with a chance for Jason & Lyndhurst to playing things like the old days.
Yes, I'd have to agree with you there, I'd rather they just finished the whole thing after the Time On Their Hands episode. And you're right with regards to Sleepless In Peckham - probably the best of the episodes they made after the 1996 trilogy, and better than 'If They Could See Us Now'.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
I gather the version on the DVD is shorter than the one originally broadcast. I don't remember seeing this episode when it was originally shown, so I don't know what's missing. However the full version was on VHS apparently - very strange.
Yes, and the recent tv edit I saw was even worse with missing content. Luckily I have the VHS but one day i wonít have a player and it will be forever lost.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #23
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Luckily I have the VHS but one day i wonít have a player and it will be forever lost.
Yes, I have the same problem. I've got loads of stuff on VHS which have never been released on DVD (or blu-ray) and probably never will. My VCR player sadly will be receiving its last rites very shortly so these recordings will be lost. I've transfered as much as I could onto DVD by connecting the VCR to a DVD recorder, but even the latter is on it's way out (I had it since 2004).
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yes, I have the same problem. I've got loads of stuff on VHS which have never been released on DVD (or blu-ray) and probably never will. My VCR player sadly will be receiving its last rites very shortly so these recordings will be lost. I've transfered as much as I could onto DVD by connecting the VCR to a DVD recorder, but even the latter is on it's way out (I had it since 2004).
At least I have seen every episode countless times!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
At least I have seen every episode countless times!
Some of the stuff I have includes some old Spitting Image episodes from the late 80's to early 1990's. I also still have a programme the BBC showed called The Shape of a Nation (broadcast mid-80's I think) where you're shown a bird's-eye view of the entire UK coastline starting off in Land's End and working it's way around anti-clockwise. I'd love to have this on DVD or Blu-ray as the scenery is stunning.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Too many excellent comedy moments (and some tears: that scene in the 'broken down' lift
[Show spoiler]when Del persuades Rodney to come to terms with Cassandra's miscarriage
- a really good performance from Lyndhurst there) to choose from, but Trigger's quotes are hard to beat.

[Show spoiler]

"If it's a girl they're calling her Sigourney after an actress, and if it's a boy they're naming him Rodney... after Dave."

And that scene when Rodney mentions Warhol's '15 minute' quote:

Rodney: "People become famous for a little while then they disappear. Like Renee and Renato...Simon Dee..."

Trigger: "...Or Gandhi."

Rodney: "Yeah, yeah exactly. See, so maybe this time, it's our...Gandhi?!"

Trigger: "Yeah. I mean, he made one great film and then you never saw him again."

Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #27
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Great scene in 'Mother Nature's Son' where Denzil, Trigger and Del are outside the council waste depot in the middle of the night with the oil drums in the back of their van to dispose of. Despite Trigger saying the depot was open 24 hours a day, they arrive to find the gates are shut.

I can't recall word-for-word, but the conversation is something like this:

Denzil: "It's shut"
Trigger: "Well yeah, it's late"
Del: "What do you mean it's late, I thought you said it was open 24 hours a day?"
Trigger: "Yeah but not during the night!"
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Some of the stuff I have includes some old Spitting Image episodes from the late 80's to early 1990's. I also still have a programme the BBC showed called The Shape of a Nation (broadcast mid-80's I think) where you're shown a bird's-eye view of the entire UK coastline starting off in Land's End and working it's way around anti-clockwise. I'd love to have this on DVD or Blu-ray as the scenery is stunning.
Can’t remember that one. Would have been cool to see. I have so many memories of shows like Auf Weidersein Pet, Just Good Friends, That’s Life, Q.E.D (great documentary series) Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, Worzel Gummidge, Grange Hill, Bagpus, Mr Benn etc..
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Canít remember that one. Would have been cool to see. I have so many memories of shows like Auf Weidersein Pet, Just Good Friends, Thatís Life, Q.E.D (great documentary series) Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, Worzel Gummidge, Grange Hill, Bagpus, Mr Benn etc..
Ah yes, I've many happy memories of these shows too. That's Life was on a Sunday night at the time I was at high school, and whenever I heard that theme tune, I knew the weekend was over.

I would add Blackadder to the list, as I love the whole four series. In fact, it's probably the only show I like Rowan Atkinson in. I've certainly never liked his Mr. Bean character.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #30
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
.... but Trigger's quotes are hard to beat.
I totally agree. I remember in 'Chain Gang' when Del Boy, Boycie, and Trigger return back to the flat with a briefcase full of gold chains that they were about to buy from Arnie after getting them checked out.

As they walk in, Del suggests a drink for everyone. Boycie declines saying he doesn't want to be premature, and Trigger responds by saying: "Yes, Marlene said something about that the other day".
Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

One of my all time favorite Trigger quotes.

Rodney:
This is bit like one of them Agatha Christie films innit.

Trigger:
Yeah I used to fancy her.

Rodney:
You used to fancy Agatha Christie?

Trigger:
Yeah, I had a picture of her on my bedroom wall.

Denzil:
She was an old lady, old English country gardens, and granny hats.

Del:
Yeah she looked a bit like Mr. Kipling's bit on the side.

Trigger:
Well I fancied her. I saw her in that film Doctor Zhivago.

Boycie:
That's Julie Christie, you berk!
Thanks given by:
CrockettandTubbs (01-02-2018), dublinbluray108 (02-26-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Ah yes, I've many happy memories of these shows too. That's Life was on a Sunday night at the time I was at high school, and whenever I heard that theme tune, I knew the weekend was over.

I would add Blackadder to the list, as I love the whole four series. In fact, it's probably the only show I like Rowan Atkinson in. I've certainly never liked his Mr. Bean character.
Sunday night was great tv wise (horrible for school haters like me apart from that). I can remember Hammer House Of Horror tv show being on ITV on Sunday night. I bought the DVD a while back and I understand it is coming to Blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

Maybe you guys can help me out.

Dying to see the Only Fools documentary that Gold released a month or two ago. Haven't had much luck with my online searching.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #34
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Sunday night was great tv wise (horrible for school haters like me apart from that). I can remember Hammer House Of Horror tv show being on ITV on Sunday night. I bought the DVD a while back and I understand it is coming to Blu-ray.
Yes they are available on Blu-ray by Network - all 13 episodes. Up to now I've only watched a couple of episodes as I only bought it just before Christmas, but I have to say the picture quality is great for a 70's TV show.

I already left school by this point, but a highlight for Sunday night TV for me was Spitting Image, which began back in 1984. It was normally on about 10 o'clock or thereabouts, but I rarely ever missed it.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yes they are available on Blu-ray by Network - all 13 episodes. Up to now I've only watched a couple of episodes as I only bought it just before Christmas, but I have to say the picture quality is great for a 70's TV show.

I already left school by this point, but a highlight for Sunday night TV for me was Spitting Image, which began back in 1984. It was normally on about 10 o'clock or thereabouts, but I rarely ever missed it.
Yeah I remember spitting image.

Wasnít the Avengers on ITV after it sometimes? Sunday night was epic. I also remember Saturdays with Wonder Woman, The Pink Panther and Doctor Who all on the same night.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #36
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler The Slag View Post

Dying to see the Only Fools documentary that Gold released a month or two ago. Haven't had much luck with my online searching.
I think at the moment UK Gold is showing "David Jason: My Life On Screen", so I'm guessing the other documentary will probably be repeated quite soon - especially given the fact that the OFAH episodes themselves are repeated very regularly.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #37
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:

Wasnít the Avengers on ITV after it sometimes? Sunday night was epic. I also remember Saturdays with Wonder Woman, The Pink Panther and Doctor Who all on the same night.
I honestly can't remember when The Avengers was shown. As a kid, I used to love The Professionals, The Sweeney, Minder, and I'm sure there was another show involving two cops but can't for the life of me remember its name. These were probably shown during the week I think rather than weekends.

Saturday nights were great. Maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses, but we had fewer channels and yet seemed to have more choice on the three terrestrial channels (before Channel 4 came along). Not like now - soaps and more soaps every night, reality shows.....thank goodness for DVD's / Blu-rays.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-04-2018), thecooldud (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #38
Special Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Quote:
I honestly can't remember when The Avengers was shown. As a kid, I used to love The Professionals, The Sweeney, Minder, and I'm sure there was another show involving two cops but can't for the life of me remember its name.
Dempsey and Makepeace, by any chance?
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-04-2018), Steedeel (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #39
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
Dempsey and Makepeace, by any chance?
Yes, that's the one.

I should have pointed out that these were a bit later, possibly mid-80's or so, whilst the other 3 shows I mentioned go back to the late 70's/early 80's.
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #40
Banned

Dec 2017

Quote:
Hammer House of Horror was saturday nights on ITV and one of the few occasions an ITC series was networked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler The Slag View Post

Just copied this from Tivo to my Pioneer hard drive so once its edited I will burn it to dvd along with the David Jason documentaries too. I have a V6 downstairs but you can't get recordings off it so this is the only reason I have a Tivo second box

Quote:

Like most ITC shows HHOH was shot on cinema quality 35mm film so will look as good as any theatrical movie. For the technical reasons explained on the box HHOH shines up better than usual and the exteriors of the English countryside in particular are breathtaking quality

Quote:

Wasn’t the Avengers on ITV after it sometimes? Sunday night was epic. I also remember Saturdays with Wonder Woman, The Pink Panther and Doctor Who all on the same night.
ITV haven't shown the original Avengers since the early 70's , unless you were in Yorkshire who gave the colour Rigg episodes a final blast in 1976 in the months leading up to the arrival of The New Avengers.
As someone else mentioned Dempsey and Makepeace could be the one or even The Professionals which was created by and produced by the same team as The Avengers
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Tags
david jason, del boy, only fools and horses, rodney